Page 116 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,480 of 3985

Thread: What are you watching?

I am still watching - and enjoying more and more - Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist. Last night's episode included an interoffice "rumble" to "The Boy Is Mine" that was Step Up meets West Side Story and a somber, bittersweet "Perfect."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I watched that last night as well. I was a bit put off that right at the beginning they just HAD to show animated star fields, but it got better. Story Musgrave's "Hi Sweety! Love You!" was great.

In the "not watching" department, on Saturday my wife found a stage production of "Phantom of the Opera" from the Albert Hall on YouTube, on the cable box. She wanted me to come in and watch it with her, but I was "busy". So then we tried to find it yesterday and couldn't. Last night I found I can get it from Amazon Prime so today I'll haul the laptop into the bedroom, hook it up to the TV, and we can watch it. I also found our DVD of the movie from a few years ago.
    Since then, I did as suggested above and watched that 2011 Phantom production. Very good indeed! The YouTube implementation on the TIVO box is pretty much awful. Hooking up the computer was fine. I don't think it was free any more, but we can probably afford the four bucks.

When I turned on the other TV this evening, it was still tuned to the Discovery Channel (or was it the Science Channel?) and "How the Universe Works" was on. And still is. Phil Plait, The Bad Astronomer is on it, remember him? But better than that is that the voice-over announcer is Mike Rowe. He's REALLY good at that.

Oh, and tonight I get to watch Antiques Roadshow, both UK and US, again. Sorry Grant, but I still like Fiona!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My plan for today is to hook up the Blu-Ray player, which I'd needed a solid surface for (and also I hadn't been able to find the power cord when I was setting up the TV), and watch things I enjoy while the kids play in other rooms.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Sorry Grant, but I still like Fiona!
    No need to apologize. [Pause, drop voice an octave, shake head with a subtly ironic smile.] People do like Fiona Bruce. [Incredulous question-mark only half-heard at end of sentence.]

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    No need to apologize. [Pause, drop voice an octave, shake head with a subtly ironic smile.] People do like Fiona Bruce. [Incredulous question-mark only half-heard at end of sentence.]

Grant Hutchison
    We listened to her talking about Leonardo, and impressed that she dropped into Italian to talk to a conservator, and then into French near the Mona. That was last evening actually.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I'm watching Coupling. It's not a great show in some ways, and bits of it have aged poorly, but the point is that it's something I don't want my kids watching just yet, and I can watch it because I am in a room with no children.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    We listened to her talking about Leonardo, and impressed that she dropped into Italian to talk to a conservator, and then into French near the Mona. That was last evening actually.
    She does, of course, have a degree in Modern Languages from Oxford, where she studied French and Italian.

Grant Hutchison

I've been watching PBS's 1999 documentary about the influenza pandemic of 1918. Probably you need to be in the right mood, but I found it a useful perspective on the Current Unpleasantness.
    Also, it was interesting to hear that someone was actually shot in the street in 1918, because he was refusing to wear a cloth mask at a time when US citizens were being urged to do so.

Grant Hutchiston

Right now watching a memorial show for the victims of a shooting, since people can't do this in person it os being done on several networks.
    https://youtu.be/lwVIvKFYmCQ
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Locke & Key, on Netflix, is proving to be strangely interesting, for all its plot holes and/or unexplained threads. Were' half way through the 1st (and current) season. It was approved for a second.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Oh, also we watched Frozen II. A bit darker and mature (oh, that opening song, ouch), but I enjoyed it. Although, much like the first movie it's as much an Anna story, but Elsa gets the mechandizing.

Is it long enough to not worry about spoilers?

Olaf's "death scene" about killed me! And I still don't really get the denoument of Elsa's power and the elements. Was there a temporal loop? How was she calling to herself all that time, and through time? It was a really old legend.

CJSF
    P.S.
    I did think the last minute "saving" of Arendelle was a bit of a cop-out, but there you have it.
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

I've been watching Alex Garland's miniseries, Devs. I've always found Garland interesting but a little bit annoying, and this one was no different for me. A meditation on determinism, quantum mechanics, self-obsessed tech billionaires, and grief. Strong cast, nicely understated performances. Nick Offerman in a serious role was a revelation to me.
    I'm a little bemused by the decision to cast a 22-year-old woman (Cailee Spaeney) to play a 19-year-old man. Through the early part of the series I was thinking, "This twelve-year-old boy's doing some good acting, here," (Spaeney is 1.5m tall) until a few episodes in it turns out "he" is supposed to be 19. I'm sure this sort of gender-fluid casting will become more common, and rightly so, but it created an awkward clunk in the narrative to have a key character who appeared to be prepubertal (creating a whole lot of story expectations about how he came to be working on a secret project for a tech company) suddenly declared to be an adult in passing conversation. For me, one of those "missing top step" moments that takes your attention off the plot.

Grant Hutchison

I've been watching Alex Garland's miniseries, Devs. I've always found Garland interesting but a little bit annoying, and this one was no different for me. A meditation on determinism, quantum mechanics, self-obsessed tech billionaires, and grief. Strong cast, nicely understated performances. Nick Offerman in a serious role was a revelation to me.
    Ah, you warched too. I mentioned it in a couple of earlier posts it thread. I liked the feel of the show, with the way the music provided atmosphere (but with significant periods with no music), the setting, suspense and unfolding mystery about where the story was heading. For me, it fell down a little as it approached the end, but I liked it overall.

I'm a little bemused by the decision to cast a 22-year-old woman (Cailee Spaeney) to play a 19-year-old man. Through the early part of the series I was thinking, "This twelve-year-old boy's doing some good acting, here," (Spaeney is 1.5m tall) until a few episodes in it turns out "he" is supposed to be 19. I'm sure this sort of gender-fluid casting will become more common, and rightly so, but it created an awkward clunk in the narrative to have a key character who appeared to be prepubertal (creating a whole lot of story expectations about how he came to be working on a secret project for a tech company) suddenly declared to be an adult in passing conversation. For me, one of those "missing top step" moments that takes your attention off the plot.
    I noticed the “he” as well, since it had seemed clear to me this was a young actress wearing short hair (the main character looked a bit androgynous as well) but decided she was meant to be playing a transman, without it being explicitly stated. The apparent young age was harder for me to accept in the “why is a kid working on this big project?” sense.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I noticed the “he” as well, since it had seemed clear to me this was a young actress wearing short hair (the main character looked a bit androgynous as well) but decided she was meant to be playing a transman, without it being explicitly stated. The apparent young age was harder for me to accept in the “why is a kid working on this big project?” sense.
    I think Spaeney's height threw me off--she made an excellent prepubertal male. And I was quite happy for a precocious kid to somehow be involved in the coding project, anticipating an interesting back story to that.

In interviews Garland and Spaeney are both very clear that she was portraying a male, rather a gender-fluid or trans individual. Garland wanted the character to look very young, but did not want to cast a child actor.
    https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...interview-devs
    "It's not a trans character, and it never was, and I never toyed with the idea of it being a trans character," he says, noting that he simply decided to cast a young woman to play a cisgendered boy. "In some respects, it's as simple as that. Now, of course I'm aware that there are broader debates about this kind of thing, but the existence of a debate doesn't mean I have to participate in the debate."
    Grant Hutchison

Right now wondering to which to watch Space Cowboys, Hoy grail, or serenity.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Locke & Key, on Netflix, is proving to be strangely interesting, for all its plot holes and/or unexplained threads. Were' half way through the 1st (and current) season. It was approved for a second.

CJSF
    Yep, I have one episode of that to go, making myself ration it.

Currently also into Daybreak (and really enjoying it). Graphic novels seem to be good fodder for Netflix.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Saw recently the new Michael Moore film, released on You Tube because of the pandemic, Planet of the Humans. It needed saying, as usual he punctures hypocrisy and this time he points up the sleepwalking human condition of over population, like Lemmings. I should add that he, Moore , is the producer this time.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

They've been having weekly presentations of Andrew Lloyd-Webber musicals on YouTube. Since we watched The Phantom of the Opera last week, last night we watched the far less successful sequel, Love Never Dies. It was better than I expected, but I could see why it was less successful.

Having Irene watch Sesame Street, because it's certainly better than the other options she likes to watch. Both in entertainment value and educational value!

"You can't erase icing."

We somehow had been convinced (being the Anglophiles we are) that Acorn TV was a worthy subscription service. After 2 months and only using it to watch the sadly underwhelming Miss Fisher movie (which is Australian!), we've swapped for Hulu. Imagine my disappointment that there isn't a new season of The Orville up (yet)? Did they not renew for a Season 3, moved to Hulu for no good reason??

We're also rewatching Moone Boy with The IT Crowd alum Chris O'Dowd and watching Travel Man starting with series 1, fronted by Richard Ayoade. Graham Linehan may be TERF-allied bonkers, but O'Dowd and Ayoade became faves, and I'd like them to so remain. Luckily we haven't seen (nor looked for) any ridiculousness on their parts. For other cast members: Katherine Parkinson I've only seen in her brief stint on Doc Martin. We may see what else she's been in. I was NOT impressed by Matt Berry in Toast of London.

Back to my original point: I think we'll find more to watch on Hulu, even as self/other-professed Anglophiles, than on Acorn TV.

CJSF
    P.S.
    Don't get me started about BritBox [thumbs down]
    Last edited by CJSF; 2020-Apr-27 at 08:26 AM. Reason: so much bad formatting. so much
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Katherine Parkinson I've only seen in her brief stint on Doc Martin. We may see what else she's been in.
    She's very funny (though quite sweary) in Defending The Guilty. Also excellent in a serious role in Humans.

Grant Hutchison

My daughter has been binge-watching Friends, which was first on when she was five. Since she is staying with us for the duration, I've been watching it too. I was amused to see the episode where they visit the home of a billionaire software developer, who has a voice activated videophone. This takes the form of a television built into the wall. (No visible camera, but hey).

In the plague year 2020, my daughter has her own voice-activated videophone, and it is portable, to boot. Some things have changed a lot.

With the extra time at home I have been catching up with lots of old movies off the net. I have now started a habit of watching old British Comedy movies about means of transport.

First we watched 'The Fast Lady' - 1962. The lady in question was a 1927 vintage Bentley 4Ĺ Litre Red Label Speed model.

Then there was 'The Iron Maiden' - also 1962. In this case the "maiden" was a traction engine - specifically a steam showman's road locomotive. There were also plenty of shots of a Handley Page Victor Bomber pretending to be a supersonic jetliner.

Off to the Outer Hebrides and the island of Bara. Called Todday for the film. For 'Rockets Galore!' - 1957. A less successful follow-up to the 1949 film 'Whisky Galore!'. There were only a few scenes of a rocket but it still counts.

Today we watched 'Up The Creek' - a 1958 film. This time the means of transport was a mothballed Royal Navy Corvette.

I am now considering the next film. I had thought of 'The Titfield Thunderbolt' from 1953 for a train film but I am trouble getting a free download. Maybe I should try 'The Ghost Train' from 1941. Has anyone any suggestions? A comedy about balloons or motorbikes perhaps?

I suppose you saw Genevieve with the haunting Larry Adler sound track?
    You are in the realm of the Carry On films of course.
    And of course the Norman Wisdom films at that time were popular.
    I will try to remember, without searching, what I saw on the Saturday morning collection from about 1956 to 1958. There was always Laurel and Hardy. When was Hiram’s Holiday? A little later, and not British, at school they ran And God created Woman, 1958, with Bardot. For some reason I remember that.
    sicut vis videre esto

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I suppose you saw Genevieve with the haunting Larry Adler sound track?
    You are in the realm of the Carry On films of course.
    And of course the Norman Wisdom films at that time were popular.
    I will try to remember, without searching, what I saw on the Saturday morning collection from about 1956 to 1958. There was always Laurel and Hardy. When was Hiram’s Holiday? A little later, and not British, at school they ran And God created Woman, 1958, with Bardot. For some reason I remember that.
    I always enjoy watching 'Genevieve' but we have already had a car movie. Norman Wisdom is not really one of my favourites. I would have liked a Bardot movie being shown at school!

I think there was a movie starring George Formby and involving motorcycles but that might also be a bit of a trial.

Watched Strictly Ballroom for the first time in a long time yesterday. Man, I like that movie.

"You can't erase icing."

I got to watch Antiques roadshow again all last evening. The British one started off not only with Fiona, but with vintage trains! Lovely!

I got to watch Antiques roadshow again all last evening. The British one started off not only with Fiona, but with vintage trains! Lovely!
    Do you have access to a series called Walking Britain's Lost Railways, presented by a guy called Rob Bell? His background is in engineering, he's very enthusiastic and knowledgeable, and he keeps meeting up with rail enthusiasts who have restored old trains and railway infrastructure. It's a good watch, if you're into that sort of thing. (Bell has also done various other series, about bridges and ships.)

Grant Hutchison

Do you have access to a series called Walking Britain's Lost Railways, presented by a guy called Rob Bell? His background is in engineering, he's very enthusiastic and knowledgeable, and he keeps meeting up with rail enthusiasts who have restored old trains and railway infrastructure. It's a good watch, if you're into that sort of thing. (Bell has also done various other series, about bridges and ships.)

Grant Hutchison
    I think that may have been on right after the American Roadshow last night, but it was bedtime. I'll have to check and maybe record it next week.

I think that may have been on right after the American Roadshow last night, but it was bedtime. I'll have to check and maybe record it next week.
    The background to the series is that we lost about 5000 miles of railway track in Britain in the 1960s, because of budgetary closures. So there are many miles of old railway routes and abandoned stations, some repurposed and some abandoned. Bell chooses one, walks along it, narrates the railway's history, and meets people along the way who are expert in various aspects.

Grant Hutchison