Page 52 of 119 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 3570

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Looks like Todd Hoffman is going to mine in the lower 48.
    This season of Gold Rush was the dullest ever. Perhaps we can see Todd lose his shirt again.

In the final episode, Jack Hoffman was talking about how he doesn't have that much time left. He's all of 68.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I don't why I even watch it.
    Most of the drama happened in the first of the season between Parker and Tony but that died down pretty quick. I don't know if I will watch it next year.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I tried to watch Gold Rush.
    Is it real?
    I wouldn't employ one of them.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    I tried to watch Gold Rush.
    Is it real?
    I wouldn't employ one of them.
    Real? It's a reality show. So no, it's not.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Real? It's a reality show. So no, it's not.
    My family going back generations in Idaho and here in BC were all gold miners, the first season wasn't that far from the reality of it. What Parker and his grandfather were doing was probably more accurate than the Hoffman's. But some of the drama that goes on reflects reality, I know my grandfather always carried a loaded luger when he was out in the field prospecting and doing claim maintenance and I remember stories being told of some of the confrontations and conflicts he and his family had with other miners.

My favorite story is what my great-grandfather did to get a hard rock claim on a mine that he eventually took more than a million dollars from in the 1930s and early 40s. He was working at a another mine in the area with some other miners. Two of them were responsible for maintaining the claim for another party not living in the area. You have to put in so much resources a year in upgrading a claim or it lapses. These guys were going to let the claim lapse on this lot then file themselves. What they didn't know was the date for filing new claims had changed. My great grandfather knew the new date, went out the night before, did the required work then rushed into the nearest center about fifty mile away and filed the moment the office opened. As I said he got about a million dollars of gold from the mine, but he had bigger plans. He put about $800,000 in upgrades back into the mine and was going to get really rich. Then WW II started and the strategic minerals act went into effect shutting the mine down. He never did reopen it, his kids did decades later though.

My grandfathers youngest brother managed to get title on the claim from his brothers through less than scrupulous means and he was the one who reaped the benefits, so some of the skulduggery that goes on in Gold Rush really does reflect the mentality of some of the people involved in gold mining. In some cases it really doesn't bring out the best in people.

We Bought a Zoo with Matt Damon. A really nice movie about a family dealing with loss looking to make a change who ended up buying and revitalizing an old zoo. No Zombies, Vampires, serial killers, alien invasions, drug wars, etc... Just a really nice real story.

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    We Bought a Zoo with Matt Damon. A really nice movie about a family dealing with loss looking to make a change who ended up buying and revitalizing an old zoo. No Zombies, Vampires, serial killers, alien invasions, drug wars, etc... Just a really nice real story.
    Very loosely based on a true story, too; I liked it.

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Very loosely based on a true story, too; I liked it.

CJSF
    I'd like to see a British version closer to the actual events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Bou...o#The_real_zoo

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/we-b...e-story-facts/

added- it looks like there is a documentary.
    Last edited by starcanuck64; 2016-Mar-17 at 03:40 AM.

It was made years ago.
    It's called Fierce Creatures Isn't it?
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    It was made years ago.
    It's called Fierce Creatures Isn't it?
    Which evolved from that other brilliant cross Atlantic riot, A Fish Called Wanda.

Speaking of Gold Rush, caught an episode of a similar show last night 'Mine Kings'
    It's participants are even more dangerous and inept than the Gold Rush idiots.
    All Moderation in Purple

Alaskan Bush People! What the?...
    All Moderation in Purple

Here in Alabama--if I want to see Alaska Duck Loggers of the Gold whatever--I can get my fill of bib overalls just looking outside my door.
    Then too--with Mythbusters off air--I can now ignore the "Discovery" Channel altogether--and enjoy MeTV Wonder Woman re-runs.

I made the mistake of watching Filthy rich on CNBC--where I saw this abomination: http://gcaptain.com/austrian-company...yacht-concept/

60 Minutes seems to doing a lot of stories on new buildings:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minut...ollar-designs/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnNwpmdWm1w

I use my On Demand options on cable a bit more (yes I have cable but no internet--go figure).

I was watching CHILD GENIUS last night. I was rooting for Clair to win: http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/chil...us/cast/claire

She came in third--the winner looking like a very young Roger Ebert.

In one of the most charming displays of sibling affection, her very young baby sister walked over, stroked her sister's arm in comfort--and said "Clair, your face is gleaming."
    That choked me up a bit I must say.

The last thing on TV I "watched" last night was a music channel. I wondered aloud what any children of mine may look like--right as I stumbled upon the Blues channel's:
    http://www.shazam.com/track/99606429...y-kids-is-ugly

It's good to be single.

That way, when the lovely Empire of the sun car commercial comes on, I can sing
    "Reading Field & Stream...I'mmmmsuch a gun-hun nut." and not bother anyone. That and secretly wonder if Slippin' Jimmy actually switched Walt's barrels of money with counterfeit and just works at the Cinnabon for cover.

Yes--that's how my brain works....or doesn't.
    Last edited by publiusr; 2016-Mar-18 at 07:08 PM.

Trinity and Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie
    Nukes in Space: The Rainbow Bombs
    Atomic Journeys: Welcome to Ground Zero

Coincidentally, I rewatched Mad Max: Fury Road.

Hausu - quite possibly the weirdest movie I've ever seen, and yes, I've seen Eraserhead. Unlike Eraserhead, Hausu is funny, very funny.

Finally saw Interstellar.

Meh.

One of the worst bits was the music overpowering the voices. It was already needing some concentration to follow the plot (in detail) fully, without constantly feeling I was missing something. I needed the subtitles on.

The meaning/purpose/power/whatever of love bits were a little too saccharine.

There was good stuff, but it mostly got lost. Best bit: the physical design of the Robots. Interesting, and not like anything I remember seeing before.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Since we have been discussing Gold Rush, John Schnabel passed away.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Finally saw Interstellar.

Meh.

One of the worst bits was the music overpowering the voices. It was already needing some concentration to follow the plot (in detail) fully, without constantly feeling I was missing something. I needed the subtitles on.

The meaning/purpose/power/whatever of love bits were a little too saccharine.

There was good stuff, but it mostly got lost. Best bit: the physical design of the Robots. Interesting, and not like anything I remember seeing before.
    What's worse is that the director says he INTENDED to drown out the dialog with the music. I can't even.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    What's worse is that the director says he INTENDED to drown out the dialog with the music. I can't even.

CJSF
    So viewers are supposed to guess what going on around things like extra dimensions allowing travel into and out of a massive black hole as well as marked special relativity effects?

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Since we have been discussing Gold Rush, John Schnabel passed away.
    He and Parker made season one worth watching for me.

He and Parker made season one worth watching for me.
    One of the most real parts of the "reality" show.

(I only watch about 25% of the episodes, but I'll make an attempt to see how this is handled.)

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

I've just watched part of 2 Person of Interest episodes. I suppose coming in near the end of season 4 isn't going to do anything much for my understanding of the show, but I noticed 2 things:

1. This show must do nothing but feed into the paranoia some demographics have on how surveillent our society is (and what the government is doing vs. what the show indicates)
    2. I still haven't sorted out who is "good" vs. "bad."

I'm one to wholly agree that our government is really trying to spy on us in very unconstitutional ways, but what this show indicates is way beyond the pale or technologically plausible. And that's not even considering the AI.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

One of the most real parts of the "reality" show.

(I only watch about 25% of the episodes, but I'll make an attempt to see how this is handled.)
    He reminded me of my grandfather and his brothers. I got to do some of that stuff with them as a kid, which I found boring after a while. Prospecting is basically walking through often hilly country looking at rocks and doing things like fixing the tracks on dozers is one of the hardest jobs I've done. Gold mining isn't easy and not many make it pay.

Then you get to hard rock miners. My stepdad was one in Idaho and Washington for 30 years. He's been trapped thousands of feet underground after a cave-in and one of the mines he worked in in Idaho's Silver valley had something called rock burst where pressure builds up in the drift walls and can cause explosive blowouts. According to Ray, when the walls of the mine stop groaning and creaking from the movement you start to get worried and people start blowing shifts until the rock explodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CHzvciyU9o

There's a similar show about prospectors, these are people who basically walk up a mountain, start hacking away under a rock, and look for various precious stones.

They try to "jazz it up" with claim jumpers and such, but not a lot seems to happen. But I find it fascinating.

I started watching How It's Made. I love the automation, the creativity behind designing a machine that can rapidly fold things in half, slice off perfectly-measured pieces, etc. But then I also like when an artist handcrafts an item.

I signed up to record the series, not knowing that a marathon or three was about to be aired. Last night I saw that I have 73 episodes in my queue.

It's going to be a while.

I'm fond of that show. It's soothing, in a weird way.

Not quite as soothing is the Adam West Batman; I got a season of it recently and have started showing it to Simon. He isn't objecting, and it's every bit as silly as I remember.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

There's a similar show about prospectors, these are people who basically walk up a mountain, start hacking away under a rock, and look for various precious stones.

They try to "jazz it up" with claim jumpers and such, but not a lot seems to happen. But I find it fascinating.
    It does get interesting when you start finding color.

My family owned this mine for years, when you do make a find it can be very profitable.

http://www.mindat.org/loc-140188.html

Russian Dash Cam videos. It makes me feel soooo much better about driving around St. Loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    Russian Dash Cam videos. It makes me feel soooo much better about driving around St. Loser.
    Good lord!

Warning graphic content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itMdLTd1l4E

Childhood's End. (The Sky TV series.)
    Quite liking what they've done with the novel so far. The gentle setting down of aircraft wasn't in the novel, but they did need something more than Clarke's bare-bones "big ships show up" to transmit the effect of the Overlords' arrival, and it produces some very effective images. Charles Dance and the scriptwriters captured the urbane tones of Clarke's Overlord Karellen very well, though I'm not so sure about how he looks in the flesh.

Grant Hutchison

Good lord!

Warning graphic content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itMdLTd1l4E
    Mild one. Add "fatal" to the search if you're brave enough.