Thread: Newbie needs input please

Newbie needs input PLEASE

Hello,
    I would like some input as to which scope to get. I need/want to be able to perform double duty.

1. To use at the firing range to see where my bullets are going...100yds.

2. To begin my new hobbie of astronomy. Initially to view planets and other bodies within throwing distance. LOL

I am considering the folowing:

Celestron Mini-mak C70

Celestron C90 Mak

Celestron Travel Scope 70

Orion Apex 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope

Orion StarMax 90mm TableTop Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope

Your advise is appreciated.
    Jerry
    Last edited by grahng; 2012-Aug-23 at 11:32 PM.

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    OK - my nickel on this is very limited: I have the Orion GoScope 70. With 10 & 20mm eyepieces, it works quite well on the range out to 300 yds - I haven't tried it beyond that, and I prefer it to my spotting scopes when shooting off the bench.
    With it, I saw enough of Saturn that I got a bigger scope . It normally sits looking out our dining room window for wildlife viewing, and works well. It packs nicely in it's little backpack, although the tripod it came with is a bit shaky. This looks similar to the Celestron Travel Scope 70 above, and is the only comparison I can make, except that I wish the Celestron had been available when I got the Orion, as it looks like a much better deal :>

Happy viewing!

dave

IF you can locate one - this little gem would be perfect, it has the 'multi-mount' tracking system: http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/c...telescope.html

See what Ed Ting had to say: http://10minuteastronomy.wordpress.c...cher-90mm-mak/

I can vouch for it, I got lucky ! Got one for $149.95, but that was back in late January or early Feb. You might be able to scrounge around & find one for sale. Good luck !

I found that Celestron Backpacker, it looks like they have one here ? Maybe: http://telescopes.net/store/imported-14.html

I have Orion StarMax 90mm TableTop Mak. It gets double duty at the range and in the backyard at night. @ 100 yards no problem with seeing the target. I've used it out to 200-250 yards and it works well.

For Astronomy... the Moon is mind blowing. Jupiter and Saturn while small do resolve well. For the most part DSOs that are 15-20 arc-min are viewable. With the 25mm eyepiece your field of view is about 1. So larger open clusters, like the Pleiades and the Hyades, will not be able to see in their entirety.

Over all I am quite happy with it.

Quinn