Page 74 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 3775

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    But then again, not as feel good, given the apparent inability of the Rebel Alliance/Republic to make any sort of secure situation in the DECADES after the fall of the Empire, allowing the events of The Force Awakens to unfold.

(Yeah, I know, we all understand that by the end of all this - however many movies, games, cartoons, books, and comics - it'll "work out", but by all accounts the franchise's producers are going to drag this story out for a long long long time.)

CJSF
    Fiction without conflict would be really boring.

Just look at Star Trek. The Federation is practically a utopia, a way, way nicer place to live than the Galactic Republic ever was; but it's always coming into conflict with outside threats.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

American Ninja Warrior started last week, but I didn't watch the premiere until last night. I so much love this sport, especially the athletes. I'm a little unsure of the new women's rules, though. Previously, the women competed completely equal and along the men, but this season in addition to the top 30 qualifiers moving to their city's finals, the top 5 women automatically make it. But last year 4 women made the Philadelphia finals with no such rule, and the women are getting more and more on a par with the men. It was explained that this new rule is because the women are getting stronger, but I don't see how that follows.

Also, Makoto Nagano was there!!!! He was there to support David Campell, I think? He did the ceremonial whack on the back, but my wife and I were too busy whooping it up for Nagano that we kind of missed who it was. We'll catch up with the San Antonio qualifier tonight.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

American Gods wrapped up its first season and I can hardly wait for the second. I love the way the story is told and unfolds, the acting continues to be first rate, and now ...

Kristin Chenoweth! Just short of five feet tall, but ten feet of talent. The perfect Ostara. Now if they can just find a way to let her sing.

Wednesday: Do you believe now, Shadow?
    Shadow: I believe.
    W: What do you believe?
    S: I believe everything.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Today I went to the monthly "Classics of the Silver Screen" at the 1928 built cinema in the suburbs. This months offering was Kismet with Howard Keel, Ann Blyth & Vic Damone. The music was lovely - adapted from the works of Alexander Borodin - the singers were all in fine voice and the sets were colourful. Unfortunately, the plot is irredeemably silly and the whole production is a bit plodding - not one of Vincent Minnelli's best efforts.

Going to be watching series 3 of Broadchurch in a couple of days. Not sure I even want to, but we will.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Going to be watching series 3 of Broadchurch in a couple of days. Not sure I even want to, but we will.
    shhhhhh...don't tell my Wife...maybe she won't remember...
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

I'm still disproportionately upset at there even being a 2nd series (that I haven't watched) to bother with a third. As I recall, the first was horribly depressing.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Electrons are free

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Watching Peter Pan for my Friday column. Simon's never seen it, though he has seen the dreadful Disney Junior cartoon roughly based on it.
    The original? My cousins and I saw that film together. My cousins still talk about it. When they flew, I stood up in my seat and put one foot on the seat back in front of me. And that is how a watched Peter Pan for the first time. Like Toddler-sized Captain Morgan.

Jake and the Neverland Pirates is hot with kids. I don't know why. Wait like 7 years, then ask Simon questions about it. He will be clueless, like he never saw it. You will have every line and story burned into your memory.
    Solfe

That assumes they aren't all basically the same story anyway. Though there's one show he watches that is literally the same every episode. There are a few specific details that get changed from episode to episode, but I'd say at least three-quarters of the script remains the same.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

We watched the penultimate season 3 episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt last night. This season is better than last, but still nowhere as awesome as most of season 1. If they get much more surreal and referential, though, they might ruin it completely. It'll be interesting where they leave things at the end.

I never read or watched any of the versions of Anne of Green Gables, but my wife thinks I should give Anne with an E a try.

CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; 2017-Jun-28 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Electrons are free

lonelybirder.org

I'm still disproportionately upset at there even being a 2nd series (that I haven't watched) to bother with a third. As I recall, the first was horribly depressing.

CJSF
    At least it was better than the American remake, Gracepoint, if only because Tennant didn't have to try to do an American accent.

My prediction, which is not a spoiler because it's just a wild speculation, is that the new season will have a twist ending that brings the solution to the original crime in line with Gracepoint. Or not.

I found a program called Sing that Thing! which is a broadcast competition between New England (mostly Massachusetts) choral groups, with about 1/3 each of high school, college, and community groups. They've performed everything from Russian Orthodox church music to Ariana Grande.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Just finished watching La La Land. We thought it was So So Land. Nice production, nifty opening sequence, good story but the pacing was sluggish. Stone and Gosling did OK but doubt they'll be winning any music awards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Watching the beginning of Grantchester and Peter Davison is playing the captain of the cricket club.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Watching the beginning of Grantchester and Peter Davison is playing the captain of the cricket club.
    Of course he played cricket in Dr Who. But in Grantchester he was not the "nice" Peter Davison he normally is, most disconcerting.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Of course he played cricket in Dr Who. But in Grantchester he was not the "nice" Peter Davison he normally is, most disconcerting.
    Was Peter Davidson playing a robot fro Krikkit? (I've watched Grantchester. Crime-solving clergy peaked with Father Brown )
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Was Peter Davidson playing a robot fro Krikkit? (I've watched Grantchester. Crime-solving clergy peaked with Father Brown )
    Unfortunately not - though he would have fitted in fine with rest of the Hitchhiking crew.

Grantchester does have a bit more angst in it. But it did get itself stuck with the "Will they/Wont they" dynamic between the male & female leads and it held back the progress of the series. I think that the TV Father Brown has veered off from his character in the books I read a long long time ago. But I still enjoy the show.

C-Span had a special on UFO belief:
    https://www.c-span.org/video/?425446...o-conspiracies

Just back from the monthly "Classics" screening. This month the film was Bye Bye Birdie with Dick Van Dyke, Janet Leigh and a very young and striking Anne-Margaret. Not a "great" musical but a tuneful, fun and extremely colourful one. Also on the bill were a Columbia Cartoon parodying film stars (loosely used) of the 1930's/40's (mostly Columbias' own surprisingly) and a Three Stooges short. All for A$8 (US$6.30) - a nice morning out.

Wife was away so binged the 8th season of Archer. Still very worth watching.

And halfway through season 3 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Still enjoying that too.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

CJSF
    I didn't think the first series was a laugh riot, but I did find it interesting. The second, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Wife was away so binged the 8th season of Archer. Still very worth watching.
    You might like this then
    http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=35244

Yesterday, I watched "Survival," the last of the Classic Who serials.

I believe the "Dimensions in Time" special is on YouTube, so I'm going to watch that before moving on to the '96 TV movie with Paul McGann.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Just watched arrival, man that movie leaves in kinds of directions emotional at the end.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

One of the local PBS stations here ran a special concert by Johnny Mathis, one which must have been recorded a few years back. It was a really good show with great music, although they ran the exact same commercial with the same sound bites every few minutes, and that got pretty stultifying. (They're having one of those "pledge weeks" where they show you extra special stuff to get donations, so they can go back to the usual stuff, like old British series. But I digress.)

When Mathis performs "Misty," there's a spot wherein he resumes singing ("On my own: would I wander through this wonderland alone?") after an instrumental interlude, and you become aware that the vocal is back without hearing it start. It's as if this note fades in from outer space and only just comes down into the range of human hearing. The camera caught a glimpse of Johnny starting with the mike at arm's length and bringing it back towards him, but it can't be that simple. It's an awesome moment, and it brought on a standing ovation from the audience. (Any dogs in the crowd might have responded even sooner!)

I got to wondering if keeping up with Mathis isn't a daunting task for the sound engineers. Some of his notes must have set tape players into auto-rewind back in those days.

Watch for it on your local stations.

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    I don't watch TV; I don't even have one - all of my entertainment comes from the Internet. Fortunately, that's a lot of entertainment to be had.

I'm currently watching all of Danny 2462's videos and for those who don't play Kerbal Space Program I'd better explain.

KSP is a space development/exploration sandbox game with a decidedly eccentric twist. Just about every player finds their own way to play it - my own preference is to build solid, efficient rockets. Others go for historical accuracy, others have fun and build Rube Goldberg contraptions. Still others use the medium for the art that sandbox games are known for; producing magnificent, huge constructs.

Danny explores the glitches of the game; finding out how to make the physics fail in hilarious ways. He's found out how to destroy planets, destroy ships, uses parts in weird and creative ways. His videos are pants-wettingly funny; I laugh so hard I can't breathe.
    Here are a couple of samples - I hope non-KSP players will laugh as hard as I do
    Last edited by NorthernDevo; 2017-Aug-15 at 06:02 PM.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

Ha--what are some of the largest rockets they've come up with.

On the subject of space--we have this on C-SPAN
    https://www.c-span.org/video/?430298-1/living-moon-mars

Sat-Sun

12:00PM NASA Solar Eclipse Briefings
    12:24PM NASA Solar Eclipse Briefings
    1:23PM Interview: Jeff Foust on the Space Program
    1:45PM Fiscal Year 2018 NASA Budget
    2:00PMNASA News Conference on Exoplanets
    2:40PMSummit on Human Exploration of Mars, Part 1
    4:40PM Vice President Pence Remarks in Houston, Texas
    6:30PM Communicators with Michael O'Rielly
    8:00PM NASA Solar Eclipse Briefings
    8:24PM NASA Solar Eclipse Briefings
    9:25PM Fiscal Year 2018 NASA Budget
    9:40PM NASA News Conference on Exoplanets
    10:20PM Summit on Human Exploration of Mars, Part 1
    12:10AM Vice President Pence Remarks in Houston, Texas
    1:00AM NASA Solar Eclipse Briefings

Task Master.

We have 3 seasons available from a T.V. stations' "on demand" (legit, streaming) service, so have been binging.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Just finished Season 3 of Broadchurch. First reaction to the reveal of the villain was "Wait, who the heck was he?" Might have been in one previous episode. Still, it had 2 Doctors, a Companion, and Prisoner Zero in it so it's ok.

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Ha--what are some of the largest rockets they've come up with.
    Chuckle - My personal largest is a 17-stage monster that actually made it to orbit; a tiny fraction of some ships they've come up with. The largest I've seen so far is a 1:1 scale representation of the Citadel from Mass Effect: 44Kms.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."