Page 505 of 519 FirstFirst ... 5405455495503504505506507515 ... LastLast
Results 15,121 to 15,150 of 15561

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Our house has a surprisingly large number of smoke detectors. Each is hardwired, but also uses a 9V battery.
    I dutifully replace the batteries every year, but they are fairly expensive*. It also turns out that they are not all manufactured to the same size - with the cheaper ones too big for my detectors.

I guess I could wait until a detector complains before replacing its battery, but I *know* that would happen at 2 AM.

*I wish I could find a use for these "still-good" batteries.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Two part annoyance, related. One, I really don't like video news. By that, I mean I'm reading whatever news website I fancy and see an article that catches my interest. Only the 'article' is not an article at all, but a video clip. No. I want to read some proper reporting with proper editing. And two, I really get annoyed if I decide to run a video clip and then have some entirely unrelated video autoplay afterwards after I've moved on to another article (or am reading the article accompanying the first video). Even major news outlets do this and it's annoying.
    I've wanted to post about this too, but even thinking about it makes me angry. The ones that irritate me the most are the videos, completely unrelated to the article, that come into view as I'm scrolling down the page, and suddenly start playing, preceded by an advertisement. Do they really think that people who are reading the article want this distraction? Or do they make a micro-penny on the fact that an ad loads before the video plays, even though I hit pause on the loading before the ad has a chance to be seen?

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Two part annoyance, related. One, I really don't like video news. By that, I mean I'm reading whatever news website I fancy and see an article that catches my interest. Only the 'article' is not an article at all, but a video clip. No. I want to read some proper reporting with proper editing. And two, I really get annoyed if I decide to run a video clip and then have some entirely unrelated video autoplay afterwards after I've moved on to another article (or am reading the article accompanying the first video). Even major news outlets do this and it's annoying.
    I know what you mean. I'm not going to waste 30 seconds watching a video when I'm used to extracting what's useful in a few glances at a printed article in maybe 10 seconds or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I guess I could wait until a detector complains before replacing its battery, but I *know* that would happen at 2 AM.
    This happened to me years ago. The sound was a periodic single beep that came into my dreams and sounded to me like the introduction to the track "Echoes" from Pink Floyd's "Meddle" album, but it morphed into the heavy beat of "One of these Days" at about the point where the only lyrics in the piece are spoken in a really grotesque voice. It was a nightmare. Change the battery!

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Our house has a surprisingly large number of smoke detectors. Each is hardwired, but also uses a 9V battery.
    I dutifully replace the batteries every year, but they are fairly expensive*. It also turns out that they are not all manufactured to the same size - with the cheaper ones too big for my detectors.

*I wish I could find a use for these "still-good" batteries.
    9V batteries come in different sizes?

If the detectors themselves are even close to getting on in years, I'd seriously consider replacing the detectors with something standard.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

The first time I heard a whippoorwill, its repetition was so perfect I thought it was an alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    9V batteries come in different sizes?

If the detectors themselves are even close to getting on in years, I'd seriously consider replacing the detectors with something standard.
    Apparently, some manufacturers make batteries slightly bigger than others. If you check the Amazon reviews, youll see this is so pervasive that people are posting measurements.

Ive replaced one detector with a unit containing a non-replaceable 10 year battery. Im not sure if it will decide it needs replacement at 2AM

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I've wanted to post about this too, but even thinking about it makes me angry. The ones that irritate me the most are the videos, completely unrelated to the article, that come into view as I'm scrolling down the page, and suddenly start playing, preceded by an advertisement. Do they really think that people who are reading the article want this distraction? Or do they make a micro-penny on the fact that an ad loads before the video plays, even though I hit pause on the loading before the ad has a chance to be seen?
    My local news site will force me to watch a 30 second ad before showing the 5 second clip they tricked me into trying to see (by not making clear the link was to an item that was just the video) which usually turns out to be something I didn't need to see anyway.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    My local news site will force me to watch a 30 second ad before showing the 5 second clip they tricked me into trying to see (by not making clear the link was to an item that was just the video) which usually turns out to be something I didn't need to see anyway.
    Yes, and that reminds me of YouTube advertising. Used to be Id get ads at the start, but if they were longer than a certain amount there would be an option to skip it. Then ads mostly stopped and stayed that way for a long time, that seemed to be due to a wave of demonetization, and a number of content creators either faded away or found alternate methods to get paid for their videos.

Now, though, they are playing ridiculously long ads to start, then interrupting short videos again sometimes with the same long ad. I find sometimes I can avoid it or get a different and shorter ad if I skip out of the video and restart, but it is a major pain.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I hate the trend of the video windows you can’t avoid. Lots of times I’ll attempt to close a video window but in many cases it will just reappear. Then there is the incredibly busy Forbes site, I don’t even try to read it outside of reader view.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

In the Stuff I Don't Get department, why do so many companies think that going out of their way to annoy potential customers is a good idea?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    In the Stuff I Don't Get department, why do so many companies think that going out of their way to annoy potential customers is a good idea?
    Along those lines are the companies that send email ads every day. Now, there are some sites that will send occasional and useful emails, but the ones that send garbage daily I either tell to stop or block them. The daily nonsense is self defeating.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

You can download You Tube files and play them back from your storage faster, and without the adverts. Then, delete them (unless they're worth saving).

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Yes, and that reminds me of YouTube advertising. Used to be I’d get ads at the start, but if they were longer than a certain amount there would be an option to skip it. Then ads mostly stopped and stayed that way for a long time, that seemed to be due to a wave of demonetization, and a number of content creators either faded away or found alternate methods to get paid for their videos.

Now, though, they are playing ridiculously long ads to start, then interrupting short videos again sometimes with the same long ad. I find sometimes I can avoid it or get a different and shorter ad if I skip out of the video and restart, but it is a major pain.
    I ended up writing an article recently about how badly placed the ads often are, too--this includes when you're watching hour-long programming that originally had commercials in it, and it's not limited to YouTube. These are things where there's a natural commercial break, and that is never where streaming channels put the ads. Even more irritating, there's a collection of Sesame Street alphabet songs we've been watching for years, and quite recently, they've started interrupting the first one with an ad. If you can't even get through the alphabet before putting in an ad on children's programming, and it's an ad aimed at adults, that's a problem.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I need a haircut. Ok, make that a fringe trim!

So do I but The Wife suggested waiting until were closer to our WA trip near the end of the month. Shes not wrong.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Pre-pandemic, I bought a home haircut kit. It was a good investment. Every two weeks, Mrs Extravoice runs it over my head. Given that Im well into balding, she only has to set one length.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    So do I but The Wife suggested waiting until we’re closer to our WA trip near the end of the month. She’s not wrong.
    I can't even invite you to the Pumpkin Pitch this time. Nuts. Enjoy Levenworth, assuming that's where you're going.

I can't even invite you to the Pumpkin Pitch this time. Nuts. Enjoy Levenworth, assuming that's where you're going.
    Thanks. We'll eventually wind up in Leavenworth but with Oktoberfest having been canceled again—and replaced with an "Oktoberfest market"—this trip is more about the wine. We'll be one night in Prosser, three in Walla Walla, and three in Leavenworth (including a day trip to Chelan) before heading back to SEA-TAC for the last night.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Enjoy Levenworth, assuming that's where you're going.
    That sounds bad out of context.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Enjoy Levenworth, assuming that's where you're going.
    That sounds bad out of context.
    This sounds worse:

We'll eventually wind up in Leavenworth...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    This sounds worse:
    At least were not going to Hell.

At least we’re not going to Hell.
    On a trip to Europe we flew a leg from Singapore to Helsinki. The ticket routing, listing the airport codes, was Sin to Hel.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    On a trip to Europe we flew a leg from Singapore to Helsinki. The ticket routing, listing the airport codes, was Sin to Hel.
    I did that. But then I continued to LHR, so I'm not sure what that was.

HEL airport seemed OK, maybe a little sparse. The first time I was there (more than 30 years ago), I was tired beyond words. I was in better condition the last few times.

One of these years, you should make the stop in Olympia--it's lovely, and we'd love to get together.

We paid Sandy's preschool tuition for the year yesterday. Because we found out yesterday what days and times she's going to be in preschool. She starts next week.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    One of these years, you should make the stop in Olympia--it's lovely, and we'd love to get together.
    I'd like that but it's a 100-mile round trip in the opposite direction from our usual itinerary. Our Western Service Area offices are now located in Des Moines, WA and I'm hoping that we'll resume occasional business trips in the far flung post-COVID future. I've long thought of tacking an extra day onto one of those trips.

I'm presumably the last person in the world to notice this, but I have a message for Bob Dylan:

Let me ask you one question:
    Is your money that good?
    Will it buy you forgiveness?
    Do you think that it could?

That's three questions, Bob.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

I ordered an item from Amazon on Aug 29th. At the time, it had an expected delivery date of Sep16-18th.

On the 30th, I received a notification that the estimated delivery was moved up to Sep11-13th.

As of Tuesday (the 7th), the website was showing an estimated delivery date of Sep 9th (today), even though it didn't show as having been shipped yet.

Today I received a notification that they are cancelling the order and refunding my money because the item is not available.

I don't get it (pun intended).

This post may be a pun, but I discovered this fine specimen on our gate a few days ago.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_20210912_121602.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	26439
    I don't think I've ever seen a stick insect in the wild. I've seen pictures and stuff on TV, but this is rural /suburban SW England.
    Maybe it's escaped. The most romantic scenario would be that it's from the local zoo, but it's probably a private collector.

I spotted it just as we were leaving the house, it was gone when we returned. Presumably they walk everywhere which is a risky business near a road. It bugs me that I don't know anything about the creature and its travels.

ETA - I googled the subject, apparently there are three types of stick insect that have made their way to the UK, all natively living in the southwest.
    Mostly from New Zealand I think.
    Also, they can actually fly!

Buglife
    https://www.buglife.org.uk/bugs/bug-...stick-insects/

We have just had to take my wife's bike to the bike repair shop. On Saturday we were riding across a small bridge on a dual-use path when a pedestrian decided to wander in front of her. I had rung my bell in warning before we passed him. He was walking alongside someone pushing a bike and did not move into single file when warned but moved over a bit before drifting out again. She was able to avoid him but collided with the fence of the bridge. Luckily she was going very slowly and didn't fall off. While she was a bit shaken everything seemed ok. Then yesterday when we went out her chain dropped off and then the gears refused to change.

It turns out that the rear wheel derailleur was bent. The bike shop was able to straighten it and re-adjust the gears for a small fee. Everything is now working ok but she is a bit gun shy.