Page 102 of 416 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 12461

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I recently purchased a Cessna 185 aircraft package for my flight simulator and took a model on floats out for a spin this past weekend. So there I was, sitting at the end of a water lane on Lake Hood (PALH) [...]
    Is that an artificial runway for float planes? Those actually exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Is that an artificial runway for float planes? Those actually exist?
    Oh, yeah. LHD is isn't completely artificial, though. It's a man-made combination of lakes Hood and Spenard. Kenai Municipal Airport (ENA/PAEN) has a water lane (1W/19W) that I believe is completely man-made...at least, it looks to be. Here's the Airport Diagram plate (PDF format).

Which brings to mind another annoying/amusing incident in MS Flight Simulator. I requested landing clearance from the A.I. ATC and was directed to 19W. The trouble is, I wasn't on floats at the time!
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Which brings to mind another annoying/amusing incident in MS Flight Simulator. I requested landing clearance from the A.I. ATC and was directed to 19W. The trouble is, I wasn't on floats at the time!
    Edo 597-2790 amphibious floats?

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Edo 597-2790 amphibious floats?
    Nope. As I recall, I was in some flavor of a C172 with stock landing gear at the time. No good at all for anything wetter than rained-upon conventional runway. All I had to do was request another clearance and was directed to the hard surface on 19R.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Oh, yeah. LHD is isn't completely artificial, though. It's a man-made combination of lakes Hood and Spenard. Kenai Municipal Airport (ENA/PAEN) has a water lane (1W/19W) that I believe is completely man-made...at least, it looks to be. Here's the Airport Diagram plate (PDF format).
    Huh. Not sure how trivial that is, but it's amusing me.

As does this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Hmm, I seem to have pasted in the same link twice. How the heck does that happen?
    Four times, actually, but it's fixed now. Must be a twitch.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    As does this.
    For your further amusement: I happened to be talking to the ENA air traffic manager maybe a week or two later...they're one of the federal contract towers I support...and I related the glitch to him, saying that I was going to lay the blame on him since he was the only real person who was handy. It's not like I'd be able to talk to anyone with real authority at Microsoft.

Nope. As I recall, I was in some flavor of a C172 with stock landing gear at the time. No good at all for anything wetter than rained-upon conventional runway. All I had to do was request another clearance and was directed to the hard surface on 19R.
    Oh. And my reply didn't make much sense anyway. For some reason I understood the opposite of what you wrote, thinking you were in the floatplane and were being cleared to 19. Didn't even notice the "W".

And remember, if it's amphibious floats, it's gear up for water landings! I think a few have ended up on their back as a result of gear-down water landings.

I may have to rethink my analysis of the wear patterns on the office stairwell doorknobs.
    The bathroom doorknob indicates far more wear on the outside than the inside. By my previous analysis, this implies more people entering than exiting.
    I find the implications of such a conclusion...unsettling.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I may have to rethink my analysis of the wear patterns on the office stairwell doorknobs.
    The bathroom doorknob indicates far more wear on the outside than the inside. By my previous analysis, this implies more people entering than exiting.
    I find the implications of such a conclusion...unsettling.
    That would be an intersting research. Let me know what you find out.

My hunch is that it's actually a good thing. More body oils on their hands going in that ruins the finish, but all washed off as they are leaving.

Have you ever noticed how many folks don't wash their hands before leaving the bathroom? Makes me hesitant to put any wear on the inner door handle myself.

Just now:

Do not hang up. This might be the most important phone call in your life...

Sure, that's why it's a RECORDING.

-click-

Maybe its the phone call that got you started on a nine-year-long
    class action suit against the people who called you...

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

My supervisor sends out a request that we all do 1 hour overtime today.

While I'm needing to listen to Donovan?! Way dooooown below the ocean, wheeEEErre I wanna be (she may be); way doooooown below the ocean...

Good luck Karen!! I'm not in the mood to work!!

(and yes, I'm perfectly sober)

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    My supervisor sends out a request that we all do 1 hour overtime today.

Good luck Karen!! I'm not in the mood to work!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k3MP0aC8Jw

woooo!!!!

Apparently Aristarchusinexile has rightly concluded that I am far too groovy for him.

Apparently Aristarchusinexile has rightly concluded that I am far too groovy for him.
    How so, Buttercup? Perhaps you could use the 'reply with quote' button to give me clues as to what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Aristarchusinexile; 2014-Feb-27 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchusinexile View Post
    How so, Buttercup? Perhaps you could use the 'reply with quote' button to give me clues as to what you're talking about.
    Wrong thread, baby. Check out the YouTube link above (and rock out with me!!)

Yeah .. cute song Buttercup, not Amazing Grace though. I chanced upon a few of the things that gripe you about other people, BC, and you would do well to ease up on expectations of other people and accept their limitations .. 'condemn and thou shalt be condemned' etc etc. The lady ordering crisp bacon may have a poor memory for a face she sees once a week, but she may have a photographic memory of page after page of information, and she may donate thousands of dollars to Food Banks.

I'm glad you enjoyed the song.

Husband's testing our newly installed (replaced) doorbell. Cat goes running like crazy from the door.

Husband's testing our newly installed (replaced) doorbell. Cat goes running like crazy from the door.
    It probably thinks the aliens have landed. To work out the kinks. Or something.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    It probably thinks the aliens have landed. To work out the kinks. Or something.
    That could be. Or maybe she thinks it's the arrival of Paul Reeve (and The Raiders). I wonder if the cat's groovier than I am, or vice versa?

The old TV show "Beverly Hillbillies" had an episode where Jed said he couldn't figure out where "that bell" was.
    He would go hunting for it whenever it rang, but someone always knocked on the door distracting him from the task.

PS: My dogs must think burglars will ring the doorbell. They go nuts whenever it rings.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The old TV show "Beverly Hillbillies" had an episode where Jed said he couldn't figure out where "that bell" was.
    He would go hunting for it whenever it rang, but someone always knocked on the door distracting him from the task.

PS: My dogs must think burglars will ring the doorbell. They go nuts whenever it rings.
    "There goes them bells, again!"

And how about the Billiard Room? "There there thing must be a billiard!" (mounted rhino head).

But it sure came with those handy pot-passers !!

That could be. Or maybe she thinks it's the arrival of Paul Reeve (and The Raiders). I wonder if the cat's groovier than I am, or vice versa?
    Friendly nitpick: it's Paul Revere and the Raiders. I saw them at a small show up here a few years ago and they were indeed groovy...and a hoot...two words you don't often see in close proximity.

Friendly nitpick: it's Paul Revere and the Raiders. I saw them at a small show up here a few years ago and they were indeed groovy...and a hoot...two words you don't often see in close proximity.
    Oh yeah...why did I type "Reeve"? I go through so many names per day (work/medical).

I'm glad you got to see them. I've been listening to a lot of '60s songs lately; really love the era.

Visiting relatives for a birthday. Another kid there visiting too. Decided to check how gullible she was, and warned her to not come too close to our dog (whom she was petting rigorously, and dog loved it), because "he likes to eat small girls for dinner". She just laughed and said: "I'm not small, I am SEVEN!"

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Visiting relatives for a birthday. Another kid there visiting too. Decided to check how gullible she was, and warned her to not come too close to our dog (whom she was petting rigorously, and dog loved it), because "he likes to eat small girls for dinner". She just laughed and said: "I'm not small, I am SEVEN!"
    Reminds me of my niece's first visit to Disney World. She wanted to go on a "you must be this tall" ride, and I said, "I'm sorry honey, you're too short", to which she (about 3 years old) said "I'm not short, I'm just little!"
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright