Page 129 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130 LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,870 of 3895

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I need to at least start watching The Watch just to see whether to record it again on Sunday.
    It seems to be getting better.

Watched the first two episodes of WandaVision. I like it. It's interesting on several levels. And it's definitely a different direction for the MCU.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I really like Wandavision. It's definitely going places, and I like that it's a superhero show that isn't about fighting.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

We are continuing to watch Travelers on Netflix. Aside from some deeply concerning ethics, I find myself wondering: clearly they can send material objects back, so why bother with the creepy permanent Quantum Leap-ish transference? We're liking the show overall enough to keep watching.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

I actually watched some Quantum Leap last night!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I actually watched some Quantum Leap last night!
    Quantum Leap is one of my favorites shows. I need to go check to see where it is streaming. No guarantee I have that service, which is annoying. (Edit - no streaming service... It's on NBC.com as a free offering in the US.)

I did enjoy WandaVision. I can't wait for the next show. My children hate it, which kind of surprises me.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    We are continuing to watch Travelers on Netflix. Aside from some deeply concerning ethics, I find myself wondering: clearly they can send material objects back, so why bother with the creepy permanent Quantum Leap-ish transference? We're liking the show overall enough to keep watching.

CJSF
    DRAMA!

Also, maybe in-universe it's the inverse of Terminator time travel; only non-living things can go back.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Quantum Leap is one of my favorites shows. I need to go check to see where it is streaming. No guarantee I have that service, which is annoying. (Edit - no streaming service... It's on NBC.com as a free offering in the US.)
    I've been watching it on the Roku Channel, which is part of our TV.

"You can't erase icing."

Watching Jeopardy earlier and for some peoples knowledge, Quebec is not bilingual and Montreal is not a province.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I haven't watched Jeopardy since Alex Trebek died. Just can't.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Ken Jennings is...meh. Speaks way too fast for my liking. But he's temporary so I'm not overly spun up about his time as guest host.

We just finished season 5 of Better Caul Saul, the prequel to Breaking Bad. It's not quite as good as BB, but it still stands on its own as pretty darned good television drama. We're looking forward to season 6....sometime....hopefully...maybe....this year.

Caught the third episode of Wandavision last night and am definitely along for the show's ride.

I'm watching Comic Book Confidential now and am noticing a lot of what they aren't saying about the underground comic scene.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Caught the third episode of Wandavision last night and am definitely along for the show's ride. ...
    It does keep one's interest.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

This morning, we woke up before the kids did and finally finished season one of The Mandalorian and are on to season two.

"You can't erase icing."

The Surgeon's Cut on Netflix. It's a documentary series about specific surgeons; their lives and work, told mostly in their own words. So far I've seen the first 2 episodes, and I agree with my wife. If even 10% of doctors and surgeons were like these men (so far it's been 2 guys), medicine and the world would be a much kinder place.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

Lucky Ghost, a "race film" from 1942 that I'm watching for research for one of next month's articles. I could easily see it made in the same year starring Bing Crosby and Bob Hope. I'm at least halfway through, and not a single white person has appeared onscreen.

"You can't erase icing."

I've been watching Blood & Treasure. An ex-FBI antiquities expert and an art thief join forces to track down a terrorist who funds his activities with "blood antiquities". Which are a thing.
    Complete disposable hokum, but I find it oddly hypnotic. Lots of knowing nods to Dan Brown, Tomb Raider, Indiana Jones, etc, but it most puts me in mind of Revolution's Broken Sword series of puzzle/adventure games.

Grant Hutchison

I watched the movie ďPushĒ recently. Itís a movie about people with psychic powers with government agencies after them. It gets a bit interesting as there are unusual (for this kind of story) mixes of telepathy, precognition, clairvoyance, and telekinesis involved and avoiding enemy psychics requires finesse. Also, it is set in Hong Kong (though mostly with western actors) and the setting makes for a bit different look. I was surprised that it dates back to 2009, but Iíd never heard of it. It didnít look like a low budget movie, but I guess it didnít get that well noticed.

Not a top movie, but it kept my interest.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We tried watching The Boys but didn't make it out of the first episode. Too much gratuitous blood and gore and a really awful situation of sexual harassment that turned us off so much that we didn't stick around to see how that scene worked out. I guess I can't channel my inner 15-year-old adolescent anymore.

On a much, much better level we are enjoying The Dig, the discovery of the Sutton Hoo in 1939 Suffolk.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    We tried watching The Boys but didn't make it out of the first episode.
    The first episode of the series? I watched the first season, but yes it is very dark. Iíve watched a couple episodes of the second season, but havenít yet had enough interest to continue. Utopia is even darker (at least Boys tries for dark humor, even if it doesnít really work for me - as far as I can tell, Utopia is humorless) and half the characters seem to be insane members of a doomsday cult. I watched a few episodes of that and will not be continuing.

Iím really tired of the attitude that adult oriented movies/shows have to be intensely violent with main characters that I hope will get killed off because they are such awful human beings.

On a much, much better level we are enjoying The Dig, the discovery of the Sutton Hoo in 1939 Suffolk.
    Iíve had that in my watch list, it does look interesting. Maybe Iíll catch it tonight.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    We tried watching The Boys but didn't make it out of the first episode. Too much gratuitous blood and gore and a really awful situation of sexual harassment that turned us off so much that we didn't stick around to see how that scene worked out. I guess I can't channel my inner 15-year-old adolescent anymore.
    The harassment scenes have a significant impact on the rest of the plot. But as heavy as it is, the series is actually cleaned up from the source comic, which by all accounts played its rampant misogyny and justifications for violence dead straight.

Yeah, The Boys can be a bit ... dark. Okay, much more than a bit. I'd like to say the second season lightens up some, but it doesn't really. It can be worth it, though. And next season sees Dean Winchester join the cast!

What surprises me is the number of people who - for whatever reason - think Homelander is the hero / good guy. Do they just look at the posters? Listen to his speeches?

On two different notes:

I'm LOVING WandaVision!

And Resident Alien looks pretty promising. Alan Tudyk is very good. "Whiskey helps me think clearly and make rational decisions." Uh huh.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

What surprises me is the number of people who - for whatever reason - think Homelander is the hero / good guy. Do they just look at the posters? Listen to his speeches?
    He's the "traditional" iconic type. Appearance, costume, powers, and packaging, he fits the social-bias mold to a T. He's just super, man!

We watched the first episode of "Alien Resident" on the Sci-Fi channel, it's silly/weird but worth a second episode.
    Spoiler Alert----beyond this point....
    --------
    --------
    The alien got stranded on Earth while attempting to plant a device which will wipe out the human race, he lost it but is trying to find it to complete his "mission".

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    We watched the first episode of "Alien Resident" on the Sci-Fi channel, it's silly/weird but worth a second episode.
    Spoiler Alert----beyond this point....
    --------
    --------
    The alien got stranded on Earth while attempting to plant a device which will wipe out the human race, he lost it but is trying to find it to complete his "mission".
    Why would you spoil?

Thanks for the Alien Resident recommendation. I recently watched an alien invasion movie that was supposed to be a comedy, with people talking about how much they laughed watching it. The movie was terrible, boring and depressing. I’ve seen so many unhumorous “comedies” I’ve been wondering lately if I lost my sense of humor. This episode of this show, however, was genuinely funny. If I have a complaint, the alien was too human, mentally at least. But I was smiling through most of it, had a number of chuckles and a couple of big laughs. Now to see if they can maintain that.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Lilyhammer. I'd seen the first two seasons years ago but for some reason never the third. For fans of the Sopranos, give Lilyhammer a watch. It stars Steven Van Zandt essentially reprising his role from the Sopranos but with a very not-so-gangstertish cast of cohorts and minions resident in Norway. Van Zandt (guitarist in Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band) was the driving force for Lilyhammer - acting, writing, music, exec producer. A talented guy. A fourth season is apparently planned by the Norwegian media company that shared production duties with Netflix on the first three.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Why would you spoil?
    That spoiler tidbit above (the alien's mission) wasn't revealed until the last few minutes of the first episode.

The kids are asleep, so I've decided to watch some of The History of Swear Words. Interesting stuff.

"You can't erase icing."

The British Museum has produced videos called Curator's Corner in which curators go into some depth about objects in the museum collections. I just finished watching Sue Brunning give two presentations on artifacts from the Sutton Hoo dig; the Sutton Hoo helmet and the Sutton Hoo sword, in which it seems the owner was left handed. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2021-Feb-15 at 07:43 PM.

I happened to watch those last week! Need to watch more.

Since YouTube has come up, I've been very much enjoying two boatbuilding series.
    Tally Ho is the restoration of an early 20th century sailing yacht. The work is being done about 30 miles from me and we've driven by once or twice. I said restoration but the fabric is virtually all new, like the Ship of Theseus. Leo is an experienced sailor and shipwright.
    Acorn to Arabella is two young guys in central Massachusetts building a boat from scratch to a vintage design. And when I say "from scratch", I mean that much of it is oak harvested on the family farm. Neither of them has done anything quite like this before.
    It's fun to watch the contrasts between the two. They've used two different methods of frame construction, for instance.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.