Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Truisms (what "everybody knows" and is wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by jt-3d
    Pepperoni pizza is good. Really now, that is the most popular pizza ingredient, I think it even rates cliche status and yet pepperoni is the most vile, greasy, nasty tasting meat known to (this) man.
    I know you're not trying to be super-serious here, but just remember that "Pepperoni pizza is good" is not the type of statement we're talking about in this thread--it can't be said to be either true or false. It's a matter of taste, a matter of opinion! You say that's false, but I say it's 100% true. Is either of us wrong? No!
    I could eat pepperoni pizza every day--and if I had to make that my only pizza topping for the rest of my life, that would be fine! Mmmm.....I think I know what I'll get for lunch today!

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie
    I could eat pepperoni pizza every day--and if I had to make that my only pizza topping for the rest of my life, that would be fine! Mmmm.....I think I know what I'll get for lunch today!
    Ah, what you east-coasters don't know about pizza sausage...

You should try pizza with both the hot sausage known by the Italians as "salamino piccante" (a.k.a. pepperoni, as far as I understand) and the german sausage known by the Germans as "Bockwurst".

Quote Originally Posted by papageno
    You should try pizza with both the hot sausage known by the Italians as "salamino piccante" (a.k.a. pepperoni, as far as I understand) and the german sausage known by the Germans as "Bockwurst".
    I say, PILE ON THE MEATS!

And, Don't Spare the Hot Sauce ...

Is pepperoni like salami?

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomWolf
    Is pepperoni like salami?
    Salami is similar to a sausage (usually harder and spicier, because it is stocked for a long time).
    The "pepperoni" used in Italy on pizza is typically a spicy salami (pizza alla diavola).

If you can read Italian, try this.
    For the others see here and here.

Weird Dave wrote:

Because anthropogenic climate change is not an absolutely 100% certainty, we should assume it is absolutely certainly false and do nothing about it.
    That's an odd sort of statement. Many of the other posts in this thread are along the lines of "percieved to be true facts" that are actually wrong. Your contribution would appear to be more of a "commonly held opinion that you happen not to agree with, or feel is based on flawed logic".

Any action to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases (or other pollutants) would send us back to the stone age.
    Again a very strange statement. I find it hard to believe that there are a significant number of people who believe this, as stated. Switching my home over to low-wattage light bulbs curbs GHG production, but I am under no illusions that I have begun a slippery slope toward cave-dwelling...

Sheki

Carbon dating is the method used to radiometrically date everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheki
    Weird Dave wrote:

Because anthropogenic climate change is not an absolutely 100% certainty, we should assume it is absolutely certainly false and do nothing about it.
    That's an odd sort of statement. Many of the other posts in this thread are along the lines of "percieved to be true facts" that are actually wrong. Your contribution would appear to be more of a "commonly held opinion that you happen not to agree with, or feel is based on flawed logic".
    I admit this; I think that logical flaws are misconceptions just like flaws in knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheki
    Any action to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases (or other pollutants) would send us back to the stone age.
    Again a very strange statement. I find it hard to believe that there are a significant number of people who believe this, as stated. Switching my home over to low-wattage light bulbs curbs GHG production, but I am under no illusions that I have begun a slippery slope toward cave-dwelling...

Sheki
    I do hear comments like this sometimes - exaggerated perhaps, but they are still said. The use of low-wattage bulbs is just one of the many reasons that I disagree with claims of this nature.

I accept that some people may disagree that these are misconceptions (whether you think that they are true, or that nobody believes them); but some people would also disagree with Glom's examples on page 1. Not being a climate scientist, I am not qualified to have a learned debate on the issue, which is why I didn't disagree with Glom's post or comment on the science.

There's one thing I'm sure we're agreed on: none of my comments are as controversial as the ridiculous claim that people actually went to the Moon.
    8-[
    [Runs away]

Swansont wrote:

Carbon dating is the method used to radiometrically date everything.
    =D> =D>

Oh, that's a good one.

DNA identification is always 100% right (Or did we cover this one?)

"Peperoni is a type of sausage"
    "Pepperoni is a capsicum"

Quote Originally Posted by AstroSmurf
    DNA identification is always 100% right (Or did we cover this one?)
    Well it technically is somewhat close to something slighly less than 100% correct if you do not have a twin and you look at the entire chain. :-)

How about that fact that it happens nearly instantly.

Another few:

-Mideval castles poured Boiling oil ontop of enemies. Oil was far to expensive to be wasted this way. They used other things. It did happen, but not even close to the frequency shown in the movies and T.V.
    -people in the past were "stupider" or "dumber" than people today. Absolutely not true. They are the exact same as today. Take a kid from 100, heck 1000 years ago and put him in a shool today and i bet you will not be abel to tell the difference.
    -Native Americans always used horses as a means of Transportation. Nope, Horses might of origonally evolved in the Americas, but they wen't extinct. They were brought back by Colonial settlers.

Has anyone mentioned that connection between the full moon and "people acting crazier"? That's apparantly a myth as well.

"Atoms are like miniature solar systems, and the electrons orbit the nucleus like planets orbit the Sun".

If you believe that, it's probably because you were taught it at school. I'm afraid it's wrong. More wrong than you can possibly imagine. And yet, thinking like this can give the right answers in many cases. This is an example of why physics is difficult, and proves that all physicists deserve a pay rise. Please write to your MP/senator and request a pay rise for your local physicist.

Quote Originally Posted by Weird Dave
    This is an example of why physics is difficult, and proves that all physicists deserve a pay rise. Please write to your MP/senator and request a pay rise for your local physicist.
    =D>
    You have no idea of how much I agree with this!

"Passive smoking is bad for you"

Come on, if you work in a bar and inhale even one cigarette's worth of nicatine a day you'd be addicted within a week. If you're not addicted you can't be passively smoking enough to have any significant effect on your health.

[runs for cover]

Quote Originally Posted by Weird Dave
    This is an example of why physics is difficult, and proves that all physicists deserve a pay rise. Please write to your MP/senator and request a pay rise for your local physicist.
    =D>
    You have no idea of how much I agree with this!
    Its a common misconception that writing to your senator will actually do anything.

;-) :-P

[joke folks, just a joke]

It's a common misconception that shaving will make a man's (or woman's!) beard/mustache grow back thicker.

Was told this many times while growing up. Then I learned to think.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Yeah, that sucks. I hate hair.

Quote Originally Posted by worzel

Come on, if you work in a bar and inhale even one cigarette's worth of nicatine a day you'd be addicted within a week. If you're not addicted you can't be passively smoking enough to have any significant effect on your health.

[runs for cover]
    It's not the nicotine that is the trouble it's all the rest of the junk. And if you don't think it's bad for you, ask a non-smoker how they feel after being in a room fulled with people smoking. Cming away with a splitting headache and feeling like you're got a hang-over isn't be normal and you can't tell me that when you feel like that it hasn't harmed you. Now imagine being in that environment 5 nights a week 225 days a year and tell me that a person wouldn't be suffering any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by worzel

Come on, if you work in a bar and inhale even one cigarette's worth of nicatine a day you'd be addicted within a week.
    I get the impression that the first part is false, the second part true. I can attest that the second part is way off base, however.

Quote Originally Posted by pghnative
    It's a common misconception that shaving will make a man's (or woman's!) beard/mustache grow back thicker.

Was told this many times while growing up. Then I learned to think.
    This, I hear, is an illusion created by the shaved tips of the hair. As it grows back, the ends are sharp, so they feel more corse. They also look thicker, because the tips haven't been worn down to a point.

And if you keep crossing your eyes, they'll stay that way.

Cracking your knuckles causes arthritis?

That Armagedon is a bad movie. Sorry, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomWolf
    It's not the nicotine that is the trouble it's all the rest of the junk. And if you don't think it's bad for you, ask a non-smoker how they feel after being in a room fulled with people smoking. Cming away with a splitting headache and feeling like you're got a hang-over isn't be normal and you can't tell me that when you feel like that it hasn't harmed you. Now imagine being in that environment 5 nights a week 225 days a year and tell me that a person wouldn't be suffering any harm.
    Eyup. My grandfather (father's side) died in the VA hospital after living tied to an oxygen tank for 8 years. My father died when I was 13, he had very bad emphysema, among other things. Both were heavy smokers. I had a long list of lung related diseases when I was young ... so often some kids labeled me a hypocondriac. Strangely enough, after my father died, I became one of the healthiest kids in the school.

Of course, I never smoked myself, and would never think of it.

We go to a great deal of trouble to control a long list of chemicals based on relatively little research indicating their danger. There is absolutely no doubt that many of the chemicals in cigarette smoke are dangerous. It is trivially easy to see that smoke can irritate the lungs, making diseases more likely, exacerbate problems like asthma, and causes misery to many allergy sufferers. And, unfortunately, smoke goes EVERYWHERE.

Sorry for the rant, but this one is a bit personal.

I hear you, Van Rijn.

I've lost far too many people to lung cancer, and only half of them were smokers. The others were exposed to second-hand smoke on a regular basis. Another fellow I met in the hospital a while back, he had just been diagnosed with colon cancer. Punchline? He chewed tobacco.

These are anecdotes, not data, but it's going to take some really strong research to convince me that second-hand smoke isn't harmful.

Second-hand smoke ranks third as a major preventable cause of death behind only active smoking and alcohol.1

1. Glantz SA, Parmley WW. Passive smoking and heart disease: Epidemiology, physiology, and biochemistry. Circulation , 1991:83;1-12.
    As prone as I am to make fun of Central Canada at the drop of a hat, I'll take the word of the Ontario Medical Association over anybody here on medical issues.

And a smoking ban in all public places is being considered by the provincial government. Hopefully this will reduce exposure to second-hand smoke. It's been a very successful by-law here in Ottawa, though some smokers and restaurant owners complained.

We have had the smoking ban for some time now in B.C.....

So long that when me and my friends took a trip to Sask., my smoking friend would always go outside to have a smoke, even though they have a smoking section indoors...he was so well trained to got outside, he did it for the enitre trip...

Ya shoulda seen the looks he was gettin.....

And how about....

The Wayans brothers are funny.....because their not...