Page 5 of 416 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Our plant had regular blood drives and I almost always participated. One time, we had a summer hire in our Unit - a very charming and intelligent engineering student - who decided she wanted to donate. So she did.

And passed out afterward.

Scared the bejeebers out of us, but she was fine after a short nap.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I got to about 8 gallons (over 60 pints) before I was forced to stop due to health issues.

At one point, I was called for a local drive and didn't think twice about the call because I was planning on donating anyway. When I got there, I was whisked in front of everyone else, and it was explained to me that my blood was going directly for pediatric use with a hint of what the patient was suffering from. (I wish I could remember). It really reinforced the idea of donating, especially knowing my O- is considered a universal donor.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    There was great excitement in my home town when someone realized there was a page captioned "Lawyers - Lie".
    I have to wonder who would advertise under "Lie."

When little kids mispronounce proper names, like "Noomi" for "Snoopy" (the Peanuts character) -- my nephew, when he was little. Or they do spontaneous things like toddle past with a nap blanket draped over their heads (a friend's 1-1/2 year old son recently).

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    When my oldest was a toddler, we saw her try to sneak down the hall into the kitchen... When she spotted my wife and me she held up her blankie... like 'you can't see me, just my blankie out for a snack...' thanks for calling that to mind, Buttercup! And she called berries "Binjies"

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I have to wonder who would advertise under "Lie."
    Lie Detectors, as I recall.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I just returned from donating blood. They give you a rubber block to squeeze on and put it inside a surgical glove for sanitary purposes. About halfway through the draw I happened to look over at my hand and discovered that every time I squeezed, one finger of the glove would inflate with air and point out across the room. After two or three cycles I was cracking up and had to turn my head and attempt to think about something else.

While on the topic of giving blood: If you're able, please do it. My late mother owed the last 2-1/2 years of her life to transfusions at the rate of two units about every two weeks. That's around 130 units that some wonderful person donated. At one unit every eight weeks, it'll take me 20 years to make up for all that. I'm about five years in now and will keep it going as long as they'll have me.
    I used to give regularly until for some reason I tested positive for HIV. It was a false positive, but at the time they still didn't let you donate with that result. They finally relaxed the rule, and I started donating again, but then I had some problems with blood clots that put me on anticoagulants, and they don't want my blood any more. Think I put in four or five gallons before I had to stop.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

I donated regularly from about the age of 18 till around the age of 50; for most of that time 4 to 6 times a year, so I was in the multiple gallons range. They start rejecting me for occasional high blood pressure (why that would be grounds for rejection, I never understood). With my current schedule it is pretty hard for to carve out the time for it anyway, so I just kind of gave up. I'll now do it once in a great while if there is a particularly convenient one.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I've donated more or less regularly for the last twenty years. About ten years ago I was on a medication for about a year that raised my blood pressure and they wouldn't take my blood then. I think the rule about blood pressure is more to protect the donor rather than the blood supply.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingSkyward View Post
    When my oldest was a toddler, we saw her try to sneak down the hall into the kitchen... When she spotted my wife and me she held up her blankie... like 'you can't see me, just my blankie out for a snack...' thanks for calling that to mind, Buttercup! And she called berries "Binjies"
    She obviously mistook you for The Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    LOL!

The bus only goes by our donation center every hour. When I'm without a car, as I am now, it's really inconvenient. And I am inclined, if I have missed the bus, to just start walking downtown--it's probably about a mile and a half to the transit center. There are other bus lines which have stops between downtown and the donation center, but I never think, "Oh, I'll walk six blocks and catch the 13 instead." It's always the whole walk, and I'm concerned about passing out, though I never have.

My sister did once, though. We were in high school, and they had a Halloween blood drive. It was her senior year, the first time she was eligible to donate. I was a freshman. People came running up to me to tell me that she'd passed out. She had dressed as a vampire that day . . . .

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    'Cause you're pronouncing it wrong? It's "lass-oh," long O.
    I was going to make the same comment, but then I looked it up in the dictionary and found that apparently "lass-oo" is an accepted pronunciation. Who knew?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Snarky: Patients who resist and resist having a necessary surgery (gangrene infection, ruptured cyst, etc.), only finally to go through with it after delaying and making it worse; who would, if it were cosmetic surgery, be knocking down the OR doors and flinging themselves onto the table.

And this applies to both genders.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    ... apparently "lass-oo" is an accepted pronunciation. ...
    Not where it matters, it's not.
    :indignant smiley:
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    Yeah...that was the "problem"...I can't make a "by hand" patty to save my life.
    Not making fun of R.A.F. (I use the expression too), but ".... to save my life" is a funny expression. As if, in this example, somehow making a hamburger patty would save your life. "If only he had learned to make a patty, he might still be with us". Or like a madman would run up to you and demand you make a patty or he'd kill you.

I always get a chuckle out of people who set their windshield wipers to all-out when heavy rain suddenly hits, and then ten minutes later when there isn't even a drop on the car, the wipers are still going. I've seen it dozens, maybe hundreds of times, and I still get that abdominal workout type laughter.

Seems there's hardly any shoppers in the grocery store, until you go to checkout: Everyone else is there too, and quite a few! ;-)

Seeing how crazy the Internet has gone over MSL controller Bobak Ferdowsi's hairdo.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Not where it matters, it's not.
    :indignant smiley:
    Well, yes, there is that. ::laugh::
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Watching my cat fall off the chair not paying attention, and trying to pretend she did it on purpose. That cracks me up :>

Years ago I had two cats - Big Cat and Little Cat... yeah, no imagination - who loved chasing each other. One time LC was chasing BC around the house. BC ran into the living room, headed for the TV stand, jumped onto the cabinet, onto the TV, and onto the hinged top of a trash container. He promptly dropped out of sight.

There was no sound for a good 30 seconds. Just as I was starting to get worried, I heard a soft and plaintive "Mew" from inside the container. So I pulled him out.

LC - who had broken off the chase when BC made that first jump - just sat and watched.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Also long ago, and the cats are no longer with us…
    3 cats, Kiri and the twins – couldn’t tell the twins apart at the speed of the story…

Kiri sleeping on the seat of the bentwood rocker… twins in a chase thru the house…
    Twin one leaps and hits the back of the rocker, which goes about half way back and is just starting to come forward as twin 2 hits it.

The rocker goes all the way over, launching a very confused Kiri … apex at about 3 feet, and the look on her face was priceless… “I don’t remember launching into the aIIRRRRR!”…

Quote Originally Posted by LookingSkyward View Post
    Watching my cat fall off the chair not paying attention, and trying to pretend she did it on purpose. That cracks me up :>
    We had a cat, Doris, when I was growing up. I believe Doris was brain damaged, she was the only cat I've ever known that was a klutz. She would routinely run into walls and fall off of things. She liked to sleep on top of the TV, big old console with all the tubes inside was nice and warm when it was on. Only problem is that she would roll over in her sleep and crash to the floor, not waking up till she hit. She would look around a little dazed, jump back up on the set, and go back to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Seems there's hardly any shoppers in the grocery store, until you go to checkout: Everyone else is there too, and quite a few! ;-)
    Mrs M. causes those pileups. Often I'm waiting in the front of the store for her to finish shopping, chatting idly with the decidedly un-busy cashiers. As she makes her slow path up the last aisle, pausing to consider things, everybody else in the store lines up ahead of her. Honest.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Seeing how crazy the Internet has gone over MSL controller Bobak Ferdowsi's hairdo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_m8f7x7Dt1k1rdpa5go1_500.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	17394
    McKayla is not impressed by his hair.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    McKayla is not impressed by his hair.
    I thought it was Gabby with the hair controversy.

Amusing: The "Site News And Administration" section just went to:

Threads: 0

Last Post: Never
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Not making fun of R.A.F. (I use the expression too), but ".... to save my life" is a funny expression. As if, in this example, somehow making a hamburger patty would save your life. "If only he had learned to make a patty, he might still be with us". Or like a madman would run up to you and demand you make a patty or he'd kill you.
    I, too, use the expression sometimes, but it amuses me for a different reason.

Person A says, "I am not very good at playing the violin." Meaning he's had lessons but hasn't reached a high standard yet, or he simply doesn't have the aptitude. Person B responds with, "I couldn't play the violin to save my life." Meaning he's had few or no lessons, and has no aptitude, and so, naturally enough, he isn't very good. But the amusing part (IMO) is that he apparently believes that he ought to be able to play to a professional standard if his life were threatened.

Unnecessary second example:

Man with gun: "What are the names of the Galilean moons of Jupiter?"
    Victim: "I have no idea. I've never studied astronomy."
    Man with gun pulls back hammer with a loud click.
    Victim: "Okay, okay! Er, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I was more than amused once while participating in a wreath laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The first salute cannon fired a fraction of a second after a nearby spectator audibly passed some gas. I nearly split a gut trying not to laugh while standing at attention. I think my uniform stayed at attention, but I was wiggling and jiggling inside it.
    I just remembered a similar incident during an equally solemn occasion, a military funeral. We were just about to start playing a hymn as the casket bearers were carrying the deceased soldier's casket from the chapel to the horse-drawn caisson when one of the horses let a loud one. We somehow kept the music in tune and in tempo while shaking inside our uniforms.