Page 342 of 345 FirstFirst ... 242292332340341342343344 ... LastLast
Results 10,231 to 10,260 of 10335

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Is that because of the American Ben Franklin's adage, "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise"?
    I think it's because we still think of ourselves, at heart, as an agricultural nation. Our businesses started operating on farmers' schedules and just kept doing that, even after few of us had to get up early to milk cows and so forth.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

When, for a couple of years, I found myself dealing with computer companies a lot, I found myself having to adjust to their schedules. They didn't do anything as early as 9:00 AM even you had an appointment for that time!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    When, for a couple of years, I found myself dealing with computer companies a lot, I found myself having to adjust to their schedules. They didn't do anything as early as 9:00 AM even you had an appointment for that time!
    In my experience, you can tell the software folks from the hardware folks by their schedules.
    Hardware folks start early. Software folks start later, but stay later.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

My antivirus software wants to reboot my computer.
    It will allow me to choose a reminder for:
    • In 10 minutes
    • In 1 hour
    • In 4 hours
    • In 6 hours
    • Tomorrow
    • Next Week
    • Next Century

I'd love to put it to the test, but neither the computer nor I will likely be around in 2100 (or is it 2101?).
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Tomorrow night, new years eve, we will go to bed at 10:20 just like always. And get up at 6:30 next morning, just like always. It's controlled by my wife's medication schedule.
    Well tonight will be a quiet night watching a drug addicted doctor going nuts and reading about Dinos.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

It's one part amusing and one part creepy. The film A Quiet Place 2 has been filming all over Western New York. What creeps me out is, I take my students on outings 2 a week and have often been to places in the upcoming film. What cranks the creep part up is, my class and I use sign language all the time to talk... I saw the new trailer this morning and it gave me goosebumps.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    My antivirus software wants to reboot my computer.
    It will allow me to choose a reminder for:
    • In 10 minutes
    • In 1 hour
    • In 4 hours
    • In 6 hours
    • Tomorrow
    • Next Week
    • Next Century

I'd love to put it to the test, but neither the computer nor I will likely be around in 2100 (or is it 2101?).
    Too bad it didn't have "Next Decade.' You could have run it last night and settled that question forever.

As I mentioned in another thread, the battery died in my car. I took the other car to town this morning and got a new one. I took off the terminal clamps and the nut I could see on the holddown strap and....stuck. The other end of the strap ran underneath a large plastic shroud, running the width of the front of the car. There was no obvious way to get it off.

Hmmm, I wonder if Google will give me a video of how to change the battery on a RAV4? Well, of course it will! Complete with how to remove the shroud. You push down on the center of a little plastic "rivet" and it comes out. They helpfully pointed out that there are nine of them. Except I had only seven, because two were missing. Now there are only six, because one was broken. Zip ties to the rescue!

Can't remember how many New Yorkers here but you might have a problem paying for parking today.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/03/n...ng-meters.html
    They reprogrammed them to fix the Y2K bug by adding 20 years, but forgot to fix them in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Can't remember how many New Yorkers here but you might have a problem paying for parking today.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/03/n...ng-meters.html
    They reprogrammed them to fix the Y2K bug by adding 20 years, but forgot to fix them in the meantime.
    To be fair, those 20 years went pretty quickly, didn’t they?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    To be fair, those 20 years went pretty quickly, didn’t they?
    You would of thought they would have had it on a to do list somewhere.

Just a few minutes ago I was called down stairs and found it was to sign petition for someone to be added to the ballot for a by election, a cousin in fact. He said for a second he thought he was looking at my grandfather.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Do you have a cite for this? This is not the first time I've heard it, but your linked article doesn't say that's what happened. I can't seem to find an actual report that says that is what happened.

I mean, it's definitely a software bug that is similar to the Y2K problem, but I can't find any confirmation that it's actually related to Y2K fixes.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Do you have a cite for this? This is not the first time I've heard it, but your linked article doesn't say that's what happened. I can't seem to find an actual report that says that is what happened.

I mean, it's definitely a software bug that is similar to the Y2K problem, but I can't find any confirmation that it's actually related to Y2K fixes.
    Heard it on the This Week in Tech podcast, it came out last night.

I'm watching tonights SpaceX Starlink launch. One of the announcers just said a major advantage of Starlink is it will work better for online dating.

I'm watching tonights SpaceX Starlink launch. One of the announcers just said a major advantage of Starlink is it will work better for online dating.
    The astronomers will need to do something when their images are all being ruined by starlink.

The other mom whose kid gets on the bus at Simon's stop in the mornings has decided to force the issue about where our stop is and just wait in her preferred place. I agree that it makes more sense. The bus driver agrees that it makes more sense. We have been unable to get the transit people to respond to the idea that it makes more sense. However, she has discovered that he'll pick the kids up there if that's where we're waiting, because better to stop in a different place than have the kids miss the bus--and you understand, our "different place" is about a hundred or so feet away from the official stop. Our apartment complex has four driveways into it, and all three kids who ride the bus (one only rides in the afternoon) live grouped by the second one, and the official stop is by the third one.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I am part of a group on another forum planning to play a fantasy-wild-west RPG, and it becomes apparent and amusing that the trouble with trying to play a Western game on a forum of nerds is that we have a whole bunch of people (myself included) wanting to play “smart but no fighter” or “city slicker” concepts (Voodoo priestess, gambler, snake-oil salesman, naturalist from back East, inventor) and only three (big strong boxer, Native warrior, and Texas Ranger) who are actually focused on physically fighting, while the number of actual cowboys thus far is... zero.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2020-Jan-10 at 06:28 AM.

We have occasionally discussed "drop bears" on here. A Scottish journalist on Kangaroo Island to cover the bush fires was persuaded that they actually did exist. She was then dressed up in protective gear and given a Koala to hold. The locals managed to keep a straight face all the way through until she finally realised what was happening. The good thing is though she was mortified at what had happened to her she was a good enough sport to allow it to be uploaded onto the net to raise money for the recovery efforts. Reading the rest of the article you can see how badly wildlife has been affected by these fires.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-...fires/11863942

I wonder if junk drawers are a reflection of the person.
    https://twitter.com/DavidLPFairweat/...797376/photo/1

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    We have occasionally discussed "drop bears" on here. A Scottish journalist on Kangaroo Island to cover the bush fires was persuaded that they actually did exist. She was then dressed up in protective gear and given a Koala to hold. The locals managed to keep a straight face all the way through until she finally realised what was happening. The good thing is though she was mortified at what had happened to her she was a good enough sport to allow it to be uploaded onto the net to raise money for the recovery efforts. Reading the rest of the article you can see how badly wildlife has been affected by these fires.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-...fires/11863942
    Thanks for posting that - it's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. We generally don't let Scots travel abroad without undergoing full gullibility testing, but she must have slipped through the net. And good on her for being such a good sport afterwards.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    The good thing is though she was mortified at what had happened to her she was a good enough sport to allow it to be uploaded onto the net to raise money for the recovery efforts.
    She didn't have much choice but to be a good sport - once it was uploaded to social media, there really wasn't anything she could do about it.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

She didn't have much choice but to be a good sport - once it was uploaded to social media, there really wasn't anything she could do about it.
    Well, when I said she'd been a good sport, I meant that she had been a good sport at the time, on camera. I've no idea how she feels about it ending up on social media. However, as a television journalist who comes across as an earnest and very likable person on the film, I imagine she already has that video on her CV for future job applications.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Jan-13 at 04:20 PM.

Good grief, they even found some Mad Max Road Warrior clothing for her to wear.

Our tour guide pranked us similarly when we went on a student tour of Australia in 2007. She didn’t make us wear protective clothing, but she did tell us not to walk under trees at the resort after nightfall, which led to this:

(Me and five friends walking back to our building after trivia night at the resort restaurant)

Nick: “Oooh, Sam, the drop bears are gonna get you!”
    Sam: “Nick, that’s not funny, Carmen said they were a big problem.”
    Nick: “They’re gonna get you!” *makes monkey noises and generally jumps around like a 14-year-old boy trying to scare his friends*
    Angie: “Seriously, knock that off.”
    Sam: *makes monkey noises*
    Me, Sam, and Angie: “Stop that!”
    *a twig snaps behind us*
    Everybody, even Nick; *takes off running down the path and doesn’t stop until we get to our building*

Have you ever taken someone snipe hunting?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I've been on a snipe hunt. Or at least on a walked-up, mixed-bag shooting day from which we brought back snipe. They're notoriously difficult to hit. I've never understood the American "snipe hunt" thing - but I guess if people believe stories about drop bears, you can probably also get them to roam around at night with a pillowcase hunting for something-or-other.

Fun snipe fact: You don't gut them before cooking.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Sure, right after we asked them to go get the left-handed smoke shifter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Sure, right after we asked them to go get the left-handed smoke shifter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you go down to the hold you can hear the dogfish bark.

Ax Grant said her instant reaction on camera was very good. She and the cameraman had apparently known each other for many years and he was obviously confident of her ability to handle the leg-pull. She demonstrated that she could take a joke at he own expense and thus she has instantly endeared herself to most Australians. For the rest of her time in Australia all doors will be open to her. She may be greeted with a silly joke but everyone, from high to low, will be happy to chat with her.