Page 352 of 361 FirstFirst ... 252302342350351352353354 ... LastLast
Results 10,531 to 10,560 of 10818

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    A couple of things that sales are up on in Nova Scotia, alcohol and pot.
    I'll drink to that!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I have too much free time on my hands. This morning, I thought I would start making Cereal Unboxing videos. I wonder how long I could pull that one off before people realized I was a different sort of nuts.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I have too much free time on my hands. This morning, I thought I would start making Cereal Unboxing videos. I wonder how long I could pull that one off before people realized I was a different sort of nuts.
    I gave on caring about what kind of nuts I was a long time ago, I was caught talking to myself way back in high school biology labs. I can't really think of a time when there wasn't somevody thought I was nuts.
    So what kind of nuts do think they will think you are now grapenuts.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

For some one group of neighbours decided to put out Christmas lights on the front stairs.

For some one group of neighbours decided to put out Christmas lights on the front stairs.
    I’ve heard about that— some people are putting them back up to cheer up their kids and/or neighbors.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

There's a TV network going to be running Christmas movies, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I’ve heard about that— some people are putting them back up to cheer up their kids and/or neighbors.
    Gad, life's depressing enough without my neighbour across the road putting out his Christmas decorations. In season, it's like the front of our house is illuminated by a thermonuclear war. I swear to you, they make that thrumming woww, woww, woww noise that movie nuclear reactors make just before they explode.
    And then there's his life-size motion-detecting animatronic Santa Claus, which he sometimes forgets to turn off overnight. The first year that one turned up, I found out about it by walking past his front garden at midnight. When it lit up and shouted "Ho! Ho! Ho!", I suddenly found myself standing in the middle of the road with a heart rate of about 150.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Gad, life's depressing enough without my neighbour across the road putting out his Christmas decorations.
    I don't think that's what people are doing. As I recall the news article about it, it's just the outdoor lights. But that's par for the course here. Christmas lights: they aren't just for breakfast Christmas anymore. They're "winter lights" intended to take the edge off the long nights. Of course, that's no excuse for obnoxious displays.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Stay-at-Home Diary, Day One: Just completed Nonessential Government Employee Nap #1, followed by cleaning Nonessential Feline Vomit Regolith out of the carpet. Starting to miss the boredom of the now-absent Nonessential Government Employment as it did not include ten Nonessential Felines as my co-inhabitants. Facing imminent cleaning of Nonessential Feline litterboxes. Did not think being a Data Analyst/Statistician was Nonessential. On to the Litterboxes.

https://www.wspa.com/news/non-essent...irus-concerns/
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Mar-20 at 05:38 PM.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Issues with my car (failed its WOF (Warrant of Fitness) yesterday) so needed to check the WOF on my bike so I know I have transport while I get the car sorted. I had a vague idea of the expiry date on the bike (just not a detail I tend to remember exactly, and don't look at it every day.)

Lying in bed this morning, pulled up the Govt website that lets me check by entering my plate, voila, I've actually got a few months on the bike still.

The bike was literally 2 m away from me when I did that; but a quick twiddle on the phone was easier than going out and looking at it.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Stay-at-Home Diary, Day One: Just completed Nonessential Government Employee Nap #1, followed by cleaning Nonessential Feline Vomit Regolith out of the carpet. Starting to miss the boredom of the now-absent Nonessential Government Employment as it did not include ten Nonessential Felines as my co-inhabitants. Facing imminent cleaning of Nonessential Feline litterboxes. Did not think being a Data Analyst/Statistician was Nonessential. On to the Litterboxes.

https://www.wspa.com/news/non-essent...irus-concerns/
    Eeewwwwww!

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Eeewwwwww!
    Cat with diarrhea has been, um, active, and cats with smelly leftovers are, um, also active. Film at 11.
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Mar-20 at 09:37 PM.

I saw a mouse in the house yesterday. Can I borrow a cat?

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    I saw a mouse in the house yesterday. Can I borrow a cat?
    Our cats have been seen to surround a baby mouse and sniff it, doing nothing to harm it. I had to get the mouse and get it out of the house without the cats' help. They are below worthless.

A friend of mine has had several cats over the past 40 years, and he says that most of them appeared to have non-aggression treaties with mice, which are plentiful in his rural environment.

1 h 20 m down the hill and back up again. Now have two traps.

The universe teases me. On the way back I read the pack and it said peanut butter works best as bait. Then I passed the local supermarket that I refuse to use, and they had a big sign advertising a sale on peanut butter.

A little unfit and over dressed for the weather; sweated so much one woman pedestrian had a look on her face of "is that a fever??!!".

Edit: about 30 minutes after setting the traps I already had one. Weirdly, the trap instructions said to place the open end against the wall, but the way the mouse was caught it seemed it'd climbed over the body of the trap, not come along the wall to the bait.

The mouse was light tan/grey and I'm sure the one I saw yesterday was more like black. So it seems I have/had more than one.

Also, the cheese was gone, so I seem to have catered a mouse wake.
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2020-Mar-21 at 04:08 AM.

I submitted a song parody to the website Sailing Scuttlebutt, and they actually published it!

Quote Originally Posted by kaiyeves View Post
    i submitted a song parody to the website sailing scuttlebutt, and they actually published it!
    partay!

Exclamation

The latest on gas prices in upstate South Carolina...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	24984  

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    A friend of mine has had several cats over the past 40 years, and he says that most of them appeared to have non-aggression treaties with mice, which are plentiful in his rural environment.
    The souls of the many deceased mice* which graced our doorstep when we had outdoor kitties beg to differ.

*And other small critters. Shrews were popular.

Yesterday, I stopped at my best friend's house to get boxes. (Her partner and I stayed six feet apart the whole time, and he was an adult I could talk to for a bit, which I desperately needed after a week with the kids.) I was just saying, "Okay, I have to go finish my errands [picking up food we were running low on and my medication] and go home" when his cat sat on my lap. Obviously, I stayed until the cat decided to move.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The souls of the many deceased mice* which graced our doorstep when we had outdoor kitties beg to differ.

*And other small critters. Shrews were popular.
    I used to have a cat that seemed very adept at stunning small animals to bringing inside the house. One time, he snuck a bird in the house and let it go. When he tried it again, I wouldn't let him in until he dropped it. Not to be outsmarted, he found a basement window with a loose screen and brought it in that way. Crazy cat. It seemed like he wanted a pet, not a meal. Or to make me do some sort of crazy chase through the house after a live bird.

By the way, rolling up a very old beach towel then unfurling it as the bird goes past is a great way to catch one in the house. The older, lighter and thinner the towel the better. I tried a regular bed sheet and a pillow case, but the sheet is unwieldy and the pillow case is too small or the bird gets inside of it*. The towel doesn't do much damage to the house or the bird.

One time, I had a bird fall down our chimney and get stuck inside the furnace vent. I had to cut the vent to get the bird out of the chimney. Since I was holding a tool and the bird was very excited to get out of there, I caught him bare handed. I ran through the whole house with the bird in front of me like cartoon character holding a time-bomb. I didn't let go of it until I reached the street which was a great show for all the neighbors. I don't know why, it just seemed "natural". My neighbor picked that moment to come over and point out the chimney cap/cover had fallen off, so I couldn't even pretend no one saw me.

*Edit - When a bird gets inside of a pillow case, it is rather humbling when you discover who is better at getting the bird out of the case, you or the bird. Invariably, if it's the bird, it's still in the house.
    Solfe

I started listening to podcast that I listened for a while at 11:30 pm about same the woo around the coronavirus and didn't check to see how long, right now about two and half hours out two and three quarters long.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I used to have a cat that seemed very adept at stunning small animals to bringing inside the house. One time, he snuck a bird in the house and let it go. When he tried it again, I wouldn't let him in until he dropped it. Not to be outsmarted, he found a basement window with a loose screen and brought it in that way. Crazy cat. It seemed like he wanted a pet, not a meal. Or to make me do some sort of crazy chase through the house after a live bird.

By the way, rolling up a very old beach towel then unfurling it as the bird goes past is a great way to catch one in the house. The older, lighter and thinner the towel the better. I tried a regular bed sheet and a pillow case, but the sheet is unwieldy and the pillow case is too small or the bird gets inside of it*. The towel doesn't do much damage to the house or the bird.

One time, I had a bird fall down our chimney and get stuck inside the furnace vent. I had to cut the vent to get the bird out of the chimney. Since I was holding a tool and the bird was very excited to get out of there, I caught him bare handed. I ran through the whole house with the bird in front of me like cartoon character holding a time-bomb. I didn't let go of it until I reached the street which was a great show for all the neighbors. I don't know why, it just seemed "natural". My neighbor picked that moment to come over and point out the chimney cap/cover had fallen off, so I couldn't even pretend no one saw me.

*Edit - When a bird gets inside of a pillow case, it is rather humbling when you discover who is better at getting the bird out of the case, you or the bird. Invariably, if it's the bird, it's still in the house.
    We had a cat you caught a mouse and let it go with my sister on the other side of the room, all I heard was a scream.

Apperantly there is some fake news of Putin uleashing tigers and lions to keep people in doors.

Many, many years ago, I discovered that I love scotch. One time I drank far too much and woke up the next day with a pounding headache. It was a rather unusual headache. If you have ever had someone slam a door in your face so hard you felt wind and your ears rung from the noise, it was just like that. Like having a door slammed in my face every 60 seconds, all day long.

Lesson learned. A taste of scotch is good, more than that is not.

I have since instituted a two drink max. And perhaps not a very big drink max at that. Sometimes, just a taste is better that "a drink".

What is really amusing about this story is, I really don't drink much. Last night, I had a Bloody Mary with a celery stick, an olive and a slice of bacon sticking out of it. My wife tasted it and wanted one. It was only when I was making hers that I realized that I forgot to put any booze in it. The bottle hadn't been opened, I had to break the seal. I drank mine the way it was anyway. I make a great Bloody Mary. Sort of.
    Solfe

Apperantly there is some fake news of Putin uleashing tigers and lions to keep people in doors.
    I would say that at least sounds ridiculous enough to be obviously a joke, but then, this is the Internet...

I've seen a few posts on Facebook, but they were completely and obviously joke posts; I wouldn't call them fake news.

I made the counter-joke that it was "fake news", saying that if the Russians really had done that they would have used bears.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I've seen a few posts on Facebook, but they were completely and obviously joke posts; I wouldn't call them fake news.

I made the counter-joke that it was "fake news", saying that if the Russians really had done that they would have used bears.
    Don't feed the bears! lol.
    Solfe

I think you missed Swift's … uh … point. He actually managed to invoke "lions and tigers and bears." Oh, my.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board