Page 173 of 175 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175 LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,190 of 5226

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

OK, second try. Forum weirdness.

My wife's nephew, his wife, and eight-month-old son live in Arizona, about 52% not vaccinated against Covid-19. Including them.
    There was an outbreak at the baby's daycare. Who notified no one until he'd developed symptoms. As did his parents. Followed by her mother and other family members. Nephew has been off work for three weeks!
    Like far too many others in this country they believed it was exaggerated, some sort of hoax.
    And what perhaps bugs me most is that we can't even discuss the reasons in this forum.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The other day, Zane got an eye injury. Again. The temptation to make him wear goggles increases. We don't generally take him to the doctor for them anymore because there's nothing the doctor can do for a corneal abrasion.

However, yesterday, the pain level seemed to be increasing, and I noticed what appeared to be discharge from it, so that's Urgent Care time. They'll be able to see if it's infected, and possibly they'll get better pain killers than we have at home. However, they did the dye test to show the size of the scratch, and the dye pooled under the pupil. The urgent care doctor told us that the only emergency place that did eye care in the area was Harborview Medical Center. In Seattle. (Which, for funsies, is also the hospital with the ICU full of Covid patients in the end stage!) And he told me that I needed to go right away, because Zane's sight was at stake. I did stop at home long enough to grab a couple of comfort objects for him--and let Graham know where we were going, because he hadn't turned his phone on when we left for Urgent Care. And then we drove to Seattle as fast as we could.

Well, it turns out the Urgent Care doctor had not, as he said, let them know we were coming. But they got us back right away, and we were seen relatively quickly by a regular doctor. Who agreed that, yes, we really needed an ophthalmology consult. Which we eventually got. Now, we had been told that he couldn't have anything to eat or drink, in case he needed surgery. I hadn't eaten before we left for Urgent Care, and while I'd grabbed something to drink, I hadn't eaten, either. So there Zane and I were, hungry and stressed. And he was a champ--everyone we dealt with commented on how well behaved he was. Also, Harborview's a teaching hospital, so we saw several residents, and the first doctor to see him was quizzing the resident on what his reaction possibly meant. We finally got our ophthalmology consult, and she said he had a very bad corneal abrasion but probably nothing worse. She said she had one more test to do that required the effect of some of the drops that she'd given him to wear off. And then a resident came to talk to us about the possibility that Zane would be admitted. Which, blessedly, he then wasn't--we were actually done something like half an hour after she talked to us.

We went into Urgent Care at eight in the morning, when they opened. We got home at about quarter to six. And, yes, Zane and I went through a drive-through on our way home.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

My thanks to everyone for your condolences and thoughts.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

As Ive mentioned before, my father in
    law is in late stage Alzheimer’s and living in a long term care facility near Tampa. We live in Atlanta and drive down every six weeks or so to see him and check on his house. (We aren’t sure he recognizes us and mostly he just wants to sleep and stare at the ceiling so the actual visits are relatively short).

Anyway on Monday morning my wife spoke to one of the senior nurses on day shift to make sure visitation was OK and all was normal. She said yes.

We drove down on Friday and went to the facility on Saturday. And found out that the facility was in Covid lockdown and only hospice was allowed. The lockdown began Monday afternoon.

And no word from anyone at the nursing home all week. No calls, nothing on their Facebook page. Zip.

Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Anyway on Monday morning my wife spoke to one of the senior nurses on day shift to make sure visitation was OK and all was normal. She said yes.
    Nurse Han Solo?
    Everything’s perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

In all seriousness, their lack of transparency is disturbing.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Nurse Han Solo?
    Everything’s perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

In all seriousness, their lack of transparency is disturbing.
    I’m guessing nurse F. Lee Bailey.

My mother called me last night. My older sister's new spouse, who she married just this summer, had been having a recurrence of a childhood cancer. Everything was expected to be okay, but they died yesterday morning.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Dang. So sorry for your sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    My mother called me last night. My older sister's new spouse, who she married just this summer, had been having a recurrence of a childhood cancer. Everything was expected to be okay, but they died yesterday morning.
    That is hard. I am sorry for your family's loss.
    Solfe

Today was rough. Really, rough. My wife called me at work, concerned for my daughter's well being.

We are displaced to a rental house, it's twice the size of the house that burned. It's very nice, 4 bedroom, three bathrooms, 2 stories and a finished basement. But...

Since the rental is out of the school district, the only way for our kids to go to school in our home's district is to fill out an emergency appeal. This is all fine except, by definition of the provisions we are "homeless". "Displaced" would be a better word, but technically, we are without our home. All week long we have had to fill out forms labeled "Homeless Child" for my son and daughter. Since COVID is still in full effect, we cannot walk these forms to the office, our kids have to turn them in.

On day one, we put them in an envelop so the kids wouldn't read them. Teenagers are touchy. The office staff asked the kids, "Are those the homeless provision forms?". Thanks, they so needed that. We had to fill one out for attendance to two different schools (high school and vocational), for future social activities (dances), for the school play (Guys and Dolls), for sports (Golf), and probably a couple of other items. It's been one or two day, all week.

Today, my daughter had enough of it and had a good shout about it. (We are all in counseling over this, so yeah, I know about those options.) Then she fell asleep. A few hours later, my wife was cooking and my daughter woke up thinking she smelled fire. She jumped out her bedroom window and landed on the roof over the porch. In our old house, she would have landed on the ground. Confused and panicked, she leapt for the only clear space she could see: the main roof which leads only upwards. She ran over the peak of the roof trying to get down, but couldn't figure out how. She was baffled as to how she got up there.

Thankfully, my oldest son was working on his car in the driveway and grabbed a ladder to get her down. (This isn't our house, I didn't even know we had a ladder in the garage.)

So, it's Thursday night and I am doing damage control. Option 1: Go to hospital. Option 2: don't go to hospital. I am 99% percent convinced my daughter was actually confused, not doing something else. So, we are sitting tight. That and she got in the car to go to an urgent care center to have some very minor scrapes looked at. She seriously leapt an open gap of 10 feet from one roof to another. She is unhurt from her rooftop adventure, but the doctors and nurses did take a couple of swings at talking her. It really doesn't provide any immediate, tangible benefits. This is all invisible stuff and forward looking.

Nothing works much like you'd think it would.

The day before our house burned, a friend from church passed away from COVID and his surviving family's house burned while they were all out attending to his immediate and last needs. They are in the exact same situation as us except they lost a loved one, too. The next day, an elderly lady's house exploded due to a gas leak a few towns away. People keep confusing these two situations with our situation, which is very annoying.

It would be heartless to not have sympathy for these two other situations, but lumbering through other people's confusion is nearly like saying, "Oh, no! Nothing that bad happened to us. Everything's fine!"

The "ever the humorist" part of me is thinking of the irony of being afraid to go to work because I concerned that I will get "The Call". The irony is, it's happened twice. Plus, I'm afraid of phone calls and I work in a call center.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2021-Sep-17 at 03:11 AM.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    My father didn't make it. His heart gave out. Still numb and in shock
    I am very sorry for your loss. I'm also sorry I haven't been around.

If you need anything, shoot me an email. If you lost it, PM me.
    Solfe

There was something I was only made aware on election day morning, Monday. One of the people who lives on my road has gone missing about a month ago. He is about 5 years younger than me and I do have bit of a history together when we went on the school bus. Behind my house and probably many other places there a trails and paths. There is no way to get into the paths on my property without going near the house. But a nieghbor has a road that connects to our paths. There are other roads that connect to paths. The guy was last scene not far from my house actually close to where I go get the mail. There is wildlife in the area that if provoked could of done something and about the time of his disappearance there has been a lot more traffic on the road because of road construction and logging. I hope he does show up alive.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Hopefully this doesn't come under politics, it's not posted that way.

The other day I saw a rumour that one particular fuel (petrol) supply company was considering a slight ration on deliveries to a few of its stations. Not a big issue, just temporary driver availability issues.

The next thing I knew, we were plunged into a fuel crisis where every station was run dry by panic buying customers.

The only difference between those two states of affairs was that the media had blown it up and basically lied to cause the crisis they were reporting.

What compounds the problem is that the lies are now treated as the factual basis of everything reported since.

I despair.

"Government asks people not to panic-buy." That always works.
    One good thing is that people generally will run out of places to store petrol sooner than they ran out of places to store toilet rolls.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    "Government asks people not to panic-buy." That always works.
    One good thing is that people generally will run out of places to store petrol sooner than they ran out of places to store toilet rolls.

Grant Hutchison
    Yeah but some their short term storage solutions aren't that great. like this person using plastic bags to transport gas in.
    https://youtu.be/XRjNdgAetQE
    Today I did notice a home fuel truck pass by the house and some large tanker trucks which I suspect have asphalt or something similar to put down over all the rocks they have put down on the road. Haven't heard about any fuel shortages around here.

My brother has Covid. No serious symptoms as yet, but he lives in a state which due to it's predominate politics has gone out of its way to refuse to enforce masking or vaccination; and as a result is sending seriously ill people out of state because there is no more room in the hospitals.

ETA: He's vaccinated, which will probably help. But due to previous financial foolishness, he still has to work though in his late 60's. In a convenience store, which the state forbids to enforce masks on customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My brother has Covid. No serious symptoms as yet, but he lives in a state which due to it's predominate politics has gone out of its way to refuse to enforce masking or vaccination; and as a result is sending seriously ill people out of state because there is no more room in the hospitals.

ETA: He's vaccinated, which will probably help. But due to previous financial foolishness, he still has to work though in his late 60's. In a convenience store, which the state forbids to enforce masks on customers.
    Hope he gets better, by the way the auctioneer I work with is his late seventies and still going.

Yesterday, my camera stopped working. It won't turn on, and it won't charge. Naturally, this happens at a time when microchip production is way, way down and it's expensive to replace the thing.

"You can't erase icing."

Non-trivial: I am now officially a murder suspect. But in the, lacking a better phrase, "best possible way":

-I didn't do it. Always a good start eh.
    -it's about a murder on a teacher in our town; one of the only things they know for sure is that the murderer was male and as such now every father of children under 12 in our town is a suspect. They're doing a big scale DNA investigation to try to find a match.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    They're doing a big scale DNA investigation to try to find a match.
    More detail, please?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

They have DNA of the murderer from the scene but they don't have a match in their database. So they have defined a group of suspects (basically half the male adult population of the town...)and are taking DNA samples of the entire group to compare to the murderer's DNA.

Seems odd to target only the fathers of schoolchildren! Hope they catch him.

They have DNA of the murderer from the scene but they don't have a match in their database. So they have defined a group of suspects (basically half the male adult population of the town...)and are taking DNA samples of the entire group to compare to the murderer's DNA.
    I was afraid you were going to say something like that.

No. Just, absolutely, no. That's insane.

Have they given up on old-school detective work and jumped directly to “test everyone’s DNA”?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I was afraid you were going to say something like that.

No. Just, absolutely, no. That's insane.
    I don't think I have enough information to decide if it's insane or not.
    If I am a potential suspect in a crime for which DNA evidence exists, in the UK I have a right to ask for a DNA test to exonerate myself, and I would certainly exercise that right.
    So if the police turn up in town and say, "All you lot are potential suspects, who wants to undergo a DNA test?" I can't see that as being particularly insane. And that seems to be the situation in the Netherlands:
    According to art.151a, paragraph 1, the public prosecutor can initiate a DNA investigation in order to compare DNA profiles, using the DNA material of a suspect or of a person against whom no suspicions have arisen (a third party). A threshold that has to be met in order to perform a DNA investigation is therefore the condition that there must be a suspicion. The DNA material of this person can only be taken with his permission, which has to be in writing.
    The large-scale DNA investigation is aimed at comparing the DNA material of an unknown suspect with the DNA material of a group of other people in order to find a ‘match’. The DNA material of this group of people may not be used for any other purposes and may not be compared to DNA profiles collected in a DNA database. The persons who are invited to give their DNA material for such an investigation should give their permission in writing. It should be made clear that one is cooperating as a third party and not as a suspect. Also, the single fact that a person refuses to cooperate with the investigation should not make him a suspect. If no match between the DNA of a person from this group and the DNA of the unknown suspect has been found, the DNA material of this person has to be destroyed. If, however, there is a match, the person will become a suspect from that moment onwards. His DNA profile will then be stored in the DNA database and will be compared to all other DNA profiles in the database, in so far as it concerns a suspicion as mentioned in art. 67 CCP.
    (He says, immediately wondering if Nicolas is actually in Belgium.)
    But the issue is made clear enough by the Dutch law. How much suspicion is enough? Is the sample obtained by consent, or is there legal coercion? Is the sample/data retained after its current usefulness is finished? If retained, under what circumstances can these DNA data be accessed again, and by whom?

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2021-Oct-06 at 08:57 PM.
    Blog

They've been following the little leads they have for a year now without results, so that's why they decided to go for a broad DNA analysis based on a few very general profiles (eg "close relatives, ex students, fathers of students"). And as one of my children had that teacher as a substitute for one day, I fit the profile.

In any case, I'm not against the DNA test and I'll certainly take it in this context. It's an easy way to get me and hundreds of others clean off the suspect list. And in the past they have been able to find the murderer this way (either by a match or by looking into those people who refused the test). I do however wonder if my DNA profile would be kept in the police database or not. Because today they'd use it only in the current investigation, but what if future legislation decides the database can be used in other major crime investigations, or to check which political rallies I have visited, if I have actually washed my hands after going to the bathroom, used the correct knife for the first course, etc? You get the idea. In these days where GDPR doesn't even allow a shoe store to put your shoe size in a database, some more info about what they'll do with your DNA profile would be welcome. After all, we're on a suspect list based on a next-to-meaningless "profile". The letter I received gives exactly zero details about what they'll do with my DNA profile outside of the current investigation.

I am in Belgium and I haven't looked up our laws regarding the subject yet. They are different from the Dutch law however, as the invitation (...) letter uses the phrases "potential suspect" and -one line below- "suspect". Though I have the feeling that the latter line is a standard phrase and not very applicable to the situation at hand (nor is the added overview of "your rights as a suspect" which deals mainly with lawyers and interrogations, which I will not undergo as it's just the DNA test). The first line that uses "potential subject" is clearly written specifically for this investigation and is more suitable for the group of people receiving this letter.

For clarity: I don't feel hostility even though the letter could use a bit of rephrasing left and right. We'r the second group to be tested in this investigation, and it's not like they treated the first group as criminals or anything. They know they've defined a very broad group and how very applicable the assumption of innocence is in these situations.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2021-Oct-06 at 10:30 PM.

I'm going to stick with "insane," but I do realize that my threshold for determining acceptable government behavior is higher than most.

I am in Belgium ...
    Yes, sorry about that. We used to use the Dutch legal examples as a framework for discussion in Moral Philosophy (the Dutch have been thinking about this longer than most), and I immediately thought: Ooh, I actually know quite a lot of stuff that's relevant to this problem.
    Still relevant in a Moral Philosophical sense, of course, but not so much to your legal situation, once I'd managed to remember where you live.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

I'm going to stick with "insane," but I do realize that my threshold for determining acceptable government behavior is higher than most.
    I'm going to stick with "I don't know enough to comment", but I do realize my threshold for requiring data before theorizing is higher than most.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

I also have my own opinions on the subject but let’s remember: laws differ among countries and arguing their relative merits is out-of-scope here at CQ.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)