Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 159

Thread: 20 Questions?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    493

    20 Questions?

    This game's older than God; but it seems to me the brainy folks here might enjoy a round or two.
    I always liked shows like 'What's my line' or 'Front Page Challenge' when I was a kid; I used to close my eyes and try to figure out who it was - never got one right.

    Seems to me that a forum like this would be a good place to play a game; so anyone interested?

    If you are; here are my rules:
    1) Each question must be able to be answered by a yes or a no.

    2) Questioners can ask a question at any time; but may only guess the subject's identity a) immediately (within 1/2 hour; according to the post's time) following his/her last question and b) if he/she's asked a minimum of 3 questions.
    (IOW; you must've asked at least 3 questions total; the last within 1/2 hour of guessing. This keeps people from sitting back and jumping in with the guess while others are doing the hard work of questioning.)

    3) The subject can be anyone; anywhere, in any field. The only stipulation for this round is that the person is alive today.

    That's a lot of people to choose from; so to help the questioners:
    4) The person must be internationally famous. And/or the event he/she's involved in should be. IOW; David Miller's a household word; but unless you live in Ontario you've probably never heard of the creep before.

    5) People often post on top of one another; so number your question - if there are 2 #5's, for instance; the first one will be the one answered.

    OK - easy enough?
    So if anyone wants to play; I'll start - 'cause it's my thread. Nyeah, nyeah.

    OK; I've written down my identity. As per the rules; I'm famous; as is the story I'm involved in. I'm alive and well and awaiting the first question.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,643

    Re: 20 Questions?

    Are you human?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    117
    Q#1 - are you male?


    YRS - APE

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by ignorant_ape
    Q#1 - are you male?


    YRS - APE
    No.

    (Matsukov - sorry; I took his first; 'cause it was numbered. )

    But I can answer yours anyway; yes; I'm Human - I kinda assumed that criteria. )

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    4,070
    #2: North American?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by kucharek
    #2: North American?
    Yes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    4,070
    #3: Either scientist or actress?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by kucharek
    #3: Either scientist or actress?
    Hmmm - snuck a double in there? I'll answer the first and say no.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    4,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Staiduk
    Quote Originally Posted by kucharek
    #3: Either scientist or actress?
    Hmmm - snuck a double in there? I'll answer the first and say no.
    No no. The or is really a logical or here, not in the usual linguistic meaning which is more an exclusive-or. If you answer my question with "yes", I'll know the person is a scientist or actree. If you answer "no", I know the person is neither a scientist nor an actress, so I can look for singers, politicians etc.
    I tried to cut the search room into halves. Not every simple question acieves this. Imagine I have to guess one of four colors red, green, blue and yellow. An optimal question would be "Is it green or blue?" If you say "Yes", it's either green or blue and the next question tells me the correct answer. If you said "no", it's either red or yellow and the next question will give the solution.
    :-)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    493
    Hmm...... I suspect we could debate the logic of that argument some; but in the interests of not making it too tough - and the fact it was so well written... I'l say no to both.
    There - happy?!?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,370
    #4. Are you a poiltician?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha Vailo
    #4. Are you a poiltician?
    No.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    652
    #5 Are you a singer?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainframes
    #5 Are you a singer?
    No.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,643

    Re: 20 Questions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Staiduk
    Quote Originally Posted by ignorant_ape
    Q#1 - are you male?


    YRS - APE
    No.

    (Matsukov - sorry; I took his first; 'cause it was numbered. )

    But I can answer yours anyway; yes; I'm Human - I kinda assumed that criteria. )
    I sort of remember an episode of "What's My Line?" where the mystery guest was "Francis the Talking Mule". Francis was accompanied by his trainer, who took care of the questions, since the guest could only speak in movies.

    You never know, hence the question.


    [edit/delete word, format]

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    4,070
    #6: Are you often on tv? (That means e.g. you are from time to time on shows, talks, etc. Not regularely).

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    493

    Re: 20 Questions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov
    Quote Originally Posted by Staiduk
    Quote Originally Posted by ignorant_ape
    Q#1 - are you male?


    YRS - APE
    No.

    (Matsukov - sorry; I took his first; 'cause it was numbered. )

    But I can answer yours anyway; yes; I'm Human - I kinda assumed that criteria. )
    I sort of remember an episode of "What's My Line?" where the mystery guest was "Francis the Talking Mule". Francis was accompanied by his
    by his trainer, who took care of the questions, since the guest could only speak in movies.

    You never know, hence the question.
    ROFL! I never saw that one - THAT would've been a hoot.
    OK; apologies - I should've clarified the fact the subject is Human.
    My favourite episode was when they had a well-known husband and wife team on WML. Due to their distinctive voices; the pair answered with knocks - one for no and two for yes. After a bit the announcer decided it was too confusing for the panel; and instructed them to give their answers verbally.

    At which point Gracie turned to her husband and said "Don't tell them anything, George!" The place totally came apart - and George Burns was laughing so hard he slid under the desk.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by kucharek
    #6: Are you often on tv? (That means e.g. you are from time to time on shows, talks, etc. Not regularely).
    Err.... I was; daily. Not now.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,133
    #7: Are you a compulsive liar?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    4,070
    #8: Do you have your own daily tv event (show, magazine, news)?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by worzel
    #7: Are you a compulsive liar?
    No; I'm very comitted to the truth.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by kucharek
    #8: Do you have your own daily tv event (show, magazine, news)?
    No.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    376
    For some reason, I got it in my head that it was the Iraqi Information Minister, dispite the fact that you said he was North American.

    #9 Are you above 50?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Reacher
    For some reason, I got it in my head that it was the Iraqi Information Minister, dispite the fact that you said he was North American.

    #9 Are you above 50?
    Yes.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,073
    "Are you...a mineral?''

    ''Yeah...''

    ''Are you...a tank?''

    ''...yeah!''

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    353
    #10 - Were you a newscaster?

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Roving Philosopher
    #10 - Were you a newscaster?
    No

  28. #28
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,039
    Does your last name begin with one of the first 10 consonants?

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullible Jones
    Does your last name begin with one of the first 10 consonants?
    Yes.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    853
    OK, here's what we know at this point.

    You are a female, that is not an actress, scientist, politician, newscaster, or singer, that was once on TV daily, but no longer, over the age of 50, "committed to the truth", and has a last name that starts with b, c, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, or m.

    #12 Was the TV show you were on any sort of cooking/home improvement show?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2009-Jan-19, 09:30 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2009-Jan-16, 09:00 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2009-Jan-04, 04:20 AM
  4. Episode 43: Questions, Questions #5
    By Fraser in forum Astronomy Cast
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2007-Jul-06, 03:33 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2004-Mar-09, 07:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •