Page 13 of 175 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    That's us: idiots, one and all...and a 'third world' state among the 50. Don't forget that it's also cold year-round, dark for half of that, all Alaska Natives are Eskimos, and our state bird is the penguin...no particular species, just any old penguin.
    Warning! Warning! Sarcasm detector overload in three... two... one...
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

You really should get a digital sarcasm detector. The flashing over range message isn't nearly as alarming as wrapping an analog needle around the stop. (I guess this will net me an old fart alert now!)
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

It non-trivially bugs me that all the stuff I'm busy with right now (taking care of my Mother after her surgery) and all the stress of various family problems, prevents me from putting in for the Forum Liaison job. Even if it's still available, I no longer am in a position to do it, timewise or psychologically. I had been planning to use my then-copious free time as a selling point.

I was planning to keep my application secret, and if I got it, it would have been awesome after years on disability to be able to tell my family "Oh guess what, I just got a paying job." It would have also marked a milestone in my own mental health progress, as this is the first time I've ever been confident enough to do something like get a job all on my own, without being prompted by someone. Also, it would mean getting money I actually earned, instead of accepting what amounts to charity.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2013-Nov-06 at 08:40 PM.

That's us: idiots, one and all...and a 'third world' state among the 50. Don't forget that it's also cold year-round, dark for half of that, all Alaska Natives are Eskimos, and our state bird is the penguin...no particular species, just any old penguin.
    Actually, I think your problem started when you decided to have a remote starter installed on your sled dogs (because Alaskans only drive sled dogs).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Actually, I think your problem started when you decided to have a remote starter installed on your sled dogs (because Alaskans only drive sled dogs).
    I don't have any sled dogs but on a quiet night, I can hear them singing the songs of their people. I get around the old fashioned way...on snowshoes made of alder and sinew.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    The word Democracy itself started out as a sheeple-like insult made by its opponents, it translates as "mob rule" or "rule by the rabble" (the common lower class)
    That's funny. Sort of like what "The Big Bang Theory" meant before Leonard, Penny and Sheldon.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    That's funny. Sort of like what "The Big Bang Theory" meant before Leonard, Penny and Sheldon.
    Technically I'm wrong, of course, it was the word in Ancient Greek dēmokratía that originally meant rabble rule, but all the linguistic versions derived from it share the same root.

I'm even nitpicking myself these days!

"Rabble" is still way better than "sheeple". The user is at least aware that "rabble" might set them on fire, just for fun.

My like of "stam-people" is based on the same idea, except where rabble maybe passive or placated, "stam-people" are just looking for an opening to bolt from the current situation. There is no leading a stampede...
    Solfe

"Rabble" is still way better than "sheeple". The user is at least aware that "rabble" might set them on fire, just for fun.
    Well, translating is always tricky, the exact use of rabble for that term is my own.

=Solfe;2167860My like of "stam-people" is based on the same idea, except where rabble maybe passive or placated, "stam-people" are just looking for an opening to bolt from the current situation. There is no leading a stampede...
    Sheeple, IMO, denotes a specific type of passiveness; not non-violence, but a willingness to follow a leader even if he orders them into a stampede.

Sheeple, IMO, denotes a specific type of passiveness; not non-violence, but a willingness to follow a leader even if he orders them into a stampede.
    No, let me correct that. The implication of sheeple is that they are herd animals; with or without a leader, they go with the crowd, even stampeding together.

No, let me correct that. The implication of sheeple is that they are herd animals; with or without a leader, they go with the crowd, even stampeding together.
    And it's not as though the woman who used the word at me didn't know that I'd thought through various aspects of it myself. Again, the issue was that I disagreed with her and therefore must be a sherson.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I participate in forums where some types are fond of using the term, "sheeple". The irony is, most of them are no more individualistic than those they deride. They're just in a different herd. Their expressed ideals, rhetoric, catch phrases, frequently used "facts" (which often aren't), and emotional responses to events are similar and somewhat predictable. But then those are the kinds of things that draw people together. We're social animals, after all.

I participate in forums where some types are fond of using the term, "sheeple". The irony is, most of them are no more individualistic than those they deride. They're just in a different herd. Their expressed ideals, rhetoric, catch phrases, frequently used "facts" (which often aren't), and emotional responses to events are similar and somewhat predictable. But then those are the kinds of things that draw people together. We're social animals, after all.
    I always liked Steve Martin's take on this (from a live show)

Steve: Now let's repeat the non-conformists' oath: I promise to be different!
    (audience repeats)
    Steve: I promise to be unique!
    (audience repeats)
    Steve: I promise not to repeat things other people say!
    (awkward silence)
    Steve: Good!

Very true.

p.s.: I'm a social flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I always liked Steve Martin's take on this (from a live show)

Steve: Now let's repeat the non-conformists' oath: I promise to be different!
    (audience repeats)
    Steve: I promise to be unique!
    (audience repeats)
    Steve: I promise not to repeat things other people say!
    (awkward silence)
    Steve: Good!
    Classic.

I took this great video of CO2 "rocket" cars at the local science museum and they haven't used the footage on their social media site. I am hopeful that it will appear, but one of the cars broke in flight and the CO2 cartridge hit me in the throat. I hardly reacted at all, but still... I am annoyed because it looks really awesome.
    Solfe

... I am annoyed because it looks really awesome.
    I'm sure their lawyers have other opinions of that video.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    I'm sure their lawyers have other opinions of that video.
    Could be...
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    And it's not as though the woman who used the word at me didn't know that I'd thought through various aspects of it myself. Again, the issue was that I disagreed with her and therefore must be a sherson.
    Because I said something about AGW, someone accused me of listening to "Al Gore and hysterical headlines" for my information. I gave him a piece of my mind about it, telling him in frank language that my conclusion was based on my own research and observations, and that he had no right to assume he knew anything about how and where I had gathered data or the basis of my motivations.

I actually ended up blocking a lot of her posts in the last few days before the election, when she was posting about it three and four times a day, and now, Facebook is asking me about half the posts on my feed and if I find them disruptive or not.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

This is pretty trivial, except that it could turn non-trivial in an instant: This AM I'm driving to work in the gray, dark, rainy, windy weather when I happened to notice a silver car without its headlights on. In this weather, silver cars may as well be invisible. Neat trick, but not conducive to safe driving. Drivers: Turn on your friggin' lights in bad weather! Heck, just turn 'em on in any conditions. Higher visibility to other drivers is always a good thing.

I actually refer in one of my books to a "fog-coloured car" after just such an encounter.

"You can't erase icing."

So I am currently standing in the cold, between my fog coloured car, and my telescope, looking up at a clear sky, apart from a ******* contrail some ***** jet just put across Jupiter, in the same direction the wind is blowing.
    I always have a suspition that clouds know where my telescope is pointing, but now BA195 is in on the act.

Quote Originally Posted by redshifter View Post
    This is pretty trivial, except that it could turn non-trivial in an instant: This AM I'm driving to work in the gray, dark, rainy, windy weather when I happened to notice a silver car without its headlights on. In this weather, silver cars may as well be invisible. Neat trick, but not conducive to safe driving. Drivers: Turn on your friggin' lights in bad weather! Heck, just turn 'em on in any conditions. Higher visibility to other drivers is always a good thing.
    Hear, hear.

My hypothesis is that most such drivers deliberately choose cars of bland color because they want to blend into the background. Now I have a sliver/grey car, but I put the headlights on at all times day or night (of course that was not my first color choice, the red one was unavailable).

Quote Originally Posted by PetTastic View Post
    So I am currently standing in the cold, between my fog coloured car, and my telescope, looking up at a clear sky, apart from a ******* contrail some ***** jet just put across Jupiter, in the same direction the wind is blowing.
    I always have a suspition that clouds know where my telescope is pointing, but now BA195 is in on the act.
    It's the same way dads know to call you when you can't reach your phone, when there's a good song on the radio, or when you're either headed for or in the bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by PetTastic View Post
    PetTastic,

If the forum software turns a word into ***, it means you are using a word you should not use. We are very strict about such things, as it is a quick way for us to get blocked by net-nanny software. It is one case where we ask people to please edit their posts and change the *** to a safe word (even masking bads words is against our rules). Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    It's the same way dads know to call you when you can't reach your phone, when there's a good song on the radio, or when you're either headed for or in the bathroom.
    My mom is the same way, with the difference that I'm staying at her house.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Again, the issue was that I disagreed with her and therefore must be a sherson.
    Sherson is now my second favorite word of the day, right after Mandelbulb.

I don't remember if we came up with it here or at Apollo Hoax, but it's a logical back formation, wouldn't you say?

"You can't erase icing."