Page 351 of 361 FirstFirst ... 251301341349350351352353 ... LastLast
Results 10,501 to 10,530 of 10823

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Every cloud ...
    The Times reports today that the latest al-Naba newsletter from the terrorist organization ISIS/ISIL/Daesh has warned its members against European travel.

Grant Hutchison
    That is funny on several levels, and we need cheering up.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Same reason as for "Worcester" and "Gloucester". The "c" is silent in placenames ending in "cester", and has been since at least the eighteenth century. Grant Hutchison
    My wife and I were binge-watching YouTube documentaries on Richard III, and I kept seeing the word "LIE kes ter" on road signs, but the announcers were talking about this other city, "LES ter".

Worse, now I am unsure how to pronounce the word "WOR ches ter" (Worcester), which is how I've done it since childhood in Kentucky, which I guess explains everything. LATER: also used to say "WOR chi chess shire", for unknown reasons.

On a vaguely related topic, the finding of Richard III and the genetic discoveries resulting therefrom have struck me as one of the three most important genetic mysteries resolved in the last 20 years, the other two being the finding that President Jefferson did indeed have children with Sally Hemmings, and the discovery of the true (sad) fate of Anastasia Romanov.
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Mar-15 at 09:58 PM.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Worcester = Wooster
    Gloucester = Gloster
    Bicester = Bister
    Alcester = Awlster
    Towcester = Toster
    Rocester = Roaster
    Frocester = Froster

But:

Cirencester = Sirensester

Easy.
    It seems to me that all these names probably had a soft "c" when Latin castrum became -cester, and most of them went on to drop the first syllable of -cester by mashing the two "s" sounds together.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Mar-15 at 11:58 PM.

Reminds me that Versailles in Kentucky is ver-SALES, and in Ohio it is ver-SAL-eez. Louisville, my home town, is pronounced by natives with a drawl: Luh-vul. No one says "Louis-ville"

Or Calais in Maine pronounces the s and in france they do not.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

There's a funny moment in the film Last Night (the 1998 apocalyptic black comedy, not the 2010 romantic drama), in which the character played by Don McKellar says, "I've lived here in Toronto all my life," giving the name its full three syllables, rather than pronouncing it Tronno like a native Torontonian. But McKellar actually is a native Torontonian.

Grant Hutchison

There's a funny moment in the film Last Night (the 1998 apocalyptic black comedy, not the 2010 romantic drama), in which the character played by Don McKellar says, "I've lived here in Toronto all my life," giving the name its full three syllables, rather than pronouncing it Tronno like a native Torontonian. But McKellar actually is a native Torontonian.

Grant Hutchison
    Here in Washington, we pronounce the second "S" in "Des Moines".
    Oh, and the Gloucester Airplane Company changed it name to "Gloster" because of confusion in international customers
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Oh, I just remembered the Arkansas River. It's pronounced "Ar-Kansas" in one state and "Ar-Ken-Saw" in the next.

The BBC once did a TV piece in which a female 1800s character refers to the Wisconsin city of Waukesha (WOK-eh-shaw) as wok-AY-shuh, which caused everyone seeing the scene (in Wisconsin) to laugh and laugh. I was among them.
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Mar-16 at 12:03 AM.

For some reason I've heard Waukesha pronounced. I thought it might be in the context of the American Indian Wars, so I did a Google search to check. Under People Also Ask was the question "What does Waukesha mean in Indian?"
    Ah, the Indian language. Spoken, amazingly, both in North America and Southern Asia. My, how they chatter away to each other when they meet.

Grant Hutchison

For some reason I've heard Waukesha pronounced. I thought it might be in the context of the American Indian Wars, so I did a Google search to check. Under People Also Ask was the question "What does Waukesha mean in Indian?"
    Ah, the Indian language. Spoken, amazingly, both in North America and Southern Asia. My, how they chatter away to each other when they meet. Grant Hutchison
    Columbus's fault! Columbus's fault!

Amuses? Bugs? Makes Happy? Trivial? Or just kind of silly?

My wife is an Avon representative. They previously discontinued their hand sanitzer line, so she bought a a couple of extras. As you may know, hand sanitzer is worth it's weight in gold right now in the USA, for pretty much stupid reasons.
    She just took inventory and found 20 tubes. I'm thinking of starting an on-line auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My wife is an Avon representative. They previously discontinued their hand sanitzer line, so she bought a a couple of extras. As you may know, hand sanitzer is worth it's weight in gold right now in the USA, for pretty much stupid reasons. She just took inventory and found 20 tubes. I'm thinking of starting an on-line auction.
    Planning to get a mansion on Corsica?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Planning to get a mansion on Corsica?
    That might be a little to close to Italy...

Watching Good Eats recorded last year where Alton is using a pandemic as a theme for making bread.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Watching Good Eats recorded last year where Alton is using a pandemic as a theme for making bread.
    Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I took my bicycle out for a ride this afternoon.
    Many people seem to be heeding the official advice. Traffic was light, and people and are apparently avoiding social gatherings by going for a walk around their neighborhood.

I couldn't help but think it sort of looked like the zombie apocalypse.
    Except for the dogs. Many "zombies" had their dogs with them.
    Somewhat similar here. J. and I went to the beach with our dog and saw a few other people also enjoying the sunlight and early warmth. We normally only go to that beach to watch the sunset, so in full daylight we were able to walk much farther down without a fear of coming back in the dark. We got down to an area where boulders had been dumped at the base of a dune cliff to slow the erosion and moving through them required some scrambling and bouldering, so we got a workout even though our gym is closed.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Under People Also Ask was the question "What does Waukesha mean in Indian?"
    Ah, the Indian language. Spoken, amazingly, both in North America and Southern Asia. My, how they chatter away to each other when they meet.

Grant Hutchison
    I wonder if they realize that there is no language called Indian in either of the hemispheres. I wonder if it means something in Asian?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I wonder if they realize that there is no language called Indian in either of the hemispheres. I wonder if it means something in Asian?
    There are many Native American languages, but no common tongue. Heck, they can't even agree on the origin of "Waukesha." It could be Algonquian, Ojibwe, or Potawatomi. But not "Indian."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    There are many Native American languages, but no common tongue. Heck, they can't even agree on the origin of "Waukesha." It could be Algonquian, Ojibwe, or Potawatomi. But not "Indian."
    I thought Waukesha was a Norwegian word.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Here in Washington, we pronounce the second "S" in "Des Moines"
    What about the first “s”? I have heard people say “Dez Moynez, IO-wahh” . . . Difficult to suppress the wince. Luckily, it seems rare. (Much of my family is from Des Moines, though I have only visited.)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post

I once teased an Indian colleague of mine, who was complaining that the university kept sending him a particular student for teaching, who also happened to be Indian.
    "Well," I said, "It's probably because they think you both speak Indian."
    He gave me a balefully dismissive look for a good five seconds before he cottoned on to the fact that I was making a joke about the university's teaching office, rather than expressing my own opinion. (India has seventeen different languages written on its banknotes, and that doesn't even cover its list of official languages.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I thought Waukesha was a Norwegian word.
    Nah. You don't get Norwegian placenames starting with "w". The sound's hardly used in Norwegian--really just for loan words, I think.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    What about the first “s”? I have heard people say “Dez Moynez, IO-wahh” . . . Difficult to suppress the wince. Luckily, it seems rare. (Much of my family is from Des Moines, though I have only visited.)
    Yup, both of them.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Every cloud ...
    The Times reports today that the latest al-Naba newsletter from the terrorist organization ISIS/ISIL/Daesh has warned its members against European travel.

Grant Hutchison
    OK, but that made me laugh.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yup, both of them.
    *wince* Maybe the people I hear with the annoying pronunciation are from Washington.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    *wince* Maybe the people I hear with the annoying pronunciation are from Washington.
    But we do know how to "Sequim" and "Puyallup"!

Meanwhile, the cat woke me up several times in the night to express her concerns about the China Problem. Specifically, that I forgot to put food in the bowl before going to bed and she could see all the way to china in the bottom.

Last week I got a notice in the mail from the Census Bureau, instructing me to fill out the census form online. I did so and noted that I should ignore any duplicate letters that might come. I have received two in the past two days.

A couple of things that sales are up on in Nova Scotia, alcohol and pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Last week I got a notice in the mail from the Census Bureau, instructing me to fill out the census form online. I did so and noted that I should ignore any duplicate letters that might come. I have received two in the past two days.
    I'm having real trouble replying to this within the rules of the forum. Did they all have the same authentication code?

I know with absolute certainty that I am double-counted in the 1970 census.
    I filled out a form in my college town as instructed. I later found out that my mother included me on the form in the town my family lived in, absolutely contrary to instructions. No way she was going to omit her baby boy! So the state of Washington and City of Tacoma had one extra resident in 1970.