Page 108 of 112 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,240 of 3337

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The Lion King, 2019 version. Agamemnon. Photo-but-not-quite-realistic animals and birds that talk and sing? How did that not land right in the middle of everyone's Uncanny Valley? It was like one of those psychedelic experiences that is neither ecstatic nor terrifying, but leaves you subtly on edge for days afterwards.
    Disney kept hyping it as "live action," and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, despite its not being submitted in the category, nominated it as Best Animated Film anyway. Now, it isn't, you understand--I haven't seen it, but there's no doubt it's terrible from what I know of it--but I just like that not even the notably corrupt Hollywood Foreign Press Association is taking the "live action" claim seriously on this one.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I wouldn't say it was terrible. For me it was neither annoying nor boring, which places it well above a lot of big-budget movies I've sat through in the last few years. But I did find it was continuously disturbing, which wears on the nerves a little. And the following morning I had a very definite sense that, just beyond the edge of my peripheral vision, squirrels were talking about me. It's been a few decades since that last happened.

Grant Hutchison

I don't like the original show much, so I'd never be a fan of the movie. Even without the obvious uncanny valley issue.

Currently watching John Mulaney and the Sack Lunch Bunch, on recommendation of many of my friends who I think have a slightly different sense of humour than I do.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Finally managed to get my hands on a reasonably priced DVD of Alternative 3, a spoof science documentary by Anglia Television, screened in 1977. It was the UK's equivalent of Orson Welles's War of the Worlds radio broadcast, since many people took it seriously despite some pretty obvious indications that it was a work of fiction. Part of the problem was that it was intended to be broadcast on April Fool's Day, but ended up going out in the middle of summer instead (though the April 1st date appears in big letters at the head of the closing credits).
    It starts out as a straightforward documentary about the "Brain Drain", which was a big concern in the UK at the time, but takes an abrupt turn into science fiction when the scientists who leave the UK turn out not to have reached their purported destinations. It is then slowly revealed (in a succession of "interviews" and "leaked videotape") that the world is going to end because of rapid global warming (fairly prescient stuff for 1977), and that the USA and USSR had abandoned the Space Race in the late 60s in order to secretly cooperate on a plan to colonize Mars with a select group of scientists and other leading thinkers.
    Amazingly, in some of the more lunatic fringes of the Conspirasphere, it's still seen as being a real documentary which was subsequently suppressed and denied by The Usual Suspects.

Grant Hutchison

Anna and the Apocalypse. An English film that's kind of High School Musical with zombies. It's very well done (Anna's dance to school while the apocalypse happens in the background is great), the cast are all wonderful (Ella Hunt as Anna is especially good, reminds of Anna Kendrick - acts, sings and dances with sass).

Available on Amazon Prime.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Ahem. Scottish film.

Grant Hutchison

You are right. It was filmed in Scotland. And I knew that but somehow the fingers typed the wrong word.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

All Is True, Kenneth Branagh's view of William Shakespeare's last few years living in Stratford-upon-Avon. The title is borrowed from Henry VIII in which the producers used the phrase to promote that historical play with an alternative title. While All is True may have applied to Henry, I'm not so sure about this plodding albeit attractive film. Scholars don't know that much about Shakespeare as a person, but Branagh presents this view as if it were history. It's watchable, but with a big grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    You are right. It was filmed in Scotland. And I knew that but somehow the fingers typed the wrong word.
    Yes, filmed in Scotland and set in Scotland, but of course that's true of lots of not-very-Scottish films (looking at you Loch Ness). I was actually thinking of the Scottish writers, director and production companies involved.
    "British" would have been fine, and I was in any case teasing. "English" is just such a common misnomer for "British", the Scots and Welsh feel obliged to react.

Grant Hutchison

My new T.V.

Which I mention as I find it interesting that for all the dearth of stuff I want to watch on free to air T.V., I did miss the "just turn it on" aspect.

Choosing something from Netflix (or other) means it's something I'm invested in, which makes it awkward during cooking or eating, or when just wanting to blob.

Turning on the T.V. and just watching Aljazeera, or whatever's the least annoying thing on - is still something I want.

(Should there be two full stops at the end of line 1?)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Disney kept hyping it as "live action," and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, despite its not being submitted in the category, nominated it as Best Animated Film anyway. Now, it isn't, you understand--I haven't seen it, but there's no doubt it's terrible from what I know of it--but I just like that not even the notably corrupt Hollywood Foreign Press Association is taking the "live action" claim seriously on this one.
    One day when actors are "too expensive" and movies are mostly made with CGI Marilyn and Bogart; will "live action" be an art-house category on the side of the (then) "real" awards?

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    My new T.V.
    (Should there be two full stops at the end of line 1?)
    No. The one stop does double duty. But some stylebooks would say that you should in any case avoid the problem by writing "television" in full at the end of a sentence, or by recasting the sentence to keep the initialism away from the end.
    And I think most stylebooks would now say that stops within an initialism are old-fashioned and better avoided, thereby fixing the problem before it arises: "My new TV."

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    One day when actors are "too expensive" and movies are mostly made with CGI Marilyn and Bogart; will "live action" be an art-house category on the side of the (then) "real" awards?
    Honestly, I don't think that day will ever happen--people watched the new Lion King, but in general, movies with extremely realistic CGI humans get rejected.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Doesn't appear that it's been mentioned yet on this board, surprisingly enough, but is anybody else watching "The Mandalorian" on Disney+?

It's pretty good.
    Yes, I just finished their last episode and enjoyed all eight, though the last two picked-up a pace that was fading. The character (actor Pedro Pascal) is great at bringing the Clint Eastwood touch to the story, and for a bounty hunter, why not? I read a few days ago that he intended this approach.

I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys Star Wars.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

I'm having a hard time watching it, because I'm not sure Simon would like it, and I have to watch it when Graham is home so we can watch it together. Maybe we'll catch up on his days off in January--when Simon's back in school.

"You can't erase icing."

Finished Series 2 of The Brokenwood Mysteries, a New Zealand production. One of my daughters left the DVD of it here over the holidays because I had so enjoyed the first series.

Oh, Doctor Who.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Not yet, but soon …

El Rey network will have a Firefly marathon starting Dec 31. And they're being aired in the correct order!
    Okay, I didn't binge but I did catch a few. They hold up quite well. And I was pleasantly surprised that a few of them were almost like first time viewings.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Oh, Doctor Who.
    Of course, season premier. And the return of an old nemesis.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

I had to work in the pun.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Oh, Doctor Who.
    I liked it better, I think, than the whole previous season. Even though I didn't understand it very well and will have to rewatch from the DVR. The James Bond references were cute.
    In the "bugs me" department, our cable system doesn't have BBC America in HD, so the aspect ratio is off.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I got a new tv and we have been on a new cable program that includes Space which airs it and Picard, so I am happy.

Watched all of "Black Books" over the last week of my holidays.

Not super hilarious, but kept me watching. Interesting to see Bill Bailey youngish (I know him mostly from more recent things like appearances in the various comedy panel shows), and all that smoking. Times have changed.

Also brought home how short a U.K. T.V. series can be.

Ah, must dig that out and watch it again - funnier, in my view, than anything currently on television.
    The over-the-top smoking was deliberate, helping set up Bernard's character and the nature of his shop - the UK was working its way towards legal smoking bans at the time the series was aired, so the topic of "selfish smokers" was much under discussion.

Grant Hutchison

We rewatched the first Doctor Who yesterday in preparation for the second half this evening. Now I followed it a bit better. And I still like it better than all of last season. I must admit, however, that I'm kind of sorry they brought back The Master right off instead of hinting at him all year like they did in Series 2.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Ah, must dig that out and watch it again - funnier, in my view, than anything currently on television.
    The over-the-top smoking was deliberate, helping set up Bernard's character and the nature of his shop - the UK was working its way towards legal smoking bans at the time the series was aired, so the topic of "selfish smokers" was much under discussion.

Grant Hutchison
    It has just been re-run on the ABC "comedy channel" locally, for about the 30th time, and it is still funny. I would never thought of that explanation for the excessive smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    It has just been re-run on the ABC "comedy channel" locally, for about the 30th time, and it is still funny. I would never thought of that explanation for the excessive smoking.
    I recall watching it when it was first broadcast, and Bernard's cigarette habit was toe-curling. You could just imagine what a book from his shop would smell like.

I'm currently watching Edge Of Darkness, a BBC thriller/mystery from 1985. A policeman's 21-year-old daughter is shot and killed, apparently during a murder bid against the policeman himself. But shortly after her death he discovers a gun and a Geiger counter in her bedside cabinet, and the gun turns out to be radioactive. He's soon chasing off down a rabbit-hole of plutonium theft, CIA spies and government cover-ups.
    It's a nice HD transfer from the original film-stock and Bob Peck is hypnotically good as the male lead.

Grant Hutchison

I recall watching it when it was first broadcast, and Bernard's cigarette habit was toe-curling. You could just imagine what a book from his shop would smell like.

I'm currently watching Edge Of Darkness, a BBC thriller/mystery from 1985. A policeman's 21-year-old daughter is shot and killed, apparently during a murder bid against the policeman himself. But shortly after her death he discovers a gun and a Geiger counter in her bedside cabinet, and the gun turns out to be radioactive. He's soon chasing off down a rabbit-hole of plutonium theft, CIA spies and government cover-ups.
    It's a nice HD transfer from the original film-stock and Bob Peck is hypnotically good as the male lead.

Grant Hutchison
    I absolutely remember eagerly watching that the first time around. Peck was amazingly good. I have never seen the film version with Mel Gibson but I gather that it is ok - damning with faint praise perhaps.

Just went thru the all the House marathon with some Who's the Boss and Big Bang Theory, and now back to the regular stuff. I actually fall asleep during the last House and ended up missing the second half of Doctor Who, it will air again in a few hours. Anyone want to ruin it for and tell me all about it.

"... And all through the House ...":

Sounds familiar of late.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    "... And all through the House ...":

Sounds familiar of late.
    Well played sir, well played.