Page 102 of 416 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 12461

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

  1. #3031
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,595
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I recently purchased a Cessna 185 aircraft package for my flight simulator and took a model on floats out for a spin this past weekend. So there I was, sitting at the end of a water lane on Lake Hood (PALH) [...]
    Is that an artificial runway for float planes? Those actually exist?

  2. #3032
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Peters Creek, Alaska
    Posts
    14,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Is that an artificial runway for float planes? Those actually exist?
    Oh, yeah. LHD is isn't completely artificial, though. It's a man-made combination of lakes Hood and Spenard. Kenai Municipal Airport (ENA/PAEN) has a water lane (1W/19W) that I believe is completely man-made...at least, it looks to be. Here's the Airport Diagram plate (PDF format).

    Which brings to mind another annoying/amusing incident in MS Flight Simulator. I requested landing clearance from the A.I. ATC and was directed to 19W. The trouble is, I wasn't on floats at the time!
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.


    Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

  3. #3033
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,369
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Which brings to mind another annoying/amusing incident in MS Flight Simulator. I requested landing clearance from the A.I. ATC and was directed to 19W. The trouble is, I wasn't on floats at the time!
    Edo 597-2790 amphibious floats?

  4. #3034
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Peters Creek, Alaska
    Posts
    14,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Edo 597-2790 amphibious floats?
    Nope. As I recall, I was in some flavor of a C172 with stock landing gear at the time. No good at all for anything wetter than rained-upon conventional runway. All I had to do was request another clearance and was directed to the hard surface on 19R.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.


    Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

  5. #3035
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,595
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Oh, yeah. LHD is isn't completely artificial, though. It's a man-made combination of lakes Hood and Spenard. Kenai Municipal Airport (ENA/PAEN) has a water lane (1W/19W) that I believe is completely man-made...at least, it looks to be. Here's the Airport Diagram plate (PDF format).
    Huh. Not sure how trivial that is, but it's amusing me.

    Which brings to mind another annoying/amusing incident in MS Flight Simulator. I requested landing clearance from the A.I. ATC and was directed to 19W. The trouble is, I wasn't on floats at the time!
    As does this.

  6. #3036
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    30,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Hmm, I seem to have pasted in the same link twice. How the heck does that happen?
    Four times, actually, but it's fixed now. Must be a twitch.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

  7. #3037
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Peters Creek, Alaska
    Posts
    14,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    As does this.
    For your further amusement: I happened to be talking to the ENA air traffic manager maybe a week or two later...they're one of the federal contract towers I support...and I related the glitch to him, saying that I was going to lay the blame on him since he was the only real person who was handy. It's not like I'd be able to talk to anyone with real authority at Microsoft.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.


    Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

  8. #3038
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,369
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Nope. As I recall, I was in some flavor of a C172 with stock landing gear at the time. No good at all for anything wetter than rained-upon conventional runway. All I had to do was request another clearance and was directed to the hard surface on 19R.
    Oh. And my reply didn't make much sense anyway. For some reason I understood the opposite of what you wrote, thinking you were in the floatplane and were being cleared to 19. Didn't even notice the "W".

    And remember, if it's amphibious floats, it's gear up for water landings! I think a few have ended up on their back as a result of gear-down water landings.

  9. #3039
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    5,867
    I may have to rethink my analysis of the wear patterns on the office stairwell doorknobs.
    The bathroom doorknob indicates far more wear on the outside than the inside. By my previous analysis, this implies more people entering than exiting.
    I find the implications of such a conclusion...unsettling.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  10. #3040
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    N.E.Ohio
    Posts
    22,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I may have to rethink my analysis of the wear patterns on the office stairwell doorknobs.
    The bathroom doorknob indicates far more wear on the outside than the inside. By my previous analysis, this implies more people entering than exiting.
    I find the implications of such a conclusion...unsettling.
    That would be an intersting research. Let me know what you find out.

    My hunch is that it's actually a good thing. More body oils on their hands going in that ruins the finish, but all washed off as they are leaving.

  11. #3041
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Peters Creek, Alaska
    Posts
    14,326
    Have you ever noticed how many folks don't wash their hands before leaving the bathroom? Makes me hesitant to put any wear on the inner door handle myself.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.


    Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

  12. #3042
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mytho-poetic dreams.
    Posts
    11,944
    Just now:

    Do not hang up. This might be the most important phone call in your life...

    Sure, that's why it's a RECORDING.

    -click-

  13. #3043
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14,782
    Maybe its the phone call that got you started on a nine-year-long
    class action suit against the people who called you...

    -- Jeff, in Minneapolis

  14. #3044
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mytho-poetic dreams.
    Posts
    11,944
    My supervisor sends out a request that we all do 1 hour overtime today.

    While I'm needing to listen to Donovan?! Way dooooown below the ocean, wheeEEErre I wanna be (she may be); way doooooown below the ocean...

    Good luck Karen!! I'm not in the mood to work!!

    (and yes, I'm perfectly sober)

  15. #3045
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mytho-poetic dreams.
    Posts
    11,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    My supervisor sends out a request that we all do 1 hour overtime today.

    Good luck Karen!! I'm not in the mood to work!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k3MP0aC8Jw

    woooo!!!!

  16. #3046
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mytho-poetic dreams.
    Posts
    11,944
    Apparently Aristarchusinexile has rightly concluded that I am far too groovy for him.

  17. #3047
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Apparently Aristarchusinexile has rightly concluded that I am far too groovy for him.
    How so, Buttercup? Perhaps you could use the 'reply with quote' button to give me clues as to what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Aristarchusinexile; 2014-Feb-27 at 11:37 PM.

  18. #3048
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mytho-poetic dreams.
    Posts
    11,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchusinexile View Post
    How so, Buttercup? Perhaps you could use the 'reply with quote' button to give me clues as to what you're talking about.
    Wrong thread, baby. Check out the YouTube link above (and rock out with me!!)

  19. #3049
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    102
    Yeah .. cute song Buttercup, not Amazing Grace though. I chanced upon a few of the things that gripe you about other people, BC, and you would do well to ease up on expectations of other people and accept their limitations .. 'condemn and thou shalt be condemned' etc etc. The lady ordering crisp bacon may have a poor memory for a face she sees once a week, but she may have a photographic memory of page after page of information, and she may donate thousands of dollars to Food Banks.

  20. #3050
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mytho-poetic dreams.
    Posts
    11,944
    I'm glad you enjoyed the song.

  21. #3051
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mytho-poetic dreams.
    Posts
    11,944
    Husband's testing our newly installed (replaced) doorbell. Cat goes running like crazy from the door.

  22. #3052
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    15,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Husband's testing our newly installed (replaced) doorbell. Cat goes running like crazy from the door.
    It probably thinks the aliens have landed. To work out the kinks. Or something.
    ____________
    "Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side." -- Frank Zappa
    "Your right to hold an opinion is not being contested. Your expectation that it be taken seriously is." -- Jason Thompson
    "This is really very simple, but unfortunately it's very complicated." -- publius

    Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

  23. #3053
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mytho-poetic dreams.
    Posts
    11,944
    Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    It probably thinks the aliens have landed. To work out the kinks. Or something.
    That could be. Or maybe she thinks it's the arrival of Paul Reeve (and The Raiders). I wonder if the cat's groovier than I am, or vice versa?

  24. #3054
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    5,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Husband's testing our newly installed (replaced) doorbell. Cat goes running like crazy from the door.
    The old TV show "Beverly Hillbillies" had an episode where Jed said he couldn't figure out where "that bell" was.
    He would go hunting for it whenever it rang, but someone always knocked on the door distracting him from the task.

    PS: My dogs must think burglars will ring the doorbell. They go nuts whenever it rings.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  25. #3055
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mytho-poetic dreams.
    Posts
    11,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The old TV show "Beverly Hillbillies" had an episode where Jed said he couldn't figure out where "that bell" was.
    He would go hunting for it whenever it rang, but someone always knocked on the door distracting him from the task.

    PS: My dogs must think burglars will ring the doorbell. They go nuts whenever it rings.
    "There goes them bells, again!"

    And how about the Billiard Room? "There there thing must be a billiard!" (mounted rhino head).

  26. #3056
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    R.I. USA
    Posts
    10,014
    But it sure came with those handy pot-passers !!

  27. #3057
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Peters Creek, Alaska
    Posts
    14,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    That could be. Or maybe she thinks it's the arrival of Paul Reeve (and The Raiders). I wonder if the cat's groovier than I am, or vice versa?
    Friendly nitpick: it's Paul Revere and the Raiders. I saw them at a small show up here a few years ago and they were indeed groovy...and a hoot...two words you don't often see in close proximity.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.


    Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

  28. #3058
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mytho-poetic dreams.
    Posts
    11,944
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Friendly nitpick: it's Paul Revere and the Raiders. I saw them at a small show up here a few years ago and they were indeed groovy...and a hoot...two words you don't often see in close proximity.
    Oh yeah...why did I type "Reeve"? I go through so many names per day (work/medical).

    I'm glad you got to see them. I've been listening to a lot of '60s songs lately; really love the era.

  29. #3059
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    15,713
    Visiting relatives for a birthday. Another kid there visiting too. Decided to check how gullible she was, and warned her to not come too close to our dog (whom she was petting rigorously, and dog loved it), because "he likes to eat small girls for dinner". She just laughed and said: "I'm not small, I am SEVEN!"
    ____________
    "Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side." -- Frank Zappa
    "Your right to hold an opinion is not being contested. Your expectation that it be taken seriously is." -- Jason Thompson
    "This is really very simple, but unfortunately it's very complicated." -- publius

    Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

  30. #3060
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    39,923
    Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Visiting relatives for a birthday. Another kid there visiting too. Decided to check how gullible she was, and warned her to not come too close to our dog (whom she was petting rigorously, and dog loved it), because "he likes to eat small girls for dinner". She just laughed and said: "I'm not small, I am SEVEN!"
    Reminds me of my niece's first visit to Disney World. She wanted to go on a "you must be this tall" ride, and I said, "I'm sorry honey, you're too short", to which she (about 3 years old) said "I'm not short, I'm just little!"
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Similar Threads

  1. Really trivial stuff that bugs you
    By Trebuchet in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 15561
    Last Post: Yesterday, 09:06 PM
  2. Trivial coincidences from everyday life.
    By Buttercup in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 2012-Nov-02, 09:08 PM
  3. Trivial Relief:
    By Moose in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2006-Jul-19, 01:20 PM
  4. Bad Astronomy in Trivial Pursuit, Genus 5 Edition
    By tracer in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 2005-May-12, 01:52 PM
  5. Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...
    By Brady Yoon in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-28, 01:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •