Page 4 of 119 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching?

This season's viewing fare runs through three shows.

Once Upon a Time. Odd that this one appeals to me, but for some reason, I think they've put together an interesting premise.

The Walking Dead. Because sometimes, you just want to gnaw someone's head off and get away with it.

Revolution. I'm fading on this one a little, only because the stupid of some of the main characters burns too much. Interesting premise, though, even if the mcguffin's stolen from an old DS9 episode.

Once Upon a Time in the West. I got all the "once upon a time" movies the library had in one big lump, of course, and then got sick and didn't feel up to any of them until today.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Once Upon a Time in the West. I got all the "once upon a time" movies the library had in one big lump, of course, and then got sick and didn't feel up to any of them until today.
    I saw that on TV about a year or two before DVDs were generally available. I hadn't planned on watching it but once it started I was drawn in. A wonderful film, but I wanted to pause it after about an hour. After two hours I really wanted to pause it!

I would quite like to have seen it on the big screen, but I still don't really feel the need to see it again unless it's in a theatre. Presumably the Olympia Film Society, if they ever play it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Wasn't it Stephen King who said you haven't really seen a Sergio Leone film unless you've seen it on the big screen? Deserts that stretch all the way to the orbit of Neptune...

Yeah, but Stephen King was able to go to theatres when Sergio Leone was still making films. You know, without asking his mom and having her pay.

"You can't erase icing."

60 Minutes last night was especially good, with the last story showing the latest work of naturalists Dereck and Beverly Joubert:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_16...rets-of-lions/

Also featured: Peter Martins and the Balanchine legacy at the New York City Ballet; and Craig Kielburger who was influenced to speak out against child labor following the "passing" of 12 yr old Iqbal Masih who dared stand up to the institution.

STNG season 4 "Family" apparently in the future French people will speak with an English accent.

Coincidentally, I'm watching King of Texas, wherein people reenacting King Lear in nineteenth century Texas try really hard to cover up their English accents with Texan ones!

"You can't erase icing."

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here

Re: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by jokergirl View Post
    Watched Skyfall the other day. It was entertaining. Not your usual high-tech, smooth suave Bond there, but an enjoyable movie nonetheless.

Will be interesting to see what they will do with the next Bond, who will not be Daniel Craig.

But did you notice how Temple is now on the Jubilee line?

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    STNG season 4 "Family" apparently in the future French people will speak with an English accent.
    May I quote the The Refreshments?

"Well give your ID card to the border guard
    "Now your alias says you're Captain Jon Luke Picard
    "Of the United Federation of Planets
    "Cause he won’t speak English anyway"

Not only do you have to be a geek to get it, you have to be extremely shady to think that it is funny.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    But did you notice how Temple is now on the Jubilee line?
    I've never been to London.

Or play Mornington Crescent, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    Or play Mornington Crescent, apparently.
    Which comes close to my reaction which was something like "so an American movie company is trying to make their Bond authentically English by playing Mornington Crescent".

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here

Re: What are you watching?

My friend works in the City and he didn't notice it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
    Once Upon a Time. Odd that this one appeals to me, but for some reason, I think they've put together an interesting premise.

The Walking Dead. Because sometimes, you just want to gnaw someone's head off and get away with it.

Revolution. I'm fading on this one a little, only because the stupid of some of the main characters burns too much. Interesting premise, though, even if the mcguffin's stolen from an old DS9 episode.
    Seems we have inverse viewing habits.

Once upon a time....tried to watch it in the beginning, but just couldn't keep my interest.

The Walking dead....Stopped watching it mid 2nd season, when it became more of a soap. (and unfortunately, the same seems to be happening to Arrow....although the recent addition of The Huntress might change that....hopefully.)

Revolution...although I really enjoyed Fringe, (because of the character of Walter) Abrams is on my "no watch" list...and yes, it is because of how he ruined Star Trek.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

I had to watch the original Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy series after seeing the film. I still love the series and Alec Guiness as Smiley, there's something very warm and personal in this production for me which is a little ironic considering the subject matter.

My kids are applying a steady onslaught of Phineas and Ferb with brief respites of Adventure Time. I may go brain dead soon, but at least I will be laughing.
    Solfe

I'm watching the first disc of 40 Years of Sunny Days, a Sesame Street compilation. This is a nice break from Onibaba and Duck, You Sucker.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Which comes close to my reaction which was something like "so an American movie company is trying to make their Bond authentically English by playing Mornington Crescent".
    Nah, Hollywood Geography is a well-established part of the Bond series. The Alps are also separating Bratislava and Vienna since The Living Daylights, didn't you know?

Watched the PBS program of ferrets again: http://www.ferret.org/news/07-may-pbs.html

Dog shows seem to occupy the same rarefied air as horse racing among many. Cat shows actually a bit less so. The folks here looked to me to be folks who might have had a bad time of it. The lady with the charming rhymes looked to have had a light stroke...I thought I could see a hint of Bell's palsy. But there I go making everything out to be a funeral again.

Been watching: Revenge, Covert Affairs, MI-5, Hawaii Five-O, Person of Interest, NCIS, NCIS L.A..

Last night, I caught part one of the Labyrinth mini-series. It's set in present day France and in 1209 during the Cathars Crusade. It flicks between the two times, in the past the crusade is heading towards the Cathars, a few guard books that explain "true nature of the Holy Grail". In the present day, a cave was found in the Carcassonne region, containing two skeletons, a ring and a leather bag. Different groups want the books. I'm assuming one group are descendants of the "protectors", the other want to gain some power. Not bad, entertaining enough. I have to wait until Friday for part two to air. It's based on some novel by Kate Mosse. Thanks to a couple of scenes, I now have the song "Ca Plane Pour Moi" by Plastic Bertrand stuck in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
    Last night, I caught part one of the Labyrinth mini-series. It's set in present day France and in 1209 during the Cathars Crusade. It flicks between the two times, in the past the crusade is heading towards the Cathars, a few guard books that explain "true nature of the Holy Grail". In the present day, a cave was found in the Carcassonne region, containing two skeletons, a ring and a leather bag. Different groups want the books. I'm assuming one group are descendants of the "protectors", the other want to gain some power. Not bad, entertaining enough. I have to wait until Friday for part two to air. It's based on some novel by Kate Mosse.
    I bought Labyrinth in hardback, and then Sepulchre, because Kate Mosse (not to be confused with the model Kate Moss) is a local author, the covers looked gorgeous, and a friend of mine recommended her. Then I finally got around to trying to read the first one. What an incredible load of blah! I was losing the will to live, and I wasn't even 100 pages in, and the book was massive. So I gave up and gave both books to charity. I then read some reviews on Amazon and saw that a large number of readers wished they'd given up early.

Maybe it works on TV though. I'll look out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
    Thanks to a couple of scenes, I now have the song "Ca Plane Pour Moi" by Plastic Bertrand stuck in my head.
    That's what I call a favourable result!

Oranges and Sunshine, a fascinating but depressing film about "migrant children," children deported to Australia to give them a "new life." Which, it turns out, often involved a life of neglect, hard labour, abuse, and even rape.

"You can't erase icing."

Polar Express with my kids. Even a cartoon Tom Hanks is good.
    Solfe

Graham watched that yesterday. I went and took a bath instead.

"You can't erase icing."

Yesterday, there was a "How to Train Your Dragon" marathon. It was really cute, my kids and my niece and nephew loved it.
    Solfe

I rewatched my "Disney Holiday Classics" disc ("The Small One," "Pluto's Christmas Tree," and "Mickey's Christmas Carol"). I felt too tired to watch the Claymation Christmas special, so I'll probably do that today.

"You can't erase icing."

Dr. Who marathon, BBC America.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright