Page 12 of 415 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

I got what is probably the last box of my belongings out of Mom's house--she actually brought it north, and she passed it on to my sister who lives in town. I picked it up from my sister's today. Mostly, it was full of dust, pictures I took in high school/junior high, and old magazines. About a dozen issues of 3-2-1 Contact. Two Star Trek comics from 1993. A MAD from 1978. The fifteenth anniversary commemorative issue of Omni. I mentioned to Graham's mother that I had a buyer possible for probably the Omni, and we talked about how I could sell the others (minus the 3-2-1 Contacts, which I actually want) on eBay. I told her that they're only worth about $2 each, but if someone was willing to pay it, that's more than they're worth to me. And she kept trying to convince me that, no, they would sell for way more than that, and there could be a bidding war! Over two twenty-year-old Star Trek comics!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I got what is probably the last box of my belongings out of Mom's house--she actually brought it north, and she passed it on to my sister who lives in town. I picked it up from my sister's today. Mostly, it was full of dust, pictures I took in high school/junior high, and old magazines. About a dozen issues of 3-2-1 Contact. Two Star Trek comics from 1993. A MAD from 1978. The fifteenth anniversary commemorative issue of Omni. I mentioned to Graham's mother that I had a buyer possible for probably the Omni, and we talked about how I could sell the others (minus the 3-2-1 Contacts, which I actually want) on eBay. I told her that they're only worth about $2 each, but if someone was willing to pay it, that's more than they're worth to me. And she kept trying to convince me that, no, they would sell for way more than that, and there could be a bidding war! Over two twenty-year-old Star Trek comics!
    It amuses me that things as old as I am could be the cause of a bidding war.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I have been joking for years that none of my friends can run for public office, because I keep the pictures we took when we were young. Yesterday, in Box o' Dusty Nostalgia, I found a picture of a group of friends having lunch when they were in eighth grade. (I was in seventh.) Logged onto Facebook. Discovered that the only one of the group with whom I am in touch has just been elected to town council of our hometown. I speculated that perhaps this is only possible because we don't know what they were discussing in that picture, and he claims that he was totally innocent in eighth grade. Since I have known him since preschool, I know this to be a lie.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I find it amusing that all the teenagers in my neighborhood seem to wear black tee shirts and no other type or color of shirt.
    Occasionally, one of the shirts will have a logo on it, though.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

They all have to dress the same...to express their individuality!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I drove my daughter to school. The pre-k kids gather together and walk in a pack, which creates bottlenecks at doorways. They all try to walk through the same time, but with the hooded jackets and over-sized backpacks, they bounce around like ping-pong balls.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    They all have to dress the same...to express their individuality!
    "YES! WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!"
    "Hey! He's not!"
    "GET HIM!"

I'm reminded of a very old Steve Martin bit:

STEVE MARTIN: Let’s repeat the Non-Conformist Oath. I promise to be different.

AUDIENCE: I promise to be different.
    STEVE MARTIN: I promise to be unique.
    AUDIENCE: I promise to be unique.
    STEVE MARTIN: I promise not to repeat things other people say.
    AUDIENCE: I promise … [Dissolves into nervous laughter.]
    STEVE MARTIN: Good!
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I drove my daughter to school. The pre-k kids gather together and walk in a pack, which creates bottlenecks at doorways. They all try to walk through the same time, but with the hooded jackets and over-sized backpacks, they bounce around like ping-pong balls.
    Lol!! I'm trying to visualize that.

Or from a Mothers of Invention live album I remember hearing in college, Frank Zappa speaking to the crowd:
    "Everyone here is wearing a uniform, and don't you forget it."
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Whenever I absolutely need to get something out of my handbag or a bag of purchased items, a red light will quickly turn green.

Any other time it'd be red light for 3 full minutes.
    Sometimes I deliberately use that technique to ensure I make all the lights.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Sometimes I deliberately use that technique to ensure I make all the lights.
    That never works. Murphy's law applies to everything, including Murphy's law. If you try to deliberatedly use "things go wrong", either things will go right, just to mess with you, or things will go wrong in a new, and unpredicted way.

You are messing with forces beyond your control or understanding!

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That never works. Murphy's law applies to everything, including Murphy's law. If you try to deliberatedly use "things go wrong", either things will go right, just to mess with you, or things will go wrong in a new, and unpredicted way.

You are messing with forces beyond your control or understanding!

Love that emoticon, lol!

That...and the fact that street lights can read our minds, and deliberately want to annoy us.

One of The Laws states that Murphy was an Optimist.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I find it amusing that all the teenagers in my neighborhood seem to wear black tee shirts and no other type or color of shirt.
    Occasionally, one of the shirts will have a logo on it, though.
    I have a black one with the NASA logo.
    Really, though, I tend to wear black pants more than black t-shirts, because black pants go with any color shirt.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Really, though, I tend to wear black pants more than black t-shirts, because black pants go with any color shirt.
    You can have too much black. When I was in college, I had a neat black raincoat that looked just great with black pants. Or so I thought.

Turned out that panhandlers thought I looked like a millionaire, and were always asking for a handout.

Other folks assumed that I was a priest.

For these reasons, I felt more comfortable in my other raincoat, something more like Columbo would wear on a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    You can have too much black. When I was in college, I had a neat black raincoat that looked just great with black pants. Or so I thought.

Turned out that panhandlers thought I looked like a millionaire, and were always asking for a handout.
    Funny, I had a black raincoat some time back, and people thought it made me look like a panhandler.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Funny, I had a black raincoat some time back, and people thought it made me look like a panhandler.
    Perhaps you forgot the black pants.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

When my cat sniffs at the water in her bowl, then gives a puffy sneeze and briskly shakes her head.

Perhaps you forgot the black pants.
    Well, you must've had pants of some color or other, else the charge would have been worse than panhandling.

Snarky teachers who can't handle snarky students, as in this exchange:

Teacher: You can't have chemistry without electrons. If you can think of a way to do it, I will give you an A.
    Me: Anti-H Two; can I have my A?
    Teacher: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, no.
    Me: Man, that was my only chance for an A.
    Solfe

You can't have chemistry without electrons.
    I recall there was a move for the schools to encourage "Substance-Free Parties," which would be quite a trick.

I heard my daughter sweetly threaten my son this morning:

Daughter (singing): Get out of my way! I brusha my teeth! I brusha my teeth!
    Son: Get out of hear, I am combing my hair.
    Daughter (still singing): Get out of my way! I brusha my teeth! If you don't get outta here, I puncha your buns, I kicka your can!
    Solfe

What's up with mothers in old TV shows or movies asking if their children have washed behind their ears?
    I've always thought it was a funny thing to ask.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I heard my daughter sweetly threaten my son this morning:

Daughter (singing): Get out of my way! I brusha my teeth! I brusha my teeth!
    Son: Get out of hear, I am combing my hair.
    Daughter (still singing): Get out of my way! I brusha my teeth! If you don't get outta here, I puncha your buns, I kicka your can!
    A paraphrase of a song from "Adventure Time". http://adventuretime.wikia.com/wiki/Baby_Finn_Song
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

A paraphrase of a song from "Adventure Time". http://adventuretime.wikia.com/wiki/Baby_Finn_Song
    I love Adventure Time. If that is the worst thing they say, I should be good.

My younger son came back from religion class saying "Ah! I have no soul!" just like Spongebob. I don't want to know how that started.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    What's up with mothers in old TV shows or movies asking if their children have washed behind their ears?
    I've always thought it was a funny thing to ask.
    Little Herman
    And brother Thurman
    Had an aversion
    To washing their ears

Grandma scrubbed them
    With the lye soap
    And they haven't heard
    A word in years

Headline in the local sensationalistic newspaper:

"BUDDHA STATUE FOUND BY NAZIS COMES FROM OUTER SPACE"

What amuses me is that a title containing both nazis, religion and outer space is factually correct. The statue was found by a Nazi expedition, and it turns out it was made from a large meteorite fragment.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post

What amuses me is that a title containing both nazis, religion and outer space is factually correct. The statue was found by a Nazi expedition, and it turns out it was made from a large meteorite fragment.
    Now if they found it in Loch Ness, or Nellis AFB, then we'd have a definite winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post

Lol! Yep. A science source on Twitter reported the finding...not sensationally of course.

Can imagine how some people will react.