Page 373 of 383 FirstFirst ... 273323363371372373374375 ... LastLast
Results 11,161 to 11,190 of 11465

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

We ran out of candy two hours before the official end of Trick Or Treating times set by our town. We also took a cooler out and offered "adult treats" (beer) to the parents.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

And just to distract everyone, have a look at this article from the BBC about a 'runaway train' being saved from disaster by a 'tale of a whale' - cue Kirk Douglas singing from "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea".I think the best suggestion for a headline I have read so far was "stopping all cetaceans".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54780430

Wow, that’s unreal. Incredibly lucky driver - though now I’m curious how this happened. Was it faulty hardware, or was the driver asleep or impaired? But the artist probably saved a life, if inadvertently, with his safety whale. He built well.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I think the things are getting to Alton Brown.
    https://twitter.com/altonbrown/statu...875646978?s=20
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Wow, that’s unreal. Incredibly lucky driver - though now I’m curious how this happened. Was it faulty hardware, or was the driver asleep or impaired? But the artist probably saved a life, if inadvertently, with his safety whale. He built well.
    He was surprised it held up, in fact. He said something about the tails being "plastic"; presumably fiberglass or some such.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I've just started reading "The Rook" by Daniel O'Malley, because I enjoyed the TV adaptation. I'm amused that the protagonist, portrayed as being very smart, applies two raw steaks to her two black eyes early in the book. What is she, a cartoon character?

Grant Hutchison

I saw a comment that referred to an iPad as an “Eloi oriented device.” It made me laugh, not often you see an H. G. Wells reference used like that.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I saw a comment that referred to an iPad as an “Eloi oriented device.” It made me laugh, not often you see an H. G. Wells reference used like that.
    I shudder to think what a Morlock oriented device would look like. Made of cast metal and powered by steam maybe.

Indeed. As my brother-in-law disparagingly remarked a decade ago, "Well, that's for media consumers, isn't it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Selenite View Post
    I shudder to think what a Morlock oriented device would look like. Made of cast metal and powered by steam maybe.
    I think it would look a lot like Facebook.

Grant Hutchison

I’m picturing a mid ‘80s IBM AT (they were built like tanks) running Unix. (Morlocks are actually supposed to be pretty good maintaining and running technology, they just tend to have trouble with sunlight, some issues with hygiene and have unusual culinary proclivities.)

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Indeed. As my brother-in-law disparagingly remarked a decade ago, "Well, that's for media consumers, isn't it?"
    I actually ended up buying an iPad Pro sometime back, which is part of what amuses me about the Eloi line. I swore I wouldn’t for a long time since I don’t like the extremely closed software platform and extreme hand-holding, but other tablets have their own issues doing what I want.

I do use it mostly for media and I run some financial software on it, because there is evidence it has less intrusion risk than my Windows machines. That’s one place the tighter software control can help.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I’m picturing a mid ‘80s IBM AT (they were built like tanks) running Unix. (Morlocks are actually supposed to be pretty good maintaining and running technology, they just tend to have trouble with sunlight, some issues with hygiene and have unusual culinary proclivities.)
    I worked with those ATs back in the 80s (yes, I'm dating myself here). They were built like tanks, but those 20 MB hard drives they used in the early models would crash just by looking at them a certain way.

I guess as far as trivial stuff goes, I replaced my $70 Moto E4 with a $250 Moto G Power. Much nicer phone, and all the things that the old one did horribly (if they worked at all) seem to work fine on this one so far.

There was a newspaper article years and years ago where the writer described his iPod as looking like it came from the future— “A future where nobody has fingerprints and there are no sharp edges to scratch things on.” As cases were not yet widespread, his solution to preventing scratches on his iPod was actually painting the back with clear nail polish.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    I worked with those ATs back in the 80s (yes, I'm dating myself here). They were built like tanks, but those 20 MB hard drives they used in the early models would crash just by looking at them a certain way.
    I actually had one when I was in high school (my Dad worked for the company).
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    There was a newspaper article years and years ago where the writer described his iPod as looking like it came from the future— “A future where nobody has fingerprints and there are no sharp edges to scratch things on.” As cases were not yet widespread, his solution to preventing scratches on his iPod was actually painting the back with clear nail polish.
    That's such an Applyte solution. Most people would just accept that everything eventually gets scratched, and it doesn't interfere with function.

(My current watch has a mass of scratches across the face, and I'll actually be slightly sad to replace it when it eventually stops working, because the scratches are of sentimental value. They make me smile each time I notice them.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I actually had one when I was in high school (my Dad worked for the company).
    Oh, don't get me started on punch card stories.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I’m about to go to bed, and for some reason, I felt like playing this music:

Georgia on my mind

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    Dating yourself? My first computer was an Apple II+. My second computer was an AST AT clone, running at 10 mhz with zero wait state RAM (that last was a major advertising point because it meant it was slightly faster) and a 40 mb Maxtor drive (I was sick of swapping floppy disks on my Apple II so I wanted what was then as much capacity as I could reasonably afford - unfortunately it didn’t mean the end of disk swaps). The hard drive died in maybe a year and I vowed never to buy another Maxtor.

That AST computer helped me get a job, since I soon was able to pass myself off as a PC support expert as well as a programmer. (And in reality, while I played games, a lot of my fun was learning the machine and software environment in detail). At work, they still had plenty of IBM ATs, so I’m familiar with them too.

Funny thing, that was when IBM had introduced PS/2s, and when I wrote purchase orders for new computers I requested clones, and part of my justification was that the PS/2s were no longer PC hardware compatible. Higher up, they were intensely pro-IBM, but it would have been a major hassle maintaining the two architectures with ISA and MCA cards, and we could get about double the number of computers for the same price.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I’d rather have that myself

I have a recipe from Walt Disney World for Stir Fry. This was from back in the day when you could ask a restaurant there for a recipe and they'd give it to you. This particular recipe is well suited for my cooking ability, it is structured like it was meant to handed to rank amateur.

It calls for a splash of white wine. We don't really like white wine for drinking in my house, so my wife requested Rosé. I told her, "Look, this is the first time I've made this. Let's not make it any more dangerous than it needs to be by changing stuff."

The second oddity of the recipe is it calls for "7 snow peas per plate", so that is how I made it. My kids really like veggies and got all upset. My oldest son Paul, went back in the kitchen and made up all kinds of vegetables to go with the stirfry. He actually knows how to cook, it was great.

So now instead of "the Disney Recipe" we call it "The Mouse and Paul" recipe.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I have a recipe from Walt Disney World for Stir Fry. This was from back in the day when you could ask a restaurant there for a recipe and they'd give it to you. This particular recipe is well suited for my cooking ability, it is structured like it was meant to handed to rank amateur.

It calls for a splash of white wine. We don't really like white wine for drinking in my house, so my wife requested Rosé. I told her, "Look, this is the first time I've made this. Let's not make it any more dangerous than it needs to be by changing stuff."

The second oddity of the recipe is it calls for "7 snow peas per plate", so that is how I made it. My kids really like veggies and got all upset. My oldest son Paul, went back in the kitchen and made up all kinds of vegetables to go with the stirfry. He actually knows how to cook, it was great.

So now instead of "the Disney Recipe" we call it "The Mouse and Paul" recipe.
    I often buy four-packs of mini white wine at the grocery, just for cooking. Each bottle is 187 ml or abut one glass, just right for a dish. And it’s usually Sauvignon Blanc to avoid the oak taste of Chardonnay.

On its college football tonight, CBS Sports had a graphic that placed Ball State University in the town of "Munchie," Indiana. Even I knew that was wrong ... an old friend of mine was a Munchkin ... er, Muncie-ian."

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    On its college football tonight, CBS Sports had a graphic that placed Ball State University in the town of "Munchie," Indiana. Even I knew that was wrong ... an old friend of mine was a Munchkin ... er, Muncie-ian."
    Autocorrect strikes again!

Or maybe Muncie IN is promoting a food festival with a temporary name change.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I often buy four-packs of mini white wine at the grocery, just for cooking. Each bottle is 187 ml or abut one glass, just right for a dish. And it’s usually Sauvignon Blanc to avoid the oak taste of Chardonnay.
    That could come in handy. The only other recipe I have from Walt Disney World is for a salad dressing. It also uses wine.
    Solfe

A few houses with Christmas trees in their windows and exterior coloured lights in our neighbourhood this weekend, which was a bit of a shock to the system. But it's just for Diwali--they'll be gone again in a couple of days.

Grant Hutchison

Unlike here, where we've gone full-on Christmas in the stores. Ugh.

Unfortunately, the normal Diwali festivities have also been cancelled here but there is a 'Diwali Festival' of movies on SBS TV. My wife watched a Hindi language one last night . A musical, comedy & romance all in one. The subtitles are usually pretty good and, as seems typical for these films, every 4th or 5th line is in English and English words are peppered throughout the script.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Unfortunately, the normal Diwali festivities have also been cancelled here ...
    In the UK, we had a short-notice lockdown in the north of England (an area with a large Muslim population) which effectively cancelled Eid, and now there's another spanning Diwali. But the mass media are still catastrophizing about the prospect of "cancelling Christmas" if we don't turn around the current surge in Covid cases, and various people are making fatuous arguments for having some sort of "lockdown amnesty" so that people can visit each other on Christmas Day. If I were a British Muslim or Hindu, I'd be less than impressed.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    In the UK, we had a short-notice lockdown in the north of England (an area with a large Muslim population) which effectively cancelled Eid, and now there's another spanning Diwali. But the mass media are still catastrophizing about the prospect of "cancelling Christmas" if we don't turn around the current surge in Covid cases, and various people are making fatuous arguments for having some sort of "lockdown amnesty" so that people can visit each other on Christmas Day. If I were a British Muslim or Hindu, I'd be less than impressed.

Grant Hutchison
    All I really do on Christmas is go to the in-laws, eat Chinese food and watch Star Wars all day long. Disney+ has this feature where you can throw a party and sync up movie playback between households. Guess what my family is getting for Christmas? A gift card for Disney+ and another for the closest Chinese place to their house. I plan on running a Zoom meeting during the movies, so my family who talks over the good bits of Star Wars can participate.
    Solfe