Page 381 of 385 FirstFirst ... 281331371379380381382383 ... LastLast
Results 11,401 to 11,430 of 11541

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    This is something that could have gone into the "bugs you" thread but it amuses me how much it really bugs my wife. The day after Christmas - called Boxing Day here - fresh Hot Cross Buns and Easter Eggs appeared on Supermarket shelves. I bought some marked-down buns today partly to eat but also to tease my wife. She ate one but did indulge in some mutterings about 'out of season' foods.
    Ha! Now you see, Christmas? The shoe’s on the other foot! If you keep encroaching on the temporal space of other holidays, other holidays will encroach on your space!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Last night for our script read, we did a script that started out with a hint that an executed criminal's brain had been taken by a scientist, and we all worked out where that was going immediately. Then it turned out the scientist was using it to create artificial brains for robots, and we solved that one immediately as well. The script still thought its reveal at the end was a surprise!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Was it an early draft of “Young Frankenstein?”
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Why - Yes - I - Am - A - Normal - Carbon - Based - Human - Why - Do - You - Ask - Beep - Boop
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    In the USA we have to get through Valentine's Day first. The big candy display appeared on Dec 26. Which is not called Boxing Day here.

We're going to leave our Christmas tree up and redecorate it for Valentine's Day, I think. The lights make me happy.
    It does sometimes seem like just one big marketing day after another!
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Jan-04 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    It does sometimes seem like just one big marketing day after another!
    Yup. The Easter candy will appear on Feb 15. There'll be a lull after that, at least.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Even with all the Valentines Day stuff out there will be probably be people who will forget until Feb 14.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Even with all the Valentines Day stuff out there will be probably be people who will forget until Feb 14.
    We have over a month to get numb to the ubiquity until it fades into the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    We have over a month to get numb to the ubiquity until it fades into the background.
    I remember working at the call center and on Feb 14 you would get a bunch of guys looking for room and maybe a package for that night. Of course the hotel they were looking for were sold out.

... guys looking for room and maybe a package for that night.
    I stared at that for a while, with all sorts of visions incompatible with Valentine's Day dancing in my head. We're talking about a package deal involving room and dinner, or some such thing? Not a room with a "package" in it?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I stared at that for a while, with all sorts of visions incompatible with Valentine's Day dancing in my head. We're talking about a package deal involving room and dinner, or some such thing? Not a room with a "package" in it?

Grant Hutchison
    Yes a package deal, must of gotten use to just calling a room and package, sometimes it was a meal or champagne in the room or something else the hotel considered romantic. For somethings it takes time to arrange and setup and some people don't get it, plus there other people looking for that date.

Yes a package deal, must of gotten use to just calling a room and package, sometimes it was a meal or champagne in the room or something else the hotel considered romantic. For somethings it takes time to arrange and setup and some people don't get it, plus there other people looking for that date.
    Well, that's a relief. I was having post-traumatic flashbacks to that episode when people kept explaining "girl scout cookies" by repeating the phrase "girl scout cookies".

Grant Hutchison

Yes a package deal, must of gotten use to just calling a room and package, [...]
    Understandable, since I've seen packages offered as multiple, optional add-ons: Package $, Package $$, Package $$$, etc.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Was it an early draft of “Young Frankenstein?”
    It would have been very early indeed!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Father Time called. She's running late.

It's a clock repair place, she's coming to pick up my grandmother's clock to get fixed!

Father Time called. She's running late.
    Hey, if they want to be called by their own pronoun, I'm hip.

As I understand it, it's her husband who does the actual repair, she does pick-up and delivery, answers the phone, and, I'd guess, keeps the books!
    It's going to take until March to get my clock back. I miss it; it makes my house sound like my grandmother's house.

Today while starting tog et things straightened out in my room I finally confirmed I have two copies of Green Mars and found the DVD for a game.

In watching a video on the BBC site about Mt. Etna, early on you see a monitoring station, and about 26 seconds in they have a literal red alert. Sounds a lot like a Star Trek red alert too. Serious subject, but that amused me.

https://www.bbc.com/reel/playlist/ul...?vpid=p0888z40

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I forgot to mail my mother's already belated birthday card twice while out running errands. Fortunately, a friend and her mom dropped by to give me an old monitor, and I was able to ask them to drop it in a mailbox for me. So I e-mailed Mom and told her that, if it's not there by Friday, it's no longer my fault!

"You can't erase icing."

Listening to the most recent this Week in Tech, one the semi regulars is a Jesuit priest who was sent there to setup a podcasting studio. Well they started joking about how the Holy Father was upset about Cyberpunk 2077.

Back in 1926, in his book The Gentle Art Of Tramping, Stephen Graham described a way of introducing a bit of random variety into urban walks, by choosing a starting point and then following a rule of turning alternately left and right at each junction (getting home again was left as an exercise for the reader).
    I'm now back to being trapped, by law, within the boundaries of my small city at present, something that irks me because I have many more close encounters with other people when I'm walking in town than if I were permitted to head into the hills just behind the town, as is my wont.

Anyway, I've invented a new version of Graham's game, which also serves to reduce the potential for close encounters with other people when I'm taking my regular exercise in the open air. Whenever I find myself approaching a family group with small children, a dog-walker, a person engrossed in their mobile phone, or a mask-wearer, I immediately identify the nearest turn-off ahead or behind me, and take that route. Then I carry on as straight as I can until I have another encounter. It's working well to reduce my general level of irritation, and give me new scenery to look at. (I did become so preoccupied with the game today that I had to phone my wife to tell her I'd be late home, however.)

Grant Hutchison

Listening to the most recent this Week in Tech, one the semi regulars is a Jesuit priest who was sent there to setup a podcasting studio. Well they started joking about how the Holy Father was upset about Cyberpunk 2077.
    Is anyone NOT upset about that game? I swear I haven’t seen even one positive comment on it anywhere.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Is anyone NOT upset about that game? I swear I haven’t seen even one positive comment on it anywhere.
    Oh, it's a game. It's being advertised on the side of the No.22 bus that passes the bottom of our road. I thought it was a film. I was wondering what the movie had done to upset the Pope particularly, given how high the bar has been set by other movies.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Oh, it's a game. It's being advertised on the side of the No.22 bus that passes the bottom of our road. I thought it was a film. I was wondering what the movie had done to upset the Pope particularly, given how high the bar has been set by other movies.

Grant Hutchison
    It’s a joke. I mentioned the game over here:

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...46#post2526946

This game has been very heavily discussed on tech sites that also cover games for some time. I’d been thinking of buying it (I rarely buy new computer games anymore but this sounded interesting) but I made a point of waiting until after it had been out at least a few weeks to check post-release reviews (I’ve been burned before).

As it turns out, it has absolutely game breaking bugs on console versions. There are YouTube videos that are pretty funny: invisible but solid walls, disappearing walls, people walking in the air, faceless clay people, lots of other things. The PC version is better, but still has a good number of bugs and a lot of promised features weren’t included. Stockholders have sued the company, the company is refunding orders, console games have been removed from stores. It’s a train-wreck.

The game does have mature themes, but I think the joke about the pope is the idea he *tried* to play it.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Jan-07 at 09:22 PM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    It’s a joke. I mentioned the game over here:

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...46#post2526946

This game has been very heavily discussed on tech sites that also cover games for some time. I’d been thinking of buying it (I rarely buy new computer games anymore but this sounded interesting) but I made a point of waiting until after it had been out at least a few weeks to check post-release reviews (I’ve been burned before).

As it turns out, it has absolutely game breaking bugs on console versions. There are YouTube videos that are pretty funny: invisible but solid walls, disappearing walls, people walking in the air, faceless clay people, lots of other things. The PC version is better, but still has a good number of bugs and a lot of promised features weren’t included. Stockholders have sued the company, the company is refunding orders, console games have been removed from stores. It’s a train-wreck.

The game does have mature themes, but I think the joke about the pope is the idea he *tried* to play it.
    Yeah, I figured it out once I knew it was a game. Pope Francis does have a little history with the gaming community, but then again the Jesuits of my acquaintance have a distinctly edgy sense of humour.

Grant Hutchison

I just heard of the Covid mullet and had a chuckle. I’ve had something like that, since I don’t have that much trouble cutting what I can properly see, but it is easy to make mistakes in the back. I do cut in back when it gets annoying though, when the ends start making my skin itch. Once I get vaccinated, I expect a proper haircut will be one of the first things I’ll get done.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I just heard of the Covid mullet and had a chuckle. I’ve had something like that, since I don’t have that much trouble cutting what I can properly see, but it is easy to make mistakes in the back. I do cut in back when it gets annoying though, when the ends start making my skin itch. Once I get vaccinated, I expect a proper haircut will be one of the first things I’ll get done.
    Hair? What's that? Oh, yeah, I think I might still have had some in college. 50 years ago.
    I did get the fringe trimmed yesterday.

Dave Matthews Band has a song with a funny line I can't look up, which is kind of genius. It goes something like: "If I was light it'd take me 7500 years to get to Eta Carinae". I don't know what the name of the song is, but I've caught it on the radio a couple times.

They have been performing live from home this last year, and what makes it impossible to look up is that he changes the line for different destinations. Sometimes he sticks with Eta Carinae but changes the time to 15,000 year presumably because he means to stop. Other times changes it to Betelgeuse and uses the appropriate time/distance. Today, I heard a version where he said: "If I was lighter, it'd take me 14 years to get to Jupiter".

That is really whimsical.
    Solfe

Hair? What's that? Oh, yeah, I think I might still have had some in college. 50 years ago.
    I did get the fringe trimmed yesterday.
    Well, I really wish the hair on top of my head grew like the hair on the sides and back of my head. I currently have a lot of hair on my head, just not in the right places.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser