Page 110 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,300 of 3429

Thread: What are you watching?

  1. #3271
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,570
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    When Universal did a reboot of "The Bionic Woman" a decade or so ago...
    Wow. I completely missed THAT. Did it last beyond the pilot?

    Anyway, since this is a general "watching" thread and not TEAM DISCO, we have been watching a Canadian show called Still Standing, where comedian/actor Jonny Harris (Murdoch Mysteries) takes his stand-up routine on the road to struggling Canadian small towns. It's quite good, although I wish there was a bit more of a critical eye thrown at the extractive industries when warranted.

    CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

    Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

    -They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"


    lonelybirder.org

  2. #3272
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    8,877
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Wow. I completely missed THAT. Did it last beyond the pilot?
    It wasn't bad, but it went with the modern "dark and gritty" rather than the more positive optimism of the original. Katee Sackhoff of "Battlestar Galactica" had a supporting role.

    It lasted something like six or eight episodes. There was a strike (writers?) in Hollywood that year which stopped production on lots of shows, and "Bionic Woman" was one that never got picked up again after the strike was over.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

  3. #3273
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,570
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    It wasn't bad, but it went with the modern "dark and gritty" rather than the more positive optimism of the original. Katee Sackhoff of "Battlestar Galactica" had a supporting role.

    It lasted something like six or eight episodes. There was a strike (writers?) in Hollywood that year which stopped production on lots of shows, and "Bionic Woman" was one that never got picked up again after the strike was over.
    Ah yes. There was a show, similar to Quantum Leap in some respects, but which I really liked, called Journeyman that suffered a similar fate (despite what Wikipedia says - I recall there being print media about the strike's effect on the show).

    CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

    Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

    -They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"


    lonelybirder.org

  4. #3274
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    31,141
    There are also several shows that demonstrably aired more episodes than they otherwise would have gotten because the writers' strike kept there from being something else to air in those slots instead!
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  5. #3275
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    18,850
    Our Friends In the North, a BBC miniseries from 1996 that follows the fortunes of four friends from Newcastle over three decades, from the '60s to the '90s. I watched it when it first aired, and it was the first time I'd seen any of the four lead actors - Christopher Eccleston, Gina McKee, Daniel Craig and Mark Strong, all of whom have done pretty well for themselves since. (If you've only ever seen Craig playing Bond, you'd be amazed to see how much proper acting he can do.)

    What surprised me about this on rewatching was how emotionally gruelling it is--I guess I was either a little more emotionally robust, or able to maintain a little more detachment, back in the day.

    Grant Hutchison

  6. #3276
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    11,035
    Been watching Man Down.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_Down_(TV_series)

    Again a show where I know some of the actors more from later stuff; but here - Rik Mayall I know from ages back. Seemed familiar but took me a moment to figure out.

    Good show, but some moments of cringe comedy that I literally can't watch.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

  7. #3277
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,160
    The latest episode of Dr Who screened in Australia tonight. As said earlier in this episode - excellent episode.

  8. #3278
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,147
    Doc Martin, series 9, because I just ordered discs from Amazon. We really enjoy the Doc and Louiser!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  9. #3279
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Doc Martin, series 9, because I just ordered discs from Amazon. We really enjoy the Doc and Louiser!
    We just got the first disc from Netflix! Oh Doc! You never change! No, really. You never do!

    Morwenna is a treasure.

    CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

    Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

    -They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"


    lonelybirder.org

  10. #3280
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    31,141
    I usually spend February catching up with Oscar nominees, but the ceremony is so ridiculously early this month that I really won't get the chance to do that. However, I am taking myself to the movies today to catch Knives Out, one of the nominees my friends who have seen it assure me that I will love. I might manage to sneak in one more next week, maybe two (depends on Graham's schedule), but I'd been assured this was exactly my thing and therefore have made it my priority.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  11. #3281
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,147
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    We just got the first disc from Netflix! Oh Doc! You never change! No, really. You never do!

    Morwenna is a treasure.

    CJSF
    Have you gotten to the fourth episode's guest star yet?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  12. #3282
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Have you gotten to the fourth episode's guest star yet?
    Not yet. We finished ep 3 the other night and have taken a pause. We'll probably watch tonight, after Picard and (sigh) Discovery.

    CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

    Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

    -They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"


    lonelybirder.org

  13. #3283
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,570
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Not yet. We finished ep 3 the other night and have taken a pause. We'll probably watch tonight, after Picard and (sigh) Discovery.

    CJSF
    Oh! PC (now SGT) Mylow! I had forgotten he'd a thing for our Louiserr! It's been, what, 14 years (about 7 in the show's timeline)? Wow.

    The Doc seemed a touch .. "warmer"? With Louisa this episode but was in great form with the GMC doc. LOL.

    CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

    Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

    -They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"


    lonelybirder.org

  14. #3284
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,147
    All we could think of was that PC Mylow has gained rather a lot of weight!

    Awesome quick joke in one we watched tonight. Doc calls in a patient by name. Highlight to read.
    Iona Castle. Say it out loud.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  15. #3285
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    All we could think of was that PC Mylow has gained rather a lot of weight!

    Awesome quick joke in one we watched tonight. Doc calls in a patient by name. Highlight to read.
    Iona Castle. Say it out loud.
    Oh, yes... must have been all those perogies!

    I heard that on another show recently, too, and thought I had misheard! I asked my wife why he said such a non sequitur, and she looked at me like I wasn't making sense. I'll be on the lookout for it.

    CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; 2020-Feb-01 at 02:45 PM. Reason: weird memory thing
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

    Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

    -They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"


    lonelybirder.org

  16. #3286
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    31,141
    For the record, Knives Out was delightful, and the mystery buffs around here would probably enjoy it.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  17. #3287
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    For the record, Knives Out was delightful, and the mystery buffs around here would probably enjoy it.
    Wanted to go see that, but we keep missing it from work and family commitments. DVD or Netflix it is, then.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

  18. #3288
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    For the record, Knives Out was delightful, and the mystery buffs around here would probably enjoy it.
    So it's not some Tarantino inspired bloodfest, then?

    CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

    Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

    -They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"


    lonelybirder.org

  19. #3289
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    31,141
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    So it's not some Tarantino inspired bloodfest, then?
    Very much not. Rian Johnson cites his inspirations as things more like Agatha Christie and the classic murder mystery parody Murder by Death.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  20. #3290
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,331
    The Super Bowl, on nfl.com/live using Sling TV. Wife is mainly watching it, I am sort of bored.

    LATER: Numbers are dominating, there has been activity and pushing and grabbing, but also short artistic films involving commercial products. More pushing and numbers are changing. Now a warning that the singing will start in two minutes. We must flee.
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Feb-03 at 12:53 AM.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

  21. #3291
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    The Super Bowl, on nfl.com/live using Sling TV. Wife is mainly watching it, I am sort of bored.

    LATER: Numbers are dominating, there has been activity and pushing and grabbing, but also short artistic films involving commercial products. More pushing and numbers are changing. Now a warning that the singing will start in two minutes. We must flee.
    I found the game to be exciting. I had no real attachment to either team, though I think part of me was hoping San Francisco would play well to reflect well on Katie Sowers. But early in the season (week 2 or so) I said that I though Kansas City would make the Super Bowl and likely win, and stuck to that all season.

    I did not find most of the ads very compelling or entertaining. They seem to be getting worse as the years go on (or I am getting curmudgeonly), but I was sad that no Clydesdale ads aired. I gave myself points for not grumbling out load at the Budweiser ad about "real Americans" given that Budweiser is not an American company any more. But there was definitely a "diverse" flavor to many of the ads, which I was ok with.

    CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

    Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

    -They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"


    lonelybirder.org

  22. #3292
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,647
    Upright. This Australian roadtrip short series starring Tim Minchin and the amazing Milly Alcock is well worth a watch.

  23. #3293
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,147
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I found the game to be exciting. I had no real attachment to either team, though I think part of me was hoping San Francisco would play well to reflect well on Katie Sowers. But early in the season (week 2 or so) I said that I though Kansas City would make the Super Bowl and likely win, and stuck to that all season.

    I did not find most of the ads very compelling or entertaining. They seem to be getting worse as the years go on (or I am getting curmudgeonly), but I was sad that no Clydesdale ads aired. I gave myself points for not grumbling out load at the Budweiser ad about "real Americans" given that Budweiser is not an American company any more. But there was definitely a "diverse" flavor to many of the ads, which I was ok with.

    CJSF
    My wife was complaining about the lack of Clydesdales as well.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  24. #3294
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,147
    We finished Doc Martin series 9 last night. Just lovely.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  25. #3295
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,561
    We've been watching Sir David Attenborough's latest nature documentary series "Seven Worlds, One Planet". And yes astronomy friends, it really isn't seven worlds, it is the seven continents of Earth.

    It doesn't seem possible, but everyone of his series the photography gets even more spectacular. There is some amazing high-resolution drone photography in this one. And after the premiere of each episode, they have a "making of" segment that shows what the photographers have to go through. For example, the segment about a mother puma and her cubs, they had to follow her as she trekked 100 miles across very southern South America in search of prey.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  26. #3296
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    We've been watching Sir David Attenborough's latest nature documentary series "Seven Worlds, One Planet". ...
    Great program, but much too short. Some segments barely get started before they're over.

    (I really enjoyed the crowd-surfing penguins, btw.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  27. #3297
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    9,471
    Mrs. Cougar and I have been enjoying Portlandia. Crazy funny!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

  28. #3298
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    31,141
    Watched the Oscars last night. To my great pleasure, Joker was almost completely shut out--and one of its only two wins was for its composer, the only woman nominated in the category. Wish there'd been more love for Little Women, though.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  29. #3299
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Watched the Oscars last night. To my great pleasure, Joker was almost completely shut out--and one of its only two wins was for its composer, the only woman nominated in the category. Wish there'd been more love for Little Women, though.
    I don’t know much about Joker other than basics of the plot and that it looks quite dark. Why did you dislike the film? I was thinking of adding it to my watch list but maybe not.

  30. #3300
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    18,850
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I don’t know much about Joker other than basics of the plot and that it looks quite dark. Why did you dislike the film? I was thinking of adding it to my watch list but maybe not.
    I don't know about Gillianren, but I found the lazy, muddled and stereotypical treatment of psychosis pretty ghastly, particularly coming at a time when we've actually been making a little progress, as a society, in reducing the stigma of serious mental illness.

    Grant Hutchison

Similar Threads

  1. What are you NOT watching?
    By Fazor in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 2014-May-05, 11:35 AM
  2. What are you watching on TV?
    By Disinfo Agent in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 2012-Jun-09, 07:41 PM
  3. Who is watching who?
    By peteshimmon in forum Forum Introductions and Feedback
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2006-Dec-11, 12:54 PM
  4. TV watching
    By xbck1 in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2005-Nov-08, 02:01 PM
  5. Satellite watching
    By Skyfox 56 in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2003-Jul-30, 05:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •