Thread: Study in the US?

Study in the US?

Does anyone know what the rules are, re: obtaining a PhD or MSc in the States? I already have a BSc 2i from a British university, but I might like to follow it up in the US??? :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k

What are the chances, guys??

I have to say this: Apply for your Visa VERY, VERY early. The speed of Homeland security is horrible these days.

What's "Homeland security"? ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops:

Basically the people who are charged now with seeing if you are going to hurt the U.S. or not. Think of a upgraded Customs or immigration security.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Tattum
    What's "Homeland security"? ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops:
    The Department of Homeland Security is a bureaucracy the United States created in the wake of the 9/11 attacks to protect us from terrorism.

Thanks guys. But, I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to harm the US...

Homeland Security is the agency that was set up after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. It is charged with a lot of different missions aimmed around the issue of keeping terrorist out of the US. It also is now in charge of some non-terrorist things, like dealing with natural disasters.

I believe Visa approval is still primarily up to the State Department, though Homeland Security has some involvement in the process. I don't know the details. But Hump is right that it seems to have become a long process. I assume you are a British citizen, which I would guess would make it a little easier.

As far as the universities, I don't know the details, but I think a BSc would be fine for getting into an American university. It might depend on the details of what you are studying, what British university your degree is from, and what American school. They might make you take some of the standardized entrance exams used by American graduate schools, such as the GRE (Graduate Records Exam).

Most American universities start their graduate programs in August/September. Seniors in undergraduate programs would be applying to graduate schools now for September 2005. If you are interested in next year, I'd get started now.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

For example right now i am applying for a change of Visa status since i recently got married to a U.S. citizen. We had to fill out a very long application (must of been at least a dozen pages of questions about eachother) showing that we do nkow eachother. Then we sent it off to a laweyer who will then send it off to the Govt. It will be farwarded throught Homeland security at some point. They said that this is usally the longest part.

But the time varies.

For example: Post 9/11 I changed my satus from E2 to Student ( I think its caled J-1) Basically i went from my parents to my own. The change too less than a single month. Others who i talked to were waiting 6 months plus and stiill have not gotten it.

The Lawyers are just now about to send off my information, so i will see how long it will take.

What i suggest is to get someone who knows the legal technicalities of the procedure. If it costs a bit of money it is worth it. It will help to speed up the process a tiny bit and also make sure you do not miss anything on your end. There is at least one student here who had to go home because he did not have everything filled out correctly and his I-20 was denied. (I-20 is another form basically saying you go to school like you are supposed to).

Its a enormously confusing process and i barely understand a quarter of it.

I suggest to go to the american embassy in yuor country and go through the process with them. I am sure they will help. But call first of course.

Thanks again, guys. I think I'll do that...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Tattum
    Thanks guys. But, I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to harm the US...
    You may be sure, but you need to convince some folks whose job it is to be suspicious of that as well.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

devrysuccess43.com

I just saw a commercial on tv.

I go to DeVry (onsite campus), but I believe you can get your degree online.

Check out the website. I'm pretty sure there are DeVry's all over the World. 8-[

I have a British friend, and it took her over a year to get her work visa reapproved after 9/11. No one would ever mistake this young lady for a terrorist, but they look at forms, not people. 8)

Speak about coincidences. I just got a stack of papers in the mail for me to sign on this subject. The stack is literally a half inch thick. I swear applying to become a permanent resident by more than ten people a year must decimate the countries forests.

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey
    Speak about coincidences. I just got a stack of papers in the mail for me to sign on this subject. The stack is literally a half inch thick. I swear applying to become a permanent resident by more than ten people a year must decimate the countries forests.
    Stop that, you're scaring me

Well alot of the stuff is in triplicate really. One for me, one for the govt, one for the lawyers.

The US Consulate in Edinburgh won't help, you have to go through the Embassy in London.

I think it is a chicken and egg situation, you have to arrange a course to get a visa but unis won't talk to you until you have.......

The people I know who have done it have started by contacting unis, some of which have budgets etc. for overseas students.

Good luck.

More thanks guys...I've suddenly decided, now that my time here is done, that it's time I saw the World. If I can further my education at the same time - then that's all the better?

How about Canada? I'm not an expert on Canadian Immigration but I think a British citizen may have an easier time getting into Canada then they would to the US.

Depending on what you're looking for, this 10th campus of California's UC system might be looking for you:
    http://www.ucmerced.edu/openingmajors.asp