Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125
Results 3,721 to 3,728 of 3728

Thread: What are you watching?

I tried watching The Boys. I didn't like it. It could just be Superhero burnout.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I tried watching The Boys. I didn't like it. It could just be Superhero burnout.
    Could you give some thoughts on what you didn’t like about it? I watched the first season, but it has some of the same issues as Utopia, though with somewhat less insanity and a little bit of (very dark) humor. In this case, the “superheroes” (mostly) aren’t really heroes, but more of stealth supervillains. It’s more about power and corruption.

I don’t dislike it as much as Utopia, but it mostly comes down to there being some characters I can care about (I generally can’t get invested in a story if I don’t have much reason to care about the main characters). I’m not that impressed with it however, and so far haven’t gotten past the first episode of the second season.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2020-Oct-02 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Typo

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Skjelvet (The Quake), a Norwegian disaster movie that's a sequel to Bølgen (The Wave). In Bølgen they demolished a town I quite like (Gairanger); in Skelvet they demolished a hotel I once stayed in (the Radisson Blu Plaza in Oslo).
    Best acting came from child actor Edith Haagenrud-Sande, who knocked the socks off all the scenery-chewing adult leads.
    It was fine, as disaster movies go, but not a patch on Bølgen for drama and tension, and sadly lacking in a basic knowledge of what makes buildings stay up and not fall down--I haven't seen a more improbable informal cantilever since the ruined Capitol dome in the early episodes of Designated Survivor.

Grant Hutchison

We stayed there one Hogmanay and saw the New Year in in the rooftop bar, that got expensive quickly.

I have seen a poster for an apocalyptic/disaster move (which I can't find or remember the name of) where there is a suspension bridge in the background which is missing a tower. But they didn't think it through, they simply rendered it with the remaining cables curved as if it were still there. So the bridge span ended at the lowest point of the supporting cable but the roadway was still flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    We stayed there one Hogmanay and saw the New Year in in the rooftop bar, that got expensive quickly
    A lot of the peril in the film takes place in that bar, which improbably survives half the building below being demolished. Like this.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Skjelvet (The Quake), a Norwegian disaster movie that's a sequel to Bølgen (The Wave). In Bølgen they demolished a town I quite like (Gairanger); in Skelvet they demolished a hotel I once stayed in (the Radisson Blu Plaza in Oslo).
    Best acting came from child actor Edith Haagenrud-Sande, who knocked the socks off all the scenery-chewing adult leads.
    It was fine, as disaster movies go, but not a patch on Bølgen for drama and tension, and sadly lacking in a basic knowledge of what makes buildings stay up and not fall down--I haven't seen a more improbable informal cantilever since the ruined Capitol dome in the early episodes of Designated Survivor.

Grant Hutchison
    Should not the wave have followed the quake?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I was watching Glitch Techs, a Netflix cartoon series the kids like, this weekend, and discovered that one character's street number is 1337. It's about gamers who get jobs for a gaming corporation, fighting glitches that come out of the video games and into the real world.

Yesterday while sewing, however, I was watching my discs of The Human Face, with John Cleese and Elizabeth Hurley. I'm not sure I've watched it since I bought the discs when our local Hollywood Video went out of business, but it's definitely a show worth checking out. It's about how the brain and face interact, mostly.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Finished Zoo. Sort of. Forgot to check before I started - it'd been cancelled after S3 so didn't really end.

The "science" got stupider and stupider, characters acted less and less believably, repeated plot hooks (e.g. character dies, oh, didn't really die; again), ... it all just got to be a mess. Started to feel like they simply started throwing plot points at a whiteboard, not that it had all been thought out. Not recommended.

Back to Rake. Australian series about a Lawyer. Loving it so far. (About half way into S2 of 4.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.