Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Economics

Economics

Any Economists here interested in politics? We could use you at FWIS.

I don't think I am spelling 'shiilling' correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinemarten
    I don't think I am spelling 'shiilling' correctly.
    I take it you mean this?

http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...lling&r=67
    shill Audio pronunciation of "shilling" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (shl) Slang
    n.

One who poses as a satisfied customer or an enthusiastic gambler to dupe bystanders into participating in a swindle.v. shilled, shill·ing, shills
    v. intr.

To act as a shill.

v. tr.

1. To act as a shill for (a deceitful enterprise).
    2. To lure (a person) into a swindle.

Yes. Do you have a definition for bump as well?
    Last edited by Pinemarten; 2007-Mar-20 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Hit wrong button before finishing

Got any forums for people with Asperger's only?

well neighther I am an economists nor politician but the both topics today become interesting one in the world, since a ex-student of post graduate level of economics, I am only interested through that point because economics was my subject. My elder brother has a nautia about economics, he afraid of diagrams charts and theorums in the economics.

But today in every business economics applies, but you know how people apply this subject with their business, their understandings are much different. Today we are wathing the events of the global trade post globalization, and how the poor people in this world are getting trouble through it, because the inflation rate worldwide is somewhat higher. The gross domestic produce, and the net income both are reflecting the bars on the economy and its development. There is a big rift between the poors and the rich people in this world, I think this gap of differentiation about income and its variations in the daily life hampering on a large scale, thus the world's economic position is not that sound, and also there is a aggregate impact on the purchasing power of the individual.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    First, there was Smith. Then there was Marx, who offered a better vision. When it proved to be the stupidest vision ever invented, along came Keynes, who offered a more practical vision. When it proved to not be as practical in practice, there was Hayek, who showed we should have listened to Smith in the first place.

And so we have the new Bank of England £20 note with some Scot on it.

And that's the history of economics.

Economics and Political Science. My 2 minors.

But it's even simpler than 777 Geek claims.

Imagine my dismay when, after 3 years of study, I realized that it's just 3 words (and one is an article). Supply and demand. Thank you Father Guido Sarduci.

Politics is more complicated. Precisely twice as complicated. 6 words:

I know what's good for you.

Don't give me no grief on the contraction or grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by suntrack2 View Post
    thus the world's economic position is not that sound
    I think that a big part of the problem is unchecked population growth. I wish that we could all agree on a reasonable policy. It seems to me that the following is reasonable:

1. every human has the right to have one child (so, if you get married then you and your spouse may have two children)
    2. males have the right to have a male child. Females have the right to a female.

This would actually result in negative population growth and solve many problems (I think) But *many* people will not even be willing to talk about it.

Oh well.

I think that a big part of the problem is unchecked population growth. I wish that we could all agree on a reasonable policy. It seems to me that the following is reasonable:

1. every human has the right to have one child (so, if you get married then you and your spouse may have two children)
    2. males have the right to have a male child. Females have the right to a female.

This would actually result in negative population growth and solve many problems (I think) But *many* people will not even be willing to talk about it.
    There doesn't seem to be any need to concern yourself with the rights of having children. Once a country becomes sufficently developed birth rates drop below replacment rates. The U.S. is the only developed country I know of where the birth rate is slightly above the replacment rate.

And even in the developing world the current trend is for a deceleration of population growth (though total population should continue to increase for some decades more).

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Brak View Post
    There doesn't seem to be any need to concern yourself with the rights of having children. Once a country becomes sufficently developed birth rates drop below replacment rates. The U.S. is the only developed country I know of where the birth rate is slightly above the replacment rate.
    If I'm not mistaken, that's only true because of higher birth rates among recent immigrants. If you exclude that factor the birth rate would be below replacement.

If I'm not mistaken, that's only true because of higher birth rates among recent immigrants. If you exclude that factor the birth rate would be below replacement.
    I understand that's supposed to a reason, although extremes in income are also another factor as lower income people tend to have more children.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B. View Post
    Replace "recent" with "illegal" and you're money.

Economists are very good at explaining what happened. But so is a newspaper, and you can wrap the garbage in it when you're done.

The impression I get is that (because economics has so much impact on politics, no doubt) serious economists for the most part stay secluded and ignored by the world in their universities, while intellectually minor figures are swept into the media spotlight for partisan or feel-good motives.

Silent Knight wrote:

In fact, we WOULD use you. And it wouldn't be pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Knight View Post

Are you recruiting some economists here?

We have a lot of "astronomists" here interested in politics of "The Enterprise"(Star Trek), and "The Senate"(Stars Wars).

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post

Oh well.
    In many cultures a boy is prefered. It may be problamatic to get the one boy one girl ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcelt View Post
    In many cultures a boy is prefered. It may be problamatic to get the one boy one girl ratio.
    I'm dubious as to why boys are preferred, and as a male and owner of my own company for many years, I can attest to the following:

1. Most societal problems throughout history have come males, not females.

2. Females work better in mixed-sex settings than do males.

3. Females are more inclined to work things out rather than playing power games to see who wins all or takes nothing.

The only two drawbacks I've seen are longer times both two females as well as a male and a female spend conversing about non-work issues.

Thus, I think it's a draw, which is probably why in most primative villages, as well as in Congress, both males and females hold positions of power.

Society simply works better with the mix. It's the Yin and the Yang. It's just who we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlpool View Post
    [/U]

Are you recruiting some economists here?

We have a lot of "astronomists" here interested in politics of "The Enterprise"(Star Trek), and "The Senate"(Stars Wars).
    Hummm, if so then I am ready to perform the role of economics ambasaddor of baut" because you know the space trips are related with economics, unless and untill the suffient passing out sum for the projects and space trips and other missions, no term of economics is fulfilled, hence here is a some sort of "ideas on economics". You will be surprise to know that how the people fear with the economics, because most of the people I have seen particularly the science stream people, who have a fobia, "that economics is the hardest subject and beyond of "understanding". I think economics is a easy subject, and it support in keeping yourself with a mind of analysis and the statistics and mathematics combination is the best combination "econometrics", is the best one.

The subject starts with the theories, economics called as a social science, later the diagrams are related with the bars, angles with the specification of the growth and income, demand and supply, loss and profits within a large scale industry. even the GATT (general agreement and trade and tariff is also related with economics of world).

economics also supports with "running earth smoothly", what I mean to say that all transactions in the form of money related with the subject.

so there is a vast need of reading economics. there are two simple rules in economics. 1. a law of demand, 2. elasticity of money, these two factors are highly droping impression on the whole economics of the world.

secondly where there is "icy area on earth, the population is comparetively lower, where there is a hot area on earth we are watching that population growth is tremandous". and the sudden growth in population may hamper the economic growth of any nation.

Economically speaking Mr Makorber always did for me..

Oh well.
    The problem with that is that currently, in order to hold the population steady, each family would average 2.1 children. So, 2 children would be below replacement, and the population would shrink (not that it's necessarily a bad thing at first, but clearly it isn't sustainable).

Some couples' second child would be twins. That would bring the average up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by cjl View Post
    The problem with that is that currently, in order to hold the population steady, each family would average 2.1 children. So, 2 children would be below replacement, and the population would shrink (not that it's necessarily a bad thing at first, but clearly it isn't sustainable).
    Originally Posted by tofu

Oh well.

But what if you have identical twins? or triplets , quadruplets?
    I have a chinese friend, in their country , particulary the Mainland China, their government has a policy to only have 1 child per couple, and its preferably a "Male". It was their solution to control their increasing population. If a couple bore "female" as their first born , they will pay a certain amount to their government as a "Fine" . Its Odd.. but well.. its their approach in attacking population and their economy.

And the result has been a significant difference in mortality rates for male and female infants.

The policy basically says "If it's a girl, you're better off killing her"

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

every human has the right to have one child (so, if you get married then you and your spouse may have two children)
    I think every human has the right to have as many children as they want, as long as they take the responsibility for the consequences.

When too many people have too many children, millions of other people may end up paying for the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Disinfo Agent View Post
    When too many people have too many children, millions of other people may end up paying for the consequences.
    Actually they don't have to, but for some stupid reason, we've been listening to snivelling, smarmy, bleeding hearted, jelly spined...people...that can't bear to watch people suffer the consequences of their actions. So we get "charity" and "welfare" and "foreign aid" and other associated wastes of resources.

Another law of money I have noticed is that when
    you work very close to big flows of the stuff
    then you can get much more of it to stick!
    The rationalisation is reward for taking risks,
    skills and experiance being rewarded, blah, blah,
    blah. I read this last week that a few metres
    down from the working quarters of City types,
    waste water engineers and technicians are
    coping magnificently in keeping the systems
    going! But most of what flows past them is not
    worth much. In any just World the income of these
    two groups would be reversed!