Page 5 of 517 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Are we speaking about writing it that way, or people saying it?

I don't know any other way to pronounce could've as anything else but "could of". (actually "could ov" with the o kind of slurred with a bit of air, but they do sound similar in conversation)
    Writing. In conversational writing, I use a lot of non-standard contractions because they're written versions of how people actually say things. Every one of them, despite the fact that you hear people say it a lot, has been commented on at least once.

Actually, one of Graham's textbooks for this quarter has a chapter-long strawman against prescriptivists which goes on about how we all believe you should never use contractions. And I wouldn't, in a term paper. However, the author seems to think that all writing is thought by people like me to be formal writing, and that we all insist on far stricter rules than most of the prescriptivists I know, and know of, really do. He implies that we don't know that language changes and evolves. Frankly, I spent a lot more time ranting about that book than it deserved, and poor Graham didn't care anywhere near as much as I did, though I think he still mostly agreed with me.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by redshifter View Post
    Having to get used to a new forum look that I'm not sure I like yet...no offense to those that have probably worked quite hard to make it happen!
    Bottom left hand of the page, change the drop-down box from "CosmoQuest" to "vb4 Default Style".
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Bottom left hand of the page, change the drop-down box from "CosmoQuest" to "vb4 Default Style".
    Been there, done that. Hope it sticks, with a cookie or something.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Thanks!

Are we speaking about writing it that way, or people saying it?

I don't know any other way to pronounce could've as anything else but "could of". (actually "could ov" with the o kind of slurred with a bit of air, but they do sound similar in conversation)
    Writing. In textbooks, even. (Not ones for English class!)
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Or people who write "a couple things." is it that hard to add two letters?

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Or people who write "a couple things." is it that hard to add two letters?
    You mean "a couple've things"?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Writing. In conversational writing, I use a lot of non-standard contractions because they're written versions of how people actually say things. Every one of them, despite the fact that you hear people say it a lot, has been commented on at least once.
    "couldn't've"?

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

I do hate it when one of the local newswomen refers to an ongoing "sitchyation".

But, I came here to vent about the most trivial annoyance I know.

When you are making a cup of tea and you have the teabag in the cup already, and as you pour the water the teabag inflates with air somehow and floats to the top of the water and then acts like a pain in the keister as you try to dunk in back down.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Thanks, Don! That's just the sort of trivial trivia I was looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    When you are making a cup of tea and you have the teabag in the cup already, and as you pour the water the teabag inflates with air somehow and floats to the top of the water .....
    Rats. I have been semi-consciously annoyed about this ever since I started to use teabags, and now with your bringing it to my attention, I'm going to be even more annoyed. That is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    Rats. I have been semi-consciously annoyed about this ever since I started to use teabags, and now with your bringing it to my attention, I'm going to be even more annoyed. That is annoying.
    Peri, you get around that one by pouring the water first, then adding the tea bag.

It's just some mornings I'm sleepier than others.

Another trivial one then.

On cold mornings that fart smell some catalytic converters put out when their owners start their engines.

Just ruins that winter morning walk.

Peri, you get around that one by pouring the water first, then adding the tea bag..
    I'm afraid we Brits are genetically programmed always to pour boiling water onto the tea leaves, always. In fact, it's trivially annoying to see people making tea in an unauthorized manner as you suggest.

Pronouncing nuclear "nucular."

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    broadcast professionals who pronounce "especially" as "exspecially" - irks me no end :>

Nonlanguage beef: the ability of a hose, extension cord, or the like to actively seek out and become entangled with any object. A corollary is the ability to form true (i.e., topological) knots in said hose or cord despite both ends being firmly anchored. I am convinced there is a hyperspatial drive lurking in there somewhere.

Mental beef: taking the time to create a carefully thought out shopping list first, then going to the market and realizing you left the list at home.

When tossing items in the trash bin, only the wet, messy bits miss the lip and hit the floor.

People who give directions that end with, "You can't miss it." Try me.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    Nonlanguage beef: the ability of a hose, extension cord, or the like to actively seek out and become entangled with any object.
    The briefcase strap always catching the emergency brake when leaving the car. Even after adjusting the location of the strap to prevent it from happening.

I had a new screen door installed last year (outside of my front door). Instead of a round knob, I now have a 4" horizontal handle - very nice, except that every morning, with arms full of various assorted stuff and headed to the car, I step out onto the porch and hold the screen door open with my back while I turn around to pull the main door shut. As I back out onto the porch, the new, pretty bronze handle enters my pocket and stops my progress (regress?) with a lurch. Especially bad on days when I decide to take a cup of coffee along for the ride.

The strange affair between picking up something with both hands causing an immediate need to sneeze.

When you are making a cup of tea and you have the teabag in the cup already, and as you pour the water the teabag inflates with air somehow and floats to the top of the water and then acts like a pain in the keister as you try to dunk in back down.
    Or the opposite. I put the tea bag in the cup, start adding hot water, the water pushes the tea bag deeper into the cup and it pulls the string and little paper tab in with it.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They dont alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

The briefcase strap always catching the emergency brake when leaving the car. Even after adjusting the location of the strap to prevent it from happening.
    Guys who carry man-purses.

(Runs head down towards for the door in a serpentine fashion.)

Does laptop case sound better?
    Besides, I can't imagine myself chasing you. I wouldn't know what to do when I caught up.

(Runs head down towards for the door in a serpentine fashion.)
    Murses? Guy I used to work with starting carrying one of those...we gave him LOTS of grief about that one...

I almost never have that problem since I switched to loose teas. I either use a tea strainer or...for the finer teas...I use a do-it-yourself tea bag (t-sac brand). The extra large t-sacs also come in handy for making herb/spice sachets.

On the subject of linguistic annoyances, I have a coworker who pronounces "correct" as "correck" and "district" as "districk".
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Does laptop case sound better?
    Besides, I can't imagine myself chasing you. I wouldn't know what to do when I caught up.
    One time this tiny old Chinese man in Singapore hit me over the head with a large empty soy sauce bottle. The big restarant kind.

That seemed to work.

(According to eye witnesses who were standing back a ways, another sailor, drunker than seven bells, had reached around me and groped his wife's backside, who had a full serving tray in each hand. The old guy thought I did it and cold-cocked me. I had a lump, but no blood. After I heard the reason I refused to press charges and all the other Chinese food and beverage stall owners treated our party extra nice and loaded us up with food and beer.)

The person in checkout line just ahead of you who hangs back at least 10 feet from the person actually checking out. >:-(

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    The person in checkout line just ahead of you who hangs back at least 10 feet from the person actually checking out. >:-(
    Or the person just ahead of you in the checkout line who pays with an actual check...

Quote Originally Posted by redshifter View Post
    Or the person just ahead of you in the checkout line who pays with an actual check...
    ...and doesn't even begin to fill it out until the order is totaled...assuming the checkbook is even out of pocket or purse yet.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    Nonlanguage beef: the ability of a hose, extension cord, or the like to actively seek out and become entangled with any object. A corollary is the ability to form true (i.e., topological) knots in said hose or cord despite both ends being firmly anchored. I am convinced there is a hyperspatial drive lurking in there somewhere.

Mental beef: taking the time to create a carefully thought out shopping list first, then going to the market and realizing you left the list at home.

When tossing items in the trash bin, only the wet, messy bits miss the lip and hit the floor.

People who give directions that end with, "You can't miss it." Try me.
    All of the above! Including everything between that post and this one. Except for ones dealing with tea. I've never had to remove the coffee bag from my coffee or the grape bag from my wine.

Now I've done one for Gillian with my sentence fragments.