Page 503 of 519 FirstFirst ... 3403453493501502503504505513 ... LastLast
Results 15,061 to 15,090 of 15561

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The stupid leather laces on my moccasin-slippers. They serve no useful function and won't stay tied.
    Been there, done that, sewed my own pair (from a kit) while in the scouts. Try wetting the laces before tying them. You should be able to make a much tighter knot. If that fails, try again but also add a small drop of white glue to each knot.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I'm going to run a stitch through the bows on the dress I made Sandy for my sister's wedding.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

A few weeks ago, I broke my wife's favorite ceramic mug we used for her iced lattes. So we just bought her a couple of new ones. Dishwasher and microwave safe, unlike the fallback we've been using. This is the one we bought. It's a double layer design for insulation, with an air space between the inner and outer ceramics. And a hole in the bottom, to let the air out when they fired it.

And to let the dishwasher water in, so it continually drips after you've washed it. Which we'd have known had we read the reviews.

I'm going to let them dry out for a couple of days and add some silicon.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Won't the silicone just blow out again as the dishwasher heats the trapped air? Or are you actually going to melt silicon into the hole?

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Won't the silicone just blow out again as the dishwasher heats the trapped air? Or are you actually going to melt silicon into the hole?

Grant Hutchison
    Dunno! I don't think it'll get all that much pressure. I'm talking about silicon sealant, of course, so it should be good for some pressure.

Dunno! I don't think it'll get all that much pressure. I'm talking about silicon sealant, of course, so it should be good for some pressure.
    This may be overcomplicating it, but you might try heating it lightly in an oven, remove it and then use use a dab of sealant on the hole. The idea being that as it cools the sealant will be drawn inwards if it hasn’t hardened yet, and won’t be as likely to be pushed out later when the cup is filled with hot liquid.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

That's not a bad idea. I just siliconed one of them, but may try that on the other.

This may be undercomplicating it, but have you considered just hand-washing the thing?
    Not that we own a dishwasher, but we have a pestle with a similar hole and (by the heft of it) a large interior void. It takes about ten seconds to wash it without getting water inside.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

A few weeks ago, I broke my wife's favorite ceramic mug we used for her iced lattes. So we just bought her a couple of new ones. Dishwasher and microwave safe, unlike the fallback we've been using. This is the one we bought. It's a double layer design for insulation, with an air space between the inner and outer ceramics. And a hole in the bottom, to let the air out when they fired it.

And to let the dishwasher water in, so it continually drips after you've washed it. Which we'd have known had we read the reviews.

I just read the 1-star reviews on Amazon. You aren't alone.

My aunt and I planned a week in advance to meet at my apartment, walk to an Indian restaurant in my neighborhood to get dinner, and then bring it to the park down the street. The weather looked great as today got closer and closer, and it was sunny (if quite hot) for all of the day until I was driving back to headquarters at 4:30. When I got off work, thundershowers had blown in and my aunt said we should reschedule for Friday.

Maybe it’s an Asperger’s thing but I feel kind of disproportionately upset about having to change my plans on such short notice when I was looking forward to it all week, even though I know it’s a really trivial thing.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

That's not a bad idea. I just siliconed one of them, but may try that on the other.
    If all else fails, I can recommend the Yeti tumbler[/url]. I have the Rambler 20oz tumbler and while it is a bit on the speedy side, it keeps my morning coffee drinkable until lunch time…or later. They have a 16oz model but the 20oz accommodates the typical coffee shop “Grande” with some comfort room to spare. Replacement lids/parts are readily available, too. If you’re looking to make one a gift, they also offer laser customization.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

*cough* RTIC *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    *cough* RTIC *cough*
    I’ve heard good things about them, too but have no personal experience with them. I note that their customization service—if that’s your thing—is in case lot quantities only. However, if I need parts for my Yeti, I have only to visit my local Cabela’s or Bass Pro Shops stores.

I've got an RTIC cooler and have been very pleased with it. But yeah, for individual customization you'd need to find a local outfit that provides the service.

Socks for which I can’t tell which is the inside and which is the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManWithNoName View Post
    Socks for which I can’t tell which is the inside and which is the outside.
    The only kind I buy.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    My aunt and I planned a week in advance to meet at my apartment, walk to an Indian restaurant in my neighborhood to get dinner, and then bring it to the park down the street. The weather looked great as today got closer and closer, and it was sunny (if quite hot) for all of the day until I was driving back to headquarters at 4:30. When I got off work, thundershowers had blown in and my aunt said we should reschedule for Friday.

Maybe it’s an Asperger’s thing but I feel kind of disproportionately upset about having to change my plans on such short notice when I was looking forward to it all week, even though I know it’s a really trivial thing.
    I feel your pain; those last minute changes to something I am looking forward to always bug me.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

After getting some assorted things for nieces apartment I find out she does noot need them but could use school supplies.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post

When you anticipate something for a while, your brain builds associations and connections around it. Then you imagine that scenario in greater detail. Having the actual experience snatched away feels like having the rug pulled out from under you.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I got the dress code for faire last night. There has been much drama over this, with rumours it's bad. It is. I found out the reason it took so long to see it was that the merchant coordinator thinks it's nonsense, too. I've offered to seek out period paintings that violate dress code, which is an attempt to be "authentic." For a fantasy faire. Apparently, only the customers are allowed to participate in the fantasy part.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Going thru a self upgrade of internet and cable, got the first tv hooked up and found out some channels need to be subscribed to but we are already and found out I need a new power bar because the plug is oddly shaped. Also watched a flat earth video several times because I found a free video capture software but it also recoded to tv in the background the second time, so had to do it again.

More of a "makes me sad": Finally accepting that there's just not going to be a Pumpkin Pitch this year, I just came in from disassembling my catapults. I'm going to take the trailer mounted one completely apart for the first time in several years which will allow me to park my truck in the lower garage.
    Talking to the organizer, it looks like there may never be one again. We haven't been able to attract any new entrants so the field has been sparse the last couple of times.

That is sad. And IIRC, there used to be two such annual events in your area.

Yes, there did. Good days!

I used to read the Popehat blog. Which was mostly by Ken White, although he was more under the radar in those days. Then he moved to Twitter. (No link because politics, you can probably figure it out.) So I've been reading that (not "following", I don't have a Twitter account) for a couple of years. No problems, until today when....
    As soon as I clicked on the bookmark a little window popped up saying "Log in or create an account". It had an x in the corner so I clicked on that, it closed, and I could read Ken's Twitter. Except every time I tried to open an image or click on a retweet, I got that little window and x-ing out of it took me back to where I was, instead of opening what I clicked on. So they've decided to force everyone to have an account now. Nuts to that.

Oh,yeah, hoping they won't read this: Using an incognito window stops it!

Right now in the middle of the usual mid to late summer stuff moving wood around in the wood shed getting ready for the load of all ready split and cut wood, learning a few computer languages online, trying to finally do some weeding in the garden. Should get up earlier in the morning, while should not start morning by the computer. Bit of a funny thing happened today got a check from the provincial government for training in the elections in the spring, trying to sign up for working in the federal elections which have just been called. Just a busy time of year I guess.

And getting fiber glass all over can be itchy for a couple of days, we have some because in the garden you can use it to cover small vegetables and prevent bugs from getting into them.

I’ve never joined Twitter, for one thing because the short posting limit makes it hard to explain a nuanced argument, aiding misunderstanding, but easy to hurl short insults at people, and I haven’t wanted to be tempted to get into the common pointless arguments there.

However, I do check Twitter when I see a link on, for instance, SpaceX. Unfortunately, just recently they made a change that any time you go to Twitter it brings up a pop-up window about joining or logging in. That’s a little annoying but the bigger issue is if you click on any image to expand it or any link to more discussion, instead of doing what you ask, it just brings up that stupid pop-up again.

It’s their right, of course, but severely limits access to Twitter without signing up and logging in. Blech.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I’ve never joined Twitter, for one thing because the short posting limit makes it hard to explain a nuanced argument, aiding misunderstanding, but easy to hurl short insults at people, and I haven’t wanted to be tempted to get into the common pointless arguments there.

However, I do check Twitter when I see a link on, for instance, SpaceX. Unfortunately, just recently they made a change that any time you go to Twitter it brings up a pop-up window about joining or logging in. That’s a little annoying but the bigger issue is if you click on any image to expand it or any link to more discussion, instead of doing what you ask, it just brings up that stupid pop-up again.

It’s their right, of course, but severely limits access to Twitter without signing up and logging in. Blech.
    For places like that, I just sign up under a fake name. Unlike here, where I use my real name.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post

I posted about that earlier. Fortunately going incognito fixes the problem.
    This kind of action by Twitter makes it less likely I'll sign up, not more.