Page 175 of 175 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175
Results 5,221 to 5,234 of 5234

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

High school was a pretty good experience for me and I had friends there. The horror was junior high school, that was an awful two years, aside from the semester I was home tutored (the school district paid for it) because of a case of mononucleosis. That part was mainly sleeping, home tutor time, reading (that’s when I read Lord of the Rings the first time) and more sleeping (my parents first suspected there was something wrong when I came home and immediately took a nap, and after they woke me for dinner and I managed to finish it, I went right back to bed, slept to morning, and repeated that the next night).

Still, I haven’t gone to high school reunions, though I might actually be interested now. I haven’t previously for a variety of reasons, like my health at the time, but not because I disliked high school. It wasn’t perfect, but for me it was pretty good.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I managed to get into a private (parish) high school, because my aunt had taught there. I had a bus commute every day, whereas most of the other kids were from adjacent neighborhoods. I had some good friends there, but alas, rarely saw any of them after graduation. I think I'd go to a reunion, if I didn't live hundreds of miles away at present!

We don't really do high school reunions in the UK. When I left school, there was the usual end-of-spring-term "prize giving" event, and then we all walked out into the world, never to see each other again. So no graduation ceremony or valedictory address of the kind I see in American movies and TV programmes, either.

The "graduation" bit may have changed, I suspect, given that there was a chap on the television towards the end of our second Covid lockdown, moaning to a TV news journalist about he'd been unable to attend his child's "kindergarten graduation", and how this was a scandalous infringement on his personal freedoms. Given that people were dying alone in Intensive Care Units up and down the country, my heart didn't really go out to him.

Apart from the day the Boon Companion impetuously agreed to marry me, the day I walked out of school for the last time was the best day of my life (if I close my eyes I can still bring it back in precise detail).

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I think I'd go to a reunion, if I didn't live hundreds of miles away at present!
    My mother decided to go to her 50 year reunion and traveled a couple thousand miles to do it. To be sure, she didn’t make a regular thing of reunions, it was a special occasion.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I've been to three of my high school reunions and three reunions of my university graduating class. I've enjoyed them all.

My high school did have a One Year reunion, which had pretty good attendance. It was nice to see where everyone was a year later.

I still see my good friends from high school. One guy is a hairdresser who does my kids and wife's hair. I'd see him too, but I don't have enough hair.

Slightly more than annoyance is one of my old friends passed away last Sunday.
    Solfe

My wife had some excitement today that she definitely didn't want. A few weeks ago her brother was diagnosed with lymphoma. The signs were picked up by an alert anaesthetist at a large country hospital when he was being prepped for a minor hernia operation and confirmed immediately after that operation by a CAT scan. Because my brother in law lives by himself in a rented house on a farm about 50 km from the nearest town and about 290 km from Perth we were already preparing to have him stay for us for a couple of days for recovery after the hernia operation. Instead of which he has stayed here ever since as he was scanned, biopsied several times and had blood drawn on a number of occasions to get a complete diagnosis and in preparation for treatment. We are relatively close by to one of the major Public Hospitals in Perth and he will be treated there.

The good news for him was that it was confirmed to be a low grade cancer that was very likely to respond positively to chemotherapy with hopefully only three or so two day sessions spread over several months being necessary. Today was his first session and my wife and his son accompanied him to the treatment clinic at the hospital. Unfortunately he had a very bad reaction to one of the chemicals being infused and apparently suffered a severe Anaphylactic shock - his breathing almost stopped and he was turning red. He was in a small individual treatment room so they called the nursing staff and he was injected with adrenaline (?) but the initial injection had little effect. The crash cart and a full resuscitation team was then called and luckily they were able to get him back breathing, conscious and apparently ok. His treatment was actually completed but as a precaution he is on oxygen and will be admitted to hospital for at least tonight. They hope to be able to complete the second session, very carefully, tomorrow and then he can come back here when he is given the all clear. I have only heard the story from my wife in three short phone calls and she is waiting until he either goes to a ward or when his son returns to take over from her. She has spent about nine hours at the clinic so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    […] Today was his first session and my wife and his son accompanied him to the treatment clinic at the hospital. Unfortunately he had a very bad reaction to one of the chemicals being infused and apparently suffered a severe Anaphylactic shock - his breathing almost stopped and he was turning red. He was in a small individual treatment room so they called the nursing staff and he was injected with adrenaline (?) but the initial injection had little effect.[…]
    Ouch! I believe adrenaline (also known as epinephrine) is standard emergency treatment for anaphylactic shock. Good to hear he is doing better.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Ouch! I believe adrenaline (also known as epinephrine) is standard emergency treatment for anaphylactic shock. Good to hear he is doing better.
    Thanks. My wife made it home after about 10 hours so she updated me on what happened.

She said it was actually Phenergan they were using to counter the allergic reaction - straight into the IV line that was being used for the chemotherapy. While the crash cart was called they were able to stabilise him without using any of its equipment - four doctors plus nursing staff were involved. He is now settled in a room with supplemental oxygen until they are happy with his blood oxygen levels. Tomorrow they will finish off his treatment with the chemical he tolerated and if all goes ok he should be discharged afterwards. They will delay the other part of the treatment until next week and they will prepare him differently than today. Apparently an allergic reaction to this particular chemical is not unknown but his reaction was far faster than usual, being almost instantaneous, and caught them off guard.

Let’s hope he has used up his allotment of bad luck and things will proceed smoothly and successfully going forward.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Let’s hope he has used up his allotment of bad luck and things will proceed smoothly and successfully going forward.
    Indeed.
    I donate blood as often as possible and money to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, due to my mother having died of Myelodisplastic Syndrome. She was kept alive with transfusions for 2.5 years.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My wife visited my BIL this morning and he is much improved so all your good wishes worked. He is having some treatment this afternoon and my wife has just left to go there again. If that goes well he will come back here tonight. The next attempt with the chemical he reacted to is set for next Wednesday. He will be admitted to hospital onTuesday so they can, I assume, pump him full of phenergan or some such to prepare for the infusion.

I was out running errands yesterday. I set down my current sewing project. Somewhere. It was almost done, too. I went back to the stores I'd visited, but I didn't have time to really look, because I had to get home before Zane did.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"