Page 355 of 361 FirstFirst ... 255305345353354355356357 ... LastLast
Results 10,621 to 10,650 of 10824

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    This year, the first of April coincides again with my usual day for blog posting, so today I put up the following topical offering:Well, it amuses me.

Grant Hutchison
    It amuses me, too. I have an article I’m working on, too, but I might not finish it before midnight tonight.

Edit: Here you go, “West Village Siren of the Deep: Sitting Down With Haukea Balenoptera”.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2020-Apr-02 at 04:19 AM.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    There's a been a thing here where people put teddy bears in their windows for people walking around (with distance!) to find. This was in the news:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/120...t-hard-to-hunt
    My wife has put teddy bears in our front window and was pleased to see some kids stop and look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    My wife has put teddy bears in our front window and was pleased to see some kids stop and look at them.
    There are two bears and a stuffed frog in our front window
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    There are two bears and a stuffed frog in our front window
    Two bears and a frog went into a bar.

"What can I get for you?" said the bartender.

"Nothing for me," said the frog. "I'm stuffed."
    Do good work. óVirgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post

That's unbearable.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Nice. Anything that mentions the Kerguelens is fine by me.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post

Then one bear said
    “Ignore him, he’s about to croak”
    And the other bear said........”
    Yeah”
    And the bartender said
    “Why the long paws?”
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Nice. Anything that mentions the Kerguelens is fine by me.

Grant Hutchison
    I had a big laminated satellite map of the world on my wall as a kid, they always stood out to me as a tiny group of islands off in the Southern Ocean at the center of a much larger plateau.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

I've discovered a good way to remind myself not to touch my face--drain cleaning.
    I've washed my hands three times and I can still smell "blocked drain" when I bring my hand within three inches of my face.

Grant Hutchison

This morning, my daughter asked me to pick up chocolate milk which sparked a memory. A sickening memory.

Back in the 90's, before the internet, my friends and I all turned 21. I was the maniac of the group, willing and able to drink just about anything with one caveat. I learned at an early age not to drink heavily and knew my definition of "heavily".

My friends weren't so lucky, but most of them were well on the way to figuring out what was a bad idea. Except two of them, who almost wiped themselves out in a single night. My friend had a small social gathering, maybe 8 of us. Not a crazy party by any means. We were told to bring snacks and drinks. I showed up with chips and a couple of bottles of Ryan's Lemon Lime pop (a non-alcoholic soda, for those of you not in Western New York). I was pretty sure how I wanted my night to go.

Anyway, our host recently turned 21 and purchased his first bottle of alcohol - Rumple Minze. This was before the internet so he had no idea what he had and what to do with it. He came to the conclusion that Rumple Minze and chocolate milk was fine mixed drink. It isn't.

One of the other guests brought a bottle of plum brandy. You can see where this is going, right?

These two managed to convince me to drink a shot of plum brandy, a shot of Rumple Minze and a small glass of chocolate milk with Rumple Minze in it. They were all pretty good, but widely spaced over hours. There were not good enough to have seconds, nor would I suggest that anyone do this because someone asked them to. They are really strange drinks.

Not my two friends. I recall telling them, "DO NOT mix plum brandy, Rumple Minze and chocolate milk [in one drink]. You will throw up." They managed to polish off a whole bottle of the brandy, half of a bottle of Rumple Minze and TWO OR THREE GALLONS of chocolate milk.

One of the guys threw up. The other, unfortunately didn't. When he was in the hospital the next day, the doctors were not exactly sure what they were dealing with. Other than the fact that my friend had alcohol poisoning and nuked all of the flora and fauna* in his gut.

While funny now, it was nearly deadly then.

*I am not sure who came up with the "flora and fauna" line, but it still makes all of us laugh, even the poor survivor. I'm pretty sure it was me stumbling through English, but I am not sure. It sounds a bit sophisticated, but is really childishly wrong.
    Solfe

It's Sunday. Heard a vehicle pause outside my place. Thump. Get up and look - it's a van and they've dumped something on my lawn.

Go and look - it's a fresh pack of the bags we use to put out (paper, plastic, and cans) recycling.

Had to laugh as:

1. My landlord and Daughter gave me some bags when I moved into this place. I still have not used ANY of the bags the council gave me last year. That includes having used some for rubbish.

2. It's not just Sunday, delivering those bags appears to have been an "essential" job - allowed to carry on despite the lock-down.

3. Due to the lock-down, the council is collecting rubbish, but all kerb-side recycling has been suspended.

Go figure.
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2020-Apr-05 at 02:29 AM.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Just went down to the kitchen and there is a bookself on its side setting down there.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I just used the phrase "now know how" in another thread.
    "Now" is pronounced like "cow".
    "Know" is pronounced like "so". (Or "sew", or "sow", except when the latter is pronounced like "cow".)
    "How" is back to "cow".
    English is kind of silly.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

We've obvious been thinking about our pets a lot since one of our cats passed last week.

This morning, I wondered aloud, "How old do you think she was?"

My wife turned to the shelf where she keeps the children's medical information and birth records and took out one of the folders. "It seems that the vet couldn't determine her age. But the dog's birthday is Oct 26, and the other cat's birthday is June 16th. They are 4 and 5 years old."

I now know the source of all order in my life.
    Solfe

My next door neighbor has a large shed in his back yard. Heís spent all day inside, constructing something. There have been lots of cutting, drilling, and other power tool sounds emanating from the shed.

Iíll be a little disappointed if a giant robot doesnít walk out the door at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I just used the phrase "now know how" in another thread.
    "Now" is pronounced like "cow".
    "Know" is pronounced like "so". (Or "sew", or "sow", except when the latter is pronounced like "cow".)
    "How" is back to "cow".
    English is kind of silly.
    Oh yes, The Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    My next door neighbor has a large shed in his back yard. Heís spent all day inside, constructing something. There have been lots of cutting, drilling, and other power tool sounds emanating from the shed.

Iíll be a little disappointed if a giant robot doesnít walk out the door at the end of the day.
    On a walk in my neighborhood a few days ago, I heard power tool sounds coming from behind several closed garage doors. I was certain I heard a planer at one, and a router at another. I was previously unaware of these workshops.

The Preimer of Nova Scotia said in press coneference said "Stay the blazes home", now there are t-shirts and coffe mugs being made with that on it for charities.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    On a walk in my neighborhood a few days ago, I heard power tool sounds coming from behind several closed garage doors. I was certain I heard a planer at one, and a router at another. I was previously unaware of these workshops.
    A lot of projects are finally being done, no where to go and no ome to come over and talk to.

15 years ago, my wife was in the hospital with my daughter. She went in mid-January and was released in April. My daughter didn't join us at home for another few months as she was in the NICU.

Anyway, Children's Hospital was not conveniently located. It was a large complex on the west side of Buffalo. The west side is known for traffic circles and one way streets, which is a pretty daunting combination. I would get lost every time I deviated from my practiced route to the hospital. The west side was also a moderately high crime area, so stopping to ask for directions was also an adventure. This is ironic. As a meter reader in the 1990s, I would walk this area all the time, but our maps were divided into walking routes called batches. I know every street and neighborhood, but only walking and can't navigate from batch to batch.

One of these little adventures lead me to gas station to ask for directions and to purchase a city map. I had already lost three of them, so I figured the fourth might be the charm. The clerk seemed nice enough and pointed me to the maps. While my head was turned to the maps, there was this loud mechanical noise, like a ton of chain being dragged through a machine with a series of loud booms. When I turned around, the clerk's station at the cash register was completely surrounded by bulletproof glass which has deployed from the ceiling.

The clerk was a nice guy. He told me: "Sorry, it's not you. It's just 7 pm. It always does that..." Good to know.

Seeing all the businesses install glass between the staff and customers probably sparked that memory, in addition to the time of year.
    Solfe

Completely different here, one Childrens hospital for 3 provinces, located in Halifax on one of the main streets, for my last year at University my bust stop was right in front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Completely different here, one Childrens hospital for 3 provinces, located in Halifax on one of the main streets, for my last year at University my bust stop was right in front of it.
    We got a new Children's Hospital, which is far more conveniently located. The old one was well past it's prime.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    ... my bust stop was right in front of it.
    Breast or statuary?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

sorry bus stop, lol.

For our new house, we ordered a fancy touchless faucet for the kitchen sink. You just wave your hand under it. Or your paw, as one of the kitties figured out this morning.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Set up a camera there and put on the interwebs, I bet some would love it and need something like that.

I’ll be a little disappointed if a giant robot doesn’t walk out the door at the end of the day.
    Well? What happened?
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Well? What happened?
    No robot
    In fact, he just closed up shop at the end of the day and went in the house. Maybe the robot isnít complete

Iíd ask him, but he has recently demonstrated poor social distancing skills. So, Iíll wait until a more appropriate time.

BTW: Iíd read about a jurisdiction that encouraged its residents to avoid power tool use. They are worried about the unskilled arriving at the hospital when the ER is busy with COVID-19 patients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

BTW: I’d read about a jurisdiction that encouraged its residents to avoid power tool use. They are worried about the unskilled arriving at the hospital when the ER is busy with COVID-19 patients.
    When I was an emergency doc, long ago, we used to see many more injuries from manual tools than power tools.
    (Although a colleague was once called to meet a helicopter transporting a man with a "chain-saw injury to neck". The helicopter landed, and the patient climbed out holding a wodge of paper towels against what was essentially a shallow graze between neck and shoulder. In the chain of communication, the fact that the chain-saw had not been running at the time of injury had somehow dropped out, resulting in the emergency helicopter call-out for a "life threatening injury in a remote location". Patient was thrilled, helicopter crew less than impressed.)

Grant Hutchison

Look, I don't want to say that the crossword puzzle program I use every day is easy, but it did just inform me that "revamp," one of today's words, was an anagram of "vamper," which is not in point of fact a word. In addition to giving me a regular clue for it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"