Page 13 of 112 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    A collection of old Peanuts TV specials from the '70s. In this one, everyone's mad at Charlie Brown for losing the homecoming game (which seems awfully collegiate for a bunch of elementary school kids) despite the fact that he only screwed up the kicks because Lucy pulled the football away. Why aren't they mad at Lucy? This is the problem I have with a lot of Peanuts stuff. The people around Charlie Brown are ridiculously cruel, and I can't laugh about it.
    I not a big fan of Schadenfreude based humor either.

I mostly like the Halloween special, for example, but what is with the adults in his neighbourhood? He and the others go trick-or-treating. The others get lots of goodies. (Except Linus and Sally, who are out in the pumpkin patch, waiting for the Great Pumpkin.) Everyone in the neighbourhood had a rock to give to Charlie Brown. I mean, think about that!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I mostly like the Halloween special, for example, but what is with the adults in his neighbourhood? He and the others go trick-or-treating. The others get lots of goodies. (Except Linus and Sally, who are out in the pumpkin patch, waiting for the Great Pumpkin.) Everyone in the neighbourhood had a rock to give to Charlie Brown. I mean, think about that!
    I stopped watching and reading Charlie Brown in my teens as it tended to make my depression issues worse.

The Avengers again a couple of times, it's going to be one of those movies where I can watch it over and over and get something new every time.

Parts 3 and 4 of Father & Son.

Rewatching TNG on Netflix. I'd almost forgotten that, during the first season, they actually put male characters in those ridiculous minidress uniforms. Then they realized that it was a bad idea no matter who was wearing it and stuck everyone in pants.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Rewatching TNG on Netflix. I'd almost forgotten that, during the first season, they actually put male characters in those ridiculous minidress uniforms. Then they realized that it was a bad idea no matter who was wearing it and stuck everyone in pants.
    Some things are better forgotten.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

The extra in the background looked extremely embarrassed.

"You can't erase icing."

Rewatching TNG on Netflix. I'd almost forgotten that, during the first season, they actually put male characters in those ridiculous minidress uniforms.
    They probably wanted something blatent to enforce the "gender doesn't matter" idea. (probably the same in the ST-TMP)
    Unfortunately (for them) they put Troi in one of those which had the opposite effect.

Then they realized that it was a bad idea no matter who was wearing it and stuck everyone in pants.
    Almost. Remember Worf complaining about the dress uniforms actually being dresses? At least they put leggings on with those.

I have no sympathy for Worf on that one. They're tunics, which have a long history separate from dresses, though their origins are the same.

"You can't erase icing."

I have no sympathy for Worf on that one. They're tunics, which have a long history separate from dresses, though their origins are the same.
    Ok; now I can't get that scene from Night at the Museum 2 out of my head.

It helps not to have seen it.

"You can't erase icing."

Top Gear: Middle East Special: Another foray into exploring the fine line between comedic genius and sheer idiocy with the hosts of the show. This time they're taking secondhand convertibles from eastern Iraq through Turkey, Syria and Jordan to finally arrive in Bethlehem. I probably shouldn't like this show as much as I do but I'm chalking it up to possibly being from Sheffield in an earlier life. Both Jeremy Clarkson and James May are from there as is my favorite Python Michael Palin.

Star Trek Original Series: Season Two

Hey, that's where I'm at too... just finished The Gamesters of Triskelion.

We've started on season two of TNG, notable for the introduction of Dr. Pulaski, Wesley's new uniform, and Riker's beard. I really like how he looks much better with the beard.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Hey, that's where I'm at too... just finished The Gamesters of Triskelion.
    I didn't get all the way through, there's always holds on the series through the library, I should buy my own but they're some of the most expensive DVDs on the market.

I just finished all of TNG and was getting into TOS, I've never watched it all the way through in sequence. The special effects aren't as sophisticated as later series and movies, but the feel is hard to describe. I can see why it inspired the same kind of fan support as Firefly did almost 40 years later. Amok Time is my favorite episode of the season so far, which was written by Theodore Sturgeon.
    Last edited by starcanuck64; 2013-Jun-05 at 09:10 PM.

Watched the movie "Waking Life" today--after having woken up from a deep sleep following some work induced sleep deprivation.

Dragonslayer: I hadn't seen this movie since it was on HBO in the early 1980s. Peter MacNicol is perfect as the bumbling sorcerers apprentice. Very well cast, written and directed film I thought, Ralph Richardson is also great as the sorcerer.

A Bit of Fry and Laurie.

"You can't erase icing."

Killing Lincoln on the NatGeo channel. Tom Hanks does a pretty good narration.

If that's the one I'm thinking of, I'm given to understand that the history is a bit dodgy. I don't remember details, though.

"You can't erase icing."

A Bit of Fry and Laurie.
    I'm watching a lot of Fry with no Laurie now, Stephen Fry in America: He visits all 50 states, so far to the end of Episode Two in his London cab.

I'm looking forward to that but not letting myself skip ahead, tempting though it may be.

"You can't erase icing."

Nixon. My, but I wish Oliver Stone were as good a director as he thinks he is.

"You can't erase icing."

Phoebe in Wonderland. I hate when we're supposed to think that the people making the child's whimsy into a medical problem are wrong and evil when it's obvious that the child has medical problems. This is, among other things, a little girl who "has to wash [her] hands a certain number of times." Her hands are shown to be bloody. And we're supposed to disapprove of the fact that her parents have put her into therapy?

"You can't erase icing."

Saw Les Revenants (The Returned) from last week this morning. It's a French people-back-from-the-dead miniseries that isn't at all like The Walking Dead. I really love it when I don't know the formula and so I can't predict how things are going to pan out. Part 2 is about to start...

Nixon. My, but I wish Oliver Stone were as good a director as he thinks he is.
    Depends on his material. I'd put Any Given Sunday up against Brian's Song (the James Caan-Billy Dee Williams version) as the best football movie ever, on top of just being an incredible movie despite the sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
    Depends on his material. I'd put Any Given Sunday up against Brian's Song (the James Caan-Billy Dee Williams version) as the best football movie ever, on top of just being an incredible movie despite the sports.
    I haven't seen it. I don't watch a lot of sports movies. However, if you think it's worth watching even if football bores you, let me know and I'll check it out (eventually).

We're on season four of Jonathan Creek. Alas, the DVDs don't appear to have any of the movies. I'm not sure they're even available on Region 1 DVD.

"You can't erase icing."

I haven't seen it. I don't watch a lot of sports movies. However, if you think it's worth watching even if football bores you, let me know and I'll check it out (eventually).

We're on season four of Jonathan Creek. Alas, the DVDs don't appear to have any of the movies. I'm not sure they're even available on Region 1 DVD.
    It doesn't obsess a great deal on the games themselves, but the politicking and jockeying that goes on behind the scenes, from the locker room to the owner's suite, plus some pretty amazing insights into the minds of the players, coaches, doctors and owners. Stone didn't leave any stone unturned here (pardon the pun). Several NFL players were actors in this one, which gave their parts a LOT of gravitas, Lawrence Taylor in particular had a scene or two that were pretty powerful. Depending on your appreciation of their respective talents, watching Jamie Foxx and Al Pacino go at it in their one big scene together is worth the price of admission. The acting was pretty solid, the stories (there are enough story threads to weave a hot air balloon...) are well interwoven and cover about every conceivable angle you could imagine about a season in the life of a professional football team. A five minute look through the headlines of a sports page after you watch this one will tell you how well Stone hit his mark.

I think you'd like this one, even if you're not a huge fan of the sport itself.