Page 350 of 362 FirstFirst ... 250300340348349350351352360 ... LastLast
Results 10,471 to 10,500 of 10860

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Samoas are also Caramel deLites, Tagalongs are Peanut Butter Cookies, Do-si-dos are Peanut Butter Sandwiches, and Trefoils are Shortbreads.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Oh, and about the Samoas name: It's a play on the ever-popular campfire treat S'Mores.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    ... (the Girl Scouts don't bake their own cookies; they hire outside vendors to supply them). ...
    What!?! I am disillusioned … shattered, even.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Well you're a real tough cookie with a long history
    Yes, come to think of it, there is that use of "cookie," as in "he/she is a smart cookie." It's funny, because the definition is something like, "a person who is of the type mentioned." But I don't think this is the meaning that Grant was talking about.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Yes, come to think of it, there is that use of "cookie," as in "he/she is a smart cookie." It's funny, because the definition is something like, "a person who is of the type mentioned."
    Left over from the equal-opportunity slang usage for either "woman" or "man", I assume.
    And then there's the graphic expression "to toss one's cookies", presumably with some slight connection to the baked goods. And my wartime-aviator father used to refer to "dropping cookies" on Japanese positions in Burma. Very definitely not baked goods.
    So you can see why I didn't find "Girl Scout cookies" particularly self-explanatory when it appeared in a (for me) context-free sentence.

Grant Hutchison

There is a series of commericals here in Canada for a furniture store. There is this couple who are a bit pretentious and mispronounce the name of the store and they think they are in one this boutique furniture store. The latest ones is they think they are now influencers over their friends.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

As I was getting into the car a few minutes ago the wheel of an adjacent vehicle caught my eye. INIW it said. Wait, what? Oh, MINI.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    As I was getting into the car a few minutes ago the wheel of an adjacent vehicle caught my eye. INIW it said. Wait, what? Oh, MINI.
    Years ago we walked past the glass door of a bank in Nairobi. I'm always trying to pick up odd bits of language, so when I saw "TUO" written on the door, I made a mental note that "tuo" was Swahili for "bank". A few paces farther, and we passed another door marked "IN".

Grant Hutchison

Not long after I moved to Anchorage, I drove past the sign for a Chinese restaurant and noted the name "Fido". I thought to myself, way to perpetuate a stereotype folks. The next time I drove by, I was a bit silly to see the name was actually "Fudo".
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

We read Graham's schedule wrong, and he's just now leaving, half an hour late. The people at work called just after I'd realized this, and sounded really concerned--if he was this late, clearly something was wrong! He's never late!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Today is Caturday, which means it is time for me to do housecleaning because of cats tracking litter around. May as well get used to it, if the CDC is suggesting I stay out of the public. I am sure they meant that just against me and no one else, but I won't say anything about that.

According to Emmet Otter "You never get a fever when there ain't no hole in the washtub." Forget hand sanitizer, I'm buying a washtub.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Not long after I moved to Anchorage, I drove past the sign for a Chinese restaurant and noted the name "Fido". I thought to myself, way to perpetuate a stereotype folks. The next time I drove by, I was a bit silly to see the name was actually "Fudo".
    I wonder what that name comes from. It's actually not valid pinyin, as there is no "do" syllable. But "fudo" sounds like the Japanese transliteration of "food".
    As above, so below

I was listening to the radio tonight and heard, paraphrasing, “The NBA is cancelling all games until further notice, Tom Hanks and his wife tested positive for Covid-19, and, oh by the way, travel to and from Europe is suspended for a month.” Then they continued on about the ramifications of the game cancellations. Priorities and all that.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I was listening to the radio tonight and heard, paraphrasing, “The NBA is cancelling all games until further notice, Tom Hanks and his wife tested positive for Covid-19, and, oh by the way, travel to and from Europe is suspended for a month.” Then they continued on about the ramifications of the game cancellations. Priorities and all that.
    Non trivial, I'd think.

Non trivial, I'd think.
    The game cancellations they were focusing on seem pretty trivial to me.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The game cancellations they were focusing on seem pretty trivial to me.
    I think it was a joke.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I think it was a joke.
    I doubt it was a joke. I think the meaning was, perhaps it seems trivial, but in reality there are things like, who compensates for the lost revenues from tickets and TV, what about the players' salaries and the empty stadiums? In terms of economics, clearly the Europe travel is a bigger deal, but the games are certainly more important than a Hollywood actor getting the virus.
    As above, so below

I just have a hard time seeing anything trivial in the whole situation.

Yeah, I know a lot of small businesses (like my Ren faire boss) are hurting from lost income. For example, a lot of cons and things are being cancelled--which means that all those vendors who sell at cons are having to figure out how to make up for lost income. If you've had an event like that cancelled, consider seeking out the vendors online and buying that way.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I received a frankly racist email attachment about coronavirus today, but was amused by the opening lines:
    UK Virus alert
    The English are feeling the pinch in relation to the current situation and have therefore raised the threat alert from “Miffed” to “Peeved”; it may soon be raised further to “A bit cross”.

The English have not been “A bit cross” since 1940 when the tea supplies nearly ran out.

The virus has been recategorised from “Tiresome” to “A Bloomin' Nuisance” – a description last used in 1588 when the Spanish Armada was in the Channel.
    it goes downhill after that.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    It goes downhill after that.
    Nothing about a "foreign virus", I hope, and I will say no more on that.

Sounds like it was based on this, which is a joke “terror threat alert” claimed to be by John Cleese, but wasn’t:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/te...-threat-alert/

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I doubt it was a joke. I think the meaning was, perhaps it seems trivial, but in reality there are things like, who compensates for the lost revenues from tickets and TV, what about the players' salaries and the empty stadiums? In terms of economics, clearly the Europe travel is a bigger deal . . .
    [snip]
    They aren’t even in the same league.

I just have a hard time seeing anything trivial in the whole situation.
    Maybe you had to be there. Here were various serious subjects mentioned, some not mentioned that should have been, and they went on and on about not seeing basketball games for a bit. It felt similar to the toilet paper wars in terms of importance.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Sounds like it was based on this, which is a joke “terror threat alert” claimed to be by John Cleese, but wasn’t:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/te...-threat-alert/
    That's the one, with minor variations.
    I like the "English" section because it was so obviously written by an English person, as an exercise in self-mockery with a bit of self-congratulation thrown in. The other stuff (as Snopes points out) has that characteristic variable register and tone generated by multiple authorship, as perfected by Wikipedia.
    The whole "French surrender" thing, in particular, is just so lazy and tired and ignorant of history--not one of The Simpsons' finest contributions to popular culture.

Grant Hutchison

Every cloud ...
    The Times reports today that the latest al-Naba newsletter from the terrorist organization ISIS/ISIL/Daesh has warned its members against European travel.

Grant Hutchison

That at least in one place they not only binge buying toilet paper but laxatives.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Why, in England, is Leicester pronounced "Lester" and not "LIE kes ter" ?

I took my bicycle out for a ride this afternoon.
    Many people seem to be heeding the official advice. Traffic was light, and people and are apparently avoiding social gatherings by going for a walk around their neighborhood.

I couldn't help but think it sort of looked like the zombie apocalypse.
    Except for the dogs. Many "zombies" had their dogs with them.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Why, in England, is Leicester pronounced "Lester" and not "LIE kes ter" ?
    Same reason as for "Worcester" and "Gloucester". The "c" is silent in placenames ending in "cester", and has been since at least the eighteenth century.

Grant Hutchison