Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Bad Truisms (what "everybody knows" and is wrong)

However, censorship could be said to be fascist

Yet so was Starlin and the current Chinese, Cuban, and North Korean leaders, all of who are Communist.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
    My question is why would you want a gun with recoil that would shatter the average shooter's shoulder and throw them halfway across the room? Isn't a gun supposed to do the damage to the other guy?
    It's manly?

I dunno, personally. I think that some people like the challenge of trying to handle a gun that has bigger cajones they do.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
    Yet so was Starlin and the current Chinese, Cuban, and North Korean leaders, all of who are Communist.
    Regardless, "Fascism" has become more connected with the idea of censorship.

If you want to call censorship "communist-like", go ahead. I personally don't have a problem with that terminology.

(P.S., it's Stalin, not "Starlin")

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    That one's a technicality, you know. In her second movie, She Done Him Wrong, she said, "Why don't you come up sometime and see me?" but I understand she never said it as it is usually quoted, with "sometime" at the end.
    Again, it's not true. It's in one of them in a song, even. I knew it was supposed to be the technicality, so I noted it particularly. In fact, in She Done Him Wrong, I was listening for the "close but no cigar," and it actually was "Why don't you come up and see me sometime," to my great surprise. (I watched them less than a month ago!)

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The IMDB (and the American Film Institute), disagrees.

The movie's line "Why don't you come up sometime and see me?" was voted as the #26 movie quote by the American Film Institute (out of 100).

Quote Originally Posted by pghnative View Post
    The IMDB (and the American Film Institute), disagrees.
    Disagrees with Gillianren?

All I'll say is that I'm not going to watch it again to find out!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Woolie Wool View Post
    "The Moon is light gray in color." This isn't often repeated, but many people believe it. It is actually quite dark, but appears light because of the extreme amount of light hitting it.
    If it looks light gray in its native environment though, isn't it light gray?
    In no light, the moon wouldn't have any color, so what does it matter what it would look like in light levels we'd consider normal? The moon would look different under green light, but it never is.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolie Wool
    The Moon... appears light because of the extreme amount of light hitting it.
    Besides, the moon does not have an extreme amount of light hitting it. As our resident heliochromologist has pointed out numerous times, Earth's atmosphere hardly blocks any of the visible light from the Sun. So the Moon and Earth are in the same environment, visible-light-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    Regardless, "Fascism" has become more connected with the idea of censorship.

If you want to call censorship "communist-like", go ahead. I personally don't have a problem with that terminology.

(P.S., it's Stalin, not "Starlin")
    I think the problem is the "non-technical" uses of words like Fascism and Communism. For example, it has been argued, that if you look at what was really proposed for a communist state, that we have never actually had one on Earth. Similarly, we don't really have a democracy in the US or most other "democratic" societies, we have republics. And there are the different aspects of these various societies - economic, political, etc. There are certainly countries that are economically capitalist, but still are not democracies or have censorship.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Heh, yeah, I've actually got a "made in taiwan" dinky-toy tomcat (3 inches long, maybe 4) painted in, and I kid you not, desert camo. That's right, it's a reproduction of an IAF Tom. (AFAIK, the US Navy has never painted toms in desert camo.) Hee hee. There's a problem, though. It's carrying Phoenix. As far as any civilian knows, nobody thought selling those was a good idea. The Iranians never got any.

Just picked up a dinky-toy Warthog in the same scale. It also has a major detail problem (what little detail there is on these things.) The model's tail-heavy, so they had to put the nose gear in the tail instead. Heh. Oops.
    still better than me, the closest thing i have to a tomcat is the front cover of topgun, which is incidentally what got me into tomcats in the first place.

I've also been a fan of the F-16 ever since i got to stand about 50 metres away from one that was starting up at the 2005 melbourne airshow, man that was awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    In no light, the moon wouldn't have any color, so what does it matter what it would look like in light levels we'd consider normal? The moon would look different under green light, but it never is.
    dunno if this answers your question, but the moon reflects about 10% of the light that hits it back, making it about as dark as slate

The moon's surface is about the same colour as old asphalt, so in the shade it's a dark grey. The trouble is that we rarely see it in the shade and against something we can judge it's colour by. The sky (which we generally see it) is pitch black so it appears bright in comparasion. In the Apollo images it is bright because 10% reflected sunlight is still a lot of light.