Page 467 of 472 FirstFirst ... 367417457465466467468469 ... LastLast
Results 13,981 to 14,010 of 14146

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

What is this "land line" you speak of? It is from the Before Time!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

It's the number we keep active just in case somebody still has it. That's happened maybe once in the past year. The cable modem DOES have a built-in battery, whose main function is to keep me from restarting the modem when there's an internet problem.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    When I call the useless outage line for our power supplier, an automated voice helpfully tells me that based on my phone number, they've determined the power is out in my area. Yeah, noticed that.
    Then they offer to give me a call back when it's on. Yeah, I think I'll notice that as well.
    If I got a text from my internet company yesterday, it was the one I got late in the afternoon that was just random symbols.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Flood in the laundry room (and parts of kitchen and bathroom). The drain hose came out of the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I have a package that has been listed as "leaving the USA" since December 4th, when it was first notified to the UK's Royal Mail.
    From 4th December to 22nd January, it was "leaving the USA". Then logged into the UK in the early hours of yesterday morning, and with me at lunchtime today. Weird.

Grant Hutchison

That sounds about right if it was sent on a wooden sailing ship.

I've got something the company that sent it claims will be here tomorrow. It left Kentucky today. I suspect it will not be here tomorrow.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Maybe the USPS is getting better. I ordered something from upstate NY earlier in the week, and they claim it is at my local post office for delivery tomorrow.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Really trivial stuff that bugs me? The Buffalo Bills.
    Solfe

Ya, that is a ridiculously stupid name for a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Really trivial stuff that bugs me? The Buffalo Bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Ya, that is a ridiculously stupid name for a team.
    This is more "amuses" than bugs, but when you think about team names, they are pretty much all either predators (Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!) or not-very-nice people, like Raiders, Vikings, and of course, Buccaneers. One of my local teams is an exception, the Mariners; but the other is a bird of prey. And of course there's our upcoming NHL team, The Kraken! The only herbivores that come immediately to mind would be Colts and Broncos.

Having been diagnosed with T2 Diabetes in November, this morning I had a class (via MS Teams) on it, the first of four. One of the the things the dietician talked about was a method of control by counting "Carbohydrate choices". One "choice" being 15 grams, or some such. I find it to be a terrible "choice" of words. "Servings" would be much more appropriate.

This is more "amuses" than bugs, but when you think about team names, they are pretty much all either predators (Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!) or not-very-nice people, like Raiders, Vikings, and of course, Buccaneers. One of my local teams is an exception, the Mariners; but the other is a bird of prey. And of course there's our upcoming NHL team, The Kraken! The only herbivores that come immediately to mind would be Colts and Broncos.
    Our local professional baseball team is the Canaries. Strikes fear in the hearts of all opponents, I tell you!

As for the Bills - as a Chiefs fan (or, really, a Patrick Mahomes fan), I have to say that Sunday's game didn't bug me too much. The first ten minutes or so were a little annoying, but not the rest of the game. I image it's exactly the opposite for Solfe.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Having been diagnosed with T2 Diabetes in November, this morning I had a class (via MS Teams) on it, the first of four. One of the the things the dietician talked about was a method of control by counting "Carbohydrate choices". One "choice" being 15 grams, or some such. I find it to be a terrible "choice" of words. "Servings" would be much more appropriate.
    They want it so sink in that YOU control what you eat; hence "choices." As in "I CHOOSE to eat a pint of ice cream in one sitting." vs. "OK that's four servings of ice cream."

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    They want it so sink in that YOU control what you eat; hence "choices." As in "I CHOOSE to eat a pint of ice cream in one sitting." vs. "OK that's four servings of ice cream."
    I have just CHOSEN to eat five Jojos cookies from Trader Joe's!

Well, the idea (as I'm sure you now know if you were sitting up straight and taking notes during the presentation) is that the various choices represent alternatives, among which you choose and permutate, so you can keep within a particular carb limit. And one of these choices is often not what anyone would call a "serving", unless they routinely eat half a hamburger bun, an ounce of chapati, or quarter of a large baked potato.

Grant Hutchison

Well, the idea (as I'm sure you now know if you were sitting up straight and taking notes during the presentation) is that the various choices represent alternatives, among which you choose and permutate, so you can keep within a particular carb limit. And one of these choices is often not what anyone would call a "serving", unless they routinely eat half a hamburger bun, an ounce of chapati, or quarter of a large baked potato.

Grant Hutchison
    In the US at least, tiny "serving" sizes are a dodge to get around labelling laws for content and calories. By making nominal servings ridiculously small, the stated stats on the package are made to seem under reasonable limits. See also, false advertising, and also also, obesity problems of a Western diet. Third also, "stuff that's blatantly obvious to any rational observer but still legal".

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    In the US at least, tiny "serving" sizes are a dodge to get around labelling laws for content and calories. By making nominal servings ridiculously small, the stated stats on the package are made to seem under reasonable limits.
    You know that the US labeling laws include requirements for determining serving size, right? The company can't just arbitrarily choose a "ridiculously small" serving size.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    You know that the US labeling laws include requirements for determining serving size, right? The company can't just arbitrarily choose a "ridiculously small" serving size.
    Without getting political I can't comment further on US lawmaking.

Part of what's happening on that issue is that, whenever & wherever the amounts that people really get served keep creeping up, any fixed official size appears to shrink in comparison.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I noted my experiences after that diagnosis two years ago. Initially by cutting out carbs and using fats, cream and cheese plus fish and olive oil, I quickly lost more than 10 kilos, 22 lbs. Easing up I now eat grain type bread but no potatoes and have no diabetes signs and normal blood sugar levels. I read that losing that first 10 kg is the important step. Never mind portions, I would say go fo a month of protein and fats, no alcohol and check the weight loss. The great thing about eating fats is you dont get hungry. .
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Without getting political I can't comment further on US lawmaking.
    I can only refer you to the FDA statement on this topic:
    What and how much people eat and drink has changed since the last serving size requirements were published in 1993. By law, the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act, requires that serving sizes be based on what people actually eat.
    Basically, a serving is not a portion is not a carb choice.
    A portion is what people choose to eat, or have placed in front of them in a restaurant.
    A serving is a legally defined quantity of food, notionally aligned with the dietary habits of the population, for which certain nutritional data are provided by the manufacturer. The fact that a quantity of foodstuff is marked as a serving doesn't imply that it's a good idea to eat it--it's just an estimate of what people who eat that stuff generally eat.
    A carb choice is a standard amount of carbohydrate. Since some foods contain more carbs than others, there is no way in which carb choices can be aligned with servings--some servings may contain 2 carb choices, while others contain only a half.

Grant Hutchison

One of my local teams is an exception, the Mariners; but the other is a bird of prey.
    A fictional bird of prey. And not like the Kraken; from what I can work out, a seahawk exists only in the imagination of whoever named our team!

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    A fictional bird of prey. And not like the Kraken; from what I can work out, a seahawk exists only in the imagination of whoever named our team!
    In these parts, sea-hawk is a fine old word for either a sea eagle or one of the several different local species of skua. So it's one of those cross-species labels like seagull. And I suspect if sea-hawk had retained currency into modern times it would, like sea-gull, have lost its hyphen.

Grant Hutchison

Grant Hutchison
    I had to look up "chapati"; and have bookmarked that page. I've also logged my slice of toast with vegemite as 1.5 choices.
    In the US at least, tiny "serving" sizes are a dodge to get around labelling laws for content and calories. By making nominal servings ridiculously small, the stated stats on the package are made to seem under reasonable limits. See also, false advertising, and also also, obesity problems of a Western diet. Third also, "stuff that's blatantly obvious to any rational observer but still legal".
    That used to be the case but has not been for some time. A can of soda used to be labeled as two servings. Now it's one, because that's how people drink it.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I noted my experiences after that diagnosis two years ago. Initially by cutting out carbs and using fats, cream and cheese plus fish and olive oil, I quickly lost more than 10 kilos, 22 lbs. Easing up I now eat grain type bread but no potatoes and have no diabetes signs and normal blood sugar levels. I read that losing that first 10 kg is the important step. Never mind portions, I would say go fo a month of protein and fats, no alcohol and check the weight loss. The great thing about eating fats is you dont get hungry. .
    Yup, that's what I'm hoping for. I've lost 15 pounds so far. But I'm drinking too much wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    "Seahawk" is commonly considered as referring to the Osprey.

I had to look up "chapati"; and have bookmarked that page.
    The chapati has a leavened cousin, the naan, and a crispy cousin, the poppadom/papadum. In the UK, a curry night wouldn't be a curry night without a selection from that list.
    "Seahawk" is commonly considered as referring to the Osprey.
    That's interesting. Ospreys are largely freshwater fishers here in Scotland. My brother recently saw one working the local river estuary, but in general they're associated with inland lochs.

Grant Hutchison

That's interesting. Ospreys are largely freshwater fishers here in Scotland. My brother recently saw one working the local river estuary, but in general they're associated with inland lochs.
    Ospreys range widely across North America (LINK). In Ohio, as in Scotland, they are associated with freshwater, but I gather they will also hunt in oceans. I also didn't know that "seahawk" referred to them. Around Ohio I have heard them called "fish-hawks", but I'm not sure that is a very common name.

One of the coolest things I find about ospreys is that when they are carrying a fish in their talons, they orient the fish so that it is pointing straight ahead, so it is more aerodynamic. I've actually have seen them do that with my eyeballs.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    One of the coolest things I find about ospreys is that when they are carrying a fish in their talons, they orient the fish so that it is pointing straight ahead, so it is more aerodynamic. I've actually have seen them do that with my eyeballs.
    Yes. The Boon Companion and I once stayed in a hotel a few miles from a loch which annually hosts a nesting pair of osprey. We hiked across country and then descended quietly through the trees to the lochside.
    "Do you think we'll see one?" she whispered, just as we caught our first glimpse of the shore. Five seconds later, an osprey flew by with a hefty trout in its talons, turned head-on to the air-flow.
    "I think we might."

Grant Hutchison

The hyphenless sea hawk is also one of the common names used for the western osprey, along with river hawk and fish hawk. I'd heard of that name but I've never actually heard it in common usage.

I'm not really a football fan but the Seahawks are the adopted 'home team' of many Alaskans, so I poked around at their history a bit out of curiosity. Interestingly, the Seahawks' mascot...the real bird, not the costumed character...is an augur buzzard (Buteo augur) named Taima. Odd thing is, they're native to a relatively small region of eastern Africa. They also call her a hawk, I suppose because buzzard is a common name in the US for the turkey vulture. Shame really. Buzzards are quite handsome.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

The chapati has a leavened cousin, the naan, and a crispy cousin, the poppadom/papadum. In the UK, a curry night wouldn't be a curry night without a selection from that list.
    I hadnít heard of it either. I am familiar with nann bread, though. I believe Indian food is a fair bit more popular in the UK. I never had any until well into adulthood and havenít really developed a taste for it. Restaurants and specialty food stores are much more common than they used to be, though.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser