Page 52 of 414 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 12410

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

It amuses me when people say "First world problems!" dismissively, as if that means the problems aren't serious. Well, if you live in the Arctic you deal with Arctic problems; if you live in the jungle you deal with jungle problems. If you live in the first world, that's the kind of problems you have...
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Getting tired of eating pemmican. Polar bears keep stealing my lunch. Can't get the sled dogs to stop barking when I'm trying to sleep. #arctic_problems

We now have three related threads:
    Trival stuff that amuses
    Trival stuff that bugs
    Non-trival stuff that annoys (bugs)

I suppose we now need a thread on "Non-trival stuff that amuses", to complete the set.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I suppose we now need a thread on "Non-trival stuff that amuses", to complete the set.
    You just had to say that, didn't you?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Good idea SWIFT! Sorry about multiples.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    It amuses me when people say "First world problems!" dismissively, as if that means the problems aren't serious. Well, if you live in the Arctic you deal with Arctic problems; if you live in the jungle you deal with jungle problems. If you live in the first world, that's the kind of problems you have...
    I think you mean "third world" problems. The First World countries are the economic giants; their problems affect everyone, by definition. Third World are at the bottom of the heap; their problems are minor and easily dismissed, again by definition.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I think you mean "third world" problems. The First World countries are the economic giants; their problems affect everyone, by definition. Third World are at the bottom of the heap; their problems are minor and easily dismissed, again by definition.
    mmm... I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. First world problems include dropping your $600 cell phone in a toilet or catching all green lights so that you can't text your friends. Things like your seat heaters don't work anymore or your sushi bill was $200 also count.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
    ... or catching all green lights so that you can't text your friends.
    When did that stop anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I've never heard anyone use the phrase "Third world problems!" to dismiss something. I'm not sure it would amuse me if they did.

I've never heard anyone use the phrase "Third world problems!" to dismiss something. I'm not sure it would amuse me if they did.
    I've seen it (once) applied to race.

What's a person supposed to do, change their skin pigment and pretend to be someone else?

Most everyone has problems in the context of their lives.

It amuses me when people say "First world problems!"...
    My mother once told me that poor men have problems and rich men have problems.
    If you have to choose, pick the rich man's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
    mmm... I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. First world problems include dropping your $600 cell phone in a toilet or catching all green lights so that you can't text your friends. Things like your seat heaters don't work anymore or your sushi bill was $200 also count.
    Sorry, misunderstood. The example helps.

And I would be dismissive of "first world problems."

Yeah, having a $200 sushi bill is a bummer, but you can afford $200 worth of sushi!

I'm with Extravoice. I'd rather have that problem than not be able to buy enough food to feed my kids.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

I see "First World Problems" as an expression of, yes, rather trivial things that bug people when others have much worse problems. An example would be losing sleep over whether or not you will be allowed to buy that really expensive thing you want (but not need), rather than losing sleep over whether or not you will be able to scrounge up enough money to feed your children AND pay your bills this month. The former is clearly a FWP. It's also a somewhat self-ironic thing to say.

I've always looked at "First World Problems" as a form of self-deprecation. The person is complaining about something that they feel is valid to them, but also acknowledging that it's trivial compared to problems faced by others.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    I've always looked at "First World Problems" as a form of self-deprecation. The person is complaining about something that they feel is valid to them, but also acknowledging that it's trivial compared to problems faced by others.
    I agree, when it's you saying it about yourself. Saying it about other people's problems (which is how I hear it used often) can sometimes come off as presumptuous, as if it's mocking or belittling something someone else considers important. And not knowing their situation, maybe it is. In the example given of losing a cell phone, for instance, maybe there's some important info stored on it (last pics of a late loved one, honeymoon photos, etc.)

I agree, when it's you saying it about yourself. Saying it about other people's problems (which is how I hear it used often) can sometimes come off as presumptuous, as if it's mocking or belittling something someone else considers important. And not knowing their situation, maybe it is. In the example given of losing a cell phone, for instance, maybe there's some important info stored on it (last pics of a late loved one, honeymoon photos, etc.)
    Ah, true. I've only ever seen it used a twitter tag added by the poster, or a jibe on a TV show where one regular mocks another but all in fun, or mostly so. I think it was NCIS:LA.
    I'm Not Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    My mother once told me that poor men have problems and rich men have problems.
    If you have to choose, pick the rich man's problems.
    Related quote: Money won't buy happiness, but it makes misery a lot more comfortable.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

And another related, from my mother: It's just a easy to fall in love with a rich girl as a poor one. Didn't happen, however.

In my mind, there are two classes of first-world problems. The first is things that a real problem that admittedly wouldn't exist in a society without certain advantages--a friend's fiancťe is having trouble raising the money to pay for nursing school. The second is things that are trivial even in that society, like getting to the restaurant when you're hungry and discovering that there's an hour wait.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The ones I usually see are things like, "Got to the hotel with my iPhone and my Kindle charger. It's gonna be a long weekend."
    I'm Not Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    My observations tell me that most people aren't aware that it is happening. They just complain without considering how trivial it is.

I am sometimes amused by a coworker who pushes everything to the last minute. It's like watching a slow train wreck. There is always an excuse of "too busy" or "family." I know that to be rarely true, but he tells himself that. I'm less amused when the duties then fall on me to finish the project in a rush.

I was reading a book review where the reviewer complained about the writer's account of his "accent" of Mount Everest. By which I can only assume he means that the author talked only in a funny accent while making the climb. (Yes, I know the reviewer meant "ascent".)

A friend of mine from high school asked on Facebook "If you had three wishes, what would you wish for?"

1) I wished that the person who ruled the world to be my personal assistant. 2) For the pet of my choice to be: self sufficient, self cleaning and the same size as the day I bought him, so long I shall live. (He can get on with his life once I am gone.) When asked about my third wish, I said I was holding in reserve, just in case wishes one and two turned ugly. Pretty funny, right?

Before anyone could comment on my nit-witti-ness, another friend from high school chimed in that they wanted $100,000 "to end all disease, hunger, poverty, etc. in the world". After reading a few incredulous replies, a few people obviously suspected that this person merely stated a fancy way of asking for large sum of money. Then I remembered this person was very sweet, but dumb as a post 23 years ago and couldn't have changed much in such a short time. I think they were trying to name a really big number, but failed.

I still clicked the "like" button for having better intentions than me.
    Solfe

When doctors say, "The patient had underwent a procedure..."

Should be "undergone."

Hmm. "Underwent" is clearly incorrect, and Buttercup is right to say it is "undergone". However...

The past simple of "go" is "went" whereas the past participle of "go" is either "gone" or "been" - the latter being used when one has returned.

So logically "undergone a procedure" should mean you have departed as a result of a procedure, whereas "underbeen a procedure" should mean you have returned from it.

But it doesn't. There's no such word as "underbeen", which bugs me.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I was reading a book review where the reviewer complained about the writer's account of his "accent" of Mount Everest. By which I can only assume he means that the author talked only in a funny accent while making the climb. (Yes, I know the reviewer meant "ascent".)
    "I 'ave reach-ed zee top of zee moun-taine!"

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    ... Before anyone could comment on my nit-witti-ness, another friend from high school chimed in that they wanted $100,000 "to end all disease, hunger, poverty, etc. in the world". ... I still clicked the "like" button for having better intentions than me.
    I dunno. It sounds to me that he felt he could end all "disease, hunger, poverty, etc," but only if someone paid him to do it.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

I had my baby shower today. There was at least one person there from every stage of my life in Washington--a friend from the first couple of years I lived here, a friend from when I was living in another city, several college friends, a former coworker, and a couple of new friends. If only one of my childhood friends had taken me up on the invitation and made the trek, it would have been a perfect sequence of my life!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Cougar's thread "Does this sentence have any meaning?" asks a legal question that reminds me of a law challenged friend. He was a very nice guy, but spent too much time getting into trouble in really strange ways. He was a little too honest to be a good criminal. For example:

Police Officer: "Joe, er... Mr. Smith. Er. Look Joe, have you done any drugs today? I don't want to ask, but you were driving a little erratically back there."
    Joe Smith: "Yes, this morning a took some drugs before breakfast. That was hours ago, I don't think that would have affected my driving now."
    Police Officer: "Ok, Joe. Er, Mr Smith. Do you have any drugs now?"
    Joe Smith: "No, I left them at home in my sock drawer."
    Police Officer: "Good. Now can I see you driver's license and registration? Oh, and what do you have at home?"
    Joe Smith "Ok, I here they are. At home? Let's see..."

It's a bad sign when the police know your name before pulling you over.

One of the most amusing things I have heard or seen was after this guy lost his license and registration (I think it was DWI). This wasn't amusing, what was amusing was he took the license plate off of his trailer and put it on a car and drove around with one tiny plate instead of two plates. The officers who stopped him were completely perplexed when they asked him if he was trying to bluff his way through the stop and he answered "yes."

I don't know how he got out of most of the trouble he dug himself into without wearing prison orange. I had a couple of working theories, such as he wanted the learn law the hard away or he was just crazy. As I said before, he was super nice guy, but clearly, was not operating normally.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I had my baby shower today. There was at least one person there from every stage of my life in Washington--a friend from the first couple of years I lived here, a friend from when I was living in another city, several college friends, a former coworker, and a couple of new friends. If only one of my childhood friends had taken me up on the invitation and made the trek, it would have been a perfect sequence of my life!
    Consider me as there in spirit! So happy for you.