Page 466 of 473 FirstFirst ... 366416456464465466467468 ... LastLast
Results 13,951 to 13,980 of 14161

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

This is reaching the absurd level, and maybe should be posted in the “amuses me” thread.

The package I mailed via “priority mail” on Dec 11, is finally on the move again. Unfortunately, it is going in the wrong direction. Instead of heading east from New Jersey toward its destination on Long Island, it has gone west into Pennsylvania. It has already visited multiple states in the Southeast US, having vacationed over Christmas in Florida.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    This is reaching the absurd level, and maybe should be posted in the “amuses me” thread.

The package I mailed via “priority mail” on Dec 11, is finally on the move again. Unfortunately, it is going in the wrong direction. Instead of heading east from New Jersey toward its destination on Long Island, it has gone west into Pennsylvania. It has already visited multiple states in the Southeast US, having vacationed over Christmas in Florida.
    I have a package that has been listed as "leaving the USA" since December 4th, when it was first notified to the UK's Royal Mail.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I have a reader of my blog objecting to how I disseminate data. He objects to logging into websites to purchase my books, he objects to having a Google account to access Google drive files. If it was a one time thing or an issue that affected many users, I'd change. I made the mistake of giving him a complementary copy of my book and on reading the cover price, he asked me why I charge money* for it. Then he complained about the cost of having to print it out.

Hmmm.

If it was a physical book, the solution would be easy. I'd snatch the book from his hands and hit him with it. And keep it afterwards.

*Edit - What makes this particularly galling is all of my books are pay what you want, even $0.00. So, he couldn't or wouldn't read the letters on the page.
    Sounds like a real peach. Hit the Ignore button.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I have a package that has been listed as "leaving the USA" since December 4th, when it was first notified to the UK's Royal Mail.
    I had a package coming from Europe to here (SE Asia). The supplier told me I can't complain about shipment not received until 30 days have passed. Then when I did complain, they told me it's too late, because more than 40 days have passed.

A rather narrow window of opportunity.

I now procure from a local supplier. They're more expensive, but . . .
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

This morning, I grabbed a pair of pajama bottoms out of my drawer. When I put them on, a pin stuck out of the waistband and gashed my hand open. Somehow, I thought, I'd left a safety pin in there--I tend to thread elastic by pinning a safety pin to one end and pulling it through that way, but it was weird that I'd left it in there. I worked it out of there, despite the nearly inch-long cut under my right thumb, and put on the pants. Which is when I discovered that, for some reason, I'd only ever pinned the elastic closed and not sewed it. So I have to rethread the elastic on those now.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

So not quite a “safety” pin.
    Hopefully, you’ll heal quickly.

Yeah, it's not a bad cut but in a very annoying place, pretty much across the entire base of my thumb. On my right hand, naturally.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Remember that package that was last spotted in New York City on its way to Long Island, NY?

Bad news. It is now in Kansas City, Missouri, about 1200 miles in the wrong direction.

It has now been in transit for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Remember that package that was last spotted in New York City on its way to Long Island, NY?

Bad news. It is now in Kansas City, Missouri, about 1200 miles in the wrong direction.

It has now been in transit for a month.
    I have that problem with Amazon

I have a package that said it was delivered Saturday that was not. It said it was in my mailbox. But even if it had been dropped of at my door, we don't get traffic on our street, and it wasn't stolen.

This morning, the game I play on my tablet most often keeps crashing. The game I play on my computer most often has been freezing my computer!

"You can't erase icing."

Today we got a letter from a gold exploratory company basically saying they have rights to investigate gold on our property. They have a found a major stream in an old fault line, like in the hundred of thousands of ounces range and we are just at the end the zone they are looking into, I kind of hoping they don't because I don't want the land all torn up, but by the promotional video the have it is not clear exactly on whose property it is on.
    Here is the link to the company and a video that explains the project. At 4:50 or so there is a map of the area of the claim, there are 4 blobs to the left just outside the outline and that is roughly were we are. This is just posted to explain the situation.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2021-Jan-11 at 06:26 PM.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Today we got a letter from a gold exploratory company basically saying they have rights to investigate gold on our property.
    I’m not sure if it works the same in Canada, but in the US by default the property owner owns mining rights and can say when someone like this can come onto the property. Of course, mining rights can be sold, or a property can be purchased with an easement already in place. I wouldn’t take the company’s word for it, I would want to make sure they have the rights they claim they have.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I’m not sure if it works the same in Canada, but in the US by default the property owner owns mining rights and can say when someone like this can come onto the property. Of course, mining rights can be sold, or a property can be purchased with an easement already in place. I wouldn’t take the company’s word for it, I would want to make sure they have the rights they claim they have.
    I am pretty sure we would have the mining rights. But we are some distance form where the main seam is, I think they are mostly taken a closer look to make sure.

I am pretty sure we would have the mining rights. But we are some distance form where the main seam is, I think they are mostly taken a closer look to make sure.
    I would recommend making really sure, and thinking about whether you want them on the property. Especially if they want to tear it up for exploration, unless they specifically have the right to do that, that should be subject to negotiation. Maybe everything’s okay, but the way you wrote it, it sounds like they are telling you what they will do, not asking for permission, and that’s concerning.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Today we got a letter from a gold exploratory company basically saying they have rights to investigate gold on our property. They have a found a major stream in an old fault line, like in the hundred of thousands of ounces range and we are just at the end the zone they are looking into, I kind of hoping they don't because I don't want the land all torn up, but by the promotional video the have it is not clear exactly on whose property it is on.
    Here is the link to the company and a video that explains the project. At 4:50 or so there is a map of the area of the claim, there are 4 blobs to the left just outside the outline and that is roughly were we are. This is just posted to explain the situation.
    Is the mining company owned by a "Nigerian Prince"? Cause it sure sounds scammy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Is the mining company owned by a "Nigerian Prince"? Cause it sure sounds scammy to me.
    There were surveys about 15 years ago or so.

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Not true throughout the US. Our state constitution provides that our natural resources belong to all Alaskans and charges the state government with managing them for common benefit.

Another thing to consider is that state/provincial laws may have something to say about where subsurface mineral rights begin and end. I recently read a story about a dispute between a property owner and a mining interest who sought to enforce rights to the goodies under the homeowner’s property. It turned out that in that locale, “subsurface” started (I think) 100 feet down. The homeowner retained rights to everything above that. This made the mining operation uneconomical and the company dropped its claims.

Even if the company in the instant case has a valid right to mine, property owners likely have some rights/protection, too. After all, they almost certainly wouldn’t be able to tear down a house to get at the gold...not without jumping through some legal hoops, anyway. If they have to dig or otherwise disturb the property, my non-lawyerly guess would be that owners may have rights to remediation of the property and other compensations.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

If this comes to anything I will consult with a friend of mine who is a lawyer of an uncle who is also a lawyer.

I would strongly suggest that you do get legal advice if the mining is likely to occur. Contrary to what appears to be the case in most of the United States in the UK, Australia and I believe Canada the property owner only owns the "surface rights". Minerals like Gold below that are the property of the Crown - represented in this case by the provincial government.

Here is a little piece from the New Brunswick Government website. There are links on that page to clarify right of access and use etc.

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/d...ploration.html
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Jan-12 at 01:06 PM.

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

I had a credit card bill arrive in the mail yesterday, 11 Jan. It had a due date identified as the day prior, 10 Jan. I initiated payment through my local bank, but the earliest payment can be made is 13 Jan.

I called the credit card company and waited 23 minutes to speak to a human. She said they couldn’t be sure if I would be changed a late fee or not. I should call if one appears on my next bill.

To be honest, the late bill is probably the Postal Service’s fault, but the late fee confusion is on them.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I would strongly suggest that you do get legal advice if the mining is likely to occur. Contrary to what appears to be the case in most of the United States in the UK, Australia and I believe Canada the property owner only owns the "surface rights". Minerals like Gold below that are the property of the Crown - represented in this case by the provincial government.

Here is a little piece from the New Brunswick Government website. There are links on that page to clarify right of access and use etc.

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/d...ploration.html
    Thanks, Ozduck. I bet there might some gold and I think there was nickel down there as well but it might be economical feasible to mine plus the are is full of streams, ponds and lakes that might be an environmental concern. but right now it is kind of wait and see moment.

Thanks, Ozduck. I bet there might some gold and I think there was nickel down there as well but it might be economical feasible to mine plus the are is full of streams, ponds and lakes that might be an environmental concern. but right now it is kind of wait and see moment.
    The way the Gold price has gone this year with an average price of US$1,769.59/oz the search and extraction of Gold has been at full blast. Certainly here in Western Australia miners have been making huge profits from record exports. Prospecting is also flat out and mines that were shuttered years ago are being re-opened.

Wait and see and seek legal advice, I'd suggest.

We've just gotten power back after an extended outage. We're much better off than most as we have a propane-powered generator, although it doesn't give us heat. I discovered this morning a couple of things that aren't on the generator: The night-light in my bathroom, and the lights in the walk-in pantry. That meant I walked into the pantry in the dark and stepped in the cat vomit.
    Fortunately the outlets in the pantry ARE on the generator, because that's where the coffee maker lives!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My package is being held at the destination post office for pickup. (Addressee has a tiny, neighborhood mailbox, so packages are held).

It took over a month to arrive. A back of the envelope calculation shows that I could have strapped it to my back and crawled for eight hours a day and delivered it in the same amount of time.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it wasn’t damaged during its extensive travels.

This is more than "bugs" (but we're having the conversation here). Over the last six weeks I've had three different bills that arrived late in the mail (after the date they were due). Luckily for two of them I had an idea they were coming due (based on when I paid the previous month) and were able to get the amounts due and send them out. One I got a couple of days after the due date, so it only got paid a couple of days late (hopefully I'll have no late fee).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I work nights. The past couple of days, people have put me on group chats, which means an incredible amount of noise while I'm sleeping. Apparently my phone only has two options, turn off all sound or mark text as spam.
    Solfe

Our power only went out for an hour or so the night Treb's did. However, our internet went out. And stayed out. I don't have a smart phone, so I texted my best friend and made her log into our account for me, and it said we'd be getting it back at 3:30 PM. Then we checked again and it said 11:30 PM. This morning, I borrowed Graham's smartphone and checked the account. It said our internet was out because power was out in our area. Which . . . we'd had power back for about thirty hours.

When we were doing all this checking, we signed up for text notification that our internet was back. It's been back something like twenty minutes now, and still no text!

"You can't erase icing."

When I call the useless outage line for our power supplier, an automated voice helpfully tells me that based on my phone number, they've determined the power is out in my area. Yeah, noticed that.
    Then they offer to give me a call back when it's on. Yeah, I think I'll notice that as well.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Even better: My landline goes out in a power outage. I could get a battery backup unit for the cable modem but if I need to I’ll use the cell phone. So the last two times I had a power outage, after the outage I have found a helpful voicemail on my landline’s number, sent during the outage, helpfully telling me there is an ongoing outage and how long they expect it to take to repair it. Which of course I never hear until after it’s fixed. To be fair, it isn’t the local power company’s fault I don’t hear it earlier, they are actually doing a good thing.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser