Page 172 of 175 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174 ... LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,160 of 5234

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

The Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival is cancelled. It's non-trivial because of the reason -- we are having more Covid-19 cases here than at any time since the start of the pandemic.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I've had two seizures, both in times and places where I was able to get immediate medical attention. Once in a Hospital. The second time, I was visiting the US Capital, in my Congressman's office!
    If you were in your congressman’s office, I guess you were visiting both the capital and the Capitol.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    If you were in your congressman’s office, I guess you were visiting both the capital and the Capitol.
    Doh!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

My father has Covid and pneumonia. He's 80 and in poor health. On oxygen now.

I might be going to Florida for a while. Waiting to see.

Oh, no. You have our sympathies.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

So sorry. Lots of foolishness been going on in that state.

Sorry to hear about that. I hope his situation gets better.
    As above, so below

I'm sorry to hear that, as well. I'm hoping the best for him.

My wife learned yesterday that her father is home from the hospital.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Spoke to Dad today. He has been on a breathing device most of the night and yesterday. But now he was able to make a phone call and talk briefly.

Spoke to Dad today. He has been on a breathing device most of the night and yesterday. But now he was able to make a phone call and talk briefly.
    Good luck to him - and you.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

This doesn’t affect me but is a bit shocking - South Lake Tahoe (that’s up in the Sierra Nevada mountains at the border between California and Nevada) is under mandatory evacuation orders because of a major fire that just took off. The thing is, I don’t ever recall that occurring there before. It’s a very nice place and easy and quick to reach from here for a vacation (and if you like to gamble, Nevada is close by).

Again, it doesn’t affect me except that it makes me sad to see it.

Locally, still off and on smoke with recommendations to stay inside on some days.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

My father didn't make it. His heart gave out. Still numb and in shock

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear that. I didn’t know him but it still hurts.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    My father didn't make it. His heart gave out. Still numb and in shock
    Very sorry to hear that.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

My deepest sympathy.

My deepest sympathies. I'm glad you had the chance to talk with him.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

My deepest sympathies.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Oh, no. So sorry.

Wishing you strength.

My condolences to you and your family.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Very sorry to hear that NCN. I hope you and your family emerge well from the grief that you're feeling now.

I'm sorry to hear this NCN.

It could have been a lot worse but I have had to lend my son one of our cars. Late on Tuesday night as he was going home from his workshop his Isuzu D-Max was hit by someone going through a Red Light. Luckily all involved are uninjured but the other driver was uninsured. Injury to other persons caused by a vehicle accident is covered in a vehicle's registration fees but not property damage. The other car was a write-off and my sons is now being assessed by his insurance company - it was hit on the rear drivers side wheel so the suspension etc has been damaged. He will be getting a 'courtesy car' from the repair yard in a few days but this a real hassle for someone running their own small business.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    It could have been a lot worse but I have had to lend my son one of our cars. Late on Tuesday night as he was going home from his workshop his Isuzu D-Max was hit by someone going through a Red Light. Luckily all involved are uninjured but the other driver was uninsured. Injury to other persons caused by a vehicle accident is covered in a vehicle's registration fees but not property damage. The other car was a write-off and my sons is now being assessed by his insurance company - it was hit on the rear drivers side wheel so the suspension etc has been damaged. He will be getting a 'courtesy car' from the repair yard in a few days but this a real hassle for someone running their own small business.
    Oh what a nightmare! I often wonder how many uninsured drivers are out there. In the UK the cameras can link to a database and that has reduced the number but not in quiet roads and the countryside. Of course many uninsured drivers will be very careful, but that depends….Well it is good there were no injuries.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Yes it is the hassle of waiting for everything to happen that is the problem now especially as he is flat out at work. But certainly the lack of any injuries was a big relief.

I once sat in our parked car when a car parked next to us, and slammed their door into our car when opening it. When I confronted the lady about it, she flat out denied it. I mean, lying is one thing, but it happened while I was in the car. It happened literally 20cm away from me. Most people grow out of that lying-about-the-obvious behaviour by the age of 4, some don't. Then, out of the blue, she claims "I am insured" while still denying everything and making a big scene. I am quite convinced she was not insured. Which is quite a feat here, because during the yearly inspection they check insurance and they also have license plate camera's in many locations. Some people...

Anyway, I can't understand how you can dare to go on the road without insurance. Every meter is a good chance to financially ruin yourself. My heart would give out before I reach the supermarket.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Anyway, I can't understand how you can dare to go on the road without insurance. Every meter is a good chance to financially ruin yourself. My heart would give out before I reach the supermarket.
    Car insurance is a constant expense that can be financial ruin to someone below the poverty level. Yes, you're taking a chance, but in places here, at least, it's almost impossible to work if you don't have a car.

"You can't erase icing."

Insurance is a funny thing.

You're basically making a financial bet against the insurance company, which you're both hoping that they will win.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Insurance is a funny thing.

You're basically making a financial bet against the insurance company, which you're both hoping that they will win.
    I am always especially sort of 'amused' by life insurance for the same reason. You are betting that you will die young, while not wishing for it, while the insurance company is fervently hoping that you live as long as possible.

Yesterday, Sandy was told that she was not allowed to go around the block to their friend's house until she had done her work. I spent time working on my faire boss's website; she went to her room to sulk. Then after a while, I noticed that it was awfully quiet in the house. Not only had she gone, she hadn't changed her clothes as she'd been told she would have to--the dress she was wearing was too short to serve as a dress anymore, and she could wear pants with it but definitely had to not just wear it as a dress. I ended up having a long talk with their friend's mom, including expressing all our concerns about school.

"You can't erase icing."