Page 4 of 175 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    A friend of mine lives with and takes care of her grandmother, who has Alzheimer's. She says her grandmother's doctor doesn't listen to her about her grandmother's mental state.
    I would suggest that she find another doctor, but I don't know the legalities of the situation and whether she can make that decision for her mother.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I would suggest that she find another doctor, but I don't know the legalities of the situation and whether she can make that decision for her mother.
    If the mother does have Alzheimer's, she is not capable of making such decisions for herself. The daughter should look into a power of attorney, if she doesn't have it already.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

The problem, as I understand it, is the rest of the family. My friend's uncle apparently believes that my friend has a cushy job and is just in it to soak her grandmother for her money. (Not anywhere near plentiful enough to make it worthwhile from my friend's perspective.) She was going to let the doctor have it this afternoon, and I hope things will be going better for her. Apparently, her grandmother is having paranoia issues and locks my friend out of her room because my friend is One of Them or some such. It's getting bad, and my friend doesn't get any time off. She missed my baby shower because no one in the family would come sit with her grandmother for the day. But yeah, cushy job and she only wants to get the money.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The problem, as I understand it, is the rest of the family. My friend's uncle apparently believes that my friend has a cushy job and is just in it to soak her grandmother for her money. (Not anywhere near plentiful enough to make it worthwhile from my friend's perspective.) She was going to let the doctor have it this afternoon, and I hope things will be going better for her. Apparently, her grandmother is having paranoia issues and locks my friend out of her room because my friend is One of Them or some such. It's getting bad, and my friend doesn't get any time off. She missed my baby shower because no one in the family would come sit with her grandmother for the day. But yeah, cushy job and she only wants to get the money.
    Unfortunately that attitude is all too familiar. When my grandmother was dying, my mother regularly drove two hours 2 or 3 times a week to help my uncle take care of her (while still working), while her other daughter (unemployed) lived 15 minutes away and did nothing. After my grandmother passed away and a will was involved, my aunt suddenly became all familial and a "dutiful daughter". The resulting fight over property caused a split that lasts to this day.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

My wife was watching tornado coverage from Oklahoma yesterday on CNN. They were interviewing some stormchaser who was complaining about "all the idiots out there on the road, trying to see the storm." Pot, meet kettle.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My wife was watching tornado coverage from Oklahoma yesterday on CNN. ...
    I watched MSNBC. They were feeding the OKC NBC affiliate's coverage.

I have cousins in OKC... Bethany, Yukon, south OKC. The cousin in Yukon just checked in. She has no phone service, but does have email (gotta love technology). She, her son, and the dog spent a couple of hours in the master bedroom closet, but they're okay with no property damage beyond lots of tree limbs in the yard.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

My wife was watching tornado coverage from Oklahoma yesterday on CNN. They were interviewing some stormchaser who was complaining about "all the idiots out there on the road, trying to see the storm." Pot, meet kettle.
    Well...I can see his point...up to a point. If we're talking about an experienced, working stormchaser gathering data vs. Joe Bagodonuts who wouldn't know weather from whether then yeah, I think there could be a big difference. But if the stormchaser is just out satisfying a thrill craving, not so much.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Well...I can see his point...up to a point. If we're talking about an experienced, working stormchaser gathering data vs. Joe Bagodonuts who wouldn't know weather from whether then yeah, I think there could be a big difference. But if the stormchaser is just out satisfying a thrill craving, not so much.
    Not just satisfying cheap thrills, but hoping to make a quick buck selling video to CNN.

Today: driving in downtown Anchorage on one of the more congested streets, near the muni bus station. The SUV in front of me stops, blocking the lane, to make a drop off but not right away. Apparently, it didn't occur to anyone to get ready before stopping. The first to finally appear was an elderly woman who doesn't get around so well. Okay, she deserves a drop...but on the traffic side? One lane blocked, the other impeded. Then a couple of children got out, one after the other. The first, again, got out on the traffic side. The other exited onto the curb, then was called back to take grandma's purse. With all this done, the driver still didn't move immediately but seemed to fuss with something in her lap. Brilliant.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I'm constantly amazed how oblivious people can be of their surroundings while driving. Especially in parking lots, where keeping to the right becomes forgotten.

I'm constantly amazed how oblivious people can be of their surroundings while driving. Especially in parking lots, where keeping to the right becomes forgotten.
    My maternal grandmother had the frightening habit of always looking straight ahead while driving. Even despite being repeatedly advised not to do that! Fortunately she spent most of her life in tiny towns, where locals knew her.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    People who profess that it's okay to let stupid people really hurt themselves. Especially those who cite "gene pool filter!"

That came up after I had to educate somebody that there are seriously major differences between carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide that goes beyond mere pronunciation. This person thought that both were inert smothering gases and that CO exposure was okay in a ventilated space. (Enough to set off the ceiling alarms!) His answer was to open the windows until the alarms stopped.

I felt compelled to elucidate his error and further more I wouldn't leave him alone about it until he found the source. (Roofers blocked the water heater flue.)

Gaah!
    Or may be , doing good , you operate the really existing "gene pool filter" ! I mean : who can say anymore that evolution is only about competition and selfishness ? It is also about cooperation and altruism.

I was in a grocery store when a woman criticized me for threatening to spank my kids. My kids were misbehaving and I told them "If you don't stop, I will have you spank each other."

My daughter said "Who?"

I said "You will spank each other." They seemed to be interested in the idea so I explained that they would play rock-paper-scissors to see who was going to spank who. The next thing I know, my kids got out of line and sat on a bench and started playing rock-paper-scissors. The cashier thought it was funny, as did the older couple in front of me. Problem solved or so I though.

The woman behind me didn't think it was funny at all and told me all about it. When I didn't respond to her, she stood there muttering stuff at me. I should have let my kids annoy her instead of getting all creative.
    Solfe

Especially in parking lots, where keeping to the right becomes forgotten.
    Is that somehow different than every other paved surface in your country?

Quote Originally Posted by ipsniffer View Post
    Is that somehow different than every other paved surface in your country?
    Mostly, we keep to the right. (Though I've seen people do incredibly stupid things.) I think part of the problem is that some parking lots are supposed to be one lane and people think they're two, and some parking lots are supposed to be two lanes and people think they're one.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

The folks who drive the wrong way down a lane in a parking lot are bad, but not as bad as the folks who don't use the lanes at all.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

The other day during evening rush hour, I was driving in the center lane of this freeway (I-271). Nearly past the exit ramp for this street, the car in front of me comes to a dead stop, trying to cut over to get off the exit. I came to a screeching halt in back of her (luckily I understand safe spacing). She (yes, I noted the gender of the driver) waits, completely stopped, for about 30 to 45 seconds, until she can cut across the right lane, and exit out the exit ramp. There was a line of cars in back of me in the center lane; given how much people usually tailgate, I'm amazed there wasn't a chain-reaction pile up.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

IOW, daily Houston traffic.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

I had someone switch into my lane--and almost into my car--downtown today so they could get into a parking lot. The pedestrian at the crosswalk right by the parking lot entrance gave me a sympathetic look.

"You can't erase icing."

I only just learned that three of the chasers were killed on Friday. We were watching something on the Discovery channel with those same guys just a few weeks ago. The team leader, now deceased, was being criticized on the show for being too cautious. As far as I'm concerned Discovery has blood on its hands.

Link

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    IOW, daily Houston traffic.
    What do you mean? I have never seen anyone even slow down, much less use the blinker, before cutting across lanes to exit.

That I wouldn't mind so much. (Heck, see it all the time and can - literally - live with it.)

What gets me are those drivers who find the far left (or right) lane moving well, so they stay in it until they've reached their exit. Which is always on the other side of the freeway. If there's even a little room, they'll cut across w/o slowing. But if there's no room, they'll slow down - even stop - waiting for a gap to appear.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

If we take the freeway going west, the right lane becomes exit-only at the next exit. Invariably, there are people who will not let you out of the exit-only lane if you don't want to get off the freeway but got on at our onramp. If you try to speed up and pass them, they speed up, too. Slowing down is literally the only option. I think part of the problem is that the right lane is exit-only, and the middle lane means you can exit but don't have to.

"You can't erase icing."

If my friend keeps venting at me, I'm going to tell her that I think her husband is a lousy dad. I won't be able to stop myself.

"You can't erase icing."

If we take the freeway going west, the right lane becomes exit-only at the next exit. Invariably, there are people who will not let you out of the exit-only lane if you don't want to get off the freeway but got on at our onramp. If you try to speed up and pass them, they speed up, too. Slowing down is literally the only option. I think part of the problem is that the right lane is exit-only, and the middle lane means you can exit but don't have to.
    This is my situation leaving work every morning. My solution has been to speed up and put on my turn signal. That's the sign for the guy blocking me to speed up to block me in, since if anyone gets in front of you the game is lost. Or something. As soon as I see them react, I let off on the gas and tap the brake to get a spot in behind them. it's works about 75% of the time. Having someone behind me foils it.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Found out today that our state has started outsourcing the drivers' tests. We can either pay an additional $20 or $25 to a driving school for it, or we can drive an hour north to the nearest Department of Licensing office that still does the tests. I shudder to think how much extra they must charge for the driving test--this is just the written one!

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I had a series of really terrible math teachers combined with very badly written textbooks, that turned me so off to math that by the time I realized that without knowing math I couldn't really understand science, it was too late; I was practically discalculic. I still am to this day, it's like my brain shuts off when I try to do math. I need a calculator for anything higher than finger-counting.
    I think we went to different schools together.

I had a big problem with the show your work issue. Even though I could see the correct answer I couldn't tell you how I did it so would be marked down 25 to 50 percent per problem for not doing so. I found that discouraging.

I had an old German math teacher in seventh grade who thought my problem was reading too many comic books. I did have a smallishly huge collection of minorly brobdinagian proportions. (But I knew people who were worse!)

I wasn't able to rectify the math issue until I was in my late thirties. Oddly enough I found out I enjoyed algebra the same way I enjoyed anacrostics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anacrostic

I'm starting to get non-trivially annoyed at the attitudes toward comic books. It's like we're trapped in the days of Fredric Wertham!

"You can't erase icing."

I'm starting to get non-trivially annoyed at the attitudes toward comic books. It's like we're trapped in the days of Fredric Wertham!
    Wasn't he the villian defeated by Ant-Man in Marvel #362?
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    I had a big problem with the show your work issue.
    In one engineering class, we were given a problem in the text book to solve. I had the answer, but couldn't figure out how to get from one to the other.

So, I wrote the problem at the top of the sheet and worked it down the page as far as I could go. I wrote the answer at the bottom and worked it as far back up the page as I could. Then, in the white space in between, I wrote some random numbers and symbols and turned it in.

Score, 8 out of 10, with a note that the TA couldn't quite follow that middle part.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who