Page 53 of 519 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 15561

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

I think it's obvious when people don't care. There are other signs in their writing. They become difficult to understand, and when you tell them this, they tell you it's your fault.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Same here. Trying to explain to them is usually a mute point.

(intentional)
    I had a boss who used that phrase at least once in every conversation.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Ok; now the serious reply:

I can understand when somebody makes a slipup on occasion (I do that on occasion) that the "corrector" can come across as a grammar Nazi.
    It's the ones (like the ones you indicate)... the ones that don't give a rat's petuti and respond with "so what, you know what I mean".

It's hard to say where to draw that line though. I can forgive some people's mistakes a lot easier than others (like a reporter).
    I broadly agree. It bothers me when people don't care, because the people who don't care typically know one language. My students, whose first language is Arabic, Spanish, Russian or whatever care about getting their English right.

And yes, a typo, or getting one apostrophe in the wrong place, is no big deal. Using the wrong form of its/it's consistently is an act of not caring.

I once worked with a guy whose last name is "Wine."

He mused about retiring and opening a liquor store called "Wine's Liquors" just to annoy those who would assume the grammar was wrong.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Here's something trivial that annoys me. Those little numeric stickers that are placed on every piece of fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Here's something trivial that annoys me. Those little numeric stickers that are placed on every piece of fruit.
    Especially when you don't see it and take a bite!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Especially when you don't see it and take a bite!
    It could have been worse. Just imaging taking a bite out of an apple and then seeing half a worm.

It's like the old joke:

Q. What's worse than biting into an apple and finding a worm?

A. Being thrown into a South American prison, discovering you've got a horrible disease whilst incarcerated, then getting home to discover your Sky+ Box has failed to record the latest episodes of The Big Bang Theory.

Lately, when I search for something, I get the list of links, glance over them, and just as I click the one I want, the sponsored links (ads) pop onto the page, directly under the mouse pointer. I've clicked on more ads in the last two months than I have in a combined 20+ of Internetery.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

At one of my former employers, the word "mnemonic" (clearly meant from context) was so often misspelled "pneumonic" that I got called out for spelling it correctly.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

One of my old bosses was always using \ in his documents, e.g. "an analogue\digital converter". I had to proofread his documents and got fed up of making the same corrections over and over again.

Me: "The backslash is only ever used for paths in DOS."
    Him: "So when is it used in ordinary English text?"
    Me: "Never."

Did that put a stop to it? No it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by KozmoDean7 View Post
    I hate when people incorrectly use, their, there, they're, hear, here, where, were, your and you're
    There are times when I enjoy seeing someone make such a mistake. Most recently, from a FB page:

"Most people join the military because there to dumb to go to college."

Gotta love it!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

My wife and I have a mutual friend, who* posts the craziest Facebook status updates. She has completely abandoned English:

"Ahm zo made, I heads asploded." (I am so mad, my head exploded.)

For a time, I thought she was trying to be funny or using some "English to Internet" translation software. Nope, she's dumb as a rock. I had to delete her because her posts kept creeping back into my feed as people commented on her lack of communication skills. She would argue with her friends about the grammar of that, ah... "style"? of text.

I figure you can break a lot of rules when using a different medium, as in: 'that, ah... "style"? of text.' But, there are so many things "wrong" with that structure. Experimentally, humorously, I think it is ok; but posting solid walls of the junk is horrible.

*I looked up the rules for whom and who. I am still not clear on that subject.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I looked up the rules for whom and who. I am still not clear on that subject.
    Who is for subject, whom is for object.

I sometimes tell my students that the subject is the guy watching TV, the verb is the remote control in his hand, and the object is the TV. Subject controls verb, verb controls object. (There isn't always an object. "I washed the dog." The dog is the object. "I danced." There's no object.)

For instance, "That's the girl who bought my car." The verb is "buy". Who did the buying? The girl. So she's the subject.

Contrast with, "That's the girl whom I kissed." The verb is "kiss". Who did the kissing? I did, so the girl is not the subject. Who was kissed? The girl was kissed, so she's the object.

But if you're really not sure about this, just say "who". Saying "who" when "whom" is meant is not as bad as saying "whom" when "who" is meant. Similarly, writing "its" when "it's" is meant is not as bad as writing "it's" when "its" is meant.
    Last edited by Paul Beardsley; 2013-Jan-04 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Improved clarity, I hope.

I looked up the rules for whom and who. I am still not clear on that subject.
    That's the problem right there. "Whom" is never a subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    It could have been worse. Just imaging taking a bite out of an apple and then seeing half a worm.
    I once took a business trip on an Amtrak train with a colleague. We both bought sandwiches from the cafe car for lunch.
    He found a long hair in his sandwich, which I ribbed him about.

His response was, "At least I found mine."

/I've probably posted this at least once before.

My wife and I have a mutual friend, who* posts the craziest Facebook status updates. She has completely abandoned English:

"Ahm zo made, I heads asploded." (I am so mad, my head exploded.)

For a time, I thought she was trying to be funny or using some "English to Internet" translation software. ...
    That's Cat Speak. People will post photos of their cats with captions of the cats saying something in Cat Speak. "I haz cheezburger," f'rinstance.

Your friend is not dumb. She's highly conversant in a different language. (Cats probably love her.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    That's Cat Speak. People will post photos of their cats with captions of the cats saying something in Cat Speak. "I haz cheezburger," f'rinstance.
    I had the LOL Cats 2012 desk calendar. It got a bit "much." Also, too many photos weren't of good quality, imo (amateurish, dim, grainy).

This year it's Bad Cat 2013 desk calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    One of my old bosses was always using \ in his documents, e.g. "an analogue\digital converter". I had to proofread his documents and got fed up of making the same corrections over and over again.

Me: "The backslash is only ever used for paths in DOS."
    Him: "So when is it used in ordinary English text?"
    Me: "Never."

Did that put a stop to it? No it didn't.
    When I was doing my brief stint as a copy editor, someone submitted an article in which he never used "at." He always used the symbol. And I explained, patiently, that you never use that symbol in formal writing. (Personally, I don't use it in informal writing, but one argument at a time!) Normally, when I was working, I didn't bother explaining to the person who wrote the article; half the time, given it was a school paper, I didn't even see them. However, I did know this guy, and while I disliked him, I also knew that he routinely did writing to represent our entire school. He was the student member of the Board of Trustees or some such. His response? "So why is it on the keyboard?"

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    When I was doing my brief stint as a copy editor, someone submitted an article in which he never used "at." He always used the symbol. And I explained, patiently, that you never use that symbol in formal writing. (Personally, I don't use it in informal writing, but one argument at a time!) Normally, when I was working, I didn't bother explaining to the person who wrote the article; half the time, given it was a school paper, I didn't even see them. However, I did know this guy, and while I disliked him, I also knew that he routinely did writing to represent our entire school. He was the student member of the Board of Trustees or some such. His response? "So why is it on the keyboard?"
    That is infuriating.

It also reminds me of the early days of email. My wife asked my father (an accountant) his new email address. My father insisted on calling @ "at cost" because that's what it's called in accounting. So Clare didn't know whether to write "paulsdad@cost" and wait for the rest of the domain or write "paulsdadatcost" and wait for the @ symbol or what.

I sometimes use the @ symbol in my draft writing. If I can't think of a name for a character I'll put, "That day, @ came to the house." The idea is that I can search for all @s, knowing I only ever use it for things that need to be changed. It hardly ever works, though - if I don't know the name of the @ who came to the house, I often can't proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    ... if I don't know the name of the @ who came to the house, I often can't proceed.
    Hey! You're not using a symbol to get around the language rule, are you?
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Hey! You're not using a symbol to get around the language rule, are you?
    F@ chance of th@!

Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

When a post-reply you've made at an e-group is the last in a discussion...and just hangs there. No further replies.

New year... New Insurance.
    I think I just refilled a prescription and it only took making 6 and recieving 2 phone calls.

Your friend is not dumb. She's highly conversant in a different language. (Cats probably love her.)
    No, she's a moron. The status "Ahm zo made, I heads asploded." was in response to being fired for talking to customers in that fashion. If it happened just once, that would be have been a case of humor gone wrong or a humorless boss. But less than a week later she was fired on the first day of her new job for the exact same behavior.
    Solfe

New year... New Insurance.
    I think I just refilled a prescription and it only took making 6 and recieving 2 phone calls.
    I had to switch insurance when I got pregnant. They switched a bunch of Medicaid patients in Washington over to HMOs last year, and the closest OB-GYN that took my insurance was about twenty miles away. The one I see now is about that many blocks away!

No, she's a moron. The status "Ahm zo made, I heads asploded." was in response to being fired for talking to customers in that fashion. If it happened just once, that would be have been a case of humor gone wrong or a humorless boss. But less than a week later she was fired on the first day of her new job for the exact same behavior.
    I'd fire her, too. That's ridiculous and irresponsible of her.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I'd fire her, too. That's ridiculous and irresponsible of her.
    What baffles me is she has been to college for nursing, but obviously can't get a job as one of those. It is sad and satisfying that the public is safe due to her strange behavior.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    That's the problem right there. "Whom" is never a subject.
    So why was "whom" a subject in that sentence? Shouldn't you have made it "who"?
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

"Whom is never the subject."
    Norman, coordinate!