Page 112 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,360 of 3429

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    NOT watching the Dayton 500. Statistically, if I turned to pre-race coverage twice and both times a certain public figure is being shown and highlighted, what are the odds those are the ONLY 2 times? I'll take my eyes elsewhere, thanks.
    If it's the certain public figure I'm thinking it is, he's serving as Grand Marshal, so he'll probably be highlighted throughout the broadcast.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    So, I'm browsing through the channel listings yesterday when I noticed that The Outdoor Channel is showing Support Your Local Sherriff, one of my favorite movies ever. I had to watch. The story is well-written and hilarious. The casting is excellent. The acting is beautiful. I've seen it many times, know every joke before they get to the punchline, and still laughed out loud.

"I'm just passing through on my way to Australia."
    Lucky you. I was doing that yesterday and wound up with the vastly inferior, not quite a sequel, Support Your Local Gunfighter.

Gonna watch Doctor Who a bit later, but it's just not like the good ol' days of the 9th, 10th, and 11th Doctor.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Even worse--I own both movies and can only find my disc of Gunfighter. And, yes, when I wrote about Jack Elam last year, I used a still from Sheriff.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Wife has decided that one of the teams in the XFL is The Devil Incarnate because the coach was once a coach for the Chicago Bears and did a bad job of it, and the Chicago Bears are The Doers of All
    That Is Good and Decent in This World, so she was doubly happy when the Seattle Dragons (on the side of Goodness, Angels, and Kittens) won the game.

You are going to be a football widower, she told me, thanks to the XFL.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

We just root for whichever team has players from her Alma Mater (and where I did grad school). If both teams do, it's a toss up and we root for said players to have a good game. Woe be the team with no such players! As far as I know the only football teams my wife directs laser beam eyes at are Notre Dame (made a deal with Satan, apparently) and the Dallas Cowboys (though when she's reminded that they made good-ish with Emmitt Smith in the end, she tends to back down a bit. Until she forgets again).

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

We just root for whichever team has players from her Alma Mater (and where I did grad school).
    I'd root for a Louisville team, but that isn't going to happen in the XFL. Also, I hate the University of Kentucky, so no go. Ergo, whatever my wife tells me to root for, I root for it.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I don't know about Gillianren, but I found the lazy, muddled and stereotypical treatment of psychosis pretty ghastly, particularly coming at a time when we've actually been making a little progress, as a society, in reducing the stigma of serious mental illness.
    I met up with a friend last night, who has been dealing with significant mental illness for a couple of decades. I expressed surprise when he told me he'd gone to see Joker at the cinema--he just winked and said, "Know your enemy."

His succinct take on it was that if you seek to explain the baroque and improbable actions of a comic-book villain by cobbling together a tragic psychosocial back-story for him, then you create an unhelpful association between comic-book villainy and real people with tragic psychosocial back-stories.

Grant Hutchison

OK. We finally finished ST: DISCO, season 2 last night. Wow, what a kludge! How is not speaking Burnham's name in public helpful in any way? The human adopted daughter of Vulcan's top diplomat, who was TRIED AND SENTENCED FOR MUNITY. Who **STARTED THE WAR***. She was an intragalactic news sensation multiple times in her life. And the spore drive technology would have come out of years, if not decades of scientific research and development. In journals and conferences. I get what the writers tried and "needed" to do (well, they *needed* not to have mucked with Trek's admittedly malleable canon) to close up some serious loose ends, but yikes! My wife pointed out (and it seems plausible) that they ended the season the way they did because renewal wasn't a foregone conclusion. The problem now is, how does one move the story forward? It seems too easy to write it into a corner at this point.

ANYWAY.

Also working our way through Doc Martin series 9! You know, for such unlucky blokes, the Large family is pretty lucky!

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

OK. We finally finished ST: DISCO, season 2 last night. Wow, what a kludge! How is not speaking Burnham's name in public helpful in any way? The human adopted daughter of Vulcan's top diplomat, who was TRIED AND SENTENCED FOR MUNITY. Who **STARTED THE WAR***. She was an intragalactic news sensation multiple times in her life. And the spore drive technology would have come out of years, if not decades of scientific research and development.
    Yeah, it reeks of poor writing. I recently started a subscription and I watched ST:D. It is not, in my opinion, a good show. Burnham is a Mary Sue. She shouldn’t even be in Starfleet. Oh, I understand that they let characters get away with unrealistic stuff - in any reasonable organization, I would expect Kirk would have been kicked out on multiple occasions, but in season 2 of Discovery, we find that

*some spoilers below*

*stop HERE if you don’t want to read them*

the future of the galaxy literally depends on her. Also, I had to skip most of the penultimate episode with everyone gushing about how much they loved and respected her, even though other characters were also obviously incredibly talented and vital to success and were sacrificing to save the galaxy. I found that to be so ridiculous as to be unwatchable.

That said, I was liking how the season started out, with the call backs to original Trek (the best part of the season in my opinion). But they just had to go deep into a time travel theme and terminator-like plot. Star Trek rarely does time travel stories well, it usually seems like they pull out time travel when they write themselves into a corner, which is what I think happened here. Anyway, time travel is one of my top annoyances with Star Trek since they’re so bad at it.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2020-Feb-19 at 10:08 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I’m also watching ST:Picard. I am liking it a lot more than Discovery, but it is early yet. The ships look like the ships from prior series (except for some of the post-TNG ships), the Romulans are recognizable and so far the story is interesting. That said, it seems to be advancing slowly for a series with so few episodes per season and Stewart is really looking and sounding his age. They even seem to be playing up his age. I can see a real possibility that the show could be stopped before they advance the story very far simply because he might not be able to continue for long enough. He certainly isn’t going to be able to take on Klingons in hand to hand combat anymore (and incidentally they haven’t shown Klingons yet - I wonder if they will look like TNG Klingons or those weird things from Discovery).

It feels like they are currently building something like a Seven Samurai group to take on the baddies. I hope they transition from collecting new team members to advancing the story soon.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I have to add, I did get a kick out of seeing an original series era Romulan Bird of Prey in this last episode. A nice call back.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    ... I recently started a (Prime) subscription and ...
    Have you watched The Boys? It's an interesting, cynical take on a world with super heroes (Supes). They really are just like us … only worse 'cause power corrupts, right?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Have you watched The Boys? It's an interesting, cynical take on a world with super heroes (Supes). They really are just like us … only worse 'cause power corrupts, right?
    In other words, like real life celebs. With laser eyes.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I’m also watching ST:Picard. I am liking it a lot more than Discovery, but it is early yet. The ships look like the ships from prior series (except for some of the post-TNG ships), the Romulans are recognizable and so far the story is interesting. That said, it seems to be advancing slowly for a series with so few episodes per season and Stewart is really looking and sounding his age. They even seem to be playing up his age. I can see a real possibility that the show could be stopped before they advance the story very far simply because he might not be able to continue for long enough. He certainly isn’t going to be able to take on Klingons in hand to hand combat anymore (and incidentally they haven’t shown Klingons yet - I wonder if they will look like TNG Klingons or those weird things from Discovery).

It feels like they are currently building something like a Seven Samurai group to take on the baddies. I hope they transition from collecting new team members to advancing the story soon.
    Well, yeah. He's supposed to be 94 years old in this series, and has a terminal illness as part of the plot. According to the producers of the show, the first three episodes serve as a 3 part pilot, so now we are just getting into the story, which will have to evolve quickly, as you've alluded.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

The recent subscription was for CBS all access, which I expect to drop after Picard season ending. Just not enough unique content that interests me.

But I have had Prime for a while, mostly for shipping. The Boys was interesting though a little darker than I like (especially the last episode). I watched it through and it might be a more realistic take on what would happen if some people had super powers than the typical superhero/supervillain show. It had better FX than the Marvel shows on Netflix, which seemed much darker still and less interesting (I didn’t care for them at all).

Have you seen Carnival Row? It seemed a fairly interesting but different fantasy world.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Last night we watched the first episode of the EPIX channel's "War of The Worlds", Euro style.
    (Spoiler Alert....>>>)
    It didn't take very long to kill off everyone on the planet who wasn't either under ground or in a metal container. These aliens resorted to frying human brains with a special EMP frequency.

The recent subscription was for CBS all access, which I expect to drop after Picard season ending. Just not enough unique content that interests me.
    They have another "Star Trek" series currently in development called "Lower Decks," focusing on the lower-ranking officers on a ship rather than on the bridge crew.

I believe they've said that their goal - with "Discovery", "Picard", "Lower Decks", and others - is to have them staggered so that they have new "Star Trek" streaming all year long. I believe they haven't explicitly stated that that's to try to keep people from cancelling/restarting their subscriptions.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    They have another "Star Trek" series currently in development called "Lower Decks," focusing on the lower-ranking officers on a ship rather than on the bridge crew.
    Starfleet apparently has only one enlisted crewman, Chief O'Brien. Otherwise, it's officers all the way down.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Starfleet apparently has only one enlisted crewman, Chief O'Brien. Otherwise, it's officers all the way down.
    I've worked under that sort of structure at times ... .

... The Boys was interesting though a little darker than I like (especially the last episode). I watched it through and it might be a more realistic take on what would happen if some people had super powers than the typical superhero/supervillain show. …
    Dark yes, but it still has some humor in it. Well, darkly comical moments.

... Have you seen Carnival Row? It seemed a fairly interesting but different fantasy world.
    I have not, but may.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I just watched a documentary on panspermia. It was called, "The Crater Lake Monster", and it was about a meteor with a dinosaur egg in it that crashes into a lake, and the dinosaur eats a few people before being run over by a bulldozer. Arnie the bearded guy dies at the end, but he was a dope.

The news and I founf out about 6 years ago there was a murder at an univeristy I use to attend, then the rest of the night enterprise while reading a Brief history of time.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

We've been re-watching Good Omens along with reviewing some of this season's Doctor Who in preparation for tomorrow's series finale. There's an awful lot of stuff they'll have to tie together.

We finished Series 9 of Doc Martin last week. I'm going to miss the Doc. There's conflicting information as to another series (10) being made or not. Martin Clunes alluded to it, but Acorn TV (i believe) seemed to quash it immediately. Mind you, it'd likely be 2 years on, if they keep to the long-running production schedule, which may make some casting choices problematic if they stick to the series timeline. I liked how the Doc seemed to connect a little with some of his long-standing nemeses. While I like how the "season" ended, I do not like it if that's how the entire run ends.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We've been re-watching Good Omens along with reviewing some of this season's Doctor Who in preparation for tomorrow's series finale. There's an awful lot of stuff they'll have to tie together.
    I haven't seen this show nor read the book. I've always been a Pratchett fan, but have struggled to get into Gaiman for some reason. Would reading the book be a help or hindrance to watching the show?

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

I haven't seen this show nor read the book. I've always been a Pratchett fan, but have struggled to get into Gaiman for some reason. Would reading the book be a help or hindrance to watching the show?

CJSF
    I'd read the book first, although my wife has not and has enjoyed the show. I'll probably reread the book again soon. I reread everything.

I've read the book many times and enjoyed the series.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

CJSF
    I think they’re pretty similar. If you have Amazon Prime I would suggest just trying the show first. I read the book years ago. Like you, I don’t do well with Gaiman books, but I didn’t know that then and picked this up because of Pratchett. But the book didn’t work for me. I could tell some scenes were trying to be funny, but it fell flat for me. Same with the series (which I tried because sometimes things work better visually than in a book - I much preferred the TV Hitchhiker’s Guide, for instance).

That said, a lot of people really like it. Different strokes and all that.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I didn't like those few of Gaiman's solo novels that I've read (neither his style nor his content appealed), and I'm one of the three people in the world who feel that the tedium of Discworld outweighs its charm.
    But I love the novel Good Omens.
    I watched forty minutes of the TV series, thought, Nope, it really is going to be like this all the way through, and turned it off.

Grant Hutchison

From Doctor Who tonight, "Nothng ventured, nothing blown." Not going anything else for Treb.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/