Page 12 of 119 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching?

Highlights of the Indoor Archery World Championships from last year.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Still more Top Gear, I'm finding it addictive. I'm probably never going to be able to afford the kind of cars they showcase on the series, but the way they are presented is brilliant.

My favorite episode so far is the India Special, where the three hosts pick a car to take on the cross India expedition. Jeremy shows up in a Jaguar XJS, James in a RR Silver Shadow and Richard in a Mini. By the end they've converted them to off-road vehicles to tackle the Himalayan foothills which in the Jag's case involved cutting a hole in the bonnet and adding a straight stack exhaust system to give more ground clearance. Due to the noise Jeremy adds six small mufflers to the stacks limiting his forward visibility and giving the appearance of antlers. I laughed so hard on that one it hurt.

Here's the ad for it, you can see near the end where Jeremy "invents" six-stack cricket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juFm6tLaVsg

And a Mini winching a 2 ton Rolls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caDuxElh2l0
    Last edited by starcanuck64; 2013-May-13 at 08:13 PM.

Watched a few episodes of Justified and discovered that, while I don't mind it, I'm not going to go out of my way to see it. Netflix has also sent me disc one of Jonathan Creek, so we're watching that now.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I liked Jonathan Creek, but I didn't get really enthusiastic about it.

I'll be watching The Cabin in the Woods tonight, and I'm trying not to expect too much. I'm sure it'll be very good but I've watched so much Joss Whedon stuff my expectations are high. I found Doll House a little disappointing.

Have you seen the Top Gear train made from caravan trailers and cars?

Or their Reliant Robin 'Space Shuttle' rocket launch?

Netflix in the UK has most of the Top Gear shows
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Have you seen the Top Gear train made from caravan trailers and cars?

Or their Reliant Robin 'Space Shuttle' rocket launch?

Netflix in the UK has most of the Top Gear shows
    I've seen the train episode which was also very good but not the Robin rocket yet, the library here has most of the seaons so I'll be picking them up as they come available.

It's pretty crazy some of the stuff they do on the show and it's amazing that no one gets killed, although Richard Hammond came very close driving the rocket dragcar. James May held the speed record for a production car briefly when he took a Bugatti to over 260 mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSFX9vrwJf8
    Last edited by starcanuck64; 2013-May-13 at 11:36 PM.

Defiance, a town called eureka and strangely enough American diggers. Defiance is good, Julie Benz has really matured and the combination of aliens races makes for fun viewing. I never caught the second half of season four of eureka or season 5, so I'm now working my way through. Just finished recently watching earth 2 and space above and beyond again. Space above is even better watching now, except for the less than b5 quality graphics, polygons anyone. Though the grey saturation of the video is still atmospheric and very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    I liked Jonathan Creek, but I didn't get really enthusiastic about it.
    I'm enjoying it, but it's more fun if you picture Stephen Fry standing just off camera the whole time, mocking him.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Jonathan Creek goes down hill a bit when Caroline Quentin leaves the show. It still has good plots but it loses some of the chemistry.
    All Moderation in Purple

Watching an episode of Lewis I somehow missed first time round.
    All Moderation in Purple

I was going to watch the Indian classic The Music Room, but the disc was cracked right through.

"You can't erase icing."

Shortly, I'll sit down to watch episodes of "Murder, She Wrote" and "Hawaii Five-O", that I recorded last night. MSW is into the final season. At one episode/week night, the station that has been airing the entire series, will finish the run at the end of this month.

Did anyone find The Cabin in the Woods funny, it's categorized as a comedy/horror film. It was very well done but too bloody to be a comedy by my standards.

I laughed all through Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil but didn't find much to laugh about in The Cabin.

I've been catching up on the old Connections series and its sequels on YouTube. Interesting in both its hindsight and foresight, if a bit Eurocentric in scope. http://www.youtube.com/user/JamesBurkeWeb
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Personal Best. I cannot watch it without thinking about an old Friends episode, and I'm fairly worried about how it's going to end.

"You can't erase icing."

Murder, she wrote is still excellent. I saw the magnum PI crossover episode some months ago.

I found one of those packages in the store with old movies on it "50 sci-fi classics" for less than $10.

Last night: Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
    The Martians kidnap Santa because there is nobody on Mars to give their children presents.
    What do you call something you eat thats soft, round, at the end of a stick, and is green? < a MartianMellow >
    Last edited by NEOWatcher; 2013-May-16 at 12:58 PM.

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    I have that DVD, NEOWatcher! Got to introduce my kids to Gamera.

A Martian Mellow!!

I've only seen Santa Claus Conquers the Martians with puppets in the corner. This is the problem with those box sets of "classics"; they clearly have a definition of the word "classic" only shared by AMC.

"You can't erase icing."

"American Movie Classics" is like "Holy Roman Empire;" lots of the stuff they currently show is deficient in one, two or three of the criteria.

Yes; it amused one of my best friends vastly when they started showing a new British TV show.

"You can't erase icing."

Stargate SG1 Series 6
    All Moderation in Purple

My niece got me Season three of The Wire which is my favorite.

I'm finishing up House of Cards - the earlier BBC version. I think I may like this one better than the recent American remake, although I'll surely watch the next season of that when it's available.

Season two of Remington Steele while I'm letting rolls rise. One episode should be long enough!

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I'm finishing up House of Cards - the earlier BBC version. I think I may like this one better than the recent American remake, although I'll surely watch the next season of that when it's available.
    As I recall, the BBC version is a trilogy - House of Cards, To Play the King, The Final Cut. Be sure to take in the whole thing if you enjoy the first installment!
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Season Four of BBT.

Tim Vine the Jokeamotive DVD

Stand up comedian famed for the number of one liners and jokes he crams in to a show

examples

"I wanted to be a milkman, right - but I didn't have the bottle!!"

"I've played football on a plane you know....there I was, running up the wing!!!"

"Black beauty, now there's a dark horse!!!"

"So I went into this video shop, and the man asked if I'd like to rent Batman Forever - I said 'No...just for 2 hours!!!!!!' "

"This man pushed me into a bag of peanuts, so I told the police - they asked me if I was assaulted - I said 'No - dry roasted!!!' "

"I went to the butchers the other day and the butcher said 'I bet you 5 you can't guess the weight of that meat on the top shelf'. ' I'm not gambling!' I said, 'The steaks are too high!!!!!!'

"I threw some snow at my girlfriend. She didn't catch my drift."

"I was taking the motorway out of London. A policeman pulled me over and said: 'Put it back'

"I've got a friend who's fallen in love with two schoolbags - he's bisatchel!!!!

"I've got a sponge door....don't knock it."

"So I took my dog for a walk and it was really angry - well it would be it's a cross breed!!"

"I tell you what is close to my heart at the moment. My left lung."

"I saw a bargain the other day, a TV set for 1. Only problem was the volume control which was stuck on full. Come on, how can you turn that down?"

"So I went to Buckingham Palace to cut Prince William's hair. I said to the policeman, 'Can you let me in to the car park, I'm here to cut Prince William's hair?' The policeman said 'Have you got a permit?' - I said, 'No, just a bit off the back!!!!' "

"And the back of his anorak was leaping up and down, and people were chucking money to him. I said 'Do you earn a living doing that?' He said 'Yes, this is my livelihood.'

"So I was getting into my car, and this bloke says to me "Can you give me a lift?" I said "Sure, you look great, the world's your oyster, go for it.'"

"You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen, it said 'Parking Fine.' So that was nice."

So I went to the dentist. He said "Say Aaah." I said "Why?" He said "My dog's died.'"
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    As I recall, the BBC version is a trilogy - House of Cards, To Play the King, The Final Cut. Be sure to take in the whole thing if you enjoy the first installment!
    Yes, I did. Great ending, I thought.

And "You may very well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment." is now part of my lexicon.
    Last edited by geonuc; 2013-May-24 at 08:44 AM.

A collection of old Peanuts TV specials from the '70s. In this one, everyone's mad at Charlie Brown for losing the homecoming game (which seems awfully collegiate for a bunch of elementary school kids) despite the fact that he only screwed up the kicks because Lucy pulled the football away. Why aren't they mad at Lucy? This is the problem I have with a lot of Peanuts stuff. The people around Charlie Brown are ridiculously cruel, and I can't laugh about it.

"You can't erase icing."