Page 13 of 416 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    What amuses me is that a title containing both nazis, religion and outer space is factually correct.
    Hitler and the other one?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

And the amazing untrue record for parsing failures goes to...
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Headline in the local sensationalistic newspaper:

"BUDDHA STATUE FOUND BY NAZIS COMES FROM OUTER SPACE"

What amuses me is that a title containing both nazis, religion and outer space is factually correct. The statue was found by a Nazi expedition, and it turns out it was made from a large meteorite fragment.
    Heh, that's a good one!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

"BUDDHA STATUE FOUND BY NAZIS COMES FROM OUTER SPACE"
    Proof that Elvis is going to marry Kim Kardashian at a ceremony officiated by the MiB, thus saving the Earth from the deadly gamma ray burst coming from the center of the galaxy, as predicted by the Mayans.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I love it when my rabbit puts his forepaws on my leg when seeking a treat, then happily stands on my foot while dining. Won't let me touch him though, too macho. I've attempted to address the asymmetry in a reasonable tone, but he ignores my pleas.

I was watching a rare showing of a Charlie Chan flick on Turner Classics tonight, and I'm reminded that the names of the three Chan actors -- Warner Oland, Sidney Toler, and Roland Winters -- are almost anagrams of one another. That's got to be a coincidence (none of the actors were Chinese, by the way), but an interesting one.

[Edit: as others pointed out, should have been "anagrams," not "acronyms."]
    Last edited by DonM435; 2012-Oct-01 at 11:38 PM.

I looked back and I don't think I have told this story before... I hope not anyway.

Friendly's is a restaurant that serves ice cream. They also have a meal deal for $10-12 (less for kids) which includes a beverage, a meal and a two or three scoop sundae or in the case of children, a much smaller sundae. This is a favorite restaurant with my kids and it's a wonderful treat. The thing is, the meals are so large that I can't eat a three scoop sundae afterwards. So I order a kids sundae every time. I have been doing this for almost 11 years and the result is usually laughter from the waiter or waitress plus my kids.

Until our last visit. The waitress up-sold me a coupon book for our local Mercy Flight and I let the kids order sundae's that came with a free bowl... for additional $2.00 each. I was feeling mighty good; I just got paid, the kids were happy, my wife didn't have to cook or eat my cooking and I helped out a local charity. Then I was served a crushing blow. The waitress absolutely refused to serve me a Monster Bash sundae, a scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream with M&M for ears, eye, nose and mouth, because "they are for children".

I said "I know". She again asked for my order, this time specifically handing me the adult menu and pointing out my options. My wife was desperately trying to distract me from my mission, but only succeeded in getting the check away from me. I ended up ordering a single scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream with M&M's. This apparently was the correct answer.

What was incorrect was, I arranged my M&M's to look like eyes, a nose, a mouth and ears in plain sight. The waitress saw what I was doing and glowered at me. In fact she never came back to our table and asked someone else to pick up the bill.

I can't not believe the wild over reaction of some people; I know I am a child, there is no reason to get angry or upset over things you cannot change.

Edit - PS: My wife left a 15% tip. Although some might question her for it, I was a waiter for 2 weeks in 1990. I think anything less than 25% is mean, almost vicious.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I was watching a rare showing of a Charlie Chan flick on Turner Classics tonight, and I'm reminded that the names of the three Chan actors -- Warner Oland, Sidney Toler, and Roland Winters -- are almost acronyms of one another. That's got to be a coincidence (none of the actors were Chinese, by the way), but an interesting one.
    I think you might mean "anagrams".

Wow, does that word "acronyms" get forced to do the work of a lot of other words!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Wow, does that word "acronyms" get forced to do the work of a lot of other words!
    I don't know if you meant (kudos if you did), but that's a very clever and lefthanded pun.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    What was incorrect was, I arranged my M&M's to look like eyes, a nose, a mouth and ears in plain sight. The waitress saw what I was doing and glowered at me. In fact she never came back to our table and asked someone else to pick up the bill.

I can't not believe the wild over reaction of some people; I know I am a child, there is no reason to get angry or upset over things you cannot change.

Edit - PS: My wife left a 15% tip. Although some might question her for it, I was a waiter for 2 weeks in 1990. I think anything less than 25% is mean, almost vicious.
    There is little left in the "I can't believe" category for me, but yeah, the waitress was being stupid. You are much nicer than me; I'm usually a generous tipper, but that one would have gotten about 5% from me. Call it a leason in "go find another career that doesn't involve customer service".

In the "I can be a child too" category, there are restaurants that put the white "butcher" paper on the table on have crayons to draw on it. Though they are intended for kids, I usually spend the time doodling too. I've never received a negative reaction from wait staff, and sometimes have received compliments for my art work.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

When we went to Disneyland last year, we discovered a new thing at California Adventure. (All of California Adventure was new to me; it opened two months after the last time I'd been there.) They have an auditorium where they do drawing lessons with actual animators. It's really basic stuff, but it was an air conditioned room where I could sit down and Graham could draw, and that was definitely appealing. The first time, he got bored before the lesson started and was drawing the stage. The second time, the guy who'd been our instructor the first time was just kind of hanging out in the room, and he told me he'd been looking forward to seeing what Graham did that time.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    In the "I can be a child too" category, there are restaurants that put the white "butcher" paper on the table on have crayons to draw on it. Though they are intended for kids, I usually spend the time doodling too. I've never received a negative reaction from wait staff, and sometimes have received compliments for my art work.
    I would likely start working out physics problems on the butcher paper. I have colored on a kid's menu recently, but with the butcher paper, I'd start to do physics to entertain myself and/or mess with people.

I think you might mean "anagrams".

You're right of course. Don't know how I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Dax View Post
    I would likely start working out physics problems on the butcher paper. I have colored on a kid's menu recently, but with the butcher paper, I'd start to do physics to entertain myself and/or mess with people.
    I worked as night cashier to help pay for college, and worked out a lot of physics & math problems on paper grocery bags.
    The bags were later used to pack groceries.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I worked as night cashier to help pay for college, and worked out a lot of physics & math problems on paper grocery bags.
    The bags were later used to pack groceries.
    "Good grief! That 7-11 guy solved Fermat's Last Theorem, and we don't even know who he is!"

A couple of months ago, I advised:

Here’s a game that you can play almost anywhere when you’re hanging around with nothing to do.

Grab the nearest phone book. Access the “yellow pages.” You know how these are arranged, right? Alphabetically by subject, with guide words at the top of the page, referencing the first and last items on the page. Often it’s just one word if an entry goes on for many pages (e.g., “Hotels”).

The trick is just to look for the pages with two words. You ignore the hyphen and make a phrase out of the two words. Often it’ll be something boring, like “roofing sandblasting,” but a surprising amount of the time it’ll be something mildly amusing. It’s rare to find something really hilarious, but I’ve rarely been disappointed.

(Of course the range varies with the size of the book's coverage, but I've tried it in big cities and small towns, and it works.)
    That original list is at http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...16#post2051616

Recently, I found a newer phone book (Cocoa Beach – Cocoa; April 2012-2013)
    and checked out its Yellow Pages.

Airport alcoholism.
    Beauty bicycles.
    Burglar cable.
    Chiropractic churches.
    Diabetic dirt.
    Driveway drug.
    Funeral furniture.
    Garage garbage.
    Golf guns.
    Humane hypnotists.
    Ice insurance.
    Jewelers junk.
    Leak lighting.
    Limousine loans.
    Marriage material.
    Personal pest.
    Pest pharmacies.
    Recycling restaurants.
    Screen sculptors.
    Septic shoes.
    Swimming tax.
    Vacuum veterinarians.
    Water welding.

My fiance would put this in the "Bugs You" thread but I find it more amusing. Trying to explain the correlation between mood and choice of attire to someone who's typical wardrobe consists of 5 pairs of the style of jeans, five pairs of the same exact shorts (varying in shades), and tee shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    A couple of months ago, I advised:

That original list is at http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...16#post2051616

Recently, I found a newer phone book (Cocoa Beach – Cocoa; April 2012-2013)
    and checked out its Yellow Pages.

I think my favorites here are "golf guns" and "swimming tax". Would golf guns be guns that shoot golf-balls?

The way escalator handles more slightly faster than the bit you stand on.
    I wouldn't have believed it, but it's true. I checked several at a mall I recently visited.

Anyone know why?
    (we can split-off a new thread if needed.)
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Last night, I sat watching my wonderful children play with my daughter's stuffed animals. It was amusing to see my boys playing so nicely with my daughter, taking turns and acting out whatever scenario that came to her mind. It was actually very warming to see how they all got along.

Until my daughter snatched up two animals and walked out of the room saying "...and that is why my daddy wears women's underwear." and causing my wife to drop her diet coke all over the floor.

My boys are ever alert for the moment where I am not paying enough attention and enable them to pull a fast one.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Last night, I sat watching my wonderful children play with my daughter's stuffed animals. It was amusing to see my boys playing so nicely with my daughter, taking turns and acting out whatever scenario that came to her mind. It was actually very warming to see how they all got along.

Until my daughter snatched up two animals and walked out of the room saying "...and that is why my daddy wears women's underwear." and causing my wife to drop her diet coke all over the floor.

My boys are ever alert for the moment where I am not paying enough attention and enable them to pull a fast one.
    That made me laugh rather hard.

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    I wouldn't have believed it, but it's true. I checked several at a mall I recently visited.

Anyone know why?
    (we can split-off a new thread if needed.)
    Just a guess, but an easy answer would be that the hand rail piece is longer then the stairway part yet both cycle at the same rate. The same angular speed would give the longer hand rail a bigger linear speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Dax View Post
    Just a guess, but an easy answer would be that the hand rail piece is longer then the stairway part yet both cycle at the same rate. The same angular speed would give the longer hand rail a bigger linear speed.
    I would think the designers would have considered that. My guess is the elasticity of the handrail vs the stairs has something to do with it.

Oh, that was you on the escalator!

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    My fiance would put this in the "Bugs You" thread but I find it more amusing. Trying to explain the correlation between mood and choice of attire to someone who's typical wardrobe consists of 5 pairs of the style of jeans, five pairs of the same exact shorts (varying in shades), and tee shirts.
    It can also be either amusing or annoying to be that other person, listening to stuff that just doesn't make any sense to you while the people saying it act like you're the one making no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    It can also be either amusing or annoying to be that other person, listening to stuff that just doesn't make any sense to you while the people saying it act like you're the one making no sense.
    I get the feeling that you got something out of that, that I didn't intend to say. He's almost all functionality with a slight hint of personality (occassional tee shirts that express something that he likes). I am more of a mix of personality, functionality, and comfort, but personality (flare/color) varies with my mood. He doesn't get it because his major decision is shorts or pants, where as my decision is based on about ten different factors. He would find it annoying because he has to sit there and wait while I go through ten different shirts and when none give me the feeling I want, I go back through the shirts mixing up the pants. I find it amusing because he doesn't know what, "I'm having a fat day," or, "I am just not in the mood for that," means. There was no sense of superiority intended.

I just returned from the grocery store with a big box of donuts (raised, cake-type, some frosted, some plain) for husband and I to nibble on. Picked up 2 other (dinner) items. Think I've got plenty of milk in the 'fridge at home (for donuts).

Nope. Arrive back home to discover almost out of milk.

Today I encountered a rose that smelled amazingly similar to Froot Loops cereal.

Last night I was occupied with something and missed some of the baseball game. I knew that St. Louis was ahead and Atlanta scrambling to get back into it.

When I tuned back into it, they were showing a replay. The picture showed a Cardinal infielder and outfielder trying to decide who would catch a flyball that either could have handled rather easily, and then screwing it up: both let up, and the ball fell in whilst Braves baserunners scampered. Looked like a great break for the home team, but the broadcast announcer was telling us that the fans were jeering and throwing things.

What a time I chose to resume watching! Why were the fans mad about a fortunate hit (or error)? Could it be that this was somehow an out, and an inexplicable one?

Yep! Infield Fly Rule, one of the most obscure things in the rule book, here invoked under questionable circumstances. A rare occasion where the defense gets an out without making the play, and here dredged up during a lose-and-go-home one-game playoff. The strange rule is there to protect the baserunners from defensive trickery, but here that was no longer an issue, and it worked against the offense. The ump was just showing off his trivia skills, in my opinion.

The Braves probably deserved to lose, but didn't need this kind of help in doing so.

The infield fly rule, IIRC, has to be called while the ball is still in the air. The ump couldn't have predicted they'd muff it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.