Page 148 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149 LastLast
Results 4,411 to 4,440 of 4441

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

About a week ago I noticed a thing growing on my neck. After a few days I had my wife put a bandage on it for me so I wouldn't keep scratching it open and having it bleed. This morning I had her take a picture of it for me, then called the dermatologists.
    I'm terrified it's a melanoma. It looks like one. And I can't get into the dermatologists for two weeks.
    I've had lots of skin cancers before but never a melanoma. Those are the really dangerous ones.

This is going to be a long couple of weeks.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Have you ever had a situation where you should have dealt with back in the distant past but you thought you could work around it and just made a bigger mess.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    About a week ago I noticed a thing growing on my neck. After a few days I had my wife put a bandage on it for me so I wouldn't keep scratching it open and having it bleed. This morning I had her take a picture of it for me, then called the dermatologists.
    I'm terrified it's a melanoma. It looks like one. And I can't get into the dermatologists for two weeks.
    I've had lots of skin cancers before but never a melanoma. Those are the really dangerous ones.

I hope it is nothing serious.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I've lived with skin cancer for years. You get used to it after the third operation.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I hope it is nothing serious.
    Me too. I sent pictures of it to the clinic. They called and gave me an earlier appointment, but the ARNP says it just looks like a seborrheic keratosis. So I'm feeling a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I've lived with skin cancer for years. You get used to it after the third operation.
    Me too. But I've never had a melanoma, and the appearance of this thing scared me. I've lost count of the number of squamous cell cancers I've had removed.
    Ever had the "blue light" treatment to get the pre-cancers off your face? I had it a few months ago. Geez, that was excruciating.

I probably wouldn't have been as concerned about this thing if it wasn't in the Time of Covid. It shouldn't stress me so much, but it does.

Ever had the "blue light" treatment to get the pre-cancers off your face? I had it a few months ago. Geez, that was excruciating.
    No, never did, but thinking about that makes me nervous. Oh, and I get those keratosis thingers too. Ugh.

A few years ago I went in for a check and saw the PA. I pointed out a spot; he said it was an actinic keratosis (pre-cancer) and froze it.
    Next time in it was still there and I saw the actual doctor. Nope, he said, just a seborrheic keratosis.
    Time after that I was back to the PA. This time he took a sample

Whoops, squamous cell! Time for Mohs surgery!

A friend's husband has tested positive. They live in a large household of several families--eleven people in all, I believe--and are now waiting on test results for the adults; the children weren't able to get tested.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    A friend's husband has tested positive. They live in a large household of several families--eleven people in all, I believe--and are now waiting on test results for the adults; the children weren't able to get tested.
    That sounds very worrying I hope it works out ok.

Dentists have returned to normal operation here, on Monday, after only doing emergency work during the Coronavirus shutdown. Before the shutdown I was 2/3's of a way through a root canal treatment. Yesterday I went to book for the final treatment and also because I thought a filling was needed in another tooth. They are flat out catching up and I wasn't able to book an appointment until next week.

Unfortunately, during the night it became obvious that this new painful tooth will actually also need the root canal done - I have had plenty of experience with these. I have put my name down to be contracted if there a cancellation but this seems unlikely. What I have done is get a prescription for a course of antibiotics to temporarily control the infection in the tooth and this already seems to be having some success. So, hopefully, I can make it reasonably comfortably until Tuesday.

To bug me even more we had arranged the first together of some of our family since my brothers wife died just before the shutdown and this will have to be delayed as it clashed with the dentists appointment and I cannot sensibly put off the root canal treatment. Two of the couples attending are taking the chance to go on camping trips next week for the first time since intrastate travel restrictions have been lifted so the gathering has had to be postponed for a couple of weeks.

I have a dentist's appointment scheduled for I believe July; I'm hoping the dentist will be open then, as the tooth that was the biggest problem in January is literally falling apart right now.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I have a dentist's appointment scheduled for I believe July; I'm hoping the dentist will be open then, as the tooth that was the biggest problem in January is literally falling apart right now.
    My phone just alerted me that I have a dental cleaning scheduled for a month from now. We’ll see how that works out. Currently, dentists are only doing critical work in these parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Our dentist is open for routine cleanings but certain procedures are still prohibited such as using the baking soda/water jet or the water pick. Basically anything that can create an aerosol.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Our dentist is open for routine cleanings but certain procedures are still prohibited such as using the baking soda/water jet or the water pick. Basically anything that can create an aerosol.
    Oh boy, they can still use the scraper, pick thingy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

After a bad evening the antibiotics seem to be taking effect today. The tooth is a lot more comfortable and I am a bit more hopeful that it will be ok until my appointment. What has also caused a problem with the catch-up efforts by the dentists is that Monday is a Public Holiday here - Western Australia Day.

To cheer me up, as I was composing this post an e-mail came in to announce that our local library has just re-opened with a 20 person at a time limit.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    After a bad evening the antibiotics seem to be taking effect today. The tooth is a lot more comfortable and I am a bit more hopeful that it will be ok until my appointment. What has also caused a problem with the catch-up efforts by the dentists is that Monday is a Public Holiday here - Western Australia Day.

To cheer me up, as I was composing this post an e-mail came in to announce that our local library has just re-opened with a 20 person at a time limit.
    I am envious of your library access. I have a stack of music CDs waiting for me whenever ours reopen. In the meantime I just have to be satisfied with getting a drink, a meal, a new tattoo and a hair cut.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I am envious of your library access. I have a stack of music CDs waiting for me whenever ours reopen. In the meantime I just have to be satisfied with getting a drink, a meal, a new tattoo and a hair cut.
    We were always allowed to get a haircut but many places did close. We can currently only drink with a dine-in meal and a 20 person limit, tattooists, and beauty parlours, not hairdressers, will remain closed for at least a few more weeks.

Edit: An hour after I posted this our State government announced a major relaxation of the shutdown rules. From next week almost all business will be allowed to open. The 20 person limit will be increased to 100 persons or 300 in premises with multiple large rooms. Drinks will be served without a meal but the customers must be seated. There have been no persons in Hospital in W.A. due to Covid-19 for a week or so and no community transmission for a number of weeks.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2020-May-29 at 07:16 AM.

My rheumatologist called this afternoon with the results of my most recent, regular blood work. Positive result for TB but I'm symptom-free. I go in tomorrow for chest films.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    My rheumatologist called this afternoon with the results of my most recent, regular blood work. Positive result for TB but I'm symptom-free. I go in tomorrow for chest films.
    Dang, that sucks. Here's hoping for a good outcome.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Sorry to hear that. At least it usually can be treated effectively with antibiotics, even if it takes a long time.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I also hope that it all goes well. The lack of symptoms seems to be a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Bummer. Get better soon.

Yikes. Hope you come through it okay.

"You can't erase icing."

Dang, Brett.

(There is a comma there. I checked twice.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Graham came home from work yesterday and announced he'd been fired. It's not quite true--but Lowes is no longer doing their appliance installation in-house, and everyone who was doing it is either getting laid off or reassigned. Graham was fortunate and got reassigned, but of course it also comes with a ~$3/hour pay cut.

"You can't erase icing."

Graham came home from work yesterday and announced he'd been fired. It's not quite true--but Lowes is no longer doing their appliance installation in-house, and everyone who was doing it is either getting laid off or reassigned. Graham was fortunate and got reassigned, but of course it also comes with a ~$3/hour pay cut.
    $3 less is better than 100% less, but that still stinks.

The deliberate and vulgar depravity of racism, its thoughtless cruelties and brutalities, most especially the degenerate white supremacist garbage. I have numerous black family members in my immediate and extended families. Racism is a nontrivial thing that "annoys" me every single day.

And some of my friends have some truly awful friends, as we're discovering these days.

"You can't erase icing."

And some of my friends have some truly awful friends, as we're discovering these days.
    And relatives, in my wife's case.

Indeed. My dad's sister turns out to have some really toxic in-laws; her husband's brother seems to think that calling my 57-year-old cousin a child advances debate, too.

"You can't erase icing."