Page 24 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    I tried Game of Thrones when it was first shown in the UK but couldn't get past the first couple of episodes.
    That's probably the best recommendation I've seen to date.

Finally getting around to Amour, which I've had from Netflix for well over a month now. It's the wrong weather to watch it, but if I wait for it to be cool enough to enjoy subtitled movies again, I'll have it until fall.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The Perry Mason I'm watching seems to have his stupidest, most gullible client yet.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Classic B&W Perry Mason, or the newer made-for-TV-movie version? Or the one in the middle where he was in a wheelchair? Oh wait, that was something else.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

That was Ironside. But no, I am watching the classic. He has a client who's just constantly trusting people whom she has no reason to trust even after she becomes a murder suspect.

"You can't erase icing."

A bunch of episodes of QI, with lots of obscure facts like;

Acoustic Kitty

Next time your cat sidles up to you for an afternoon nap, it may actually be trying to steal your secrets - that is at least what the CIA in the 1960s was hoping felines would do after being turned into four-legged spies.

As part of a clandestine experiment appropriately dubbed Operation Acoustic Kitty, a veterinary surgeon implanted a microchip in the ear canal of a cat and a small radio transmitter at the base of the animal's skull, hiding a wire antenna in his long grey-and-white hair.
    But the ill-fated feline immediately failed the test by running into the street, where it was promptly run over by a cab.

This bit from QI reminds me of a Dr. Who episode about people in New York who get stuck for years in a traffic jam.

China National Highway 110 traffic jam

The China National Highway 110 Traffic Jam was a recurring[1] massive traffic jam that began to form on August 14, 2010, mostly on China National Highway 110 (G110) and Beijing–Tibet expressway (G6), in Hebei and Inner Mongolia.[2][3] The traffic jam slowed down thousands of vehicles for more than 100 kilometres (60 mi) and lasted for more than ten days.[3][4][5] Many drivers were able to move their vehicles only 1 km (0.6 mi) per day, and some drivers reported being stuck in the traffic jam for five days.[5] It is considered to be one of the longest traffic jams by some media.

Today I watched The Iron Giant with my nephew, he had never seen it before.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

British Grand Prix
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    A bunch of episodes of QI . . . .
    We are rewatching QI, never mind how (the BBC has declined to make it legal for me to do so), an episode or two at night after Simon has gone to bed.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    We are rewatching QI, never mind how (the BBC has declined to make it legal for me to do so), an episode or two at night after Simon has gone to bed.
    I'm watching in online on Youtube.

Alan Davies finally won one episode of QI, Jam, Jelly and Juice.

I like QI. Especially when someone comes up with a hilariously stupid and obviously fabricated answer and somehow manages to get it exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    Alan Davies finally won one episode of QI, Jam, Jelly and Juice.
    He's actually won a handful of times. Usually because he keeps his mouth shut when there's a really obviously wrong answer.

"You can't erase icing."

Various performances from this years glastonbury festival including Jack White, Metallica, Jake Bugg, Arcade Fire.

Plus Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott
    All Moderation in Purple

Just home from the live Rifftrax of Sharknado. That certainly was a motion picture.

"You can't erase icing."

Sharknado was just on the UK 'Horror' Channel tonight as it happens.
    All Moderation in Purple

I can't imagine watching it unriffed. And as I told the friend from college with whom I go to these, it actually manages to be worse if you know LA at all well. Or, naturally, know anything about meteorology. They stop the "Sharknado" using bombs made out of propane tanks. Not the sharks--they actually disrupt the tornado.

"You can't erase icing."

Watched Diary of the Dead yesterday, Romero's reboot of the original zombie franchise.

This film appears to demonstrate that there's nothing new to do with zombies. Yes, there's a couple of suspenseful bits, and one likable character (a deaf Amish) whose presence is all too short, but generally it's the same old thing.

But the absolute worst thing about the film is that there is no social commentary in it. Nothing wrong with that, except that Romero thinks there is. There are various cack-handed, shoehorned-in mentions of manipulating the media, black people not having power, rednecks being bad just for the sake of it, but it's all so unsubtle it makes the film look even less intelligent.

Season two of Doc Martin, which has brought a question to our minds: Who is feeding that dog?

'A Hard Days Night' the first Beatles Movie.

Filmed as a 'Fly on the Wall' documentary. It's very good.
    All Moderation in Purple

This episode of QI on hoaxes including that some people believe the Moon landings were faked which apparently includes about 25% of Britons.

Started binge watching the TV series Fargo last night. Since I hadn't seen the Coen movie and didn't know the "this is a true story" line is only a ploy, boy did I get taken in until I wikied this morning. I haven't enjoyed an intriguing anti-hero as much since Breaking Bad ended, or before that, from the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series of novels (more reluctant than evil in this case).

For US folks - I noticed how they play up the Swedish-derived accent in that area of the country. Though I always knew of historical immigration from Scandinavia to the Great Lakes region, I didn't expect that to be the case. Is English as inflected and so on as they depict in the series in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    For US folks - I noticed how they play up the Swedish-derived accent in that area of the country. Though I always knew of historical immigration from Scandinavia to the Great Lakes region, I didn't expect that to be the case. Is English as inflected and so on as they depict in the series in that area?
    I think it's highly exaggerated. I certainly don't recall noticing anything of the sort when we were on a genealogy tour of the area.

A classmate from college once declared, in a perfect Fargo accent, "Oh, we don't talk like that!" during a discussion of the movie.

"You can't erase icing."

Still enjoying Doc Martin. Got to episode 1 of series 3 last night. A bit of an ethical problem with that one: Louisa faints, Doc wants to see her but asks embarrassing questions (Heavy periods? Are you pregnant?) and she decides to go elsewhere for her medical care. At the end, she decides she wants to keep him as her doctor. Problem: Doctors having romantic relationships with patients is as unethical as it comes.

I also decided to visit Port Isaac, Cornwall on Google Earth. It's the setting for the fictional Portwenn. Rather interesting. The biggest difference is the hordes of tourists in the real village. Probably due to the TV show, of course. Also, Louisa's school is now "The Old School" hotel, bar, and grill. But the roads are just as narrow as they look on TV!

Just posting to add I'd only seen three episodes of Fargo when I used the term "anti-hero." Saw the rest yesterday. "Totally evil bad guys" is more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    I haven't watched the series, but I did see the movie and I do live in the general area. If the series generally follows the movie's lead in terms of the accent, I'd say it's generally accurate but greatly exaggerated (one of my favorite scenes in the movie was when the sheriff had lunch with a former classmate, who was Asian but spoke with that same Nordic accent).

It really should be more Norwegian than Swedish, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Still enjoying Doc Martin. Got to episode 1 of series 3 last night. A bit of an ethical problem with that one: Louisa faints, Doc wants to see her but asks embarrassing questions (Heavy periods? Are you pregnant?) and she decides to go elsewhere for her medical care. At the end, she decides she wants to keep him as her doctor. Problem: Doctors having romantic relationships with patients is as unethical as it comes.

I also decided to visit Port Isaac, Cornwall on Google Earth. It's the setting for the fictional Portwenn. Rather interesting. The biggest difference is the hordes of tourists in the real village. Probably due to the TV show, of course. Also, Louisa's school is now "The Old School" hotel, bar, and grill. But the roads are just as narrow as they look on TV!

Those tourists were there before the show. There are just a few more now. All those little schools closed years ago.

Near us is the village of Goathland. It was used as 'Aidensfield' in the 60s-set Police show 'Heartbeat'
    It was already popular with tourists as it is in the middle of the Moors, on the NYMR Steam Railway and close to Whitby.
    There are more tourists now but the main difference is all the shops, the Pub and the Garage keep their 'Aidensfild' signs up instead of their real names. So the pub is the 'Aidensfield Arms' and the garage (which now just sells tourist junk instead of repairing cars is 'Aidensfield Garage and Scripps Funeral Services'
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Those tourists were there before the show. There are just a few more now.
    Of course. You do see quite a few of them in the show. I wonder if they were extras brought in for the occasion or just happened to be there and signed a form. I expect there quite a few locals with cameo appearances, as well.

On an unrelated topic, during yesterday's World Cup final on ABC, they were promoting a new show called "Selfie". Starring Karen Gillan. It took us a moment but then my wife and I both simultaneously exclaimed "Amy Pond!" The show sounds awful, but I suppose we'll have to watch an episode or two because of her.