Page 111 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,330 of 3429

Thread: What are you watching?

I watched the movie “1917” over the weekend.
    I was amazed at the cinematography.

“Let’s just tag along with our protagonists in one continuous shoot.” How did they do that?

The story wasn’t half bad, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I watched the movie “1917” over the weekend.
    I was amazed at the cinematography.

“Let’s just tag along with our protagonists in one continuous shoot.” How did they do that?

The story wasn’t half bad, either.

Very good editing.

… It was not actually shot in one take, but rather a series of continuous, uncut shots that were then cleverly connected to give the feeling of one long take. ...
    https://www.insider.com/how-1917-was...hot-wwi-2020-1
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

If you want a movie that was shot in one continuous take, Woody Harrelson's Lost in London is an interesting watch. Just to up the ante, it was broadcast live during filming. The logistics must have been ... interesting.
    (Sokurov's jaw-droppingly amazing Russian Ark is also one continuous take, but it took four attempts to get it in the can, and some of the sound was added later.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff.

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

1962's The Music Man. Wow, this does NOT hold up well! Creepy guy macking on a damsel who is oh so strong at first, but just can't help herself! Sexual assault. Gaslighting. All girls secretly want a bad boy, etc.

The underlying theme of the story is that the ends justify the means, which is never something I can go along with. How close to the original musical is it, does anyone know? I guess it's very much a product of its time.

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    1962's The Music Man. Wow, this does NOT hold up well! Creepy guy macking on a damsel who is oh so strong at first, but just can't help herself! Sexual assault. Gaslighting. All girls secretly want a bad boy, etc.

The underlying theme of the story is that the ends justify the means, which is never something I can go along with. How close to the original musical is it, does anyone know? I guess it's very much a product of its time.

CJSF
    Pretty much word for word compared to the stage play. At least, the production I was in during high school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I don’t know much about Joker other than basics of the plot and that it looks quite dark. Why did you dislike the film? I was thinking of adding it to my watch list but maybe not.
    To be strictly fair, I have not seen it--the only Best Picture nominee I've seen this year was Little Women. But from what my friends have told me (I have a lot of friends who are very into movies), there's the terrible portrayal of mental illness and the fact that, from plot and so forth, you'd be better off watching The King of Comedy, which covers the same ground but with more sensitivity and coherence.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

We used to watch Australian Rules Football (hard to describe) on YouTube, but then all of it was taken off YT and we can't afford to get it through official channels. My wife is a fan of the Geelong Cats.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    To be strictly fair, I have not seen it--the only Best Picture nominee I've seen this year was Little Women. But from what my friends have told me (I have a lot of friends who are very into movies), there's the terrible portrayal of mental illness and the fact that, from plot and so forth, you'd be better off watching The King of Comedy, which covers the same ground but with more sensitivity and coherence.
    Yeah, it was the tired old "going crazy makes you violent" thing that really irritated me. We need another "psycho killer" movie about as much as we need another "scantily clad young woman in peril" movie.
    That said, there were moments in Joker when we got to see what a grim daily struggle it is to deal with serious mental illness. But in the end it seemed like "violent crazies" was the take-home message.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Thank you! There are plenty more movies I'd put in the queue ahead of something like this. (And somehow I have never seen King of Comedy so I might oughta view it some day).

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    We used to watch Australian Rules Football (hard to describe) ...
    I had a co-worker once who lived in Australia for a couple of years and became a fan of Aussie football. He said there were only two rules.
    1. No guns.
    2. No knives.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

I had a co-worker once who lived in Australia for a couple of years and became a fan of Aussie football. He said there were only two rules.
    1. No guns.
    2. No knives.
    There are some poles which are important. Also, the game seems to borrow from basketball, football, soccer, and... I give up, I have no idea what it is. However, my wife loves it.

As probably either the only one, or one of very few, on this site who has actually played played Australian Rules Football (Aussie Rules) I feel a need to comment here. (To be honest I only played as a junior and then later as a senior skipping the more important bit as an young adult as I was not really very good.)

Its origin has been argued about for years and it is generally accepted that it is an amalgamation of many other sports - but not Basketball as that sport evolved nearly 40 years after the first attempt to lay down the rules of Aussie Rules was made. As well as adopting, stealing, ideas from sports like soccer & rugby it was also possibly influenced by an Aboriginal game called Marngrook and more probably by Gaelic Football.

In fact Australia and Ireland play an irregular competition between each other in a "manufactured" game which includes both Gaelic Football and Aussie Rules concepts. The Irish even though they are semi-amateurs compared to the full time professional Australian players often win the series because it is played with a round ball that they are far more accomplished in using.

While there is certainly a lot of physical contact involved it is a far less violent game than what it used to be. These days anyone punching someone will be suspended immediately and any unnecessary contact with the head is severely punished as the problems of serial concussions have become more evident.

And for Roger E Moore's wife here is a 2017 highlights package of the Geelong Cats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gof9-PKVQns

Oh my gosh, my wife will go nuts! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Oh my gosh, my wife will go nuts! Thank you!
    There's a phrase you don't hear every day.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Thank you! There are plenty more movies I'd put in the queue ahead of something like this. (And somehow I have never seen King of Comedy so I might oughta view it some day).
    It's rough viewing, but I thought it was very good. And while you can understand why its characters do what they do, that isn't the same as excusing what they do. You're aware that, you know, mental health care would be a better option than what they're doing, even though it won't happen because they don't know what's wrong with them.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

1. No guns.
    2. No knives.
    And the referees wear funny outfits.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Dr. Becky Smethurst's YouTube channel. She's an astrophysicist at Oxford and has mostly weekly video uploads highlighting various topics in astronomy and cosmology.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYN...oXkipC-Q/about

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

I am a noted cryophobe, particularly when it comes to weather, but I find myself fascinated by skiing events. I've been having great fun watching the FIS world cup skiing on The Olympic Channel (and occasionally on NBCSN), as well as the freestyle events and even a bit of bobsleigh. The downhill ski runs in particular are just spectacular to watch, and I've been following Mikaela Shiffrin this season, though I think my favorite skiers are Sofia Goggia (who just broke her arm!) and Ester Ledecká, who was primarily a snowboarder until the last winter games and surprised nearly everyone by taking gold in the Super-G. I'm a little less clear on who the men are, though I love watching them race, too.

Sadly, Shiffrin's father passed away last week, unexpectedly, which really sucks.

I don't know all the ins-and-outs of the various disciplines or how to ski at all, but man, I love watching those races!

CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; 2020-Feb-13 at 02:13 PM.

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Ad Astra. Not perfect by any means, but I loved it--a real Tarkovsky/Soderbergh/Godard science-fiction-as-metaphor thing going on. I don't often get to the end of a movie and immediately feel like watching it again, but this was one of those.

However, I can certainly see why anyone who tuned in expecting literalist engineering SF adventure (Tell me again how many holes you had to drill, Watney?) might be disappointed.

Grant Hutchison

About 2/3 into the newest Picard episode, really liking the sereis so far. They are really fleshing out the romulons which were kind of two dimensional in the past. Liske seeing Picard sayin engage and at the same time the theme music from TNG was in the background. So far tonights best line is "Romulon warrior nuns."
    ETA: Every time I think of the show I here the woman from when they were in San Francisco in the past calling him John luck Pickard.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    About 2/3 into the newest Picard episode, really liking the sereis so far. They are really fleshing out the romulons which were kind of two dimensional in the past. Liske seeing Picard sayin engage and at the same time the theme music from TNG was in the background. So far tonights best line is "Romulon warrior nuns."
    ETA: Every time I think of the show I here the woman from when they were in San Francisco in the past calling him John luck Pickard.
    I thought it was Q who called him that, emoting as a flowergram delivery boy or something.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Ad Astra. Not perfect by any means, but I loved it--a real Tarkovsky/Soderbergh/Godard science-fiction-as-metaphor thing going on. I don't often get to the end of a movie and immediately feel like watching it again, but this was one of those.

However, I can certainly see why anyone who tuned in expecting literalist engineering SF adventure (Tell me again how many holes you had to drill, Watney?) might be disappointed.

Grant Hutchison
    Yes. Despite my lukewarm post above, I can agree with you (except the wanting to watch it again). I still feel it could have used more definition as to what sort of story it was trying to tell - it wandered a bit too much for my liking - but it was certainly not a "sci-fi" action/adventure movie that many might have expected. I liked some of it for other reasons.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Picking up on ST: DISCO season 2 again... Did anyone catch in one episode where Captain Pike asks someone to hand him the Fahrenheit Tools? I chuckled, because I thought it was a sideways poke at the "Kelvin Universe" Trek, as in this wasn't connected.

As for ST:Picard, do we know yet if we are dealing with a universe connected to the Kelvin Universe? I know there've been comments made by people associated with the show that it isn't, but at some point there needs to be a connection between the events of 2009 Trek and Spock's role and what's happening with ST:Picard and the Romulan diaspora.

CJSF

P.S. Ensign Tilly is still my favorite.

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

As for ST:Picard, do we know yet if we are dealing with a universe connected to the Kelvin Universe? I know there've been comments made by people associated with the show that it isn't, but at some point there needs to be a connection between the events of 2009 Trek and Spock's role and what's happening with ST:Picard and the Romulan diaspora.
    My understanding is that ST:Picard is set in the “original” timeline. The connection is that Spock attempted the red matter stuff there, but got kicked back in time along with that Romulan ship shown in the 2009 movie, setting off the Kelvin alternate timeline. In the original timeline, the supernova occurred because Spock and the red matter are gone.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Picking up on ST: DISCO season 2 again... Did anyone catch in one episode where Captain Pike asks someone to hand him the Fahrenheit Tools? I chuckled, because I thought it was a sideways poke at the "Kelvin Universe" Trek, as in this wasn't connected.

CJSF

P.S. Ensign Tilly is still my favorite.
    They are slowly telling the story of how it is connected to supernova event. But I like Seven of Nines first line "you owe me a ship".
    ETA: Q could of called him that but I remember the boarding house lady saying it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    My understanding is that ST:Picard is set in the “original” timeline. The connection is that Spock attempted the red matter stuff there, but got kicked back in time along with that Romulan ship shown in the 2009 movie, setting off the Kelvin alternate timeline. In the original timeline, the supernova occurred because Spock and the red matter are gone.
    Yes, thinking about it more, that does make sense.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

So, I'm browsing through the channel listings yesterday when I noticed that The Outdoor Channel is showing Support Your Local Sherriff, one of my favorite movies ever. I had to watch. The story is well-written and hilarious. The casting is excellent. The acting is beautiful. I've seen it many times, know every joke before they get to the punchline, and still laughed out loud.

"I'm just passing through on my way to Australia."
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Just watching some of the Hobbit movies while heating up some soup mom cooked yesterday and doing a little writing.

NOT watching the Dayton 500. Statistically, if I turned to pre-race coverage twice and both times a certain public figure is being shown and highlighted, what are the odds those are the ONLY 2 times? I'll take my eyes elsewhere, thanks.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org