Page 156 of 159 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,680 of 4742

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

I'm annoyed that, because it's 57 degrees outside, enough of my native-Floridian neighbors are burning wood in their fireplaces. Enough so that it's smoky inside our house, even with all the windows shut.

"On the bright side, de-frosting the window in the morning is no longer an issue." Selenite, that definitely displays an ability take the good with the bad

Now off on a tangent. I may be living in cloud cuckoo land and be way off the mark, but that view of the back of your wounded car looks a lot like my cars (2007 GM Holden) rear. Is your car a Pontiac G8 by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    "On the bright side, de-frosting the window in the morning is no longer an issue." Selenite, that definitely displays an ability take the good with the bad

Now off on a tangent. I may be living in cloud cuckoo land and be way off the mark, but that view of the back of your wounded car looks a lot like my cars (2007 GM Holden) rear. Is your car a Pontiac G8 by any chance?
    Interestingly enough it is a 2007 model. But it's a just a hoo-hum Honda Civic. I've pretty much been buying Japanese cars my whole life.

Got some plastic tarp taped over the hole for now. It'll have to do until I can get this boo-boo fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenite View Post
    Interestingly enough it is a 2007 model. But it's a just a hoo-hum Honda Civic. I've pretty much been buying Japanese cars my whole life.

Got some plastic tarp taped over the hole for now. It'll have to do until I can get this boo-boo fixed.
    Oh well, failed my photo identification exam. I guess, in a desperate attempt to regain some credibility, that the body style must have been popular in those days
    Last edited by ozduck; 2020-Dec-06 at 02:44 AM.

Some of the car window repair people will come out to your house to do the replacement. You just let them know the car model ahead of time, and you have a picture to send them so they can verify they can do it. It really can be convenient.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Oh well, failed my photo identification exam. I guess, in a desperate attempt to regain some credibility, that the body style must have been popular in those days
    Yes, they do look like they both may have spawned from the same DNA motor pool. In silhouette anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Some of the car window repair people will come out to your house to do the replacement. You just let them know the car model ahead of time, and you have a picture to send them so they can verify they can do it. It really can be convenient.
    Actually, I'm gonna go to their local shop. The appointment date was sooner, it's not far from where I work and they'll sweeten the deal by throwing in a free pair of wiper blades. I just hope they don't take one look at the pitted and pock-marked front windshield of my car and try to sweet-talk me into glass-plated debt.

Yes, they do look like they both may have spawned from the same DNA motor pool. In silhouette anyway.

And my version - the blue car is a dead ringer for mine - 2007 Holden Calais. When I was driving in Canada in 2016 it was a bit of a shock too see a Pontiac G8. I knew that they had been exported from Australia with a few changes from our version but seeing one in the 'metal' was a bit odd.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ve calais1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	25709

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ve calais.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	25710
    Last edited by ozduck; 2020-Dec-07 at 02:09 AM.

A bit off-topic, but I long ago realized that while very expensive or very cheap or niche market cars can have unusual styling, the mass market ones have to be pretty vanilla. That's why they all look the same.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yeah, I bet they do too. The car's comprehensive insurance will cover most of it except for the deductible, of course. I've got the repair appointment set up.

In the meantime, I'm driving a car that looks like it was the loser in a rolling gun battle. On the bright side, de-frosting the window in the morning is no longer an issue.

Wow! I thought you meant a door window. That looks bad. I hope you get the replacement soon.

I have full glass on all of my cars. About 5 years ago, my kids were big into baseball and two of our cars got hit in the windshield by foul balls. No breakage, but I added glass coverage. 5 years later, I can't bring myself to click the button to end glass coverage because I know the moment I do...
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I'm annoyed that, because it's 57 degrees outside, enough of my native-Floridian neighbors are burning wood in their fireplaces. Enough so that it's smoky inside our house, even with all the windows shut.
    I guess that must be Fahrenheit, because if they're cold at 57 C . . .
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

It least Selenite this did happen to your car. Hopefully they can fix it easily and won't cot much.
    https://youtu.be/zWi71j2Nfwc
    (I live one road over and did hear a thing, but it is still 10 km away, I think I was there as a kid when my grandfather was getting gravel.)
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Many years ago we lived in an apartment complex, third (top) floor. One night - early morning - we were awakened by stomping on the roof. Someone was partying up there. We called apartment security and they called the police.

A few mornings later we woke up to find the rear window of our brand new car smashed out. (We parked in a spot assigned by apartment number.)

Coincidence, I'm sure.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    I guess that must be Fahrenheit, because if they're cold at 57 C . . .
    It's not cold in Fahrenheit either. But if you just love fireplaces and you live someplace where it's absurdly hot for 8-10 months at a time, you take the opportunity as soon as it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    It's not cold in Fahrenheit either. But if you just love fireplaces and you live someplace where it's absurdly hot for 8-10 months at a time, you take the opportunity as soon as it isn't.
    Back in September, we had the temperature fall thirty degrees F in two weeks from 90 to 60 (32 to 15.5 C) and it did feel cold by comparison (I wore my windbreaker for about a day until my body got back into realizing that short sleeves are fine at 60 degrees), but not “start a fire” cold! 60 degrees is pretty close to my ideal temperature.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    My sister moved from Connecticut to Florida for nearly a decade. Coming back North, she would need to be bundled up in a winter coat while the rest of us were in shirtsleeves.

Now, we both live in the Midwest, and she's had plenty of time to re-acclimate to hard winters. Nothing compared to what we had in New England, but cold enough for snow.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Yesterday, I was going to make the thing I'm giving the person I drew in my Secret Santa draw in my Facebook group. It's the same thing I've made the previous three years. I was excited, though, because I really like the person I drew and had figured out how to customize it so it was more personal to him. I'd started numbering them (they're stuffed animals), and the last time I made a couple, I took a picture of the number so I knew where I'd left off.

My pictures from June of last year on somehow didn't save onto my hard drive. I had copied the entire file all at once, and I don't know why they didn't all move, but they didn't. Some of them saved, but anything that was in the "unsorted" folder, where my pictures go directly out of the camera, is gone. That's all of last year's faire pictures. Most of the pictures of the kids. I'm pretty sure all the pictures of the cats. Just gone.

So I still had to run errands, especially as I'd arranged to pick my best friend's housemate up from work so he didn't have to take the bus home. We were chatting on the way home, and he mentioned that he was having to find new living arrangements in the New Year . . . because my best friend and her partner are moving. Which she hadn't told me. He said a little hesitantly that she'd told "lots of people," which didn't make that better.

Eventually, I was able to connect with her. Yes, they're talking about moving, mostly because her grandmother is getting very old and isn't in the best health, and the nearest family to her is a very long drive away. So she and her partner are probably going to convert a garage on the property my best friend will eventually inherit (her grandmother owns a farm, which will be divided among my best friend and her cousins) and live there, close enough to take care of her grandmother but not actually in the house which her grandmother assures everyone will drive her crazy. They don't know if they're going to sell their house or try to get a loan to tear it down and replace it then rent it out, but it's in terrible shape and even if they were staying, "tear it down and replace it" is probably the most cost-effective option right now. It's logical, and as soon as she told me why they're planning to move, I understood her entire reasoning. It still gave me a bad few hours last night before I was able to talk to her.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I got really crabby to my wife this afternoon. We were wrapping Xmas stuff and about halfway through doing one thing, she offered up another, then another and I just got overwhelmed and snapped at her. She does have a tendency to do that; while I like to concentrate on one thing without having to remember two or three more. But I really hate that I got upset to her about it, and upset her in the bargain.
    After I completed two of the tasks, I went in and apologized. Then I had to ask her again what the third one was.

My cousin in California, along with her husband, has been being extremely careful about Covid. But she needed to take a cat to the vet. She didn't actually go into the office and everyone was masked. But she apparently picked up the virus from the cat when it came back out. The vet's office closed for a Covid outbreak the next day. My cousin has had symptoms, tested positive, and is now having to isolate from her husband for ten days. He's negative so far. They are in their mid-seventies.
    And just to make everything terrible, they had to have the cat put down. (Not due to covid). Very upsetting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My cousin in California, along with her husband, has been being extremely careful about Covid. But she needed to take a cat to the vet. She didn't actually go into the office and everyone was masked. But she apparently picked up the virus from the cat when it came back out. The vet's office closed for a Covid outbreak the next day. My cousin has had symptoms, tested positive, and is now having to isolate from her husband for ten days. He's negative so far. They are in their mid-seventies.
    And just to make everything terrible, they had to have the cat put down. (Not due to covid). Very upsetting to me.
    That is a very sad series of events. I can say very little than to look after yourself, and wife, and that I hope your cousin recovers well.

A NTTTAM:

Petulant tantrums by spoiled adults seeking drama and chaos to validate their egos. Especially when their behavior harms others.

That is a very sad series of events. I can say very little than to look after yourself, and wife, and that I hope your cousin recovers well.
    I talked to her yesterday. She says she's feeling better but is very tired and was napping with the remaining cat. In a few more days she can get tested and, if negative, resume contact with her husband. He's been fixing meals and leaving them outside the bedroom door. I don't think I could live like that.

I talked to her yesterday. She says she's feeling better but is very tired and was napping with the remaining cat. In a few more days she can get tested and, if negative, resume contact with her husband. He's been fixing meals and leaving them outside the bedroom door. I don't think I could live like that.
    Speaking from personal experience, it's actually OK once you seriously contemplate the potential alternatives. We did spend a lot of time just chatting through the closed door--keeping an ear on each other, as it were.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Dec-26 at 05:38 PM.

Her improvement does sound like good news. While the isolation from her husband would have been difficult it is pleasing that they were able to keep each other as healthy as possible.

We've had to deal with quarantine rules for two kids, several times each. Most recently, with their own father having tested positive. (He's recovered now) The wait for results was particularly agonizing that time.

I wish the best for your cousin. We adapt to things as best we can, even though we all need human contact. Hopefully that situation will be resolved soon.

My brother's ex -- they split up last year after 40+ years! -- thinks he may have had Covid a couple of weeks ago. Very worn out, just stayed home. And apparently didn't get tested. Sheesh! Two of their daughters tested positive a few weeks ago, but were, I hope, cleared before the family gathered for Christmas. I hope.

The people who "think" they got it but are not tested, are dangerous IMO. They may think they have immunity now and get careless, and carry it to someone else.

Yeah, I know people who are doing that.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

USPS rant #291: I received my Christmas card from my parents today, with $2.85 postage due. Like whaa? It's an envelope. Granted, a bit thicker than a normal envelope due to it being one of those cards that sings to you when you open it, but not $4 of postage thick.

The mail lady didn't have a mask on, and neither did I (since I wasn't expecting anyone at the door today). I had to hand her $3 in cash from 6 feet away and receive my change (since I didn't have the 85 cents in coins handy).

I weighed the envelope and card afterwards with my postage scale, and it weighed 1.9 ounces. The 2 stamps that were on it (covering $1.10 of postage at current stamp prices) should have covered the $.70 for up to 2 ounces. But they decided for whatever reason to charge "parcel rates" and I had to pay the difference.

And they didn't even deliver it in time for Christmas. I don't know when my parents mailed it, but they usually do it with plenty of time to spare.

All these millionaires and billionaires who are just so concerned that some poor people might get money they didn't "earn".