Page 7 of 519 FirstFirst ... 567891757107507 ... LastLast

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

People who say "ax" instead of "ask". Come on, "ask" is one of those rarities of the English language, a word that is pronounced as it is spelled and spelled as it is pronounced. There is no excuse for getting this one wrong!

Discussions about how things vary in different parts of the world, and a poster just says "Here" without elaborating, and so I look at their location flag and it's either blank or "amusingly" uninformative.

I've complained about this before, and, in a break with tradition, people appear to have taken notice - it hasn't been a problem for a long time.

I'd just like to add to the tea bag issues. I too get angry when the little tag jumps over the side into the tea.. but, worse still.. I've had a cold recently and had a teaspoon of honey in the mug, so of course when the tag dived in, it went straight into the honey so I had a sticky tag to then deal with - can life get any worse???

BTW, the inflating teabag is caused by the top of the bag getting wet as you pour in the hot water, thus creating an airtight seal. So when pouring the hot water in, aim *away* from the bag so it gets wet from the bottom up. (Which then means you are more likely to hit the string and drag the tag over and in...)

Quote Originally Posted by nosbig5 View Post
    A smoke detector beeps upstairs. I don't know which bedroom it came from, so I go and stand in the hallway and wait for it to beep again. Only it doesn't beep again. I think I can wait it out, but soon I realize I'm just wasting my time, I've got better things to do, and I walk back downstairs.

A smoke detector beeps upstairs.
    Yep.

Petty Tweets, particularly personal status updates:

Such as "my current mood (now, as opposed to merely an hour ago)" or whatever. :-\

Unfollow that sort of thing pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    One expression really annoys me: potentially dangerous.
    That's what I said earlier. Today I read on the BBC newpage, about a road collapsed due to heavy rain

Members of the public have been urged to stay away from the "potentially dangerous" road.
    So what is an actively dangerous road then?

A smoke detector beeps upstairs. I don't know which bedroom it came from, so I go and stand in the hallway and wait for it to beep again. Only it doesn't beep again. I think I can wait it out, but soon I realize I'm just wasting my time, I've got better things to do, and I walk back downstairs.

A smoke detector beeps upstairs.
    Replace ALL the batteries, twice a year!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Replace ALL the batteries, twice a year!
    Good one Treb, I would consider going around the house twice per year and replacing all the perfectly good batteries in my detectors to be trivially annoying!

1.5 volt cells described as batteries!

Knew I had another annoyance somewhere

Debbie downers.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial Mechanic View Post
    Someone saying "We are making good progress." Is there such a thing as bad progress?
    There's poor progress. There's slow progress. There's reasonable progress. We're making better progress than yesterday. And so on.

Good one Treb, I would consider going around the house twice per year and replacing all the perfectly good batteries in my detectors to be trivially annoying!
    And potentially life saving. Not exactly trivial.

1.5 volt cells described as batteries!

Knew I had another annoyance somewhere
    You sound like my 3rd or 4th grade teacher, who was somewhat obsessed with that trivial difference. And most smoke detectors in my experience use 9V batteries!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    There's poor progress. There's slow progress. There's reasonable progress. We're making better progress than yesterday. And so on.
    And the opposite of progress is . . . congress!

The food/packaging complaints reminded me of a couple: protein milkshake powders that aren't very good at getting mixed in, so you end up with solid deposits of the powder stuck to the sides of the glass... and boxes of rice or dehydrated potato flakes where the opening seems to be designed to not work right.

No matter which I choose, there always seems to be some time-consuming issue of the person in front of me, just after I have unload my trolley onto the belt.
    Here's one about troublesome customers: I hate having noticed that customers in a certain demographic group can be counted on to always create this problem. I didn't want to start predicting people's behavior on sight based on demographics, but I recently worked for a while at a place that seems to disproportionately attract this group, and experience forced me to notice it. And this particular prediction unfortunately never fails, so (although it is useful for avoiding getting in line behind them) I can't just put it out of mind and go back to not knowing even though I don't work at the place that made me notice it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial Mechanic View Post
    People who say "ax" instead of "ask". Come on, "ask" is one of those rarities of the English language, a word that is pronounced as it is spelled and spelled as it is pronounced. There is no excuse for getting this one wrong!
    Actually, iirc that pronunciation has been switching back and forth over the centuries.

Here's one that I do that probably bothers others.

I noticed years ago that dogs clue in on vowel sounds to interpret commands. Eventually I resorted to using words with similar vowels or vowels alone, so e.g. "go for a ride?" became "fried gopher?" and "sit" became "i".

I get weird looks in the park when walking my little charges.

The way grocery stores shelve 12-packs of pop, the ones that are packed in two rows of six. They have perforations to make a handle but they are stacked so that the handle is either on the side or bottom. It would be so much easier if it were on the top, so you could just reach in and pop in the handle to pick it up. Instead you need both hands.

I suppose it's not the store's fault. They stack them so the brand name is rightside up, which causes the annoyance.

Also, I wish that when I'm filling out a form on my smart phone, the text editor would recognize the ZIP code field and go straight to the numbers screen. There's no chance I would be entering letters there so it would save me a keystroke to switch.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie View Post
    Also, I wish that when I'm filling out a form on my smart phone, the text editor would recognize the ZIP code field and go straight to the numbers screen. There's no chance I would be entering letters there so it would save me a keystroke to switch.
    Is it meant to be used internationally? Postal codes in other countries may have letters in them.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie View Post
    The way grocery stores shelve 12-packs of pop, the ones that are packed in two rows of six. They have perforations to make a handle but they are stacked so that the handle is either on the side or bottom. It would be so much easier if it were on the top, so you could just reach in and pop in the handle to pick it up. Instead you need both hands.

I suppose it's not the store's fault. They stack them so the brand name is rightside up, which causes the annoyance.

Ditto on the soda boxes. It also annoys me when they haven't maintained the perforating machine and you can't open the little flap that's supposed let one can at a time out without ripping the box apart.

I noticed that annoyance on my new Droid phone just yesterday. Nick's "international" explanation makes sense.

Boxes of matches annoy me. Where I live, you can only buy one kind of box, of saftey matches. You have to strike them on the box, and the piece of material is never large enough to ensure you can light every match, because it ususally wears out after using about three quarters of the box. And it's almost impossible to keep a match alight because they seem to be made of a wood which is very reluctant to burn.

For the record, sentence fragments don't bother me as much as people using "but yet" in cold blood.

I was reminded yesterday of my little sister's annoying tendency to provide you with information that it's obvious from context you already know. ("Yeah, we're just going to drive straight up to Olympia today." "Did you know that you can drive that in about twenty hours?") I have a lot more irritations from dealing with my family, but I would put it to you that a lot of them aren't all that trivial.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Why is it that people have spent the last half century designing cars with so many unnecessary and sophisticated accessories, and there is never a device to hold a bottle of wine to stop it rolling about on the floor?
    My 2011 car has a widened portion of the storage strip inside the front door labeled "bottle only," which I guess implies that it isn't a cup holder.

But I guess that the authorities would frown upon keeping a bottle of wine there for the occasional swig whilst motoring. Spoilsports!
    : drunken 'ouch' : <---pseudo face

Not all that trivial: Morons throwing tacks on the road at the Tour de France, giving the defending champion three flat tires. In previous stages there've been dimwits with smokebombs and flares along the road, causing smoke and sparks to drift onto the riders.

Not all that trivial: Morons throwing tacks on the road at the Tour de France, giving the defending champion three flat tires. .
    I wonder how many people with no interest in cycling get their lives messed up because main roads are closed for this event. This would annoy me massively, if I were confined to my house for the day because of some sporting event. I wonder whether the tacks are some extreme reaction of that kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
    Is it meant to be used internationally? Postal codes in other countries may have letters in them.

Nick
    International internet sites that insist I fill in my State.

Even worse, those that force me to pick from a drop down list, apparently made by someone who thinks Alabama is a perfectly reasonable choice for a state in Denmark.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

I wonder how many people with no interest in cycling get their lives messed up because main roads are closed for this event. This would annoy me massively, if I were confined to my house for the day because of some sporting event. I wonder whether the tacks are some extreme reaction of that kind.
    It's a huge financial boon to the towns the race passes through, they fight for the privilege. And the roads are only closed for a few hours, much of which is to allow the spectators to get situated. In this case, it was on a narrow little road on top of a mountain pass. Solidly lined with cheering people, along with one idiot.

And potentially life saving. Not exactly trivial.
    Except of course that my smoke detectors BEEP when the battery charge is getting low, which is better, I think, than simply replacing the batteries with randomly-chosen periodicity.

Something my kids do while making PB&J sandwiches (which I do not eat, two great flavors that do NOT go great together imo): using a knife rife with jelly to dip into the peanut butter jar (or vice versa), forever tainting the container and making it completely unusable, at least for me. The kids only use these items to make PB&J, doesn't matter to them if cross-pollination occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Speaking of bicyclists coming up from behind, most will honk or call out well in advance. Which is a good thing!
    Got to be careful doing that, as well.

For those who don't want to click the link, a bicyclist coming up behind an older woman on a pathway rang his bell and called out, "To your left!" The woman accommodatingly did as asked and stepped to her left, which (of course) was where the cyclist himself was going. The collision knocked her to the ground, where she hit her head, which ultimately killed her.

I almost hit a young boy on a bicycle while taking my kids to school. I was going south and making a right turn to the west - the two or three cars in front of me were also turning right at the same intersection (we had no stop signs or lights - the intersecting streets had stop signs). The boy was riding his bike, northbound, on the sidewalk, and just went right through the intersection, between me and the car in front of me. Because of the vehicles in front of me, I didn't even see him until he was right there where I was turning.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmeister View Post
    Retail clerks who ask "How are you?" but don't want to hear that you've had a crappy day.
    Wanna see 'em go into full mental lockup? When they ask "How are you?" your answer should be along the lines of
    "I'm at a critical juncture in the existentialism of life." Watch their eyes spin like a slot machine...

Something that never fails to torque my shorts...
    Loose/looser when it should be lose/loser. Don't they teach spelling and/or grammar anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie in Dayton View Post
    Wanna see 'em go into full mental lockup? When they ask "How are you?" your answer should be along the lines of
    "I'm at a critical juncture in the existentialism of life." Watch their eyes spin like a slot machine...
    Depends on the clerk. The fun part of being in a college town is that you get clerks who can respond in kind.

Something that never fails to torque my shorts...
    Loose/looser when it should be lose/loser. Don't they teach spelling and/or grammar anymore?
    As far as I can tell, no.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"