Page 369 of 372 FirstFirst ... 269319359367368369370371 ... LastLast
Results 11,041 to 11,070 of 11147

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Yep! Made me recall something:

I don't watch much free to air T.V. these days, but I do watch a couple of quiz shows while I cook and eat dinner. There's a regular quite long advertising spot in these shows from one of those "as seen on T.V." type of sellers, think "ginsu knives", or the latest exercise machine fad.

I realised that often the "free" thing they add to this months product, is the thing they were selling last month that was a "must have".
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Like how the envelope labeled “IMPORTANT INFORMATION: OPEN IMMEDIATELY” is always junk advertising. The actual important stuff comes in understated envelopes.
    I get the ones that try to make themselves resemble official VA correspondence without actual falsifying it. I like my home mortgage just fine, thank you little no-name lending outfits.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Our cable TV is out. The internet works. I briefly considered calling the cable company. Very briefly, considering what happened the last time!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post

I realised that often the "free" thing they add to this months product, is the thing they were selling last month that was a "must have".
    Well, since you must have it, they sent it to you free!

Makes perfect sense.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Apparently the folks at xkcd like to browse Cosmoquest....or else thread necromancy is a bigger problem than I thought in the webosphere...

https://xkcd.com/2363/

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Apparently the folks at xkcd like to browse Cosmoquest....or else thread necromancy is a bigger problem than I thought in the webosphere...

The fact that Julian is the child of Nin85 in that cartoon reminds me of a similar experience I had when I still worked as an anaesthetist.
    I was doing my preoperative visit to a lady who had a visitor sitting at her bedside--a young woman with a baby on her knee. The patient had a question about a previous hospital admission, so I went and got her notes and leafed through them to find an answer for her. While doing so, I discovered my own handwriting in her notes.
    "Oh," I said. "I see I gave you an epidural a while ago."
    "Ah yes," said the patient. "That'd be for the birth of this one." And she pointed towards her visitor. For a second I thought she was talking about the baby ... but no, it was the young woman holding the baby.

Grant Hutchison

Just wait until Gillian kids find this or Kai's and what about BigD's grandkids.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Lost my wristwatch on Saturday.

Ordered a new one on Sunday.

Received it on Wednesday.

Found the missing wristwatch on Thursday.

People have watches. ;-)

People have watches. ;-)
    They do but they don't tell time, they measure your heart rate and display messages.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    They do but they don't tell time, they measure your heart rate and display messages.
    "It doesn't tell time?"

"There was no more room for the clock!"
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Kind of reverse ... the above clip remind me of the scene in series 2 or 3 of the Simpsons where Homers' brother needs to invent something. I'm sure Homer suggests he just take something existing and stick a clock on it. (Failed to find clip.)

People have watches. ;-)
    I do. I have two and always wear one of them.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I do. I have two and always wear one of them.
    "A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    "A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
    Or understands measurement errors and confidence limits.

If I need to know what time it is, I can:

A) tilt my wrist slightly and glance at my wristwatch, or

B) Stand up if I happen to be in a sitting position, dig into my pocket to retrieve my phone, turn it right side up if I pulled it out upside down, properly place my thumb on the button, wait for the screen to illuminate, and read the time displayed. All of that is assuming that I didn't set my phone down somewhere without realizing it.

Yes, I wear a wristwatch.

People have watches. ;-)
    I don't know what you mean by this, and people seem to have interpreted it in different ways. Are you talking about reading the time off a mobile phone (as jamesabrown interpreted it) or something you wear on your wrist (as The Backroad Astronomer understood it).
    I ask because here in the UK a "watch" would be a timepiece small enough to carry in a watchpocket, or wear on the wrist. I haven't previously encountered "watch" for the time display on a phone, and I'm always interested in regional variations in usage.

Grant Hutchison

I totally missed the date in the first panel and didn't get it until I looked on "Explain XKCD".
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Or understands measurement errors and confidence limits.
    IIRC, on the old "Addams Family" TV show, Gomez would always look simultaneously at both his wristwatch and his pocketwatch whenever he needed to know the time.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    IIRC, on the old "Addams Family" TV show, Gomez would always look simultaneously at both his wristwatch and his pocketwatch whenever he needed to know the time.
    If I'm bored at work (and am actually physically there) I can always compare the times on my phone, watch, phones (which are a computer network), various computers and servers, and on physical clocks around the building, to see how much they differ from each other.

I go around the house every now and again syncing the clocks. The microwave and the stove both have digital clocks that slowly but inevitably start showing wildly different times. Within a few minutes, I'm willing to accept "eh, close enough." Though Graham's the only one who actually has to be anywhere; until this month, time was largely irrelevant in our household since we moved into the house.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I don't know what you mean by this, and people seem to have interpreted it in different ways. Are you talking about reading the time off a mobile phone (as jamesabrown interpreted it) or something you wear on your wrist (as The Backroad Astronomer understood it).
    I ask because here in the UK a "watch" would be a timepiece small enough to carry in a watchpocket, or wear on the wrist. I haven't previously encountered "watch" for the time display on a phone, and I'm always interested in regional variations in usage.

Grant Hutchison
    At least here in the US, it's become a generational thing, where younger people are less likely to wear a wristwatch on the grounds that if they wanted to know what time it was, they'd look at their phones. (Odds are, they're looking at them anyway.)

For old folks like me, who've been wearing a wristwatch continuously for forty-plus years, I feel half-dressed without one.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    If I need to know what time it is, I can:

A) tilt my wrist slightly and glance at my wristwatch, or

B) Stand up if I happen to be in a sitting position, dig into my pocket to retrieve my phone, turn it right side up if I pulled it out upside down, properly place my thumb on the button, wait for the screen to illuminate, and read the time displayed. All of that is assuming that I didn't set my phone down somewhere without realizing it.

Yes, I wear a wristwatch.
    OR, the really simple method ...

Turn to the person nearest you and ask, "What time is it?"
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

At least here in the US, it's become a generational thing, where younger people are less likely to wear a wristwatch on the grounds that if they wanted to know what time it was, they'd look at their phones. (Odds are, they're looking at them anyway.)

For old folks like me, who've been wearing a wristwatch continuously for forty-plus years, I feel half-dressed without one.
    I used to wear a watch, and I am not a big smart phone user but some years ago when I needed to replace a watch I noticed that between my work computer, wall and other clocks at work and home, car clock, tablet, and desktop and laptop computers at home, that there really wasn’t much point. If one or more of those weren’t immediately available I could then fish out the smartphone.

Another factor was that the high quality calculator/watch I liked was no longer being made. Newer models were a bit junky and less capable.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Sure, same in the UK. I was just intrigued to learn if the word "watch" is now being applied to mobile phone clocks. It would make sense, but I've never encountered it.

I find most aspects of mobile phone technology unsatisfactory. They're a poor substitute for a wristwatch, for a camera with proper lenses, and for a dedicated GPS device that is adequately waterproofed and shockproofed. They're a pretty rubbish way to watch movies, listen to music, or read books. And, at least in my part of the world, for my purposes, they're not much good at making actual phone calls, either.

And nowadays they're also inconveniently large. I don't want to have to choose what I wear based on whether there's a place to accommodate a giant mobile phone.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Sep-25 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Lost my wristwatch on Saturday.

Ordered a new one on Sunday.

Received it on Wednesday.

Found the missing wristwatch on Thursday.
    The saying I've seen is "The quickest way to find something around the house is the buy a replacement."
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

As for watches I use my cell phone to check the time and play music and take pictures.

As in amuses someone else, this morning my boss from the auction company called and said they called the day before. I was suppose to be at work and I was late. After a me saying I will be there as soon as possible and then he admitted he was just kidding. And there is an auction tomorrow and they need first thing in the morning and it will an all day long kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    OR, the really simple method ...

Turn to the person nearest you and ask, "What time is it?"
    Me: Hey Siri, what time is it?
    Siri: It's 9:43 AM.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Person next to me in bar: Hey Siri, what time is it?
    Siri: I'm not sure I understand.
    Person: Siri. What. Time. Is. It?
    Person: Siri. WHAT. TIME. IS. IT?
    Me (checks wristwatch): For pity's sake. It's ten to nine.

So, pretty much the equivalent of asking the person nearest you. Except with added hostility.

Grant Hutchison

And now there are people using their watches as smartphones.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright