Page 141 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,230 of 4433

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Paperwork on our house has been delayed. We don't move until at least Tuesday and probably later than that.
    Hold in there Gillianren, a lot of peoples plans have been modified thru this.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

My family is going crazy over the whole no-contact thing. I can't hug my Mom for fear of sharing/spreading a lethal disease; she's a textbook a high-risk senior.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    My family is going crazy over the whole no-contact thing. I can't hug my Mom for fear of sharing/spreading a lethal disease; she's a textbook a high-risk senior.
    Grim.
    I do feel fortunate, at present, to have been raised in a no-contact society. I haven't hugged my mother since I was twelve, and if I ever attempted to do so now it would scare the hell out of her.

Grant Hutchison

Let me suggest that you might try thinking of it as having future opportunities to hug her again with a bit of delay. I can no longer do that with my mother. She lived a long life, though her mind didn’t last as long as her body, and that decline was incredibly painful to watch.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I want to go back to work.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I want to go back to work.
    OMGOSH, I am going back to work! I'm an essential employee again! WHEEEEEE!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuBQkdsajVE

As is my wife. She doesn't go anywhere, although we might try going for a drive in the car today and not stop anywhere. I minimize my out time, and try to wash up well etc when I get back. We're about the same age, but I could probably survive a bout of Covid-19, she might not.
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Grim.
    I do feel fortunate, at present, to have been raised in a no-contact society. I haven't hugged my mother since I was twelve, and if I ever attempted to do so now it would scare the hell out of her.

Grant Hutchison
    Hugging my mother would scare me, as she's been dead for 10 years!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    ... we might try going for a drive in the car today and not stop anywhere.
    Done that a lot lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    OMGOSH, I am going back to work! I'm an essential employee again! WHEEEEEE!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuBQkdsajVE
    I mean, uh, rats, now I can't stay home and scrub cat diarrhea out of the carpet anymore. Just rats.

There's no way I wouldn't hug my kids; Irene almost cried yesterday because she wasn't allowed to hug people we saw while on a walk. (Around our block, where we saw considerably more people than last time--maybe as many as eight or nine! We all observed proper social distancing and even walked in the street once or twice--there was no traffic--to avoid being close to them.) But I figure that, what with touching all the same surfaces and eating the same food and so forth, if one of us gets it, we're all exposed anyway.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The number of people trying to take advantage of the current situation is astounding and disgusting. Religious "leaders" selling colloidal silver. Various politicians lying. Scammers calling up saying they need your SSN to send you your stimulus check. And a company deciding, "Hey why don't we just steal the stimulus from our employees!" "Ok, maybe that wasn't such a great idea."
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I got a spam e-mail this morning suggesting that I might want to contribute to the WHO's fund for fighting the disease. Which is pretty low, given how obviously it had nothing to do with the WHO.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Some people are just scum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    There's no way I wouldn't hug my kids; Irene almost cried yesterday because she wasn't allowed to hug people we saw while on a walk. (Around our block, where we saw considerably more people than last time--maybe as many as eight or nine! We all observed proper social distancing and even walked in the street once or twice--there was no traffic--to avoid being close to them.) But I figure that, what with touching all the same surfaces and eating the same food and so forth, if one of us gets it, we're all exposed anyway.
    That's how I figure with my wife and myself, though that might change a little if one of us starts showing symptoms.

As far as walking around the neighborhood, we've done a lot of that too (pretty much every day), all with proper social distancing. But people seem noticeably friendlier now. Not that people around the neighborhood weren't friendly before, but people seem to be going out of their way to say hi, ask how you are doing, comment about the weather or whatever. I don't normally go around hugging my neighbors, but I think most people are making an effort to be nicer in these tough times.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That's how I figure with my wife and myself, though that might change a little if one of us starts showing symptoms.
    From practical experience last week, I can testify that preventing potential cross-infection is extremely difficult to do in a single household, even with just a couple of adults who have actually practised infection-control measures in their jobs. I think it would be utterly impossible with kids around the place, even kids who understood what was going on and were in principle prepared to forgo personal contact for a week.
    As for how it feels when someone has symptoms: in our house, infection control became compellingly important for me (the one with the symptoms) because it was essentially the only thing I had control over--trying not to give it to my wife. But at the same time it became compellingly important for my wife to keep checking on me and trying to perform small services. So for a week I was feverishly (in both senses of the word) swabbing down everything I touched in an effort to protect her.
    When I went outside for the first time, yesterday, I was puzzled by the strange smell of the outdoors. Then I realized it just didn't smell of disinfectant.

Grant Hutchison

I figure that if my wife or I get infected, the best we can hope for is delaying the other person’s getting infected so we aren’t both sick at the same time.
    I don’t know if that’s possible, as our outside interaction is pretty-much common (shopping for groceries).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Some people are just scum.
    Sadly, truer words were never spoken.
    Fortunately, most people are decent folks.

... But people seem noticeably friendlier now. Not that people around the neighborhood weren't friendly before, but people seem to be going out of their way to say hi, ask how you are doing, comment about the weather or whatever. I don't normally go around hugging my neighbors, but I think most people are making an effort to be nicer in these tough times.
    I've noticed it too. I think the curiosity regarding how one is doing is genuine too. People feel cooped up or otherwise limited in their freedom, despite the ability to get out and walk, and want to know how others are coping.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I've noticed it too. I think the curiosity regarding how one is doing is genuine too...
    Well, maybe not everywhere.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nypfZxvp_ys

From practical experience last week, I can testify that preventing potential cross-infection is extremely difficult to do in a single household, even with just a couple of adults who have actually practised infection-control measures in their jobs. I think it would be utterly impossible with kids around the place, even kids who understood what was going on and were in principle prepared to forgo personal contact for a week.
    As for how it feels when someone has symptoms: in our house, infection control became compellingly important for me (the one with the symptoms) because it was essentially the only thing I had control over--trying not to give it to my wife. But at the same time it became compellingly important for my wife to keep checking on me and trying to perform small services. So for a week I was feverishly (in both senses of the word) swabbing down everything I touched in an effort to protect her.
    When I went outside for the first time, yesterday, I was puzzled by the strange smell of the outdoors. Then I realized it just didn't smell of disinfectant.

Grant Hutchison
    Grant

I hadn't realized you were sick and I'm very glad that you are apparently getting better.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I hadn't realized you were sick and I'm very glad that you are apparently getting better.
    Thanks. I haven't mentioned it before, but it seemed relevant to discussion here. Five days of classic COVID-19 symptoms, including a quite impressive swinging fever. We strongly suspect my wife actually had a very mild episode before I got it, but went for full-on disinfection and distancing because we couldn't be sure.
    Absolutely weak as a kitten at present, but certainly mending.

So, anyway, the message from our experience is that it's possible but difficult and demanding for a couple of adults in a moderately sized house to raise a self-isolation barrier, if they're motivated and careful. Our situation of course was much aided by the fact we had practice from our jobs, but hampered by the fact that our downstairs is an abandoned building site at present (March turned out to be a bad month to have building work done). But I think if you have kids, or live in a home where there's no room for one person to retreat into for big chunks of the day, any kind of self-isolation within the family would be a nightmare to arrange and maintain.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France

Grant Hutchison
    Best wishes .
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Thanks. I haven't mentioned it before, but it seemed relevant to discussion here. Five days of classic COVID-19 symptoms, including a quite impressive swinging fever. We strongly suspect my wife actually had a very mild episode before I got it, but went for full-on disinfection and distancing because we couldn't be sure.

So, anyway, the message from our experience is that it's possible but difficult and demanding for a couple of adults in a moderately sized house to raise a self-isolation barrier, if they're motivated and careful. Our situation of course was much aided by the fact we had practice from our jobs, but hampered by the fact that our downstairs is an abandoned building site at present (March turned out to be a bad month to have building work done). But I think if you have kids, or live in a home where there's no room for one person to retreat into for big chunks of the day, any kind of self-isolation within the family would be a nightmare to arrange and maintain.

Grant Hutchison
    Hope you get thru it.

Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Glad you’re improving*.
    We could hardly tell you were ill from this side of the monitor.

*I’m sure you’re aware of reports of a second round of illness after feeling somewhat better- so take care.

Our kittens are strong and mean and bite me a lot. My best to you and yours.

My sister's kids usually stay with their father (sister's ex) every other weekend. But the ex's girlfriend has just found out she'd been exposed to someone testing positive for Covid-19. So now they can't visit their father for a few weeks.
    Good news, she tested negative. So this weekend my niece and nephew can visit their father.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Good news, she tested negative. So this weekend my niece and nephew can visit their father.
    Gives a little dance of happy

Grant Hutchison
    Look after yourself and your wife please Grant. I want to read more about your walks and see her photos.

As long as you keep improving, that’s great. I was wondering who would be the first here to report a (probable?) Covid-19 infection. *sigh*

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

As far as I know there hasn't been a case around my little corner of the world.