Page 26 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Watching season 3 of The Legend of Korra.

Bob's Burgers
    How is that korra show? I've seen a couple episodes of the first one, the one with the bald kid and it was okay, plus I see images of it quite frequently.

---

Journey to the West is one of the better movies I've seen, it's on netflix... other movies like that, that I enjoyed as well were 'Kung Fu Hustle', 'Shaolin Soccer', 'The Good, the Bad, and the Weird' (I'm blanking right now, and I'll post some others later.
    "The only one who knows this ounce of words is just a token, is he who has a tongue to tell that must remain unspoken"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I saw that and disliked it intensely.
    That happens. Anything in particular?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That happens. Anything in particular?

Grant Hutchison
    Just checked out the IMDB entry on the film. Was unaware of it. I have only seen Toby Stevens in a recent TV series about pirates, but like his acting, so I look forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    Just checked out the IMDB entry on the film. Was unaware of it. I have only seen Toby Stevens in a recent TV series about pirates, but like his acting, so I look forward to it.
    Toby Stevens's portrayal of the damaged protagonist is often a thing that people particularly dislike about the movie. He spends most of the time being either annoyingly flat, annoyingly smug, or annoyingly blissed out. A protagonist who is not intuitively and immediately likeable sits uneasily with a lot of viewers. It's nevertheless what the movie is about.

Grant Hutchison

Honestly, the fact that they're presenting those pictures as real bothered me quite a lot. They weren't merely fakes. They were obvious, easy-to-make fakes. I find it depressing that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was so completely taken in by them.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Honestly, the fact that they're presenting those pictures as real bothered me quite a lot. They weren't merely fakes. They were obvious, easy-to-make fakes. I find it depressing that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was so completely taken in by them.
    I think you're thinking of Fairy Tale: A True Story.
    At the start of Photographing Fairies, Toby Stevens's character, Charles Castle, turns up at a Theosophist meeting specifically to debunk the Cottingley pictures. The movie is then rather kind to Conan Doyle, who is depicted as immediately rising from the audience to state that he has been convinced the Cottingley photos are faked, while still retaining a belief in fairies. Later, there's a nice reversal, in which an excited Castle turn up at Conan Doyle's home with his own fairy photos, only to have them poo-pooed by Conan Doyle because there is so much motion blur no detail can be made out.

Grant Hutchison

Ah. Okay. I'll admit, I saw the word "fairy" in the title and saw Conan Doyle in the credits, and thought, "Oh, that one." Especially because Graham loves that other one, and it's dreadful. I'll take a look and see if Netflix has the other so I can have an educated opinion on it.

I was thinking, though, that it might be interesting to do a story about the relationship between Conan Doyle and Houdini. They were friends until Houdini tried to prevent Conan Doyle from falling for every psychic who claimed the ability to put him in touch with his son. Just the despair that a man trying to show his friend the science felt when his friend believed comforting lies instead.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Ah. Okay. I'll admit, I saw the word "fairy" in the title and saw Conan Doyle in the credits, and thought, "Oh, that one."
    They were both released in the same year (1997), and I think Photographing Fairies suffered because of that. The rather quiet UK release of PF was the week after Fairy Tale had premiered in Toronto, so many people here were confused about what was on offer. It then trailed into the USA in 1998, some time after Fairy Tale had been and gone, and people had already formed strong opinions about whether they were going to like a movie above fairies.
    In fact, Photographing Fairies is layered and ambiguous, and the fairies are really a vehicle for a discussion of the nature of bereavement and religious faith. But I know many people looked at the title and thought it was going to be just another CGI outing for Arthur Rackman.

I was thinking, though, that it might be interesting to do a story about the relationship between Conan Doyle and Houdini. They were friends until Houdini tried to prevent Conan Doyle from falling for every psychic who claimed the ability to put him in touch with his son. Just the despair that a man trying to show his friend the science felt when his friend believed comforting lies instead.
    You may well know that there's a non-fiction book by Christopher Sandford about that relationship. In the UK it's called "Houdini and Conan Doyle", but in the USA it was released as "Masters of Mystery". (I don't know what that's telling us, but it's a very good example of whatever it's telling us.)

Grant Hutchison

Watching various random 'Classic' Dr Who adventures on the UK Horror Channel.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Couple of episodes into Fargo.

We watched the 9th Doctor 2-parter "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances" last night. I think it's one of my favorites, marking the first appearance of Captain Jack Harkness, some genuine creepyness ("Are you my mummy?"), and and an uplifting ending. "Just this once,everybody lives!" Which is indeed rather unusual for the Doctor.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We watched the 9th Doctor 2-parter "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances" last night. I think it's one of my favorites, marking the first appearance of Captain Jack Harkness, some genuine creepyness ("Are you my mummy?"), and and an uplifting ending. "Just this once,everybody lives!" Which is indeed rather unusual for the Doctor.
    The first of the Steve Moffat stories. Head, shoulders and thorax above the surrounding RTD stories.

As I think I've said here before, Moffat wrote some of the very best Who. He just isn't quite as good as the producer.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    The first of the Steve Moffat stories. Head, shoulders and thorax above the surrounding RTD stories.
    Blimey! Something we agree on!
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Blimey! Something we agree on!
    Well it's not the first time! Though it probably is the second time...

Quote Originally Posted by Mareykan View Post
    How is that korra show? I've seen a couple episodes of the first one, the one with the bald kid and it was okay, plus I see images of it quite frequently.
    It's quite good, much better, IMO, than the one with the bald kid. Better writing, better characters, better action, better everything. The main characters are college age, hold down jobs (one is a cop), and it generally makes a lot more sense than a band of kids wandering around unsupervised with the fate of the world resting on them.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    It's quite good, much better, IMO, than the one with the bald kid. Better writing, better characters, better action, better everything. The main characters are college age, hold down jobs (one is a cop), and it generally makes a lot more sense than a band of kids wandering around unsupervised with the fate of the world resting on them.
    Just did a bit of looking into it, didn't the new season get pulled of the air and go to online only or something?
    "The only one who knows this ounce of words is just a token, is he who has a tongue to tell that must remain unspoken"

Still working on Doctor Who. Eccleston has now regenerated into Tennant. I really, really, like David Tennant; but I still think it's a shame the ninth Doctor was only with us for one series. And that he wasn't in the 50th anniversary special.

Finished the Fargo series. Wow, that is not how I thought it would play out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mareykan View Post
    Just did a bit of looking into it, didn't the new season get pulled of the air and go to online only or something?
    Looks like it. Sucks for those people--like me--that don't get their internet through a cable.

A couple of nights ago we watched the first few episodes of The Musketeers on BBC America. I was interested because I really liked the 1973/1974 movies and because Richelieu is played by Peter Capaldi, soon to make his debut as the Twelfth Doctor. I was a bit underwhelmed. It's too dark, lighting-wise, and I have trouble telling some of the actors apart, particularly Athos and Aramis. They also made repeated references to musketeer uniforms in the first episode but didn't seem to be wearing one.

Then there are the guns, which can be pulled out of a pocket and fired reliably every time, in the age of matchlocks. They actually depicted glowing matches in the first episode, but then sort of forgot about them. There may have been some flintlocks in the era (1625 or so) but they'd have been rare.

Anyone else been watching this?

I suffered through it, it gets worse. The guns become self-loading, everyone in France knows one another, except in Paris where no-one knows anyone, the plot twists are telegraphed weeks in advance, etc.

It is jolly nonsense in the style of the BBC's Robin Hood and Merlin, but more disjointed and rushed.

There is the odd good episode and good one-liner but it isn't that good a series.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    It is jolly nonsense in the style of the BBC's Robin Hood and Merlin, but more disjointed and rushed.
    BTW, I sheepishly confess that as ridiculous as it was, I watched all the episodes of Merlin. And I enjoyed them, as far as light TV goes.

Oh we watched them all, that and Robin Hood, which is why we were disappointed by The Musketeers.

Unmitigated Tosh!
    All Moderation in Purple

I'm not sure which one you mean, but that is an accurate description of them all.

Sorry, Robin Hood and the Musketeers. Not watched any of the Merlin so can't pass judgement.
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Still working on Doctor Who. Eccleston has now regenerated into Tennant. I really, really, like David Tennant; but I still think it's a shame the ninth Doctor was only with us for one series. And that he wasn't in the 50th anniversary special.
    Unfortunately, Eccleston really only wanted to do the one series and wasn't interested in coming back. He's still my favorite of the new series Doctors.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Unfortunately, Eccleston really only wanted to do the one series and wasn't interested in coming back. He's still my favorite of the new series Doctors.
    And he'd only signed a one-year contract because they weren't sure anyone would watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    BTW, I sheepishly confess that as ridiculous as it was, I watched all the episodes of Merlin. And I enjoyed them, as far as light TV goes.
    Sometimes light can be good, I liked Merlin, I even got sad when Arthur was finally killed.