Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Truisms (what "everybody knows" and is wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel
    A couple from the world of entertainment:

Humphrey Bogart never said 'Play it again, Sam' in Casablanca.
    Conan-Doyle's Sherlock Holmes never said 'Elementary, my dear Watson'.
    In that same vein, nobody ever said, "Beam me up, Scotty," on Star Trek.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Knight
    Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey
    Columbus "Discovered" america
    Is that because he thought he discovered India? Was he the first European to go to the New World?
    even that is up for debate, vikings perhaps as mentioned. there is now a new theory that seems to be gaining ground and evidence, the book is quite good reading whether you agree or not with it. granted it's not european...

Hmmmm, let's see. Things "everybody knows, but is wrong". We're skipping the obvious one: That man landed on the moon!

[ducks, runs]

*all* Viking helmets had horns (IIRC they've only found two)

Quote Originally Posted by darkhunter
    Someone actually found two horned helmets? I thought it was a complete fabrication.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilya
    Quote Originally Posted by darkhunter
    Someone actually found two horned helmets? I thought it was a complete fabrication.
    Jst something I remember from somewhere--if I could remember where I remember it from it would help work out weather it was true or just something in a work of fiction...

Quote Originally Posted by snowcelt
    Porcupines shoot their quills.
    Whoa. If I had a dime for every moronic dog owner who swore that a porcupine "shot its quills right into my dog who was just minding his own business.." I'd be the wealthiest member of the BABB. Wait--actually, a dime would not amount to as much as the veterinary fees for removing those quills. So maybe I'll settle for a dime for every moronic dog owner who tried dumping ashes and vinegar onto the quills "because that will make them fall right out" or the ones who painstakingly cut the tip off each and every quill "to let air in so the quills will fall out."

How about, "Every person on this earth has a double somewhere?"

What about the opposite, things people say which sound like superstition but are in fact true. Like "Why are my keys always in the last place I think of looking?" (duh, because once you've found them you stop looking).

Quote Originally Posted by pghnative
    Hmmmm, let's see. Things "everybody knows, but is wrong". We're skipping the obvious one: That man landed on the moon!

[ducks, runs]
    /slap

i knew there was a truism right under my nose...why must you humans always make me feel so lonely? my only company (and here-in lies my contribution) is the little green men on mars...ok, gotta go!

/ducks, runs after pghnative

Astronomy related one, but now 'common knowledge' thanks to "The Dish".....

The pictures of Neil's 'first step for man' came through the Parkes Dish.

(They actually came in through Honeysuckle Creek near Canberra. Parkes images were used about 10 minutes into the EVA and were so good that they remained with Parkes for the rest of the moon walk).

Is that because he thought he discovered India? Was he the first European to go to the New World?
    Well also it's hard to "discover" a place that already has millions of inhabitants.

Quote Originally Posted by Makgraf
    Well also it's hard to "discover" a place that already has millions of inhabitants.
    [sarcasm]
    Oh come on! Everyone knows that it was the moundbuilders first who then were taken over by the savages the Eurpoeans encountered! :-P [/sarcasm]

O.K. I accept your claim to his discovery. He did land in the Carribean first, but if i remember right he did come onto the Florida coast. And he did popularize the idea of its discovery.
    But the way its thought of in most American minds is still a incorrect myth.
    Columbus died believing he had found Japan and China. Later expeditions discovered that the land to the west of the Caribian islands was not China. Still later expeditions discovered that the land blocking the way was, in fact, a continent.

I vote for common misconception.

Quote Originally Posted by gethen
    How about, "Every person on this earth has a double somewhere?"
    Depends which bar they frequent

Quote Originally Posted by snowcelt
    Porcupines shoot their quills.
    Whoa. If I had a dime for every moronic dog owner who swore that a porcupine "shot its quills right into my dog who was just minding his own business.." I'd be the wealthiest member of the BABB. Wait--actually, a dime would not amount to as much as the veterinary fees for removing those quills. So maybe I'll settle for a dime for every moronic dog owner who tried dumping ashes and vinegar onto the quills "because that will make them fall right out" or the ones who painstakingly cut the tip off each and every quill "to let air in so the quills will fall out."
    We have echidnas and I have never herd that

Do echidnas' quills (Spines? Spikes? Meh.) even come off? They look better attached than porcupine quills.

Quote Originally Posted by Ut
    Columbus died believing he had found Japan and China. Later expeditions discovered that the land to the west of the Caribian islands was not China. Still later expeditions discovered that the land blocking the way was, in fact, a continent.

I vote for common misconception.
    Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus

Columbus:
    Expedition 3: Of note from the page:" In 1498, Columbus left for the New World a third time, accompanied by the young Bartolome de Las Casas, who would later provide partial transcripts of Columbus's logs. This time he discovered the island of Trinidad (July 31) and the mainland of South America, including the Orinoco River, before returning to Hispaniola. Initially, he described the new lands as belonging to a previously unknown new continent, but later he retreated to his position that they belonged to Asia."

So he was swayed a bit that it might be new lands. But in all fairness the page then does go on to say that he died convinced that he landed in Asia.

So you are correct and mildly correct. :-)

Well some one pointed out a few Bible ones, though they missed:

Adam and Eve stole an Apple (It was the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil.)

Noah took two of every creature of the Ark (There were 7 of many)

The flood lasted 40 days and nights (The claim is that it took over a year to for the waters to receed.)

I'd probably have a dozen others if I was bothered actually thinking.

Pepperoni pizza is good. Really now, that is the most popular pizza ingredient, I think it even rates cliche status and yet pepperoni is the most vile, greasy, nasty tasting meat known to (this) man.

Quote Originally Posted by jt-3d
    Pepperoni pizza is good. Really now, that is the most popular pizza ingredient, I think it even rates cliche status and yet pepperoni is the most vile, greasy, nasty tasting meat known to (this) man.
    You forgot the Anchovies

Pepperoni is a meat? Capsicum annuum was a plant last time I looked...

More misconceptions:

Because anthropogenic climate change is not an absolutely 100% certainty, we should assume it is absolutely certainly false and do nothing about it.
    Any action to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases (or other pollutants) would send us back to the stone age.

You can't see the moon in the daytime. I don't know if anyone really thinks this, but have you ever seen the daytime moon in any film or TV programme?
    If you look at a galaxy through a small telescope, you will easily see beautiful spiral structure just like the Hubble ST. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by AstroSmurf
    Pepperoni is a meat? Capsicum annuum was a plant last time I looked...
    wow

you're thinking of another common pizza topping, green peppers, or bell peppers--pepperoni is a spiced sausage

Quote Originally Posted by A Thousand Pardons
    you're thinking of another common pizza topping, green peppers, or bell peppers--pepperoni is a spiced sausage
    Or maybe "peperoni" (Italian for capsicum)

Quote Originally Posted by worzel
    Capsicum annuum is bell (green) peppers, no?

I think we've hit a linguistic snag here. AFAIK, pepperoni/peperoni is only used for a spiced sausage in the US - everywhere else, it's the word for a specific kind of the fruits of Capsicum annuum - there are a lot of strains with different usages; the mild one that can be used as a vegetable is called peperoni in Sweden and Italy at least, and the hotter ones like jalapeņo, pimento, cayenne pepper and so forth are used as spices.

Quote Originally Posted by worzel
    Capsicum annuum is bell (green) peppers, no?
    I wasn't disagreeing with you, just added the Italian word for capsicum that is easily confused with the American word "pepperoni".

There is of course an ingredient called pepperoncini that might easily be confused with the word pepperoni. The pepperoncini is a pepper.

There is of course an ingredient called pepperoncini that might easily be confused with the word pepperoni. The pepperoncini is a pepper.
    and now we know why spelling is impertant, even on the internet