Thread: Wants to know about Newtonian Reflector, is it easy to make it ?

Wants to know about Newtonian Reflector, is it easy to make it ?

Hello Friends, I wants to know about Newtonian Reflector, means how its works ? what types of viewing quality does it have ? I wants to make a telescope as a interest, which design is suitable for a economical, effective and portable self made telescope ? Thank You.

Did you happen to read the link I posted on the other thread you started? If not, you should read it. It's got excellent advice for beginners, and for more advanced users as well for that matter. As far as making your own scope, it's a great deal of work and probably won't save you any $. If you're doing it as a $ saving measure, it's probably not such a great idea. If you're doing it for the hobby, interest, and/or sense of accomplishment, that's a different matter. However, I recommend getting some experience using various scopes and learning how they work before attempting anything so ambitious.

Have you researched astronomy clubs in your area? Attending meeting and a star party or two with a club is a good way to get started. You'll get a chance to try out various types of scopes. And also read the link I posted in your other thread.

Here's the link from the other thread:
    http://scopereviews.com/begin.html

Here's other links worth investigating:
    http://www.telescope.com/content.jsp...owToGetStarted
    http://www.telescope.com/Buying-Guid...40/com/441.uts
    http://www.telescope.com/Buying-Guid...41/p/99897.uts

I read that review, that is fantastic, I am not saving any $, I wants to make it as a fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
    Hello Friends, I wants to know about Newtonian Reflector, means how its works ? what types of viewing quality does it have ? I wants to make a telescope as a interest, which design is suitable for a economical, effective and portable self made telescope ? Thank You.
    There are several books on amateur telescope making; the ones I've seen have all concentrated on Newtonians because they are the easiest to make: one objective mirror, an angled mirror to reflect the light into the eyepiece, and the structure to hold these pieces together. Dobsonian mounts are fairly simple, although they are not easy to guide without electronics. See http://stellafane.org/tm/atm/index.html

Incidentally, Stellafane has been around since the 1920s, and the convention held there is the oldest amateur astronomy convention still in existence. I don't know where you are, but there are almost certainly helpful amateur telescope makers in your area.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

My first telescope was a home made 6" f/12 Newtonian. Not knowing the first thing about making one and lacking good books on the subject (this was 1953!) it took me nearly a year as I made a zillion mistakes along the way. I settled for a spherical mirror (hence the f/12) as this is much easier to grind and test. Today I own 10 scopes though it is the only fully home made one in the bunch. Optically it is the best scope I've ever seen performing better than a 5" APO AP refractor at a star party costing many thousands of dollars more. On a Dobsonian mount (not invented until decades later) it is a superb instrument.

Still making one will be much easier if you locate a local astronomy club. There wasn't one within 200 miles of me unfortunately. I'd have saved months of frustration and mistakes if one had of been available. A year after building it I did drive the 200 miles to attend one of their star parties and learned far more that one night than I'd been able to learn in the two years prior. I vowed to start a club in my area. Took the help of others but by 1961 we had the club up and running. It has helped many, like you build their first scope or otherwise get a jump start on the hobby. Google astronomy club and your town or a larger nearby town. Not knowing your location I can't help much.

I'm not sure if making your first scope is the best way to start but I do think everyone should do so relatively soon. You learn a heck of a lot that is difficult to pick up any other way. While none of my later scopes were completely home made (I even made my own eyepieces) several have far more home made parts than commercial and all have been modified in some way based on what I've learned along the way.

Oh yes, one of our members (an amateur as well as professional astronomer) actually published an article in a peer reviewed science journal on his double star research all done with a completely home made 6" Newtonian. His micrometer was made mostly from cardboard cut from his kid's Cheerio box! Total cost for everything used was about $70 and this was only about 10 years ago. Oh yes, many of his other published articles have been based on time he was granted (very hard to get) on the Hubble Space Telescope studying AGNs. So he's published using billions of dollars of gear and less than $100 worth of home made gear. It's not so much the equipment but the guy behind it that's important.

If you don't own a pair of 7x35 or 10x50 binoculars those are a necessity even before you start building that scope. You have to learn your way around the sky or the scope is nearly useless. A basic star atlas plus binoculars will show you what you need to use the scope effectively.

Rick